Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

We both had save files on our own memory cards where we'd beaten the game 101% or whatever the max is. I don't think she's even beaten another game in her hwole life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

i was once sent to germany to represent my country in the noble art of guitar hero 3 at the world cyber games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysElu_jRNuU this is cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol theres so much lag that they both miss like 40% of the ntoes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i like how they dont show the gameplay and they just cut between the two guys looking like assholes

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

lol theres so much lag that they both miss like 40% of the ntoes.

they had to find a way to make a game with a hard score cap into a competition

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

that video is from the year after i was there. i can see they did nothing to fix the glaring loving lag on the big stage (the opening matches were played on a smaller stage where the lag was fine)

e: wait no, 2008 was the year i was there. but the finals weren't witwix and wuffy, it was monkey and lo7_. i'm positive of this, wikipedia agrees with me too. what the hell

trying to jack off posted:

they had to find a way to make a game with a hard score cap into a competition

actually thanks to the way the star power system works, it's possible to squeeze a couple of extra points out of most songs with timing that ranges from "a frame or two" to "quite generous", even if you manage to otherwise get a full combo and get all the points from the hold notes and use the "normal" optimal star power path. sometimes these squeezes can require use of alternate star power paths that leave you with less points than the normal path if you gently caress them up - like most games, it's deeper than it first appears when you get into high-tier competitive play

but on the lower songs, yeah. i tied with my opponent in a really slow and easy song in one of my opening matches and then he demolished me on the tiebreaker because i hadn't practiced that song and didn't know the star power path

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 10, 2016

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
....holy gently caress. you walked amongst GODS such as monkey and lo7_??? :wth:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hizke posted:

....holy gently caress. you walked amongst GODS such as monkey and lo7_??? :wth:

The "high-level" guitar hero community at the time, such as it was, was pretty much confined to just a single fan-run site, so everyone p much knew who everyone else was

the only reason i still remember any of the players is because it was such a surreal experience to get flown to another country to compete in such a huge event (big expo hall, millions of euros in cumulative prize money) when i was like 15 years old

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

The "high-level" guitar hero community at the time, such as it was, was pretty much confined to just a single fan-run site, so everyone p much knew who everyone else was

the only reason i still remember any of the players is because it was such a surreal experience to get flown to another country to compete in such a huge event (big expo hall, millions of euros in cumulative prize money) when i was like 15 years old

i thought your story was cool even if he didnt :-)

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i activated wizard mode and got 380 milion points in virtual pinball table Medieval Madness so now i'm best at that, whew

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hizke posted:

Yeah it's gay to play games competitively. Additionally, hard mode is for fags.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Hizke posted:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mysterious loyall X posted:

i activated wizard mode and got 380 milion points in virtual pinball table Medieval Madness so now i'm best at that, whew

thats probably my favourite table. id love to own a real one one day

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

it is cool. i also think its silly that guitar hero got that big when theres games like guitar freaks that reward precision in your timing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're surprised that a copy pasted game design that just hides 90% of a player's faults and never tells them that they're bad was super popular? *glanced sidelong at Overwatch Origins Edition with 20 free lootcrates included* Haha yeah me too.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

You're surprised that a copy pasted game design that just hides 90% of a player's faults and never tells them that they're bad was super popular? *glanced sidelong at Overwatch Origins Edition with 20 free lootcrates included* Haha yeah me too.

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im just realising all those pro guitar hero players probably did try guitar freaks at some point and gave up because it was too hard lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Oh yeah i was pretty good at isaac getting both plat gods relatively fast and usually topping friends leaderboards. I think i ranked like on the top 200 on a daily once after it was over

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Qnqnqx and synthy beat me a couple of times tho

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

thats probably my favourite table. id love to own a real one one day

there's a repro table from a year or two ago that will only set you back 8 grand :thumbsup:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i'd get a medieval maddness or scared stiff table if i had a huge amount of cash to burn, but then having a 500 lbs pinball machine and having to upkeep it owuld be a nightmare

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I really want to play more pinball but i only own some humble bandles for the zen studio pinball which people told me was bad and installation size of like 10 gigs

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Oh yeah i was pretty good at isaac getting both plat gods relatively fast and usually topping friends leaderboards. I think i ranked like on the top 200 on a daily once after it was over

i only did less than 10 dailies cos i was very much over isaac by the time the ps4 version came out but i was in the top 100 for all of them and in the top 20 twice. who knows if anyone actually bought the ps4 version though becase it literally came out like 1 month ago . but im quite good at isaac too, i wouldnt say its in like myh top 10 of games im epic at though

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

i only did less than 10 dailies cos i was very much over isaac by the time the ps4 version came out but i was in the top 100 for all of them and in the top 20 twice. who knows if anyone actually bought the ps4 version though becase it literally came out like 1 month ago . but im quite good at isaac too, i wouldnt say its in like myh top 10 of games im epic at though
:cheers:

i dont think i have very many games im good at and isaac was a nice mix of playing the rules as much as it was dodging so i guess its in mine

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also consider myself above average at super meat boy and dustforce

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ArfJason posted:

I really want to play more pinball but i only own some humble bandles for the zen studio pinball which people told me was bad and installation size of like 10 gigs

Pinball Arcade is a lot better

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ArfJason posted:

also consider myself above average at super meat boy and dustforce

i 100%ed super meat boy when it first came out on 360 and then an update corrupted my save :rant:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ArfJason posted:

season 1 of pinball arcade is all solid but it hardly ever goes on sale so u have pay 30 dollars. season 3 is really good. 2 stinks [it's mostly gottlieb and stern tables no!!!]. idk about seasons 4 and 5 but adams family is a gr8 table

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

pinball fx2 is a joke compared to arcade, also pinball arcade is worth it because the sim is really good and its priced at a reasonable rate vs. real life pinball tables

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

pinball fx2 is a joke compared to arcade, also pinball arcade is worth it because the sim is really good and its priced at a reasonable rate vs. real life pinball tables

ya

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

goddamnit

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
season 1 probably will go on sale in the steam summer sale

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I wish I still had my iPad and knew what all my pinball arcade scores were because some were pretty freaking good. I also have probably played Junkyard IRL for a hundred hours and spent enough quarters on it that I could have paid for my own table. Nowhere near pro pinball player status but I could trigger the wizard mode pretty regularly and knew all the weird ways to game the system and stack multipliers and maximize score and it's definitely the table I'm best at

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Someone told me a bar here got Attack From Mars and I got really excited until I learned that it was actually the incredibly fail Pinball 2000 Attack From Mars sequel where literally half of the playfield is a video screen and most of your time is spent playing dumb video modes that do not involve mechanical pinball whatsoever. Im not sad that pinball basically died for a decade if that's the best poo poo they could come up with

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

Someone told me a bar here got Attack From Mars and I got really excited until I learned that it was actually the incredibly fail Pinball 2000 Attack From Mars sequel where literally half of the playfield is a video screen and most of your time is spent playing dumb video modes that do not involve mechanical pinball whatsoever. Im not sad that pinball basically died for a decade if that's the best poo poo they could come up with

sounds bad

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

yeah that thing is really bad and all the graphics in it look like pure poo poo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Plays way too fast too with a really open/boring playfield. Its in like perfect condition too which is even more agonizing considering all of the sick tables I've seen at other bars that are busted and broken to poo poo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I used to live within walking distance of a Lord of the Rings where the flippers were tuned too weak to ever make the ring shot and a Simpsons Pinball Party where the upper playfield flippers just plain didn't work :ughh:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i think orognal atrack from mars was a boring table as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

i think orognal atrack from mars was a boring table as well

its an easy table but thats the point

• Locked thread