Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
FallUI is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This was a good opportunity to start fresh from a clean install, for the last few years I've been coasting on the same set of semi-broken mods that I didn't feel like fixing or updating. I mostly just used a few QOL improvements so it's not a huge change, but man I forgot how crappy the default UI was. What's the current go-to general UI improvement, ideally something that's either been updated or is expected to be soon? I had been using DEFUI but that hasn't been updated since 2019.

FallUI

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Thanks, I'll give that a try! :cheers:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
In case anyone updated on accident before reading the kerfuffle, you can roll it back. The script extender guys detail how you can re download the previous files and delete the ones causing crashes. Here for anyone curious: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42147?tab=posts

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For people who use Better Locational Damage, do you have any good guides on ways to tweak the settings for tougher but still fair combat? Some enemies like Deathclaws and Sentry Bots seem balanced around having Power Armor equipped which would be fine if Deathclaws weren't random encounters. Sentry bots and raiders with miniguns are pretty well one hit KOs if you're wearing anything less than maxed out heavy armour pieces (then it's a two hit KO). It's certainly a lot faster than the base game bullet sponge enemies but the gameplay is still very run and gun which doesn't always play well with the lower health pools and stronger weapons.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
use explosives/rockets.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Run out, shoot one guy, run back get another mini nuke, go find another guy, repeat

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
buy the Spray & Pray from Cricket and perk up explosive damage
NB: you will frequently kill yourself

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Survival Options holotape lets you blanket dial up or down incoming and outgoing bullet damage, I don't think you need to be in survival mode for that to work.

E; I might be thinking of Cheating Terminal holotape tho
also super useful

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 28, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Try this instead - Game Configuration Menu - lets you tweak all sorts of settings including damage taken/received.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Relyssa posted:

Try this instead - Game Configuration Menu - lets you tweak all sorts of settings including damage taken/received.

Oh hey this looks useful for toning down those Automatron bot spawns after helping Ada

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

heard u like girls posted:

Oh hey this looks useful for toning down those Automatron bot spawns after helping Ada

It can do that, and it is a lifesaver for it.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Oh, wow nice. I usually never do that DLC because of how annoying they are, and I don't really care about building robots anyway.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Relyssa posted:

yeah this is a great mod

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So Creation Club mods. Never downloaded any and until the rest of the F4SE and framework mods are updated for the new patch I can't access the store. Are any of the CC mods worth paying for and are there any free ones in the collections as well?

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

So how can I tell if these wabbajack lists are gonna work with the new fallout patch? It doesn't seem clear

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

flashman posted:

So how can I tell if these wabbajack lists are gonna work with the new fallout patch? It doesn't seem clear

Magnum Opus has been updated for it and definitely works. Otherwise just run the program and it will yell at you if it didn't work.

Corzen
Dec 2, 2006

This is bullshit! Try again.

flashman posted:

You'll likely have to check the pack creator's notes or discord channel.

Generally, the more mods a pack contains, the more likely it won't work with the update. I've been playing Life in the Ruins and it will absolutely not work on the new update. And the pack creator has stated that it possibly never will since it contains so many mods that are no longer being updated.

I'd tread lightly on any of the Wabbajack mod packs working correctly until the pack creators release an update.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

There's a Release Candidate of Life in the Ruins available on Patreon (public link) that requires the newest patch, but that's because it's got a built-in downgrader. Its feature-complete and unless some big bugs are discovered, it'll go live as-is in a few days.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Is there a list somewhere of what’s compatible with the update now?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If the wabbajack lists are even vaguely maintained they usually get delisted briefly when they need updates

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/Sj5x9HF.mp4

:thunk:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think in a few months when the update issues are fixed I should give a modpack fallout4 playthrough a try and actually play the DLC I bought but never played, what are some of the mods or modpacks that extend the early game scarcity and survival and make combat slightly more fun with less bullet sponges and aimbot AI shooting you the instant you peek your head out of cover?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That would in fact be Life in the Ruins, it's all about survival. The starting 10mm pistol can easily gun down the raiders in Concord with a single shot to the chest, but eventually you'll run out of bullets.

In most survival mods I've played you tend to have this STALKER-on-master-difficulty problem where you're constantly dying and reloading because you have no health, but LitR uses Stimpacked - A Health Overhaul Mod, where the player actually starts with more health. The trick is that restoring that health is more difficult, and will cost you stimpaks or other forms of medicine, which are much scarcer. Food still heals you, but only up to a point.

e: it's tax brackets, but for your health bar. You've got four brackets. Food heals you up to the max of the bracket your health is currently in. Medicine lets you restore lost health brackets.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 29, 2024

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Your healthbar is cut into thirds, not quarters, but yea you've got the idea.

Overall I'm really enjoying LITR, though I swapped to a STR/END build from... whatever I made the first time because ammo felt too scarce. But now I'm pretty flush with Caps from not needing to buy Ammo, so I feel like I'm mostly able to buy plenty of Stimpacks / Medpacks. I have been a bit more reserved using them than in normal Fallout, and I guess if I started to ease up on that maybe I'd find myself running out quickly -- but overall it does feel better balanced than vanilla.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I could've sworn I read something about it being changed to quarters, but I just opened my save and there it is, three brackets. One of them nearly completely red with radiation :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I changed the ini files to fix the power armour HUD because it's busted in 21:9, but it's only modified when I load the game directly into the armour. If I get out it goes back to being weird. They said the game was updated for ultrawide but lol Bethesda I guess.

Can anyone suggest the best way to enjoy the game in 21:9 that's compatible with the update? I never mod games but the HUD is really broken in power armour and probably an easy first mod experience.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The only way to fix it is to mod it. All Bethesda did was let you select ultrawide resolutions in the launcher instead of having to manually change them in the INI file. The UI will still be totally hosed unless you mod it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

JBP posted:

I changed the ini files to fix the power armour HUD because it's busted in 21:9, but it's only modified when I load the game directly into the armour. If I get out it goes back to being weird. They said the game was updated for ultrawide but lol Bethesda I guess.

Can anyone suggest the best way to enjoy the game in 21:9 that's compatible with the update? I never mod games but the HUD is really broken in power armour and probably an easy first mod experience.

Ultra Wide Interface (21x9) is a quality mod that's gotten an update for Next-Gen.

The mod has an installer that lets you configure and set the mod up, but that installer requires a mod manager like Mod Organizer 2 or Vortex to run. The mod page also provides instructions for a manual install if you'd rather do that.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Ultra Wide Interface (21x9) is a quality mod that's gotten an update for Next-Gen.

The mod has an installer that lets you configure and set the mod up, but that installer requires a mod manager like Mod Organizer 2 or Vortex to run. The mod page also provides instructions for a manual install if you'd rather do that.

Great thanks! I guess additionally is there a mod that lets you take your helmet off and not have the visor effect? I'd be happy if it just used the standard visuals with the helmet off while in armour.