Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
I like how we send out a fleet of diesel trucks to pick up organic waste to haul to some compost site. Then we have another fleet of diesel trucks deliver the compost back to the people. This 'service' is voluntary and I always get slack from my one neighbor for not doing it because it's good for the planet. She obviously hasn't seen my compost pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

ManDingo posted:

She obviously hasn't seen my compost pile.

i have one of those but i thought the polite term was "night soil"

boy howdy do my neighbours complain about it though! I'm just doing it for the planet

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax

ManDingo posted:

She obviously hasn't seen my compost pile.

She obviously has smelled it though, which is why she harps on about you to have the waste taken elsewhere. :D

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
If you have a smelly compost pile you are bad at composting. Save all the kitchen stuff in a bucket or something. Then dump that on before you cover it with grass clippings.

Wee Stubby Nublet
Nov 20, 2015

by Lowtax
A fox never smells its own scent.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ManDingo posted:

If you have a smelly compost pile you are bad at composting. Save all the kitchen stuff in a bucket or something. Then dump that on before you cover it with grass clippings.

my compost is smelly BECAUSE of grass clippings, that poo poo just putrefies into gross rear end slime unless you really went super heavy on the carbon side of the carbon/nitrogen balance :( im trying to salvage it with ash and cardboard and poo poo but it's super gross

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
Is it too wet or too matted down? The smelly stuff happens when the anaerobic bacteria get to work. Maybe stab it with a pitchfork every few weeks so that oxygen can get in.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

anaerobic bacteria freak me the gently caress out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ManDingo posted:

Is it too wet or too matted down? The smelly stuff happens when the anaerobic bacteria get to work. Maybe stab it with a pitchfork every few weeks so that oxygen can get in.

Kinda both, I've been turning it as much as possible but this is poo poo the house's previous owner had hidden in some brush and was probably already years old. Might be a lost cause.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I do my part for the environment by making GBS threads and pissing outdoors no matter what the weather is like.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I throw my beer cans out with the garbage

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

:911:

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

Ryoshi posted:

Kinda both, I've been turning it as much as possible but this is poo poo the house's previous owner had hidden in some brush and was probably already years old. Might be a lost cause.

Sounds like it might be. I keep mine under a huge ash tree so it doesn't get too soaked when it rains. Then in the fall it all goes on top of the garden to get tilled in the following year. In 3 years of doing that I've used zero chemical fertilizer.

• Locked thread