Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The only thing I remember about Jaws is that you could kind of see boobies at the begininng.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I always wondered why there were two endings, with one only ever having shown up on broadcast television. Why the hell would the TV version have a different ending? It had nothing to do with censorship. I like to think the station was sent the early draft of the movie by accident.

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

Celluloid Sam posted:

What about Ghost Dad how is that

As good as Leonard Part 6

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Jaws: masterpiece. One of the greatest movies of all time.

Jaws 2: pretty bad attempt at recreating the original. Also has a weird slasher flick vibe to it at the end with the teenagers. The whole 'is Brody going crazy?' Plot is really dumb and bad. Shark dies in an awesome way.

Jaws 3: bad but in a fun way. Probably better in 3D.

Jaws 4: one of the worst movies of all time. Dumb nonsensical plot trying to be an unironic serious film.

I'm rank them 1, 3, 2, and 4. 3 is a fun popcorn flick that knows what it is, but 2 is actually worse than a lot of people think for trying to capture the same spirit of the first film but failing miserably. It's more disappointing than it is bad. 4 is just terrible though, it's not even a 'so bad it's good' kind of bad. That's 3

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

The only thing I remember about Jaws is that you could kind of see boobies at the begininng.

i remember having a vhs copy and doing the freeze frame because cinemax didnt come on till 11

i was a latchlock kid

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I thought Jaws 2 was actually an OK movie for a long time but watched it again about five years ago and yeah, it's pretty bad. Entertainingly so though.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It's an amazing film.

I don't think I've ever laughed as hard as when the shark lifts its head out of the water and roars.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Op has been karateing the picket fences

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Celluloid Sam posted:

I've only ever seen the first Jaws and not since I was a kid and I see that this has Michael Caine in it and he's fantastic so is it any good and should I watch it?

Here's the ending i.e. the only part you should watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqiWWmAEfTA

It has NOTHING on the baby fetus scene from Orca: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvL7Lx_NORo (seriously everyone watch this, it's gold)

If you want to watch some fun aquatic horror than try Piranha and then Piranha 2: The Spawning, which features piranha/flying fish chimeras

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Filthy Hans posted:

Here's the ending i.e. the only part you should watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqiWWmAEfTA

It has NOTHING on the baby fetus scene from Orca: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvL7Lx_NORo (seriously everyone watch this, it's gold)

If you want to watch some fun aquatic horror than try Piranha and then Piranha 2: The Spawning, which features piranha/flying fish chimeras

drat I forgot all about orca, remember watching that as a kid. Isn't there also a jaws ripoff movie with a giant squid or something?

Yup: Tentacles, also the Beast but I'm thinking tentacles

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 12, 2016

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

hth posted:

i was a latchlock kid
I thought the term was latchkey kid (I was a latchkey kid).

It's weird; I remember loving Jaws 4 when I was a kid because the Bahamas looked pretty and stuff. Was it really that bad or is it one of those movies that's popular to be butthurt about?

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Millie posted:

It's weird; I remember loving Jaws 4 when I was a kid because the Bahamas looked pretty and stuff. Was it really that bad or is it one of those movies that's popular to be butthurt about?

It's really awful, but you will laugh.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Millie posted:

it is latchkey... my childhood was just really really bad.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

hth posted:

it is latchkey... my childhood was just really really bad.

I'll say, your parents couldn't even neglect you by the proper name.

Jaws 4 is hilarious. They made the shark have a grudge (apparently in the novelization it was a voodoo curse. Dead serious) and somehow swim as fast as an airplane to the Bahamas.

I like the beginning where the son gets his arm bitten off but doesn't realize it for a bit.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

facebook jihad posted:

drat I forgot all about orca, remember watching that as a kid. Isn't there also a jaws ripoff movie with a giant squid or something?

Yup: Tentacles, also the Beast but I'm thinking tentacles

I think Spielberg has admitted that Jaws is basically a ripoff of Orca(same plot with a killer whale.) I recently watched all of the movies during a tv marathon and your reviews are pretty accurate. Jaws 4 sucks and is easily the worst out of the series. It is slow, boring, and the plot makes no sense. I don't even understand the it's so bad it's good thing, the movie just sucks. Watch it and review OP.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Krustic posted:

I think Spielberg has admitted that Jaws is basically a ripoff of Orca(same plot with a killer whale.) I recently watched all of the movies during a tv marathon and your reviews are pretty accurate. Jaws 4 sucks and is easily the worst out of the series. It is slow, boring, and the plot makes no sense. I don't even understand the it's so bad it's good thing, the movie just sucks. Watch it and review OP.

Hold up I thought Orca was the ripoff?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Yeah I don't know what he's on

Orca is from 1977, Jaws was 1975

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I always wondered why there were two endings, with one only ever having shown up on broadcast television. Why the hell would the TV version have a different ending? It had nothing to do with censorship. I like to think the station was sent the early draft of the movie by accident.

That's actually true,mtv stations got the wrong version with some demo footage at the end which looks really out of place

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I'm guessing he's talking about Jaws 4 since it was a revenge story.

Jaws (the novel) came out in 74. I was at my in-laws a few years ago and they had the book lying around. I started to read it and it was actually pretty good. I just haven't gotten around to getting my own copy.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Millie posted:

I'm guessing he's talking about Jaws 4 since it was a revenge story.

Jaws (the novel) came out in 74. I was at my in-laws a few years ago and they had the book lying around. I started to read it and it was actually pretty good. I just haven't gotten around to getting my own copy.

It's ok, there's a really weird sub-plot where the Mayor from the movie doesn't want to lose tourist money because the mafia owns half the town. Also, Hooper bangs Brody's wife.

On another subject if one believes Joe Hill Jaws is part of a murder mystery.

http://joehillsthrills.tumblr.com/post/126865229352/the-lady-the-shark

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 13, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
My parents first date was going to see Jaws, so without the film i wouldn't be posting here with y'all today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

client
Aug 19, 2010

i think its jaws 4 where they mention that chief brody died like a total bitch

rip chief brody: thought of sharks and died

• Locked thread