Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat

You didn't read her review. And neither did you read the book itself, according to your OP. Sarah Jones is agreeing with Vance that, objectively, many whites are in dire straights economically. Full stop. She criticizes Vance's interpretation of why poor white's are poor, not his descriptions of poverty.

Sarah Jones posted:

In many ways, I should appreciate Elegy. I grew up poor on the border of southwest Virginia and east Tennessee. My parents are the sort of god-fearing hard workers that conservatives like Vance fetishize. I attended an out-of-state Christian college thanks to scholarships, and had to raise money to even buy a plane ticket to attend grad school. My rare genetic disease didn’t get diagnosed until I was 21 because I lacked consistent access to health care. I’m one of the few members of my high school class who earned a bachelor’s degree, one of the fewer still who earned a master’s degree, and one of maybe three or four who left the area for good.

But unlike Vance, I look at my home and see a region abandoned by the government elected to serve it. My public high school didn’t have enough textbooks and half our science lab equipment didn’t work. Some of my classmates did not have enough to eat; others wore the same clothes every day. Sometimes this happened because their addict parents spent money on drugs. But the state was no help here either. Its solution to our opioid epidemic has been incarceration, not rehabilitation. Addicts with additional psychiatric conditions are particularly vulnerable. There aren’t enough beds in psychiatric hospitals to serve the region—the same reason Virginia State Sen. Creigh Deeds (D) nearly died at the hands of his mentally ill son in 2013.

And then there is welfare. In Elegy, Vance complains about hillbillies who he believes purchased cellphones with welfare funds. But data makes it clear that our current welfare system is too limited to lift depressed regions out of poverty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

And you didnt read my posting in this thread, full stop.

I don't give a poo poo about his message, and I don't give a poo poo about hers.

My point is that the dude is a liar: he is full of poo poo. I don't care what he has to say about poor whites. My beef is that he's a worldly dude who has put on a fake song and dance about how backwards he once was and how little he knew. And as someone from an even more rural background, no that's just not how things are.

I'm also absolutely not going to read his book. I'm not going to waste my time with a dude who plainly lies about these things.

Good post, otherwise.

Bushido Brown has issued a correction as of 07:33 on Nov 21, 2016

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

philosoraptor posted:

You didn't read her review. And neither did you read the book itself, according to your OP. Sarah Jones is agreeing with Vance that, objectively, many whites are in dire straights economically. Full stop. She criticizes Vance's interpretation of why poor white's are poor, not his descriptions of poverty.

so basically in this thread about how it's pretty loving gross that he took a very real problem and dressed it up in 'the ignorant hill people just need good ol religion and are afraid of big city sparkling water' to make himself somehow sound better, you feel that people itt think literally no white people live in poverty?

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

MaliciousBiz posted:

Suburb of implies a connection to. Wouldn't you agree? Saying that Middletown is a suburb of Cincinnati is much like saying Macon is a suburb of Atlanta. THere's a whole lot of nothing in between all of them.

Side note: anyone remember touchdown Jesus?

This was just a couple of minutes drive away from Middletown. lol

I lived in Dayton when Big Butter Jesus/Touchdown Jesus burned down, making it Terminator Jesus for a while when all that was left was the wire skeleton.

I can concur that Middletown is not a suburb in the sense of the people itt who grew up in nice suburbs think of a suburb. It's probably closer to Dayton than Cincinnati and, as a person who grew up in Kentucky, Dayton is pretty rednecky itself. Tweety Bird and Tazmanian Devil garb are still in fashion. Even the hipstery parts of Dayton were kind of sad like somebody had told them on a walkie-talkie full of static what hipsters look like. Dayton looks a lot like Detroit in parts except nobody gives a poo poo about Dayton so there doesn't really seem to be any momentum to revitalize it. Nobody has any real pride about Dayton like they do with Detroit.

It's a sad region of Ohio and I'm glad I left.

e: pic of Terminator Jesus

Also, I went to this mega-church, Solid Rock, once for a comparative religions class and it was creepy as gently caress and they blocked the pew and badgered me to pray with them.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Along I-75, you can see Big Butter Jesus (or whatever name they have given his replacement) and there's a big mosque on the opposite side of the interstate. I went to that mosque for the same class as the one I went to Solid Rock for and there was some bumblefuck cop radar gunning every car that drove to the Friday prayers and everybody was driving slowly enough that I assume this was some ongoing harassment. You would never loving see cops checking if the Solid Rock parishioners were speeding. The cops probably help direct traffic over there, like they do at the megachurch in my hometown.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Again, it doesn't really matter how rural wherever he grew up in Ohio is:

First, is his hillbilly bona fides were legit, the "wow how backwards they are and I once was, but let me tell you they deserve it because I got out" act AND the "of the misunderstoo poor whites: they are good simple folk" poo poo is gross.

Second, in his anecdote, he is not some teen in Ohio. He's former military, an Ohio State grad, and has finished a year at Yale Law School. Whatever bumpkin naivety he had is long gone He may still have baggage, but the anecdote as told is just total bullshit.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Oh, I hope I didn't come across as caring about your crusade. I just skimmed through this and saw somebody who lived near there and wanted to second their perspective on that part of the state.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MaliciousBiz posted:

The town he and I grew up in (Middletown, Ohio) is not so affectionately referred to as "Middletucky". That's because a good portion of it's residents are no more than a generation removed from straightup hillbillies. I can assure you that many of the people that live there are very much redneck in nature.

I grew up in Mt. Healthy, which is not too far south of Middletown. Middletown did have a reputation, but I wouldn't say it was rural in any way, it was just poor. If it was like Kentucky, it was like Covington, Kentucky.

(There are definitely rural parts of Ohio, though, especially near to the Indiana, Pennsylvania and West Virginian borders.)

A popular local joke I've heard way too many goddamn times, "Did you hear [local man] moved down to Kentucky? He raised the average IQ of both states."

MaliciousBiz posted:

Side note: anyone remember touchdown Jesus?

This was just a couple of minutes drive away from Middletown. lol

I remember driving past it when I missed my exit (my own personal Jesus telling me it's not to late to turn back), I remember watching it burn down on channel 9 news, and I think I remember hearing that the congregation was raising money for a replacement. I moved out of the area before I got a chance to see what they put up in it's place, though.

RIP Big Butter Jesus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-ksuOaI61g

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
well, don’t make no graven images.
that’s one of the ten commandments
I hope the grading curve is kindly
you get to heaven with a 90

big butter Jesus
sweet cream Jesus
oh country fresh Jesus
unsalted Jesus
oh promise Jesus
imperial Jesus
can’t believe it’s not Jesus
Holy o'Lord

philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat

Tatum Girlparts posted:

so basically in this thread about how it's pretty loving gross that he took a very real problem and dressed it up in 'the ignorant hill people just need good ol religion and are afraid of big city sparkling water' to make himself somehow sound better, you feel that people itt think literally no white people live in poverty?

Yes. The last several pages of folks saying, "Oh, he's from Middleton, how could he actually have grown up in a chaotic, parochial environment?" is what I am talking about. And the OP is calling the author a liar tout court, which presumably would include all his descriptions of poverty. Don't mistake your take on the thread for what people have actually written.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

philosoraptor posted:

Yes. The last several pages of folks saying, "Oh, he's from Middleton, how could he actually have grown up in a chaotic, parochial environment?" is what I am talking about. And the OP is calling the author a liar tout court, which presumably would include all his descriptions of poverty. Don't mistake your take on the thread for what people have actually written.

I'm pretty clear that I haven't (and won't) read the book but am rather saying his sparkling water anecdote (and others like them) are bullshit.

I know it's more fun to argue with things nobody said, but at least acknowledge you're doing so.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

This is just a dumb thread. You are proudly proclaiming that you will not read the man's work but will nitpick some stupid anecdotes when the book is what people think about when they think about Vance. It's a really weird hard-on you have and are displaying here for all to see.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

This is just a dumb thread. You are proudly proclaiming that you will not read the man's work but will nitpick some stupid anecdotes when the book is what people think about when they think about Vance. It's a really weird hard-on you have and are displaying here for all to see.

lol you sure seem to not get tired of observing and talking about it though

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Um, my posts have consisted of me giving a high-five to a guy who grew up in Middletown Ohio and then a :chloe: directed at the OP but okay man.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Um, my posts have consisted of me giving a high-five to a guy who grew up in Middletown Ohio and then a :chloe: directed at the OP but okay man.

Please respect my right to reeee uncontrollably at J.D. Vance from this dead gay forum, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

If you love jd vance so much why dont you just marry them

• Locked thread