Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

I was watching the news today and saw an interviewJ.D. Vance, the author of one of the "it" books of the summer, Hillbilly Elegy. I was immediately hit with the impression that the guy had to be full of poo poo. I haven't read the book. I don't know him. He has a much better sob story than most of us, but the basic assumption (and who he claims to be) makes me apoplectic.

A bit from an interview with Fox News, talking about the trying ideal of interviewing with Gibson Dunn's DC office for a position as a summer associate: (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/07/29/j-d-vance-what-didn-t-know-how-world-american-elite-works.html)

quote:

At first I was too nervous to drink. But I finally mustered the courage to answer yes when someone asked whether I’d like some wine and, if so, what kind. “I’ll take white,” I said, which I thought would settle the matter. “Would you like sauvignon blanc or chardonnay?”

I thought she was screwing with me. But I used my powers of deduction to determine that those were two separate kinds of white wine. So I ordered a chardonnay, not because I didn’t know what sauvignon blanc was (though I didn’t) but because it was easier to pronounce. I had just dodged my first bullet. The night, however, was young.

and more:

quote:

My bearing lasted another two minutes. After we sat down, the waitress asked whether I’d like tap or sparkling water. I rolled my eyes at that one: As impressed as I was with the restaurant, calling the water “sparkling” was just too pretentious—like “sparkling” crystal or a “sparkling” diamond. But I ordered the sparkling water anyway. Probably better for me. Fewer contaminants.

I took one sip and literally spit it out. It was the grossest thing I’d ever tasted. I remember once getting a Diet Coke at a Subway without realizing that the fountain machine didn’t have enough Diet Coke syrup. That’s exactly what this fancy place’s “sparkling” water tasted like. “Something’s wrong with that water,” I protested. The waitress apologized and told me she’d get me another Pellegrino. That was when I realized that “sparkling” water meant “carbonated” water. I was mortified, but luckily only one other person noticed what had happened, and she was a classmate.

I don't believe this. Not in a "wow, I can't believe it, how quaint!" kind of way, but in that I literally don't believe this. A former Marine, OSU grad, who grew up in a town in the Cincinnati suburbs and has made it through a year at Yale Law School supposedly didn't know what "sparkling water" is. Horseshit.

If this seems like an odd thing to get worked up about, it's because I can empathize with some of what Vance says—I grew up in a town of less than 2,000 in a county without stoplights and through a meandering path made it through a top law school. I know what it is like to feel out of place or to feel compelled to lie about your background.

But this, as someone who checks many of the same boxes, is a total fabrication built for an elite audience. Hillbillies still know what sparking water is. Hillbillies might not know the difference between sauvignon blanc and chardonnay (I still don't) but you're never going to baffled by the question. Moreover, as a former Marine and OSU grad, assuredly this guy has been exposed to more of the world than his talking points claim.

Vance's wife is a lawyer at a top firm with two Ivy League degrees. He went to the best law school in the US. He is an elite. gently caress the glorification (and otherization) of rural America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
sauvignon blanc and chardonnay are grapes. the american thing is to call a wine after what grapes its squeezed out of not where the grapes were grown

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
my friend who grew up in the midwest didnt know how sweet tea was different from sweetened tea

this reads like a temporarily distressed millionaire fantasy book tho

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Relin posted:

my friend who grew up in the midwest didnt know how sweet tea was different from sweetened tea

i just
i dont even

drat

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
yeah that dude's some dingus from a midwestern shitsburg who used to visit his chaw-chewing hilljack grandma as a kid and wants to think that makes him somehow different from all the other midwestern shitsburg peckerwoods

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Dead Jerk Vince (author of Hillary Eulogy)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The forwards talk about the rage and disaffection of "America's working-class whites," but somehow we're going to some Yale Law grad for this poo poo? Lmao.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
it's two different types of grapes, how is that at all complicated

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Bushido Brown posted:

I was watching the news today and saw an interviewJ.D. Vance, the author of one of the "it" books of the summer, Hillbilly Elegy. I was immediately hit with the impression that the guy had to be full of poo poo. I haven't read the book. I don't know him. He has a much better sob story than most of us, but the basic assumption (and who he claims to be) makes me apoplectic.

A bit from an interview with Fox News, talking about the trying ideal of interviewing with Gibson Dunn's DC office for a position as a summer associate: (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2016/07/29/j-d-vance-what-didn-t-know-how-world-american-elite-works.html)

and more:

I don't believe this. Not in a "wow, I can't believe it, how quaint!" kind of way, but in that I literally don't believe this. A former Marine, OSU grad, who grew up in a town in the Cincinnati suburbs and has made it through a year at Yale Law School supposedly didn't know what "sparkling water" is. Horseshit.

If this seems like an odd thing to get worked up about, it's because I can empathize with some of what Vance says—I grew up in a town of less than 2,000 in a county without stoplights and through a meandering path made it through a top law school. I know what it is like to feel out of place or to feel compelled to lie about your background.

But this, as someone who checks many of the same boxes, is a total fabrication built for an elite audience. Hillbillies still know what sparking water is. Hillbillies might not know the difference between sauvignon blanc and chardonnay (I still don't) but you're never going to baffled by the question. Moreover, as a former Marine and OSU grad, assuredly this guy has been exposed to more of the world than his talking points claim.

Vance's wife is a lawyer at a top firm with two Ivy League degrees. He went to the best law school in the US. He is an elite. gently caress the glorification (and otherization) of rural America.

He was born in rural Kentucky, and went to school in Columbus, Ohio. gently caress this guy. Both states have been in the union for about 300 loving years and the most backwater counties still have national grocery chains and gas stations. The way the snippet read I was thinking he was from Montana or the Dakotas or something where "hillbilly" means "the closest person who isn't kinfolk is between ten and a hundred miles away

I can't imagine a dude from a town with a population measured in five digit numbers would be so surprised by carbonated water that he would think it spoiled

Relin posted:

If you're not from the south, southwest, or south-midwest it's really easy to make this mistake

I personally learned this distinction when I brought the wrong kind of tea to my wife's family's thanksgiving dinner the first year I moved out here (it went over about as well as a wet fart, great first thanksgiving together lol)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Relin posted:

I have no clue what the difference might be and I was raised in the midwest, but that's OK because I think most tea is garbage anyway.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
lol man i wish i had spent the time to cultivate a Real American persona earlier in life, it seems so very easy to pump out folksy bullshit to peddle to idiots.

"i aint a never heard of no 'sparklin water' but boy howdy it must be pretty clean stuff. imagine my shock when its all bubbly bobbly! these city folk confuse and confound me just wish i were at home with some sweet tea and mommas apple cobbler"

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

I have no clue what the difference might be and I was raised in the midwest, but that's OK because I think most tea is garbage anyway.

Sweet Tea is black tea brewed with a tremendous amount of sugar. Proper sweet tea should have a high viscosity, somewhere between coca-cola and simple syrup, and the primary flavor present should be sugar.

Sweetened Iced Tea is normal iced tea that somebody added a packet or two of sugar or sweet and low to, and the primary flavor present should be tea.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

shiksa posted:

lol man i wish i had spent the time to cultivate a Real American persona earlier in life, it seems so very easy to pump out folksy bullshit to peddle to idiots.

"i aint a never heard of no 'sparklin water' but boy howdy it must be pretty clean stuff. imagine my shock when its all bubbly bobbly! these city folk confuse and confound me just wish i were at home with some sweet tea and mommas apple cobbler"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8YBuwmtzYE

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Zeroisanumber posted:

sweet tea is ridiculously over-sweetened iced tea, and you won't be able to drink it if you didn't grow up with it

sweetened tea is just regular iced tea with a normal amount of sugar in it

i like no sugar at all and just a little lemon

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Bushido Brown posted:

gently caress the glorification (and otherization) of rural America.

comes along bort posted:

yeah that dude's some dingus from a midwestern shitsburg who used to visit his chaw-chewing hilljack grandma as a kid and wants to think that makes him somehow different from all the other midwestern shitsburg peckerwoods

lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mirthless posted:

Sweet Tea is black tea brewed with a tremendous amount of sugar. Proper sweet tea should have a high viscosity, somewhere between coca-cola and simple syrup, and the primary flavor present should be sugar.

Sweetened Iced Tea is normal iced tea that somebody added a packet or two of sugar or sweet and low to, and the primary flavor present should be tea.

That sounds terrible. And I'm not just being contrary, that sounds like a genuinely unpleasant drink.

shiksa posted:

Todd Starnes and the Duck Dynasty beardos already beat you to that market.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
It's extremely hard to drink Sweet Tea, City of Tampa is correct in saying you had to grow up with it to enjoy it. I didn't and I can't loving stand it, but there's some people out here who drink it like water.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mirthless posted:

It's extremely hard to drink Sweet Tea, City of Tampa is correct in saying you had to grow up with it to enjoy it. I didn't and I can't loving stand it, but there's some people out here who drink it like water.

Are those people enormously fat?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zeroisanumber posted:

That sounds terrible. And I'm not just being contrary, that sounds like a genuinely unpleasant drink.

Todd Starnes and the Duck Dynasty beardos already beat you to that market.

And Larry the Cable Guy (floridian raised by hippies who learned to fake his accent in college)
And Ron White (probably)
And Jeff Foxworthy (raised by a brit and an IBM executive, lol)
And Jeff Dunham... (went to Baylor)

The Entertaining/Endearing Redneck is a character that has been played by many an educated city boy

Zeroisanumber posted:

Are those people enormously fat?

It's the South-Midwest, of course they are.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Aug 16, 2016

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Mirthless posted:

The way the snippet read I was thinking he was from Montana or the Dakotas or something where "hillbilly" means "the closest person who isn't kinfolk is between ten and a hundred miles away.

until I was 8, I lived on a farm in North Dakota where my next closet neighbor was 10 miles away and the town that I went to elementary school in was population ~500, and I still owned a Nintendo and a Super Nintendo and got to watch Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on CBS on Saturday morning cartoons and The Simpsons on Fox on Sunday nights over the antennae. my best adult friend grew up in a similarly rural part of Tennessee and had basically the same childhood experiences.

I don't even know where you'd have to live in the U.S. to legitimately have the kind of d'aww shucks naivety that he purports to possess. my guess is you'd be more likely to find that degree of lacking social grace in poor urban city kids, but the reality of that narrative wouldn't play at all with the kind of audience he's trying to fleece.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

homeless poster posted:

I don't even know where you'd have to live in the U.S. to legitimately have the kind of d'aww shucks naivety that he purports to possess. my guess is you'd be more likely to find that degree of lacking social grace in poor urban city kids, but the reality of that narrative wouldn't play at all with the kind of audience he's trying to fleece.

he grew up in a town halfway between cincinnati and dayton

might as well have been raised inside an applebee's

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
so between this and that White Trash book are poor whites in now?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I'm a simple midwestern boy and I don't know the difference between sweet tea and sweetened tea, other than it involves killing a perfectly good drink with a crapton of sugar

I had some when I was traveling through the South and I'm pretty sure I got instant diabetes after one sip

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

"Poor Whites" have been "in" for a while now

The middle class fetishizes white poverty to an extreme degree

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Feldegast42 posted:

I'm a simple midwestern boy and I don't know the difference between sweet tea and sweetened tea, other than it involves killing a perfectly good drink with a crapton of sugar

I had some when I was traveling through the South and I'm pretty sure I got instant diabetes after one sip

If you can't use it in place of adhesive it's not sweet tea

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
dang you babies better never touch ginger beer then i think you might die

cue people not knowing how it differs from ginger ale

Relin has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Aug 16, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Relin posted:

dang you babies better never touch ginger beer then i think you might die

cue people not knowing how it differs from ginger ale

I don't know how you could compare ginger beer to sweet tea other than "it's a regional speciality that people outside of the area don't get'

I recommend ginger beer to anyone who hasn't tasted it btw, it's good stuff if you like ginger ale and being punched in the throat

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mirthless posted:

And Larry the Cable Guy (floridian raised by hippies who learned to fake his accent in college)
And Ron White (probably)
And Jeff Foxworthy (raised by a brit and an IBM executive, lol)
And Jeff Dunham... (went to Baylor)

The Entertaining/Endearing Redneck is a character that has been played by many an educated city boy

It's the South-Midwest, of course they are.

at least Killer Beaz is legit I think maybe

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

sweet tea has less sugar than a coke. ginger beer has twice as much sugar as coke, or more

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

we're all just living under jim goad's shadow

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Relin posted:

sweet tea has less sugar than a coke. ginger beer has twice as much sugar as coke, or more

Generally preparation of sweet tea is 1.5-2x sweeter than coke and I've never personally had super sweet ginger beer

Most of the recipes I can find online for home-made ginger beer should pin it as only about as sweet as koolade. :shrug: I think you really underestimate how much sugar is in a Coke (or sweet tea, for that matter)

Like, you don't use 2 cups of sugar for a gallon of sweet tea, you use the whole bag

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

poor whites are in fashion every four years when the professional hucksters and grifters that fashion themselves the true scions of the GOP come out of their lairs to fill their cups at the trough of angry racists and gullible evangelicals.

kind of like how prides of lions or packs of wolves follow the migration patterns of prey animals

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mirthless posted:

Like, you don't use 2 cups of sugar for a gallon of sweet tea, you use the whole bag

no you don't

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

comes along bort posted:

we're all just living under jim goad's shadow

Another "redneck" who grew up in a posh Philly suburb and had to settle for Temple University because his parents wouldn't let him go to NYU drama school.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

homeless poster posted:

poor whites are in fashion every four years when the professional hucksters and grifters that fashion themselves the true scions of the GOP come out of their lairs to fill their cups at the trough of angry racists and gullible evangelicals.

kind of like how prides of lions or packs of wolves follow the migration patterns of prey animals

-babies first election

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Like I'm honestly unsure how you could have a working memory of 04 and say that. Or 2000 for that matter.

The focus on the poor (whites) by the right is orders of magnitude beyond what had happened in recent elections, the above two elections being times where you basically heard nothing by the right on the subject.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

tsa posted:

Like I'm honestly unsure how you could have a working memory of 04 and say that. Or 2000 for that matter.

The focus on the poor (whites) by the right is orders of magnitude beyond what had happened in recent elections, the above two elections being times where you basically heard nothing by the right on the subject.

There wasn't an economic collapse in 2004 hanging around. Or 2000 for that matter.

The focus on whites (who were poor) was just as high as recent elections. But since there wasn't an economic collapse the topics were Democrats lack of morality due to banging interns and who you want to have a beer with, followed by the Iraq War (swift boat) and gay marriage.

We've always focused on the same group of people because of their numbers and electoral impact. We just focus on what's bothering them this election cycle.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mirthless posted:

"Poor Whites" have been "in" for a while now

The middle class fetishizes white poverty to an extreme degree

All the middle class people I know call them white trash and basically hate them. This is a new trend marketed to conservatives.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

tsa posted:

I've read your second statement ten times and I can't mentally parse what you're actually trying to say.

are you saying that the babby's first memory about elections is the result of the stuff that's become prevalent since 08 with palin et al, and become amplified through today's logical conclusion, which is TRUMP?

because the southern strategy, and Reagan's outreach to bring evangelicals back into the forefront of GOP politics, goes way back before 2000, so I'm not sure why you would think that only a babby could believe that there's a professional grifter class within the GOP that comes out of the woodwork every 4 years to whip these people into a frenzy and then help themselves to their pocketbooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mirthless posted:

Actually the sugar is added after brewing, since caramelized sugar is notoriously tough to scour. It is essentially sugared just past the point of full saturation, and is poured upon ice in a lukewarm state for the purpose of dilution.

• Locked thread