Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

blowfish posted:

It's quite funny, chapters of Diamond was required reading in my ecology course.

was it from collapse? I liked collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

GG&S was required reading for an environmental history course I took. But we were supposed to critique its arguments, so it was good fodder for that.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

Diamond is not debunked, some D&D posters just don't like him.

blowfish posted:

It's quite funny, chapters of Diamond was required reading in my ecology course.
Diamond has been debunked in the sense that his overall argument has been shown to be lacking, as well as various parts of his work being very shallow (and plain wrong) as they lay outside his area of expertise. It's still an important scholarly work, though, because it's a great showcase of ecologic history and an interesting mistake, at least.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Typo posted:

As others have said, he's not trying to absolve colonialism, he's trying to explain why it's Europeans who got ships and guns to beat up the non-Europeans instead of like the Aztec or Iroquois beating up Europe

About that...

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What about that?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

The Kingfish posted:

What about that?

it's a video game reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Wallet posted:

I remember Diamond's specific arguments about as well as everyone else seems to, but I believe that beyond his various factual errors, the book was criticized for painting a multitude of colonial atrocities as the result of geographical happenstance and thus absolving their perpetrators.

The myriad material processes of geography and history that eventually led to the invention and widespread use of guns don't kill people, people kill people. :911:

• Locked thread