Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

In his 2010 book Ian Morris expands on Diamond's debunked theory of geographical determinism by adding more variables to it to explain why the west pulled ahead of the east, and adds a mathematical model quantifying social development globally: and wrote another book justifying and detailing the methods he arrived at it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Why_the_West_Rules%E2%80%94For_Now

quote:

When agriculture was first invented, areas with reliable rainfall benefited most.

Irrigation benefited drier areas such as Egypt and the Fertile Crescent.

Plants and animals more easily domesticated gave certain areas an early advantage, especially the Fertile Crescent and China. (See cradle of civilization.) Development of Africa and the Americas started on the same path, but it was delayed by thousands of years.

With the development of ships in Eurasia, rivers became trade routes. Europe and empires in Greece and Rome benefited from the Mediterranean, compared to Chinese empires (who later built the Grand Canal for similar purposes).

Raids from the Eurasian Steppe brought diseases that caused epidemics in settled populations.

The Social Development Index shows the West leading until the 6th century, China leading until the 18th century, and the West leading again in the modern era.

After the development of ocean-going ships, the significantly greater size of the Pacific Ocean made trans-Atlantic exploration and trade more feasible and profitable for Europe than trans-Pacific exploration and trade for East Asia. Though the mariner's compass was invented in China in the 11th century, Chinese exploration was less successful than the European Age of Discovery and subsequent colonization.

Eurasian diseases to which people in the Americas had no immunity were a byproduct of Eurasian development that devastated Native Americans after contact, in addition to superior European weapons.

Globalization and advances in information technology are leveling differences between civilizational areas.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/13172d36-07cf-11e0-8138-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=intl

quote:

Morris’s story is focused around a thesis of challenge and response. Societies develop and populations move as a response to climatic change that shapes the yield of crops and the nature of disease. Regular crises, driven by disease and famine as well as war, constitute a cyclical mechanism, in which human advance stalls and prosperous societies and complex political regimes simply collapse. Such crises form the “patterns of history” and they have so far occurred at repeated intervals: 2200 BC, 1750 BC, 1200 BC, 800 BC, 540 AD, 1250 AD, or 1645 AD. Every 400 years or so, climate change and drought set off migrations and state failure.

Anyways I really liked the book because it taught me stuff about ancient Assyria and the silk road and how steppe horse nomads are bad because they kept invading people and bringing diseases with them which killed more people but also facilitated trade between Han China and the Roman Empire. It's also interesting how every cycle of civilization collapse/crisis is less bad than the one before it. So if you read the book (or not) let's debate and discuss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Typo posted:

In his 2010 book Ian Morris expands on Diamond's debunked theory of geographical determinism by adding more variables to it to explain why the west pulled ahead of the east, and adds a mathematical model quantifying social development globally: and wrote another book justifying and detailing the methods he arrived at it

I'm skeptical of anyone who claims ~social development~ can be quantified by a single indicator. Also, how is Diamond debunked? You can make the argument that geographical determnism isn't the only big influence on social development, but to claim that natural resources and geography don't matter is flat-out stupid.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

blowfish posted:

I'm skeptical of anyone who claims ~social development~ can be quantified by a single indicator.

I think the scoring system used in the book is ridiculous, but it also isn't based on a single indicator. He goes into the various factors that make up the score in some depth.

Why ridiculous? Well he uses the values in 2010 as the baseline perfect 100 to measure against, then looks at various categories he feels are important in determining the advancement of society. But then roughly half of them (e.g. military forces, information exchange) are ruled to have increased exponentially over the last century and a half. So roughly half the categories he felt were important to the overall score spend the entire tracked period at ~0.

So the main thing he ends up tracking with his societal development score are size of largest city and energy capture, which have both increased heavily but not exponentially.

I did find it quite a fun read, but it's really not useful as anything more than entertainment.

EDIT: I do think it clues you in that it isn't properly a serious piece of historical literature fairly early on, when it opens with fan fiction about Prince Albert being captured by a Chinese admiral.

Undead Hippo fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 24, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqLGAtvnMLU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

blowfish posted:

I'm skeptical of anyone who claims ~social development~ can be quantified by a single indicator. Also, how is Diamond debunked? You can make the argument that geographical determnism isn't the only big influence on social development, but to claim that natural resources and geography don't matter is flat-out stupid.

Diamond isn't held in very high regard by historians. It's not that natural resources and geography don't matter, but Diamond tries to turn them into the basis of a grand unifying theory of history, and gets a lot of the specific facts wrong in the process.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Morris has been selling this idea that you can quantify cultural development for years and it's as ridiculous now as it was then. He's an excellent archaeologist who is highly esteemed in the realm of ancient Mediterranean studies but he's not really qualified to comment on other fields like Asian history, for instance. I asked him back in 2008 about how he approaches Chinese sources and he admitted he was just working with translations and secondary sources, which is a big red flag.

Like his Stanford colleagues he basically got bored of his field and was famous enough to leverage his career into a big book deal.

He's a wonderful guy, btw. Every time I've met him he's been extremely friendly and gracious.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Just read Michael Mann.

Silver2195 posted:

Diamond isn't held in very high regard by historians. It's not that natural resources and geography don't matter, but Diamond tries to turn them into the basis of a grand unifying theory of history, and gets a lot of the specific facts wrong in the process.

Monocausal factors to explain world-historical development tend to sell books but don't stand up under any sort of serious scrutiny. Geopolitics, ideology, military developments, economic change and technology - all weave together in complex ways to create a giant patterned mess. Some factors are more important than others but pointing to any one decisive thing, especially over a long enough time frame, is too reductive.

KaptainKrunk fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 25, 2016

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

blowfish posted:

The problem with Diamond's book is that is that while highly accurate in parts pertaining to new Guinea which Diamond did a lot of field work in he pretty much made a lot of poo poo up to support his thesis. An example is that he claims that technology diffuses more quickly along a east-west axis (i.e eurasia) as oppose to a north-south axis (i.e the americas) which apparently has zero evidence supporting it.

quote:

EDIT: I do think it clues you in that it isn't properly a serious piece of historical literature fairly early on, when it opens with fan fiction about Prince Albert being captured by a Chinese admiral.
I liked that part of the book and also the other fanfic where the chinese cortez conquers the aztec

Typo fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 25, 2016

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Typo posted:

The problem with Diamond's book is that is that while highly accurate in parts pertaining to new Guinea which Diamond did a lot of field work in he pretty much made a lot of poo poo up to support his thesis. An example is that he claims that technology diffuses more quickly along a east-west axis (i.e eurasia) as oppose to a north-south axis (i.e the americas) which apparently has zero evidence supporting it.

I thought that was specifically agriculture, not all technology. And it is true that crops fare better in similar climates along the same latitude.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The trick with these popculture books is to get enough right to make the rest of the bullshit you know is wrong sound plausible.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ormi posted:

I thought that was specifically agriculture, not all technology. And it is true that crops fare better in similar climates along the same latitude.

I might be remembering wrong but he specifically says that Europe got a leg up in advance because it was on the end of the east-west axis so it got all the chinese techs whereas the aztecs and the incas didn't talk to each other because it was north-south

It's being years since I've read it though so

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I think his point was that most rivers in the world run East-West more than they run North-South. As rivers make travel and trade far easier by boating, new ideas and inventions were able to be spread much more quickly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Typo posted:

I might be remembering wrong but he specifically says that Europe got a leg up in advance because it was on the end of the east-west axis so it got all the chinese techs whereas the aztecs and the incas didn't talk to each other because it was north-south

I haven't read the book, but it makes sense if you think of it like this:

1. The east-west axis ensures that crops can spread easily, creating a continuous corridor of civilization.
2. This corridor then becomes the basis for east-west trade routes.

Conversely, a north-south axis makes the spread of agriculture harder, preventing the formation of continuous corridors of civilization. It'd probably expand a bit on this and say that the specific geography separating the Aztecs and the Incas, which even to this day means there's not actually a road connection from North America to South America, probably made a difference too. Eurasia's wide arid regions full of long rivers are probably an advantage here over a long thin strip of mountainous jungle, especially combined with horses.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slaan posted:

I think his point was that most rivers in the world run East-West more than they run North-South. As rivers make travel and trade far easier by boating, new ideas and inventions were able to be spread much more quickly.

There's plenty of major north-south rivers in the world. The East-West thing seems like taking a look at how things actually developed in the world and attempting to explain the result with a general axiom ignoring any and all specific factors (like, for example, the fairly difficult terraain that just happens to occupy much of the middle of the two continents that are longer North-South than East-West).

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Vicious takedowns of arguments goons can't remember ITT.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Vicious takedowns of arguments goons can't remember ITT.

An unprecedented development.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Typo posted:

If he does claim that he's flat out wrong. Metallurgy develops in what is now Ecuador sometime around AD 750-800 and by AD 800-850 it's present in West Mexico and starting to spread inland. You see very fast movement of needed technologies. Another good example is agriculture in the Southwest, it's a bit fuzzier because of the age and materials involved but it seems to basically enter the Southern Southwest around 2100 BC just outside modern Tucson, and you find evidence of it on the Colorado Plateau about 100 years later. Also, along the east-west axis, maize is late, it doesn't become a big thing in the Eastern Woodlands of the US and Canada until around AD 800. That alone falsifies a strict literalist view of Diamond's ideas.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I haven't read the book, but it makes sense if you think of it like this:

1. The east-west axis ensures that crops can spread easily, creating a continuous corridor of civilization.
2. This corridor then becomes the basis for east-west trade routes.

Conversely, a north-south axis makes the spread of agriculture harder, preventing the formation of continuous corridors of civilization. It'd probably expand a bit on this and say that the specific geography separating the Aztecs and the Incas, which even to this day means there's not actually a road connection from North America to South America, probably made a difference too. Eurasia's wide arid regions full of long rivers are probably an advantage here over a long thin strip of mountainous jungle, especially combined with horses.

This is also not exactly congruent with the evidence from North America. You have some fairly decent east-west rivers for the development of boating and engagement between populations (the Arkansas River and it's tributaries, the Missouri River), but, other than Yellowstone obsidian showing up in extremely low levels at Ohio Hopewell sites and a tiny amount of Cerrillos turquoise from New Mexico at Spiro Mounds in East Oklahoma, there is little evidence for contact, and almost no evidence for boat-based trade to the Mississippi. These rivers cross-cut the long flat northern and southern plains and would have made good conduits to travel if the axis was important. Now, the lack of horses may have been an issue, yet there is limited evidence for horses until a bit after the period where an overland and sea-based trade linking Egypt, Sumer, the Arabian Peninsula and nearby islands and the west Indian coast which has it's earliest manifestation in the Ubaid Period of Mesopotamia and hits it's stride in the Uruk Period, with horses being a bit later, so there is some evidence suggesting that in some circumstances horses were not a needed technology to advance long-distance trade.

Also, there was a trade between Mexican and Southern Ecuadorian/Peruvian cultures (Not always the Aztec or the Inca). It was the same trade that brought metallurgy north and was based on boating and shore-hopping. You find some Panamanian and other southern gold objects in sites in Mexico with some amount of frequency after AD 800 or so. In-between there are some pretty advanced societies in what are now Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua that were involved in this, basically forming a continuous corridor of civilization from Peru to the Maya in Guatemala and on to Mexico. It's just poorly researched due to post-depositional preservation and political issues.

In addition, a continuous corridor of interacting cultures existing along a north-south axis independent of many large rivers existed in pre-contact Mexico and the US Southwest. There is a more or less unbroken series of cultures with similar material cultural traits and exchanging high value objects, including copper, spanning from the area around modern Jalisco, north to the Verde Valley in Arizona, based around going up the coast until cutting across the desert to modern Phoenix, and only following large rivers in it's terminal north extent. This area has similar ceramics, food processing technologies, shell jewelry designs and they import copper bells from West Mexico. While it's not a constant flow of people and goods, it's fairly consistent over a period of seemingly at least 2000 years, if not longer.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I remember Diamond's specific arguments about as well as everyone else seems to, but I believe that beyond his various factual errors, the book was criticized for painting a multitude of colonial atrocities as the result of geographical happenstance and thus absolving their perpetrators. The complaints about factual inaccuracies and simplification are par for the course when it comes to this sort of popular non-fiction.

I think his actual argument re: east/west north/south was that most domesticated crops originated in northern Africa or Arabia and then spread from there, but didn't make it to a high enough latitude to make it over the land-bridge to the Americas.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 26, 2016

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wallet posted:

the book was criticized for painting a multitude of colonial atrocities as the result of geographical happenstance and thus absolving their perpetrators.

I remember hearing that before, and it seemed like a really strange reaction to me. Can't something be both inevitable and horrible?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

I remember hearing that before, and it seemed like a really strange reaction to me. Can't something be both inevitable and horrible?

He makes a somewhat compelling case for the spread of virulent disease into the Americas being inevitable (though it was intentionally accelerated) because the mixture of high population density and proximity to domesticated animals made parts of Europe an ideal breeding ground. I don't think that is particularly objectionable (it may be factually inaccurate, I have no idea). I think many would argue, however, that European civilizations having the technology/power to subjugate pretty much everyone else doesn't make their exercise of that power inevitable.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Framing it as inevitable removes some level of moral culpability - it implies that the people committing the crimes didn't have the option or ability to choose not to commit those crimes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Wallet posted:

I remember Diamond's specific arguments about as well as everyone else seems to, but I believe that beyond his various factual errors, the book was criticized for painting a multitude of colonial atrocities as the result of geographical happenstance and thus absolving their perpetrators.

This makes no sense at all and was obviously not his intent.

I always find CGP Grey's thoughts on Guns, Germs and Steel interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ny338t8pts&t=901s

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Wallet posted:

I think many would argue, however, that European civilizations having the technology/power to subjugate pretty much everyone else doesn't make their exercise of that power inevitable.

Would you argue that? If so, why?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Main Paineframe posted:

Framing it as inevitable removes some level of moral culpability - it implies that the people committing the crimes didn't have the option or ability to choose not to commit those crimes.

It doesn't, what Diamond set out to do wasn't to absolve the Europeans of Colonialism around three quarters of the globe, its to try and offer an explanation as to how they even had the capabilities of doing it in the first place. To do this he was explicitly trying to avoid the exceptionalist explanations that suggested Europe had some sort of inherent superiority either Racially or Culturally and instead framed the whole issue as being the result of factors that had absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the people involved, particularly Geography, Botany etc.

It hardly needs repeating that his arguments are flawed but I think its commendable that he made it his mission to try and offer an explanation that explicitly rejected the usual kind of barely disguised cultural superiority presented by the likes of Niall Ferguson.

It really, really annoys me how much people on this site and elsewhere try to dismiss him as just another cultural elitist when he opens his book with a long preamble about how his Papua New Guinean friends were curious as to why it was Europeans coming to claim their islands from halfway around the world and not the reverse.

Also something that was pointed out in the CGP grey podcast I just linked, Its not really about inevitability, its about what were the most likely outcomes given the makeup of the planet.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 27, 2016

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

khwarezm posted:

It really, really annoys me how much people on this site and elsewhere try to dismiss him as just another cultural elitist when he opens his book with a long preamble about how his Papua New Guinean friends were curious as to why it was Europeans coming to claim their islands from halfway around the world and not the reverse.

A white man claiming he has black Asian friends? I smell a racism.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I'm sure that, if there's one thing we can all agree on, it's a grand unifying theory of history.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i remember the east-west theory being pertaining to disease; that similar latitudes with similar climates could support similar diseases among movement of peoples, thereby increasing likelihood of large-scale exposure leading to immunity from smallpox etc. after generations of kill-offs

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Wallet posted:

I remember Diamond's specific arguments about as well as everyone else seems to, but I believe that beyond his various factual errors, the book was criticized for painting a multitude of colonial atrocities as the result of geographical happenstance and thus absolving their perpetrators.

As others have said, he's not trying to absolve colonialism, he's trying to explain why it's Europeans who got ships and guns to beat up the non-Europeans instead of like the Aztec or Iroquois beating up Europe

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

G,G&S was a reaction to conventional history being a long list of great white men that conquered the world because of their superior culture and moral fortitude.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

G,G&S was a reaction to conventional history being a long list of great white men that conquered the world because of their superior culture and moral fortitude.

You'd be hard-pressed to find many academic historians who buy into that narrative. If you mean conventional popular history, you may not be wrong, but that doesn't excuse trying to replace it with other simplistic narratives.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Silver2195 posted:

You'd be hard-pressed to find many academic historians who buy into that narrative. If you mean conventional popular history, you may not be wrong, but that doesn't excuse trying to replace it with other simplistic narratives.

otoh it's prob a step in the right direction

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Was Guns Germs and Steel the book supposed to be an in-depth academic theory? It definitely seemed like it was packaged so it didn't require a history degree to understand.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Fojar38 posted:

Was Guns Germs and Steel the book supposed to be an in-depth academic theory? It definitely seemed like it was packaged so it didn't require a history degree to understand.

No, yes.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fojar38 posted:

It's not written to require a history degree to understand, but the general tone of the book implies some pretensions to authority - even an implication that Diamond is reinventing history from first principles along "scientific" lines and making conventional academic history obsolete.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I was always thaught the Khazars are why the West pulled ahead.

And why modern civilization is being held back.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

Would you argue that? If so, why?

No, not really, which is why I stated it that way. I don't think that colonialism was necessarily inevitable, but I also don't think Diamond was/is saying that it was.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

blowfish posted:

Diamond is not debunked, some D&D posters just don't like him.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Diamond is not debunked, some D&D posters just don't like him.

It's quite funny, chapters of Diamond was required reading in my ecology course.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Diamond may have been totally wrong about the specifics, (although he probably wasn't, g,g&s were likely contributing factors.) But he was almost certainly right about the idea that the physical location of the West bad something to do with its dominance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Any good model is going to get things wrong because data is noisy, in fact a model that tries and explain everything is almost certainly a bad one because of overfitting.

• Locked thread