Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

Well just off the top of my head, maybe if you went to better funded schools you would have learned not to draw sweeping conclusions about millions of people based on a sample size of 1

Lol my school was well funded, public schools need reformed funding though considering how bad some places are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
My old high school got hecka funding from the local Air Force base, a couple of air and defense companies and a number of private donors (helps to be named after a test pilot in a major Military-Industrial complex hub), so being in a town full of loving rear end in a top hat conservatives was pretty mitigated. It was a fairly mixed public school and had to accommodate over 3,000 students though, so while we had an amazing selection of AP classes as well as great teachers to fill in those roles we still had
a) loving bored check-collectors who had no business teaching students
b)Fights erupting on a daily-weekly basis as things settled. We had an incident where some security guards roughed up a couple students (take a guess as to their skin color) and every class phone would get random calls from randos from across the country calling in to protest (they would hit some random numbers to get an extension because the schools secretary or whatever was getting loving swamped)
c) The first AP class students are allowed to take was World History (European or Western Civ for you East Coasters) and without variation every single class would consist of two-thirds borderline morons who hosed their GPA for that year for no benefit whatsoever.
But yeah I think a general theme is that the school had access to a lot of funding but a lot of that was being devoted to students who were judged to be on a track to success. We had a computer and engineering program (variably filled with 1/4-1/3 slackers and staffed by teachers working with each other to game the system to make sure even the fuckups would be able to pass*) whilst also having a godawful stock of math teachers who just couldn't manage classes or adequately teach the subject.
As an aside we had a mediocre football team at the time which held a few players who were actually students at a charter somewhere else - a scheme someone mentioned earlier here.
*The last year I was there the program had an inter-disciplinary, inter-year group project that was intended to be a final assignment for a number of classes across various subjects for teachers and students in the program (English, Engineering, Math, Civics, etc)and the whole thing petered out in some pitiful loving display after inviting several business heads from the area to watch high school students play with flour packets, catapults, and barely-functioning glider airplanes. A good chunk of engineering students couldn't accomplish their end of the project so scores were so low that the group assignment was shelved entirely.

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 5, 2016

• Locked thread