Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Everyone loves to claim that public schools are a failed system and private&charter schools are better. They aren't.

Charter schools are a loving joke that a bunch of people were conned into thinking work like a cure to all the problems of public schools because of "Waiting for Superman" which the media slobbered all over. In reality, maybe 1/5 charter schools are equal to public schools and the rest are loving trash.

Private schools; well if you pay $40k a year for the feeder schools into places like Yale and Stanford then yes, that is money well spent but for the vast majority of them you're getting a equal or maybe slightly better experience at best. More to the point public schools require teachers to constantly get certified and re-certified in teaching so generally they are better trained. Some private schools are better, but the cost and level or parental involvement needed are way outside the scope of the vast majority of families. Primary Education shouldn't have a monetary barrier to entry or we may as well take it back to when kids stopped school at 10 and went to work in the local factories.

Maybe if the GOP wasn't always looking to gut school budgets and try to kill teacher unions most states' public school systems then this conversation wouldn't even happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!

pentyne posted:

Charter schools are a loving joke that a bunch of people were conned into thinking work like a cure to all the problems of public schools because of "Waiting for Superman" which the media slobbered all over. In reality, maybe 1/5 charter schools are equal to public schools and the rest are loving trash.

[citation needed]

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I went to public school and now im a retard who spends money to post online about making GBS threads my pants so that is somethign to consider

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Pretty much.

I know one girl who pays some outrageous sum of money for tuition for her *high school* and while it is a good school she's also so ridiculously sheltered that I honestly feel like she's going to struggle quite a bit in the real world.

e: here is their tuition schedule if you care, this is per academic year:

code:
Kindergarten to Grade 4	$27,540
Grade 5 to Grade 8	$31,610
Grade 9 to Grade 12	$32,020

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
As someone currently waiting in line to pick my kid up from an expensive private school, I'm amused.

Pulled him out of our local school last year. This year they got a D-grade from the state for how good they are. Public school is no place for an above-average-intelligence kid. They slow down for the slow ones.

Honor Stud For Rent
Sep 27, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nooner posted:

I went to public school and now im a retard who spends money to post online about making GBS threads my pants so that is somethign to consider

This is about as prolific as saying "I write professionally on the front page of the internet, have you heard of GBS?"

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
I'm guessing OP either belongs to a teachers' union or has a family member who does.

Waiting for him to drop in that standardized testing is inherently unfair, student performance can never be measured, the only things we should base teachers' salaries on are (1) masters' degrees (from any school without differentiation, including - nay, especially - online ones) and (2) seniority, and that the only sure-fire way to improve public education is to make class sizes smaller so that we can hire more union teachers (preferably ones with degrees in education instead of specific subject matter, because the teacher-training-industrial complex must be fed)!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

GORDON posted:

As someone currently waiting in line to pick my kid up from an expensive private school, I'm amused.

Pulled him out of our local school last year. This year they got a D-grade from the state for how good they are. Public school is no place for an above-average-intelligence kid. They slow down for the slow ones.

so y r u putting ur slow retard kid in with the smart kids?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/03/charter-schools-suspend-more-black-students-disabilities-test-scores

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

GORDON posted:

Not all public schools are equal obviously. My public high school had an excellent honors/AP program. Many of the people in my class went to good schools. Some went to Stanford and Yale.

In my experience most people who say things like 'my kid is an above-average intelligence kid who is being slowed down by all the others' usually don't have those kids :shrug:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Roylicious posted:

Not all public schools are equal obviously. My public high school had an excellent honors/AP program and in my experience most people who say things like 'my kid is an above-average intelligence kid who is being slowed down by all the others' usually don't have those kids :shrug:

his kid is a retard lol

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Nooner posted:

his kid is a retard lol

Yeah I really didn't want to say that outright but seriously every time a parent says that it turns out their kid is the rear end in a top hat in the class. In my experience obviously which is fairly limited.

Still if you're paying $30k a year to go to K-12 then wow lmao what a rube.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://bostonreview.net/us/snyder-public-private-charter-schools-demographics-incentives-markets

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Turns out that schools that get to cherry-pick their students do better than schools that have to take everybody. Who knew?

Nooner posted:

I went to private school and now I do much the same thing, so :shrug:

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I'll tell you what's wrong with schools. It's too easy to become a teacher and it pays for poo poo.

Therefore, with the exception of people who genuinely want to teach kids which let's be honest is not that many, people who are intelligent will seek other higher paying jobs. Why would someone who could potentially make $150k practicing law go teach and struggle to buy their own classroom teaching tools? At the same time, it attracts people who kind of meander through college not really knowing what to do until they land on teaching because hey why not.

I had maybe 3-4 teachers I would say were actually GOOD. 3-4 that were just downright awful. The rest were just... whatever. So-so. I was in honors/AP classes too; the regular ("dumb") classes had an even worse offering. Frankly it takes just one awful teacher inflicted on a sensitive kid at a young age to screw that kid for the rest of their academic career.

Look again, that isn't to say there aren't great teachers who do genuinely care. Of course there are. But let's not pretend like the job is attractive to anyone who would actually be well qualified to do it. There's tons of pedophile barely made it through college shitbag teachers out there.

If people can afford to pay $30k a year per kid to go to private school then we as a society can afford to pay teachers better. It's absurd that we can fund $130m planes that catch on fire on the runway because it was windy but my teachers couldn't afford to buy classroom materials and didn't even get COLA raises they were contractually entitled to because budget.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 27, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

My dad shelled out like 16 grand a year to have both my sister and I attend a private K-8 Catholic school and all that really did was make us hate religious bullshit and made me personally feel lonely because due to the small class size of like 70, no one in my grade had the same interests as me, ever.

My younger sister is currently attending the same school. Maybe third time's the charm.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

symbolic posted:

My dad shelled out like 16 grand a year to have both my sister and I attend a private K-8 Catholic school and all that really did was make us hate religious bullshit and made me personally feel lonely because due to the small class size of like 70, no one in my grade had the same interests as me, ever.

My younger sister is currently attending the same school. Maybe third time's the charm.

70 people and not a single one liked video games or trains??

Honor Stud For Rent
Sep 27, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you don't send your kid to alternative arts school (or a tech/stem school if that's their strength) then I think you are a bad parental figure tbch.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Nooner posted:

70 people and not a single one liked video games or trains??
Those are your interests, Nooner.

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008
my understanding is that public schools no longer separate the smart students from the dumb ones, which means the smart students sit around bored doing nothing and remain unchallenged most of their younger years which is a gigantic waste

Honor Stud For Rent
Sep 27, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

I hate yankees posted:

my understanding is that public schools no longer separate the smart students from the dumb ones, which means the smart students sit around bored doing nothing and remain unchallenged most of their younger years which is a gigantic waste

This is why the subreddits like "First World Anarchists" exist.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

I hate yankees posted:

Unless they made radical changes in the last 8 years and/or got rid of honors/AP stuff then it's pretty much the exact opposite actually. All the smart kids get their own classes and the "dumb" kids (why does everyone need to be on a college track?) get relegated to poo poo tier classes where teachers let you out of class as long as you bring them a burrito.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
The British public school system is vital to creating each new generation of homosexual men

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I hate yankees posted:

I graduated in 2015 and they still did that at my high school. The dumb kids would take GP, normal kids CP, the smarter kids Honors, and the smartest kids AP. That's just how it was.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Although I just saw 'younger years' so yeah I suppose that is largely true in grade school beyond some token efforts like GATE and whatever.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Roylicious posted:

the "dumb" kids (why does everyone need to be on a college track?) get relegated to poo poo tier classes where teachers let you out of class as long as you bring them a burrito.
Essentially this. One of my friends took a throwaway public speaking class senior year that was GP-level and not only could I just sign out of study hall and show up at said class to chill with her, we could use our phones the entire time or grab food at the caf in the other building and the teacher wouldn't give a poo poo. It owned.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
My private school experience is pretty atypical, compared to what other people talk about in terms of private school.

So, my story: I went to nice public schools up until third grade, and then we moved. We moved to a really redneck place, and my mom decided the schools weren't working for me. I went to a series of increasingly flaky alternative private schools, until I finally found one that was alternative but not too alternative. All of these schools were also less expensive than people think of private schools as being. Around 300 dollars a month, maybe? So not for the ultra-rich.

I do think that private schools can allow educators to be more broad philosophically, although once the entire charter school mania got started, a lot of it got mixed up and people had too many expectations.

Its also not impossible to have a public school with a different philosophy. There are experimental public schools, as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I always considered private school a waste of money, but talking to friends about their fancy private schools and other friends about their public schools, it turns out I was just lucky and mine was really good. If I were gonna have kids I'd try to get them into some sort of magnet school which is public but screens for smart people. (My kids are gonna be freaking geniuses lmao, you don't even know.)

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
As with anything else, some are good some are bad on both sides.

That's a huge reason why people pay a lot of attention to the school district when buying a family home.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I went to one of the top rated public schools in my state and it wasn't great for people who excelled. I would've killed to go to any of the charter schools in the city.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
One interesting thing I've seen over the years is this: Lots of people will complain about how terrible public schools are, but if you ask them about the one their kids go to, they generally think that is a good one. If they have complaints, it's generally stuff that is budget-related.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Roylicious posted:

As with anything else, some are good some are bad on both sides.

That's a huge reason why people pay a lot of attention to the school district when buying a family home.

True, for those that have the option private can be better then the public schools in the area. But then again, of the tens of millions of families who have their children get a free education, how many of them could afford to pay 5 figures a year in tuition, much less $300 a month?

Given the amount of tax money spent it should be better, but when the entire system is at the whims and mercy of the state and local elected officials always looking for an easy target its never going to be fair. Teachers unions seem to be the #1 target of the GOP as "lazy, shiftless, entitled" and that they try to eliminate as best they can. Public schools are always targets for their curriculum, used as battlegrounds to try and force religious ideology on to the students, and made to do more with less every year.

It's not surprising that many of public schools don't perform well, but sort of like firefighters and police its not an area where the private sector can simply take over without creating a massive barrier that will discriminate against the people who need it the most.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Public (government) schools are fine in the UK as long as they're in a well off area. The system works! :capitalism:

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i went to publix school :downs:

chicken tendies subs all day every day

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I went to the Remember the Titans highschool and took an elective on electronics were I learned I am too dumb for electronics thank you public school

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Roylicious posted:

In my experience most people who say things like 'my kid is an above-average intelligence kid who is being slowed down by all the others' usually don't have those kids :shrug:

Consider your horizons broadened. He's a really sweet kid, almost too sensitive, sometimes. He started kindergarten at 4, and he's already doing math a grade ahead of the rest of his class at the private school.

Someone mentioned that public schools don't separate smart from... not smart... any more. This was the case in our public school.... they would spend two weeks reiterating some basic math concept that my kid picked up in the first 3 minutes, and then he would sit there bored to tears. One day last year we got a call, my kid was being given detention... in the 5th grade... because he finished a test too quickly. They were told to take at least 40 minutes to take the test, and if they finish early to check and recheck the answers. He didn't, he did the test and checked his answers in only 30 minutes..... so he was being punished. I asked how he did on the test, I was told that wasn't the issue. I asked again. They wouldn't tell me.

Tldr, I told them if they kept him for detention, and he wasn't on the bus home, there was going to be a problem. They sent him home.

He got 100% on that test, plus the extra credit question.

That wasn't the first issue we had with the teachers messing with the smart kids, but it was the last. They were very unhappy to learn they were losing the highest scorer on their state tests. I heard they lost about 5% of their students to private schools this year.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

GORDON posted:

Consider your horizons broadened. He's a really sweet kid, almost too sensitive, sometimes. He started kindergarten at 4, and he's already doing math a grade ahead of the rest of his class at the private school.

Someone mentioned that public schools don't separate smart from... not smart... any more. This was the case in our public school.... they would spend two weeks reiterating some basic math concept that my kid picked up in the first 3 minutes, and then he would sit there bored to tears. One day last year we got a call, my kid was being given detention... in the 5th grade... because he finished a test too quickly. They were told to take at least 40 minutes to take the test, and if they finish early to check and recheck the answers. He didn't, he did the test and checked his answers in only 30 minutes..... so he was being punished. I asked how he did on the test, I was told that wasn't the issue. I asked again. They wouldn't tell me.

Tldr, I told them if they kept him for detention, and he wasn't on the bus home, there was going to be a problem. They sent him home.

He got 100% on that test, plus the extra credit question.

That wasn't the first issue we had with the teachers messing with the smart kids, but it was the last. They were very unhappy to learn they were losing the highest scorer on their state tests. I heard they lost about 5% of their students to private schools this year.

Alright well I take it back because that genuinely sounds like utter poo poo.

I was one of those people that always finished the test first simply because... look if you know it what is there to take a long time for? You either know it or you don't. Usually had great test scores. If I got in trouble for that I'd probably pitch a fit.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Girls kept trying to grope me in public school but charter schools were so small and sad and lonely and made me suck at STEM stuff, and also didn't have vending machines for my fatass but the public schools ended up taking those away my last year. So I dont know what i'm talking about at all, really

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Roylicious posted:

Alright well I take it back because that genuinely sounds like utter poo poo.

I was one of those people that always finished the test first simply because... look if you know it what is there to take a long time for? You either know it or you don't. Usually had great test scores. If I got in trouble for that I'd probably pitch a fit.

One day in the 4th grade he got sent out in the hall because he corrected the science teacher on some geology point, he said there were *5* different types of thing, and the teacher was teaching that there were *4*. I don't remember the specific subject.

So he got sent out into the hall, and the next day he took in the National Geographic that he got his fact from... he cited his source... and the teacher said, "Oh well I don't teach that one." When I asked about it, I was told he was punished for disrupting class, not correcting the teacher. I asked his friend in the same class, and he said all my kid did was raise his hand, state his point, get told he was wrong, and then defend his position by verbally citing his reference. BAM sent out in the hall for being a disruption.

gently caress those people. The money and the commute is well worth it if he can be in a positive educational environment during his formative years. The public school was teaching him to hate learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Lol jesus. I remember I tried being a smartass during grade school science and said 'ovals actually' when the teacher said circular orbits and he was just 'well... yeah actually you're right' and then moved on.

Kind of ties back to what I was saying earlier about there being a lot of shitbag teachers out there. That teacher probably cares more about their little fiefdom than anything else.

• Locked thread