Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The Bananana posted:

Dyin's easy.
Livin' ain't.

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Pithy

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Dennis System posted:

Obviously pure, uncut Utilitarianism doesn't work. I mean, if you're going by pure Utilitarianism then it would be OK to kill a healthy person so that you could give his organs to five people who needed organ transplants. You need to mix it with some virtue ethics, some Kantian deontology, etc. Still, I'd rather give $1000 to save several people's lives than to pay for a fraction of putting on a Special Olympics.

Explain how it is not the height of self-serving hypocrisy to espouse this kind of theory, then spend a large amount of money on your old mother's medical care, as opposed to the medical care of a lot of people in an impoverished country.

Sounds to me like an excuse to be smug.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

criscodisco posted:

I always wonder if when they take the kids to Disneyland if they buy them the mouse ear hats and poo poo, because that seems like a silly waste of money.

yeah, if they were smart they'd just get a hotel near a gator lagoon

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hogge Wild posted:

yeah, if they were smart they'd just get a hotel near a gator lagoon

Lol

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What if they request a hand beezy? :shrug:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Tallgeese posted:

Explain how it is not the height of self-serving hypocrisy to espouse this kind of theory, then spend a large amount of money on your old mother's medical care, as opposed to the medical care of a lot of people in an impoverished country.

Sounds to me like an excuse to be smug.

Hey man, I wasn't aware that Peter Singer did this before you mentioned it. I don't follow him that closely. If he did this then he is a hypocrite. Personally, I would never take utilitarianism to it's logical conclusion. If I had a family member who needed expensive medical care, then I would spend all my money on that medical care and all those charities that I endorsed previously could get on my dick.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

criscodisco posted:

I always wonder if when they take the kids to Disneyland if they buy them the mouse ear hats and poo poo, because that seems like a silly waste of money.

sort of, but they can usually get several reuses out of the same pair

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The Dennis System posted:

Hey man, I wasn't aware that Peter Singer did this before you mentioned it. I don't follow him that closely. If he did this then he is a hypocrite. Personally, I would never take utilitarianism to it's logical conclusion. If I had a family member who needed expensive medical care, then I would spend all my money on that medical care and all those charities that I endorsed previously could get on my dick.

That's fine, I'm just making the point that what I described tends to ultimately be what winds up happening. It's easy to say you follow a system like that until it's you who it inconveniences, then suddenly there's exceptions to the rules.

Hence it's hard to take that sort of thing seriously. Why describe oneself as a utilitarian at all?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 8, 2016

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
Make A Piss Fagdation

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
The kids are always so selfish, maybe they should wish for their burdensome medical bills to be paid, or a few mortgage payments for their family home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
"I wish I wouldnt die"

"Haha, sorry kid, heres a cheap rear end celebrity to make up for the eternal suffering of your parents"

• Locked thread