Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I mean think about it. The experience they give can be genuinely awesome that creates memories that last a lifetime. These kids are only gonna be able to treasure and remember that memory for like a year max. A large portion of that year in a drug induced haze most likely. Its a huge waste.

Why not give it to some kid whose gonna look back on it fondly and tell his grandkids how he hung out and played Madden with Gronk? That way its actually put to some use and have an actual long term impact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junji Eat More
Oct 22, 2005

You don't know it, but you are full of stahs
I wish you had terminal cancer

Guy Farting
Jul 28, 2003

has vegetable salty
80% of these kids survive

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Guy Farting posted:

80% of these kids survive

If you told me 20% of my donation (plus another 10-20% in admin) was going straight down the drain I would think twice about donating.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Everyone will die eventually, why do anything for anyone, everything will be forgotten eventually anyway.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kuato posted:

Everyone will die eventually, why do anything for anyone, everything will be forgotten eventually anyway.

that's why i chose shitposting as my way to contribute to society

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Junji Eat More posted:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i too hate dying kids

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of my best memories were in a drug induced haze, don't knock it till you try it OP. I wonder if they would grant a wish of tripping balls off LSD.Leary's The Psychedelic Experience is based off the Tibetan book of the dead and is meant to make one at peace with their own mortality. Probably a good thing for dying children.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

A lot of my best memories were in a drug induced haze, don't knock it till you try it OP. I wonder if they would grant a wish of tripping balls off LSD.Leary's The Psychedelic Experience is based off the Tibetan book of the dead and is meant to make one at peace with their own mortality. Probably a good thing for dying children.

Giving Kid's Mind-Shredding Hallucinations sounds like a cool charity. But only ones who would live to benefit.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
A kid gets to meet John Cena so that when he dies and goes to heaven he's ready to fight the Macho Man.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why don't the kids wish to live? loving idiorts

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i started smoking when i was 7 bc of these fuckheads

20 years later i still dont have cancer and ive never been to disney world

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
op i wish you would bite into doobie's long dogs

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
maybe its partially for the family who are super sad to see their kid die but get to do an awesome thing w/ them in their final days/months?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Pretty edgy OP. But you forget, Batkid saved San Francisco

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Nut to Butt posted:

i started smoking when i was 7 bc of these fuckheads

20 years later i still dont have cancer and ive never been to disney world

retard

if you put all your cig money in the bank you could have saved enough to go to disneyworld for like a month

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
It's called a consolation prize.

"Sorry, kid. You're gonna die at the age of nine. But look at the bright side, you got to roast a whole herd of cattle with a flamethrower JUST LIKE YOU ALWAYS WANTED! You wouldn't be able to do that without having cancer!"

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

the op is jealous of tiny bald dying people lmao

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the op is jealous of tiny bald dying people lmao

You telling me you wouldn't want to play madden with Gronk?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I sacrificed everything to get to where I am today. What have they given?

Chinese Stakeout
Apr 21, 2010
Why don't they wish for a cure for cancer? Frankly, I'm surprised no one has thought of this.

Edit: or at least wish for more wishes.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Oscar Wild posted:

Pretty edgy OP. But you forget, Batkid saved San Francisco

Barely. He got tired after lunch and they practically had to carry him around while he was fighting the penguin.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

flerp posted:

i too hate dying kids

They're just the worst.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

FlimFlam Imam posted:

They're just the worst.

You know how kids that age are super needy and whiny? Imagine then when they have hosed up blood with too many cells.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

another quality thread from TheLightPurges

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
*beats the gently caress out of OP while wearing a Santa suit but with loaded gloves*

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Junji Eat More posted:

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Wow rude id never wish violence or illness on anyone

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
This is a good thread but typical nu-gbs is hating on it because it's not a megathread or about hotdogs :rolleyes:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Kuato posted:

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
That's hosed up OP. That said, I agree with a lot of Peter Singer's ideas about Effective Altruism. You should probably give your money to the charities that do the most good for the most people. So giving money to charities that save lives might be better than giving to charities like Make a Wish or The Special Olympics, although that might sound hosed up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

OP do you have an opinion on steak, circumcision, or the best James Bond actor?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Dennis System posted:

That's hosed up OP. That said, I agree with a lot of Peter Singer's ideas about Effective Altruism. You should probably give your money to the charities that do the most good for the most people. So giving money to charities that save lives might be better than giving to charities like Make a Wish or The Special Olympics, although that might sound hosed up.

Utilitarianism is for spergy retards, hope dis helps

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ever notice how the make a wish foundation only grants wishes for dying kids? I think they're discriminating against dying adults with wishes for better PR

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

That and hypocrites who want to sound smart.

(When it was his own mom dying, Singer inexplicably didn't follow his own philosophy. Who'da thunk?)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

flerp posted:

i too hate dying kids

This guy gets it

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Dyin's easy.
Livin' ain't.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Tallgeese posted:

That and hypocrites who want to sound smart.

(When it was his own mom dying, Singer inexplicably didn't follow his own philosophy. Who'da thunk?)

Obviously pure, uncut Utilitarianism doesn't work. I mean, if you're going by pure Utilitarianism then it would be OK to kill a healthy person so that you could give his organs to five people who needed organ transplants. You need to mix it with some virtue ethics, some Kantian deontology, etc. Still, I'd rather give $1000 to save several people's lives than to pay for a fraction of putting on a Special Olympics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I always wonder if when they take the kids to Disneyland if they buy them the mouse ear hats and poo poo, because that seems like a silly waste of money.

• Locked thread