Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mithaldu posted:

New patch!

Great patch

Anyone worked out how to make effective heat batteries, for combat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011
New patch again! Now with even fewer violations of conservation of energy!

quote:

Patch 1.1.0 is out now!

Highlights

Capacitors for railguns and coilguns.

Railguns and coilguns conserve energy now.

Lasers can be separated from their mounts.

Laser optics can be sniped in combat.

Turrets with 90+ degree attack arcs.

Tapered radiators

More tracers

Combat AI is much better. In particular, they smartly use 'ignore range' now.

Can shift burn nodes in orbital view.

Mod import/export.

And tons more!

Patch Notes
- Railguns/Coilguns
--- Capacitor banks can now be used with railguns and coilguns.
--- Equations have been updated to correct energy conservation issues.
--- Acceleration graph now shows exactly how the device propels the armature over time.
--- Barrel armor now correctly braces railguns and coilguns, reducing beam deflection stress and inaccuracy.
--- In-game railguns and coilguns have been heavily reworked, most stock ships are affected. Numerous new designs added.
--- Note: Designs using stock coilguns and railguns may see those stock weapons disappear or they may have poorer performance than before.
- Lasers
--- Laser turrets/mounts can be separated from the laser, allowing hundreds of disposable turrets to use a single laser.
--- Lasers can now suffer optical damage, lenses/mirrors are easily destroyed by enemy laserfire, gunfire, and nuclear flashes.
--- Armored lens caps are addable (and essential to protect the fragile optics when not firing).
--- Graphics updates.
- Turrets
--- Can make extrudable turrets, which extend out with 90+ degree attack arcs. Allows nose-facing weapon support, but mass more and are easier to hit.
--- Graphics updates.
- Radiators
--- Can make tapered radiators, allowing triangular or winglike shapes.
- Tracers
--- Added several more pyrotechnic tracers.
--- Tracers now burn hotter and with greater optical depth, yielding more colors, including blue and white.
- AI
--- Tactical AI "guts" are exposed for viewing in sandbox and for modding in AI.txt.
--- Aggressive AIs now use the ignore range mode in certain scenarios.
--- Weapons now use dodge prediction against accelerating targets. Since this can be spoofed by start-stopping, this can be optionally disabled.
--- Several minor AI combat tweaks.
--- Huge drone formations are staggered so they no longer commit fratricide.
- UI
--- In orbital view, can move burn nodes forward or backwards in time.
--- Can compare module and ship designs against their prior stats while editing.
--- Can select unorbited bodies as a Frame of Reference.
--- Selection lists no longer reset when exiting from a design.
--- User designs appear first in ship and module design.
--- Modded designs are imported as core modules/ships and are uneditable unless duplicating.
--- Ship design. Can optionally view stacked power graph. Can toggle condensed mass pie chart. Dry acceleration visible.
--- In ship and module design, most of the ui can now be flexibly resized, including error messages. Alleviates small screen issues.
--- A number of other minor UI tweaks.
- Design
--- Launcher modules can use fibers for armor.
--- Launcher reload times are now bounded by clearance time, preventing a launcher from crashing multiple items into each other by launching too fast.
--- Increased max armor layers to 10.
--- Nuclear payload 'delay trigger' now editable in module design.
--- Cargo modules are editable.
--- Added article on Missile Guidance, for help designing remote controls.
--- Several sample remote controls added.
--- Ammo bays can have more ammo and stacks. Smaller propellant tanks.
- Modding
--- Mod Loading order now occurs correctly and reads the materials folder hierarchy correctly.
--- Modules now save any modded materials/reactions/etc they use.
--- Allowed modding of Star Chart, Emission Spectra, and Refraction Indicies.
--- Export: New button exports a single design and all dependencies to its own file to .../Mods/Data/Exports.
--- Import: .../Mods/Data/Imports folder will read in all files within it as ship or module designs or as most any other kind of data.
--- Note: Anything in this folder is read in last.
--- Note: Overriding core data with mods data (mod data with the same name as core data) is not supported!
- Other
--- Numerous material/element/ref index corrections.
--- Bugs fixed: level 4 gold record impossible without exploits, ship cross section underestimated by 2x, delta-v miscalculated with vernier thrusters, phantom refueling with drop tanks, cadmium material issues, and many more.
--- Numerous crash fixes.
--- Various optimizations.

It still doesn't work on my laptop. Luckily I found a workaround... borrowing another family member's laptop.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
This game frustrated me for a while, but after figuring out there was an actual tutorial in the campaign missions now I am all: "Whoa there hoss, Our power problems, they've been so, uh... Ubiquitous and... Mendacious and polyglottal. Like a couple of donkey balls."

Awesome game so far, would love a multiplayer mode.

Edit: I was just screwing around in the sandbox mode and I made an encounter with 2 fleets orbiting Jupiter. They were evenly matched and both had a few beam ships, a carrier, missile ships and some other corvettes. Maybe about 10 ships each. I dumbly forgot to add a couple of tankers. What makes this interesting is that the encounter started with my fleet around Ganymede and the opposing fleet a little in from Callisto. I want to make a quick disclaimer: This was my first proper big engagement and I am learning the ropes. All I know about planetary physics I learned from KSP and movies. And all I learned about space combat was from the Expanse books and The Forever War.

The Red being the enemy fleet and the Green being my dumb rear end. As you can see, they are also behind me. And they launched drones. This means that if I try and move trans Callisto, I will burn most, if not all of my fuel trying to escape and be a sitting duck. Whereas, my opponent's fleet can burn a slight amount of fuel and let gravity do the work for him and swoop in on my rear end. He launched a whole bunch of missiles and drones to weaken me before he makes the kill. They don't have much fuel and they don't need it. They are fighting downhill. I am fighting uphill. As a homophobe once wrote: "The enemy's gate is down" (I know that's not what he meant but it makes far more sense in this context) This means that I either need to accelerate to try and get around behind them. (A fight they would still win) Or lure them in closer to the orbit and use my extra speed to whip around behind them if/when they pursue and throw all the metal I have after them.

So, I peeled off 2 of my more long range boats to try and intercept the missiles before they engaged my fleet and figured if it came down to a CQB those 2 guns would be better spent having cleared the sky. I held my missiles in reserve because firing them while in a weaker position would have been a waste. I wanted to swoop in from behind.

Even though my fleet was orbiting in the opposite direction of the orbit of Jupiter and its moons. I moved very slightly into cis-Ganymede space, passing the moon. It was a small burn and I was hoping I could use the moon as cover. It would also force the drones and missiles to alter their trajectory and if they have to pass the moon, it could be enough to burn their fuel.

Long story short, my 2 fast attack ships failed to intercept the drones and their fleet burned hard and pummeled my one before I even got a shot off. The inevitable showdown was a slaughter and they decimated my fleet before finishing off the remaining fast attack boats after I ran out of fuel. I learned a ton playing that little challenge and hopefully it will give people a small idea how this game works and how frakking fun it is even if it's a sim. I suck hard at this game, and as much as I am learning the ropes, I didn't feel cheated. As much as I enjoy KSP. This has that thrill of knife edge combat. Worth checking out.

It's got a steep learning curve, but the climb is not too high.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 21, 2017

Maldavos
May 26, 2015
Grimey Drawer

:eyepop: Sounds fantastic. I'll need to check this KSP-murder-sim out.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Maldavos posted:

:eyepop: Sounds fantastic. I'll need to check this KSP-murder-sim out.

You totally should. I am making it sound more intense than it actually is. But if you stick on some red lights and put on the right music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lndSI1zwNv8 you can get pretty immersed.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Given that the new Battlestar Galactica has the more realistic space battles any TV show has produced yet, yes, that music fits excellently. :)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Mithaldu posted:

Given that the new Battlestar Galactica has the more realistic space battles any TV show has produced yet, yes, that music fits excellently. :)

I'd say The Expanse has it beat.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

LostCosmonaut posted:

Hm. I watched this. In theory it looks like it's more physically correct. In practice i can't tell what the gently caress happened because the camera is constantly swinging and rotating in random directions. :/

I'm also dubious on the glowy bits left behind by the bullets going through their ship. Can't imagine what they could be for them to actually stand perfectly still like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhKWeGXduzs

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

My favorite thing from the books that they put in the show is the idea that rail guns versus spaceships is literally like shooting fish in a barrel. You just hammer rounds through it like wet paper and hope you hit a critical system or something squishy.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

A literally game-changing patch with a 0.0.1 version increase. :v:

Patch 1.1.1 - Auto-reintercept, distributed fire, turret actuators and much more!
Children of a Dead Earth - Q Switched Productions, LLC

Highlights
  • Auto-reintercept whenever enemy dodges your intercept
  • Distribute Fire amongst many targets such as swarms of drones or missiles
  • Guns which launch payloads can be manually fired, just like launcher modules.
  • Electric Turret Actuators
  • Internal weapon mounts
  • Composite barrel armor
  • Many bugs/crashes/optimizations

Full Changelist:
  • Gameplay
    • Auto-reintercept: Whenever the enemy dodges your intercept, a reintercept will be attempted.
    • Distributed Targeting: Weapons distribute targets amongst each other. Can be disabled optionally.
    • Nose-forward order for aiming roughly at the enemy fleet.
    • Manual Fire: Guns which launch payloads can be manually fired, just like launcher modules.
    • Core Design Changes: All drones use internal mounts now. Many turreted guns use electric actuators now. Several guns have increased/different barrel armor.
  • Design
    • Electric Turret Actuators: Instead of reaction wheels, turrets can use electric motors. Are more power and mass efficient, but suffer on volume and cost.
    • Internal Weapon Mounts: Unturreted guns can be installed on internal mounts, shielding them with spacecraft armor. Increases spacecraft armor mass/cost/size, and greatly increases cooldown times.
    • Composite Barrels: Gun barrel armor can be made different from the barrel material. (Note: Original barrel thicknesses will not be read in, and will need to be rewritten individually.)
    • Core limits changed: Smaller radiator sizes, smaller turret/gimbal sizes, smaller laser cavities/rods, smaller ammo modules, lower carrier module power, lower loader min charge, smaller turbopumps, launcher range increase, reactor components mass, propellant tank size, coilgun stages, rad shield size.
    • New Materials (many are gathered from the forums): SmCo Magnet, NdFeB Magnet, Cu-242, Sr-90 Titanate, NaK, FLiNaK, Gd, Gd-157 (+Seebeck coefficients), PETN, Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene, Nd, Ir-192, ZrC, Ti-Beta, AlBe.
    • UHMWPE has been split into a fiber version (which is porous and can't be used as a propellant tank) and a bulk version (which is weaker).
    • Costs of magnets slightly altered, now take into account coercivity.
    • Can customize cargo bay shell material.
  • AI
    • Missiles will now scatter if enemy missiles are inbound.
  • UI
    • Listboxes and dropdown lists have a search filter textbox.
    • Guns now show their spread/accuracy.
    • Added more conventional gun stats in module design.
    • Module lists don't reset when deleting modules.
    • Show Advanced Modules can be set by default in options.
  • Modding
    • Property limits have been extracted into a file and now can be modded. (Mod at your own risk, changing limits can be very crashy!)
    • Added black box power modules.
    • Chemical reaction, material, and dissociation reactions now send user to import log if they fail validation.
    • Invalid Shear/Young's Modulus produces import log error now.
  • Other
    • Fleet separation takes into account velocity more correctly, so high speed launchers/manual gun launching can net you substantial initial acceleration towards the enemy.
    • A number of damage related bugs fixed, including turreted gun barrel armor not being affected by damage, laser optic damage fixes, and indestructible lasers bug.
    • Numerous bugs. Notable ones: half velocity per delta-v expenditure, missile "teleportation" bug, TaHfC and Nickel property bugs, bug preventing gold on False Flag, black box engine mass flow errors, arc lamp envelope singularity issue, moon rotation, and many more minor bugs.
    • Numerous crash fixes. Some optimizations done.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Oh cool I was thinking about play this weekend, too

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I didn't realize there was a thread! I do think this thing is more of thing to play around with than a proper game, but I've still spent a bunch of time on it.

I made this. It probably has an effective isp of like, 10, but... :jeb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYdiBqzxeEo

It's pretty crazy that that works purely as an emergent property of the game's simulation. I realized the game should technically support that when I looked into why my missiles kept dying to lasers way more than they should. Turned out the lasers weren't penetrating their heavy frontal armor, but the impulse from ablated armor material was big enough to jerk the missile around enough to expose its weak sides and then the laser to burn through there.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 29, 2017

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I have had no luck finding decent gameplay stuff for this on youtube. Which is a shame, cause its entertaining to watch people do crazy stuff with it. Stuff like that Orion Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I thought I may as well duplicate my posts from the grog thread here, bear in mnd they are a few patches out of date by now.

Saros posted:

I don't know if anyone's still paying attention to Children of a Dead earth but watching the game's forums essentially redevelop the Star wars program, battleship design and armor tech, along with the various stages of denial has been a great source of entertainment for me.

First people figured out how to armor against hypervelocity rounds with stuffed whipple shields. As an aside nukes and lasers cant usually flash strong enough to destroy the aerogel layers so it works against them too.

Then people figured the bonkers properties of Silica aerogel made lasers basically useless.

Afterwards micromissiles were developed. If you can stick 20,000 tiny Kinetic kill missiles on a ship you win every single battle with ease by just abrading away the armor but this is widely regarded as too boring and kills framerates.

Then some smart cookie developed HEAT rounds using Nuclear warheads to penetrate the above armor.

and they just got more comical from there (I'm taking a 10 megaton nuke throwing a 100cm diameter circle, 20cm osmium thick explosively formed penetrator).

Once everyones realise you literally couldnt stop penetration from Nuke EFP's redundant Citadel design was discovered mimicking old dreadnoughts. The N-EFP's are so good they generally only do tiny puncture holes before going out the back of the ship so redundancy rules the day.

and then they figured out that really you only needed to melt everyones radiators and engines to disable them... 850 GIGATON Nuke ahoy

So everyone started armoring radiators against nukes. After this some bright spark discovered a way to take those hardened radiators and stick them on missiles, basically making this bad boy.

Which either scrapes off all the stuffed whipple shield by the sheer mass of the radiators plasmifying against the armor or just plain cuts ships in half.

Annnnd you're about up to speed with the current state of development.

Saros posted:

MT warheads are much much harder to make and far heavier now after a bunch of nuke design changes in the previous patch, the damage was also being applied in a wonky fashion which has also been fixed. That said the main purpose of nukes now is to melt radiators and engines as main armor is fairly resistant to them.

Quick show of how the game works.

I design a custom missile destroyer, loads of missiles and a handful of autocannon and a laser for point defence.

My custom missile destroyer engages a hostile Corvette and Laser Frigate around some shithole asteroid nobody cares about except the 20k or so people who live on its surface.

We boost to a highly elliptical orbit to make interception harder.

RSF Electric Frost (DDG) spews out a mixed missile salvo. A handful of 5Mt Fusion nukes with a mix of smaller Kiloton range nukes and some shrapnel interceptor missiles. The salvo boosts to intercept separate from the missile destroyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjMP1ev4_gs
Flak missiles and Kiloton nukes badly Damage the Laser Frigate despite point defence attempts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLs_VG1nF4
Closing to finish off the Corvette the Electric Frost fires a heav salvo then turns to doge incoming railgun and coilgun fire. The enemy ship fights bravely but the missile salvo overwhelms its decoys and a brace of nukes going off directly behind it at close range tears apart the engines and the nuclear reactor behind them leaving the ship disabled and adrift. You can see the hull glowing where it has been melted by close range nuke detonations.

(Sorry about the jerkiness of the videos, my laptop hates the recording software with CoaDE for some reason.)

------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01rEVwEXdZ4
A gun battle between two (custom) battecruisers. They have very high acceleration so manage to dodge a lot of the shots until first railgun fire catches the radiators of the hostile cruiser causing the weapons to overheat and then a flak missile tears up the engines.

• Locked thread