Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Saros posted:

I don't know if anyone's still paying attention to Children of a Dead earth but watching the game's forums essentially redevelop the Star wars program, battleship design and armor tech, along with the various stages of denial has been a great source of entertainment for me.

First people figured out how to armor against hypervelocity rounds with stuffed whipple shields. As an aside nukes and lasers cant usually flash strong enough to destroy the aerogel layers so it works against them too.

Then people figured the bonkers properties of Silica aerogel made lasers basically useless.

Afterwards micromissiles were developed. If you can stick 20,000 tiny Kinetic kill missiles on a ship you win every single battle with ease by just abrading away the armor but this is widely regarded as too boring and kills framerates.

Then some smart cookie developed HEAT rounds using Nuclear warheads to penetrate the above armor.

and they just got more comical from there (I'm taking a 10 megaton nuke throwing a 100cm diameter circle, 20cm osmium thick explosively formed penetrator).

Once everyones realise you literally couldnt stop penetration from Nuke EFP's redundant Citadel design was discovered mimicking old dreadnoughts. The N-EFP's are so good they generally only do tiny puncture holes before going out the back of the ship so redundancy rules the day.

and then they figured out that really you only needed to melt everyones radiators and engines to disable them... 850 GIGATON Nuke ahoy

So everyone started armoring radiators against nukes. After this some bright spark discovered a way to take those hardened radiators and stick them on missiles, basically making this bad boy.

Which either scrapes off all the stuffed whipple shield by the sheer mass of the radiators plasmifying against the armor or just plain cuts ships in half.

Annnnd you're about up to speed with the current state of development.

I need to make some videos about that game holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
hey baloogs i got a strange question for ye

why don't you add Colombian soviet-engineered cartel subs to CMANO?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hey Phi230 ive got a strange question for ya

Who the hell taught you to post? So I can SMACK THEM IN THE LIPS?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dandywalken posted:

Hey Phi230 ive got a strange question for ya

Who the hell taught you to post? So I can SMACK THEM IN THE LIPS?

make me

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hey baloogan when are you going to add ufos to command so I can test out the ASAT weapons on a worthy target

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF1_MrEMpew

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Nuclear shaped charges?

So the CoaDE players discovered Casaba Howitzers? Awesome.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

hey baloogs i got a strange question for ye

why don't you add Colombian soviet-engineered cartel subs to CMANO?

got any hard stats? we're realism spergs, even hypotheticals need hella hard stats

Stairmaster posted:

hey baloogan when are you going to add ufos to command so I can test out the ASAT weapons on a worthy target

every bogie is a UFO till eyes on or NCTR !!
but yeah realism

one scenario I know is set in the 1970s and features F-22s and F-35s as standins for UFOs

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
When can we expect y'all to implement 3D graphics? I mean, the game's already 2D, you're 2/3rds of the way there!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Baloogan, what ideas for the land combat model can you reveal?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
szzzhzhzhehheuuuuruuuu (jets flying at low level)

kaaabaobxjouidoibudjofg (napalm)

ratatatatatatatatt rattatatatatatatat

ka BLAM!
BAM!
(ears ringing)

zzeeeeezuuzeueuu (jet turbines engines)
ROROAROAGHH KRKRKRKR RKCUNK CUNK CUNK CUNK (drivetrain of abrams tanks ratting by)

crack! pitschoooooooooooooooo (atgm)

thop thwop twhop twhop twhopt twhop twhop

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Christ, I dont think we have the technology for that kind of fidelity

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Baloogan posted:

szzzhzhzhehheuuuuruuuu (jets flying at low level)

kaaabaobxjouidoibudjofg (napalm)

ratatatatatatatatt rattatatatatatatat

ka BLAM!
BAM!
(ears ringing)

zzeeeeezuuzeueuu (jet turbines engines)
ROROAROAGHH KRKRKRKR RKCUNK CUNK CUNK CUNK (drivetrain of abrams tanks ratting by)

crack! pitschoooooooooooooooo (atgm)

thop thwop twhop twhop twhopt twhop twhop

I want to hear your foley work IRL.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
One of my favorite mods of all time.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

That's great :allears:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How deep is the space sperg sim? When people say they're making nuclear EFPs or diamond rocket engines is the game somehow simulating actual physics or is it abstracted out somehow? I can't for the life of me picture how the thing works.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If I'm too dumb for Kerbal dead earth is gonna be too much right?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

How deep is the space sperg sim? When people say they're making nuclear EFPs or diamond rocket engines is the game somehow simulating actual physics or is it abstracted out somehow? I can't for the life of me picture how the thing works.

its not abstracted at all, which means when more than 50 or so missiles are in flight poo poo slows down

or like, 100,000 projectiles

game is epic

StashAugustine posted:

If I'm too dumb for Kerbal dead earth is gonna be too much right?

its alot easier than KSP you don't need to design your own stuff if you dont' want to
orbital trajectories is the only hard bit, but it will hold your hand through it
imo get it, return it if its too hard

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

aphid_licker posted:

The simulation of components is done during design and is realistic as possible. Once you get into the game most components function as black boxes that do X job requiring Y cooling and Z power, you're not actually simulating the fluid dynamics of each rocket nozzle etc. The exception is armor/damage which is fully sim'd allowing for all sorts of excitement.

Efp are kind of weird in that the nuke is a black box but the efp/plasma jet is dynamic based upon the armor sim.

Saros fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 8, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That's neat and clever, I'm digging it.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Wait, so the final step of warship evolution after nuclear shaped charges and casaba howitzers is a big conventional rocket with knives on the sides with which to cut up enemy ships? :psyduck:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Asehujiko posted:

Wait, so the final step of warship evolution after nuclear shaped charges and casaba howitzers is a big conventional rocket with knives on the sides with which to cut up enemy ships? :psyduck:

it uses a nuclear charge to turn the fins into plasma jets like a big spikey nuclear shaped charge

conventional explosives exist in Children but they are so lackluster compared to nuclear weapons that there really isn't any point to them except to make point defense flak shells. or... conventional armor piercing shells that explode slow down the sim after 1000 or so are in the air.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Actually my reading of the spikey missiles is that they are basically a kinetic kill weapon rather than being armed with warheads or anything but I might be wrong. basically the fins are so big they negate the effect of the layered armor everyone is using.

There's a new patch today which fixes whatever was causing Aerogels to be basically impervious to lasers so things might start to swing back the other way as missile defence just got a whole lot easier. It's got a lot of missile guidance fixes so things might improve a bit on that front as well.

I tried to make some videos but my laptop sucks and doesn't handle game + recording very well.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Huh, generally when I use missiles I rarely get them anywhere near the enemy ship. My 'remove all the pre-existing ships/module designs' game has settled into a game of throwing Mt warheads at eachother..

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Baloogan please don't get drunk and permabanned tonight, we don't want to lose any grogposters :ohdear:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i have posted so consistently poorly in the election forum that i have been appointed idiot king

I wish to have no connection with any weak liquor; for I intend to go in harm's way.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Godspeed and God be with you. :patriot:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Baloogan posted:

Huh, generally when I use missiles I rarely get them anywhere near the enemy ship. My 'remove all the pre-existing ships/module designs' game has settled into a game of throwing Mt warheads at eachother..

MT warheads are much much harder to make and far heavier now after a bunch of nuke design changes in the previous patch, the damage was also being applied in a wonky fashion which has also been fixed. That said the main purpose of nukes now is to melt radiators and engines as main armor is fairly resistant to them.

Quick show of how the game works.

I design a custom missile destroyer, loads of missiles and a handful of autocannon and a laser for point defence.

My custom missile destroyer engages a hostile Corvette and Laser Frigate around some shithole asteroid nobody cares about except the 20k or so people who live on its surface.

We boost to a highly elliptical orbit to make interception harder.

RSF Electric Frost (DDG) spews out a mixed missile salvo. A handful of 5Mt Fusion nukes with a mix of smaller Kiloton range nukes and some shrapnel interceptor missiles. The salvo boosts to intercept separate from the missile destroyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjMP1ev4_gs
Flak missiles and Kiloton nukes badly Damage the Laser Frigate despite point defence attempts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLs_VG1nF4
Closing to finish off the Corvette the Electric Frost fires a heav salvo then turns to doge incoming railgun and coilgun fire. The enemy ship fights bravely but the missile salvo overwhelms its decoys and a brace of nukes going off directly behind it at close range tears apart the engines and the nuclear reactor behind them leaving the ship disabled and adrift. You can see the hull glowing where it has been melted by close range nuke detonations.

(Sorry about the jerkiness of the videos, my laptop hates the recording software with CoaDE for some reason.)

------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01rEVwEXdZ4
A gun battle between two (custom) battecruisers. They have very high acceleration so manage to dodge a lot of the shots until first railgun fire catches the radiators of the hostile cruiser causing the weapons to overheat and then a flak missile tears up the engines.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 8, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hey in CMANO why does the US attack me as RUS in the Syria DLC?

Im only bombing ISIS targets. Is Trump prez?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
considering hillary is the one pushing for the no fly zone id be more scared of her, but both candidates are going to expand that war so it works with both

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Still there os no warning and I always get fired upon.

The only warning I got was the Turks being nad at me for bombing their rebels and helping tge kurds

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Baloogan when you wake up from your alcohol poisoning coma when can we expect the you trump it you fix it scenario?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

He's not banned yet? Thats a surprise.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So what's the best grognard game for simulating the coming nuclear hellfire?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Drone posted:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/After_the_End

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Defcon.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Saros posted:

He's not banned yet? Thats a surprise.

No kidding. I came to this thread just to check if he was still with us.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I've never wanted a modern remake of Shadow President more than I do right now.

gently caress, I might play that later today.