Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Did we even see the church before the attack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Nope. Church has that scenario or "Priest Olek the Trader" depending on how the game loads it for you.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 40

Katia grabs a few booze and cigs to go trade to the military boys.

This place is pretty useless without the Cigarette Shortage.

I don't know why I bothered trading, but I really don't need the alcohol for anything since Bruno just made 6 more of each.

Thank god the veggie shortage is over. It didn't do anything for trading, so who knows how bad it was.

War is hell.

The mother of the two little boys shows up.

She gives us 8 coffee. Refusing does nothing for morale as far as I can tell. Accepting does nothing but give us coffee.

We do like it, thank you. Come on back anytime, we've got more food than we can eat.

Wish me luck. The third guy sometimes gets me.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Well that didn't go smoothly.

Night 41

"They've seen some armed individuals here. I'd better be careful."

There is a guy guarding the front entrance.

And there's a note in the outbuilding.

Alright, we got all the good stuff out.
Should last us a while. What about the next job?
I wouldn't mind hitting a humanitarian aid transport again.
Yeah, we'll fix'em good and proper.

They head into the building with death stalking them.

They go upstairs. One goes 2 stories up. The other hangs out at the landing for a moment.

And then he goes left into the actual warehouse part.

The best way I've found to do this is to make noise so the guy on the right comes down to find you.

Then you hide. And juuuust as you're about to backstab your phone should ring causing you to miss.

So you have to hit him with a hatchet in a blind panic hoping he doesn't shoot your rear end. If you succeed you answer the call and pause the game.

The other guy is always right outside this door. But not this time.

Roman runs back and forth to get his attention, and then he gets bugged and flickers in and out of the game entirely. He does not move, despite me standing right in front of him.

So you shoot him (which does nothing) and then he unbugs himself, so you run upstairs.

And then he just sort of gives up and walks away.

And turns to face you at the exact moment you click to backstab instakill. So what do you do? Swing wildly with the hatchet praying he doesn't get a shot off and alert the other guy.

He pistol whips you, but that's bearable. Right about now you should realize the time is about 2hrs past where it usually is.

So you break out the shotgun and go suns out guns out on this guy.

He shoots you, and it hurts. Right now you curse the god drat phone call that happened ten minutes ago because that set the entire tone for this level.

Bust open the grates for Marko.

Then run for the exit. Fail at reaching the exit. Swear loudly because it's never good having a wounded person out during the day.

Roman shows up around 10am.

He is sad for some reason. He bandages his wounds, then takes a double-helping of food.

He is no longer sad. Food is wonderful.

Bruno has the next two days sorted for him. Cooking 42 meals.

Make cigs, make bandages, make booze, make filters, filter water...

And send Marko out to scavenge the warehouse.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 42

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but there is a lot of stuff here. We've got 2 or 3 more nights for Marko.

I didn't even get done the second floor and my backpack was full of good stuff.

Locked doors never stopped me. Just go around!

poo poo. This one stopped me.

This place is pretty big.

Probably 12 lootable spots here. Backpack has been full for a while.

Everyone is well fed, two are content. Trap rats, make herbs rather than veggies this time, filter water, make filters...

Back to the warehouse!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 43

That door didn't even need to be unlocked. See the stairwell going up into that room?

What I can't understand is why it says "Lots of Food" when I can't find a single bit of it.

Franco shows up. Water, filters, rats...

On another note: City Radio has been quiet for the last four days. It's not even on air anymore, so I don't know if that means the military is doing something, or rebels have control of that part of the city or what.

Notice that everyone is Well Fed and Content? Yay. The game won't go past day 60, at least I've never seen it, so I can just start eating twice a day every day with every single person since I have so much food.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 44

Found the food. It was in a cabinet that wasn't searchable until now. Weird.

City Radio is still dead silent. News of warm weather and nothing else of note.

Hello! I've got a proposition for you!

What the gently caress are you talking about? New? It's been 45 miserable days.

Not from around here? Whatever, the house is abandoned, might as well send Roman to help.

Pick herbs, replant.

I looked at every single place and the only one I really didn't go too in depth with is Old Town since the whacko chased me out of his house. Lets go back there and see what happens.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 7, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 45

Robert doesn't look so good. He's holding his side, limping, and mumbling to himself. He doesn't even see me standing here.

I walk right in and start taking stuff. He's so out of it that he doesn't notice me at all. He hears my sounds, but doesn't actually see me despite walking past me.

Lets open this up and see what's upstairs.

Bathrooms always have meds. None of this is marked 'Private Property' so I'm not stealing from anyone. I can't find a way to give anything to Robert either.

He's really out of it.

Digging this out so I can see what's out there tomorrow night.

Roman got sugar and tobacco from the abandoned house.

Filters, meds, bandages, water, filters...

And now back to Old Town.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
That's odd. That really should not be happening.

But here's another pro tip. If you aren't sure you've got every locked thing open in a location you plan to return to, you can leave your crowbar behind instead of bringing it back and forth. Tools never disappear during resource drains.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 46

I fully expect the war to end in the next two or three days. Robert here just follows along sightlessly.

He does yell at me though.

But he won't step out into sniper fire. He's not completely bonkers I guess.

There is a canal and more houses to the right. I can't get to them of course, and I can't get in the tank just to see whats up.

Radio One (the station on the right of the band) is still dead.

You guys know the drill.

Lets go back to the hospital, it's the only place I haven't really explored. I'll bring some stuff to donate.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
About the Hospital, I think if you don't run and don't try to open any locked containters (which you can only see are locked if you have something to break a lock with) then the people there won't turn hostile.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 47

Yep, it got hit with a shell. See the burning half-bulding in the background?

Hey can you help?
If you find any medical supplies in the rubble return them to the doctor.
We lost much in the last shelling. We could use an extra pair of hands.

Thats fine, I'll help. Let me just dig into this pile of...

You're a jerk. You ask me to dig through trash so I do and you give me a warning. rear end in a top hat.

The doc is kind of a dick.

One trade.

One donation.

Zero morale boost.

This dude has one arm, other is amputated just above his elbow.

I dig through the rubble and find a couple meds.

I dig through more rubble and find nothing.

I drop them off at the doctor who doesn't even give me a thank you and head home.
"Good... have you got any more?"

Is that two days in a row for Franco?

Thanks for everything Franco. I don't know if we'll see each other again, so take these meds, bandages, and canned food for free.

Bruno made more bandages and meds. Replanted the herbs... Filtered more water, made more booze, same old poo poo.

So now I don't know where to go. Probably only a few days left. The Ruined Villa and Quiet House are owned by people who are just trying to survive like us. We could go steal from them, but it's not nice. I could murder them, but that's slightly less nice.

Back to the Garage to trade since we haven't been there in 41 days? His father needs meds and bandages, so I could donate some to his cause.

Let me know where I should go because there isn't anything bad. Killing the military guys at the Outpost is bad. Stealing their poo poo is nearly impossible, and also bad.

We've been everywhere, we have a surplus of everything.

Pick your poison, people.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 4, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Montegoraon posted:

About the Hospital, I think if you don't run ... then the people there won't turn hostile.

Seriously?

Have I been getting my rear end shot because I run up the stairs every time? That might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It makes perfect sense because I run everywhere in non-hostile places.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
How about the Garage? There's an area way in the back that you can get to that has some stuff you can take that isn't private property. Bring a saw blade.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, go to the garage, see if the old man is still alive.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Just gotta say I'm loving this LP. I've had my eye on this game but never pulled the trigger. Think I'll give it a go thanks to you.

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL
Great LP man, love the fast updates and commentary. Wonder if you'd consider LPing another slice of life game, like Cart Life?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 48

41 Days later the father is still alive. And also still sick.

I end up donating the rest of my medical supplies to him for nothing.

Because as Montegoraon said there is stuff in back that isn't private.

There are a few piles on the roof. 3 in the actual garage part, and two downstairs that are easily accessible.

All have some goodish stuff in them like fertilizer, some tobacco, and basically nothing else I want.

Back at home I take stock of our supplies.

Yeah, we're all set for another 50 days if we have to. I also have 4 more moonshine on the still, and 4 more pure alcohol on the distillery.

Just for fun I see what else we can make. 4 Bandages, 4 bottled meds, and 252 smokes.

I guess Marko is going to go clean out the garage now.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 49

Everyone is well fed and content.

Marko hands the man 3 herbal meds, 1 bandage, and 1 bottled meds. Then loots whatever he can.

The radio has been completely silent for six days now.

The herbs finished growing, so Bruno harvests them and plants fifteen more.

Voyt shows up again.

I tell him no. He asks again, and Katia says no for a second time.

He leaves in a pissy mood.

The group relaxes after a days work. God damnit! Bruno stop playing around!

Night falls and the radio squawks to life.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Fifty days of hell. Lets see what we did!

Day 7: I don't remember this. Was this the first time we went to the garage and traded bandages/meds to him? I looked through my screenshots on day 7 and don't have any neighbors visiting, so it must be the garage.

Day 12: Roman killed a lot more than one bandit on day 12 at the Brothel.

Day 14: Then Roman helped the nighbors reinforce their house.

Day 17: Sniper ally, opened the basement door for the wounded man to get to his baby in the crib.

Day 21: That's not how I remember it. This was the hotel where bandits were torturing a hostage. Roman rescued them and the next night Marko went looting.

Day 22: We lied to some soldiers to protect our friendly neighbors.

Day 27: Roman helped carry a man hit by a sniper bullet to the hospital.

Day 31: Roman went all Boondock Saints on the bandits that killed Father Olek in the church.

Day 32: Neighbor kids needed meds. We had plenty to spare.

Day 34: Construction site. Roman watched a civilian get gunned down by soldiers and avenged him.

Day 36: Neighbor kids needed food for their sick mother. We gave them all they asked for and would have donated more, but had no option to do so.

Day 50: We turned down stealing from a rich family.

The war ends.
"The long awaited ceasefire finally came into force, eventually putting an end to the fighting in Pogoron. Those who managed to survive the war in Graznavia would never forget it."

Notable things they missed:
Donating to the hospital. Digging out meds and donating them back to the hospital.
Roman killing the thugs at the warehouse late in the game.
Being generally awesome.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

"Katia used her contacts to find her parents in a refugee camp abroad. She brought them back to the city and helped rebuild their house. Soon after that she published her war diary which became a bestseller and drew widespread attention to the fate of civilians during war."

"After the ceasefire Bruno set off looking for his friend. Her neighborhood saw heavy fighting and the majority of housing had been reduced to ruins, but she found shelter in the basement which somehow held. Despite the hardships she managed to survive and was happy to see Bruno alive as well. They remain friends to this day."

"After the war Roman sought out his former buddies and much to his great relief learnt that most of them admired his courage and the decision he made. He returned to his neighborhood and became a leader of the local community."

"After the war Marko found his family who managed to avoid the worst atrocities hidden away by a friendly country family. They came back to Pogoren along with other people. Normalcy returned to the city. Buildings were rebuilt. Schools and shops reopened. Life went on."

There are a lot of different endings possible. I didn't do anything bad, no one died, no one was depressed, we didn't murder civilians... so we got the happy endings across the board. The other endings are not so happy. Katia loses her parents, Brunos friend is dead... things like that.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
In the last third of my game I basically did zero scavenging and just sent Katia out to trade every night. Is loot randomly generated or is it the same every game?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Loot is always the same. However, events that cause certain materials to disappear are unpredictable. They may happen, or not, and may vary in severity.

So, that went pretty well. How about a real challenge? Try to survive 40 days with... Pavle, Marin, Anton and Cveta.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Replace Pavel and Marin with Emilia and Zlata and that would be a living hell for me.

I think I'm going to take a break on this game, maybe do another game before the Dwarf Fortress Arena thing gets going.

Don't really know what game. All my games are old as dirt.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I love how being a math professor makes Anton good at catching rats. Because that is a skill that is especially useful in academia.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Does the DLC content add much to the game?

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Morbidmind posted:

Does the DLC content add much to the game?

*Shrugs* PS4 port got a whole new house and you can care for kids, but I don't think so. I'm waiting for it to go cheap before grabbing it.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Spermy Smurf posted:

Seriously?

Have I been getting my rear end shot because I run up the stairs every time? That might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It makes perfect sense because I run everywhere in non-hostile places.

Running has no effect in any non-hostile area, Hospital included. Some of the nurses complain about you making a racket, but that's as far it ever goes. So you must've picked a lock or stolen goods while someone was looking.

Unless, of course, the game was glitching out or something.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Despite some images breaking, this was a really good play through, and now I really want to take a stab at This War of Mine.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Well, now would be an excellent time, considering they just released a major free content patch with new locations, characters, and a whole new ending.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Better yet, it's on sale for $5!

https://gamesrepublic.com/game/strategy,this-war-of-mine-anniversary-edition,6021.html

I bought the mobile version but will probably get this too, I think there's greater variety of locations.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
It's amazing how if you know what to do, what to build and what to prioritize and just get a bit lucky things just start to snowball.

Amazing work, I've never had such an easy time with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
For the PS4 owners still on the fence about this, you can grab it for free as part of the January PS+ system.

• Locked thread