Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

This War of Mine is a war survival game by 11 Bit Studios. It was released late 2014, and a few updates have happened since then. Children were added, the ability to customize the story and characters, and a lot of bug fixes so far.

The game follows a night and day schedule where you build your base and have random events happen during the day, and then you scavenge for supplies in the ruined city at night. Soldiers, rebels, bandits, and innocent characters will be everywhere for you to interact with at night and how you interact with them is up to you. Random events will happen to you at night, raids from soldiers, rebels, or bandits so you need to be able to defend your home.

Your characters will get sick, hungry, wounded, and tired. They will become depressed, content, happy, or suicidal based on decisions you make in the game. There are chain smoking characters who get angry and drunk when you don't have cigarettes as well as caffeine addicts who fall into a depression without coffee every few days.

I'll be playing a custom map with a custom starting group where I can hopefully showcase a few different characters and their strengths and weaknesses in the day and scavenging at night.

I do not know what to do with images. The game is 1600x900 resolution and after I resize them to 50% resolution it's just too small. I'll be doing [img] to [timg] so you can click on them to make them bigger, but I don't know how that will look for the phone browsers. If anyone has any ideas please let me know what to do...

Edit: It doesn't look too bad on my phone actually.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Our house has lots of rooms. Our four characters are visible.

Bruno, Katia, Roman, and Marko are the four I have chosen.

Bruno was chosen because he can cook at a discounted rate. Instead of requiring 4 water he can use 3. Add that up for 50 days of cooking meals and it really helps; it even gets better with an upgraded stove. That's literally the only reason he is here. He's a useless sack of crap otherwise. He's moody, a smoker, gets sick a lot, has only 10 scavenging slots, and is probably the worst guard in the entire game. At least from my experience that is all true, but there are probably people out there with a Wiki that tells he is not that bad of a character. I personally hate him, but his cooking (and distillery) skills are invaluable for a while.

Katie is our resident trader. Any time we go to trade we'll be using her. The discount is not much, but without it the game is nearly impossible. Traders have different needs and wants. Some want alcohol and cigarettes, others want medical supplies, and others don't have a preference.

Roman. That's not a pimple on his nose, it's blood spatter. Roman is our resident thug. No morals, good with a gun, and insanely deadly with a knife. He is also the angriest character, so I'll be prioritizing cigarettes for him because otherwise he'll beat the hell out of Katia in a drunken rage.

Marko is going to be our night owl. He's got 15 backpack slots, he's pretty quiet at night, and he can knife people who corner him if he has to.

Our home has a tree house! You can see Katia and Marko digging into piles of rubble and lamenting the fact we don't have a shovel... yet. Just kidding; gently caress shovels.

Everyone begins digging through rubble while Roman lines up at the workshop. He makes a metal workshop so we can build things out of metal...

...like a crowbar.

Katia uses it to break open a locked cabinet.

Bruno uses it to break open a locked door.

Roman makes two beds and falls alseep in one around 3pm. The other characters have found all of these goods in the house.

Basic Items: Bandages, medicine, some meat of unknown origin, veggies and herbs.

Equipment: Crowbar and two lock picks which are nice for stealthily stealing at night.

Materials: Box of materials (the single most used item in the game), mechanical components, sugar, water, wood, electrical components (that's a diode and a resistor).

Other: Books (which I can burn if we need to, but people love the books so it's a cheap way to entertain them) and a jewel.

Night falls on Day 1. We have two choices where to scavenge and both appear to be uninhabited. What one do you want me to do?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 31, 2016

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Abandoned cottage

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Shelled Cottage

Good luck surviving the war friend.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
If I recall, the reason you can't go out and scavenge during the day is due to the city crawling with snipers. Everyone's stuck inside all day long, as a consequence. You can hear artillery shells going off in the distance, too.

Speaking of shells, let's stop by the shelled cottage. Make sure there's enough food for Bruno to cook everybody a big pot of Mystery Soup tomorrow.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Shelled Cottage it is.

Playing night now.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Marko grabs the crowbar and heads out. The crowbar can open multiple doors and locked cabinets whereas a lockpick is single-use only. Plus the thing said it was abandoned, so noise won't be an issue.

He digs through the rubble in the front yard and comes up with some materials and wood which are needed very much to build a stove at home.

Marko looks through the keyhole. Vision in this game is really neat, it's actually based on what your character can see. Everything else is fuzzy.

Raiding a fridge nets a bunch of food.

The basement has a locked cabinet, so Marko beelines to it. Notice the circle around him: That is the noise indicator. He is making that much noise, and it radiates away from him in all directions. If someone was nearby they would hear it even through walls and come to investigate.

It takes nearly 2hrs to dig through a pile of rubble that blocks the way. A shovel would have taken 20 minutes, but it's not worth building.

The cabinet had a pack of meds and bandages. Score! Marko begins digging the next pile of rubble because that looks like a fallen soldier behind it. If we can get a gun this early it'll really help Roman out defending the home at night from bandits.

No gun, but some gun parts which can be used to make things like a knife or hatchet.

This vision thing is neat.

The magnifying glass means something is there to be read or noticed, not just a normal scavenging pile.

Marko didn't bring home jack squat in the way of materials or wood, but the food is more important. People can go without food for three or five days, but they lose stamina, health, and sometimes just won't get out of bed.

Marko gets back home safely before dawn. Snipers won't get him this time.

No bandits tried to steal our supplies, so the night passed with no trouble at home.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 31, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Roman and Marko sleep off the night. Getting them to bed ASAP is important because in this way you can rotate beds. It's not an issue right now because I built two beds. With one bed and micro managing you can sleep at 6am and wake up around 12:30, then immediately send the next guy to bed and he'll be fully rested by nightfall.

Bruno goes to make food and realizes he doesn't have any firewood. The first bowl is a single unit of cooked food. It's nutritious and will fill someone up from the hungry status. The second is a double-bowl which basically just requires veggies and slightly less resources to cook. The two-bowl thing requires one meat and one veggies, but you don't see much savings for resources until you start cooking 4 or 6 or 8 meals at a time.

Bruno pulls a Hitler and burns books in order to cook the food.

Bruno begins cooking four nutritious meals (after he makes a stove) when someone knocks at the door. It's Franco come to Barter. He's a lifesaver and you'll soon see why.

Materials and wood!

More materials!

And even more stuff we need. Bottom right between the wood and firewood is a filter. These things take 3 materials to make and are used for alcohol and water creation. Very valuable, and he basically just gives them away.

Okay I think that's everything I want from him.

Just kidding. Okay, now I'm done.

Katia upgrades the Workshop to give us more things to make.

And immediately makes a trap and places it in the basement. She baits the trap with compost which will provide 2 meat (rats) in a random number of days. It's usually two to three days before I get meat out of it. I'll build another trap as soon as I can, but a few other things take priority here.

Despite buying everything we could from Franko we are completely out of materials to build anything. This is an ongoing problem.

The guys wakes up around 1pm and eat. Yes, it took 40 minutes for them to sprint from the beds to the stove in order to eat.

Bruno grills up four more meals for tomorrow or the next day, depending on what Marko finds tonight.

Where should we look? I don't have weapons or anything, so I would prefer revisiting the Shelled Cottage or hitting up the Abandoned Cottage for the food that is left there.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 31, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Did the Shelled Cottage's info update to reflect it being looted halfway to nothing?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah there is a percentage in the top right of the screen, plus the list of what is there is updated accordingly.

Edit: My auto-crop cut it off. Changed Image.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 28, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Night 2

I picked the Abandoned Cottage. "The looters must've left in a hurry. There's lots of stuff left."

The door won't budge, but there's a ladder right there...

And just like that we're inside.

Snagged some food from the fridge and saw this picture.

Locked cabinets behind debris piles are always worth it. Notice the diameter of noise for trying to break into this thing. Pills, cigarettes, some other stuff inside.

A note upstairs.

A locked door is opened with my handy crowbar. A couple more things in the room, nothing I needed to take though.

And outside we now see a new location to scavenge. It has the pistol that the owner mentioned. I leave it and plan to come back tomorrow. I need wood and materials badly, but this other stuff is more valuable so I took anything else.

Another calm night. I know it won't last. I've got to get a lot lot lot of wood to board up the windows and reinforce the door soon.

Bruno tells me a little bit of his story.

Jackpot! We got a rat!

Reset the trap with compost.

Roman is angry we don't have cigarettes. It's not my fault he smoked five yesterday. I have plenty of herbs and tobacco to make more, but without wood and materials I can't make an herb workbench thingy.

Everyone eats and Bruno makes more food.

And now we're here. Old Town is neat for trading, and so is the military outpost. The shelled school is rife with goods, but I legitimately don't need anything other than what can be found in the first two places right now.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 31, 2016

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
This is really cool. I own this game but I've never even installed it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I couldnt squeeze out another update. See you all Monday for a scavenge and then building all sorts of neat poo poo.

And then the murderfest begins. :getin:

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The ongoing story, far as I can recall, is that the (fictional) city of Pogoren is under rebel control and surrounded by forces loyal to the government. The army outside is shelling the city daily and won't let any humanitarian aid in, citing concerns that it would be used to support the rebels.

This has gone on for months now, and the civilians trapped in the city are running out of everything and starting to metaphorically (and perhaps literally) prey on each other to survive. An ominous little detail about the trading is that to Franko, medicine and banadages are more valuable than gold.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Thanks for adding that, its all correct and something I should have mentioned.

The game was based off of the Bosnia/Serbia war back in uhhh 1993? There is a pretty famous Prepper interview about it. I will try to find it and edit the bottom of this post with it.

You are right. Medicine is absolutely the most valuable item. Well, the assault rifle seems to be able to buy bandages or a bottle of pills which seem to be tied for most valuable 'normal' items. And thats even with the 15% trading fuckery that Katia gets. That number is pulled from my rear end but it must be close, I did a lot of testing to see what trades for what with all the different traders and several characters.

On another note:
The military will take over sections of the city at times. The rebels push back and fighting cuts off parts of the city.

Winter comes and people starve which makes them get kind of murdery and stealy. Winter also cuts off sections of the city for roughly a week at the average setting, so we will see what 'harsh' does.

I set this game to be a harsh winter starting somewhere near midway through.

Edit: Found the interview: http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/bosnia-war-survivor-warns-collapse-america/

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Are you going to doing the trick with the traps and the garden?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The website where that prepper interview is hosted is kinda weird, but the interview itself

quote:

Hospitals, for example, turned into slaughterhouses.

That is not something I needed to hear. gently caress. :cry:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Zenithe posted:

Are you going to doing the trick with the traps and the garden?

I dont know this trick.

I mean, making fertilizer out of the rat meat, then using one to reset the trap and the other to make herbs/veggies is my usual play. Not really a trick, its what the game was designed for...and then you roll it all back into itself via fertilizer out of veggies.

Whats the trick? The Katia trading bug was closed like 2 years ago. I dont know any other exploits.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 29, 2016

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Spermy Smurf posted:

I dont know this trick.

I mean, making fertilizer out of the rat meat, then using one to reset the trap and the other to make herbs/veggies is my usual play. Not really a trick, its what the game was designed for...and then you roll it all back into itself via fertilizer out of veggies.

Whats the trick? The Katia trading bug was closed like 2 years ago. I dont know any other exploits.

Yeah that's the one. I'm terrible at this game so until I found that out I couldn't get very far at all

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, you can loot a whole bunch of stuff but it seems like raw materials are going to be a real bottleneck.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

That is not something I needed to hear. gently caress. :cry:
Count yourself lucky then, considering some of the stories I heard from some of my friends and their parents who had fled the war in former Yugoslavia.

Sylphosaurus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 29, 2016

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Franko for President!

There is a different trick that's still in the game and makes a huge difference in the difficulty. Rationing. Everyone can spend two days at Hungry before they change to Very Hungry. So you can feed them only every second day, with minimal consequences. That will go a very long way to helping you stay afloat until your production gets up and running.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Regarding the image size:

Since you're hosting on Imgur, you can add an "l" right before the file extension in the image link to post them at this size...

...or an "h" for this size.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Montegoraon posted:

... So you can feed them only every second day, with minimal consequences.

What kind of monster are you?

Everyone eats every single day; No exceptions. Maybe twice throughout the game there will be a single person who doesnt eat one day or who has to eat raw meat instead of a cooked meal.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Agreed. Bruno needs to practice daily if he's going to wow the nation with his comeback episode of Bruno's Cuisine, featuring Rat and Old Potato Stew.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Water can be a bigger concern than food (in this game and in real life). Winter is kind of double-edged sword that way - water everywhere, and all the books did burn to melt it.

Will you be doing another run with different people in the inevitable event of the demise of this group?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Kangra posted:

Water can be a bigger concern than food (in this game and in real life). Winter is kind of double-edged sword that way - water everywhere, and all the books did burn to melt it.

Will you be doing another run with different people in the inevitable event of the demise of this group?

Water sucks because it requires a drat filter to make it during summer and winter both. 3 material for 4 water every single day. What a pain in the rear end.

About your other point: I dont lose this game.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Looking forward to this LP because of pre-release interviews about the themes of the game sounding very interesting.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I may not hit too many of those themes this playthrough. I plan on winning the game this time.

I might start a parallel game so I can show you depression, wild mood swings, bolstering spirits, and infighting.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Bruno chat. If Roman isn't around he is the groups best stabber, I think he can instakill from a hiding spot but not just from behind like Roman.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Weavered posted:

Bruno chat. If Roman isn't around he is the groups best stabber, I think he can instakill from a hiding spot but not just from behind like Roman.

AND he doesn't get depressed about it. Bruno is a jerk.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Marko can do that too, plus he has 15 inventory slots. I dont kill innocent people, so Marko doesnt feel bad about it either.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I bought this game on iOS after seeing this LP, pretty neat/bleak. It's not easy!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So do more refugees trickle in to join us or just these four?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

jerman999 posted:

I bought this game on iOS after seeing this LP, pretty neat/bleak. It's not easy!

I've always found the game to be pretty difficult, since I have to get used to letting my people become increasingly miserable day after day, so I can get a handle on what will make them literally die as opposed to just what'll make them want to die.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Well you are in for a treat! I have played maybe 20 times and lost someone once... fricken military base.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So do more refugees trickle in to join us or just these four?

No, I started with 4 which makes it more difficult. No one will be joining us.

If you start with 3 people someone will join around day 10 or so. Its a random person so you may regret it, but you can always tell them to pound sand which ruins morale for a few days.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I like this game but sometimes it gets annoying, not the difficulty but when things get desperate people shouldn't be complaining and moody. For example I had one game where the main scavenger got horribly ill and was about a single day from death, my supplies were low, I had nothing to trade so I broke into this bombed out house with this man and his sick son. No choice for trade I stole his medicine which made the father hostile and I had to kill him when he attacked me. Of course then everyone became depressed for having to murder that guy and a few days later everyone either left or killed themselves. Now I know it would be depressing to kill some one but this was life or death and yet the game refuses to recognise how low people will turn to survive.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Well, you did murder a guy after deciding that you needed the medicine more than his ailing son did. That's kind of the breaking point where a lot of people (who aren't Roman) will stop and ask themselves why they're still getting out of bed and facing this godless Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
What is more annyoing is that everyone knows what a single scavenger did. Just coming home and saying 'I asked and some dude gave it to me' and then not having anyone at home even know would be nice.

And if you get caught stealing from a trader with one person, then everyone is no longer allowed to trade and will be shot on sight.

Annoying.

• Locked thread