Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best David Lynch project
Eraserhead
The Elephant Man
Dune
Blue Velvet
Twin Peaks (TV show)
Wild At Heart
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Lost Highway
The Straight Story
Mulholland Drive
Inland Empire
Other (early short films, music projects, paintings etc)
View Results

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Mullholland Drive has the diner scene, which is a vivid recounting of one of David Lynch's sleep paralysis episodes I think. I don't like the movie, just that scene. Except Dune that's kind of his MO for me, he does cool things but wraps it up in a lot of boring stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UozhOo0Dt4o

good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Wizard Master posted:

Just checked out this moron's post history and get this: he posts almost exclusively in the football subforum. Hardly surprising that someone who legitimately enjoys professional sports wouldn't appreciate the cerebral ambiguity of David Lynch.

My post history takes me down yet again

Vols bitch

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

And for some reason Lynch's Dune is currently the only good interpretation out there.

:shrug:

I don't understand it, but I appreciate that he got somewhere in the vicinity of watchable.

See, whenever I say something like that, I immediately get some nerd riding herd on me like THE SCI-FI CHANNEL MINISERIES IS MORE ACCURATE AND MORE RESPECTFUL TO THE MATERIAL

even though it's loving boring and I never bothered watching the whole thing.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i tried to watch dune a lot of times as a "intelligent sci fi" movie and could never get through it

once i watched it as a "david lynch" movie I realized this is his version of a zany screwball comedy and I now recognize that it's great

also this is greatest right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the dune cgi on the sci fi miniseries has seriously aged worse than the 1984 effects that were seen as cornball in 1984

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i wish lynch did something better visually with the "folding space moving the ship with the mind" thing but it was cool to see eraserheads son all grown up and flying a great big space ship

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eraserhead? I hardly know her!

poorturd
Nov 3, 2016

by Smythe
i had dinner with him. my favorites are eraserhead and mullholland drive.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!

gnarlyhotep posted:

I don't know why everyone dogs on Dune. I've read all of the Dune books and that movie captures the feel and aesthetic of the books perfectly.

I like Dune too, I have a sneaking suspicion that the negativity around Dune stems from Lynch's own feelings - if he wasn't so pissy about it perhaps others wouldn't be?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

poorturd posted:

i had dinner with him. my favorites are eraserhead and mullholland drive.

Cool! What did you talk about

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

macdonal hamborkles posted:

I like Dune too, I have a sneaking suspicion that the negativity around Dune stems from Lynch's own feelings - if he wasn't so pissy about it perhaps others wouldn't be?

It's kind of weird and boring even if you do know Dune.

edit: Just one opinion and I have never read a David Lynch interview or anything

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think if lynch had final cut on Dune it would probably be a masterpiece, and i think de laurentiis panicked when they realized they hired an artsty fartsy fiilmmaker to lead their blockbuster and hosed up badly in their reaction

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

macdonal hamborkles posted:

I think it's a combination of people who don't get Lynch and people who don't get Dune, which is probably most people for both. It's a very narrow slice of a nerd venn diagram that represents people like you and me who get both.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

gnarlyhotep posted:

I think it's a combination of people who don't get Lynch and people who don't get Dune, which is probably most people for both. It's a very narrow slice of a nerd venn diagram that represents people like you and me who get both.

I love pounding on nerds like you.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Wizard Master posted:

I love pounding on nerds like you.

I'm dead to everyone unless I try to become what I may be.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Dune, but not because it's a "good movie". It's deeply flawed as a film, but gently caress it. It's chock full with so much trippy alien poo poo that is almost completely absent from today's sterile sci-fi marketed to China

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Dune, but not because it's a "good movie". It's deeply flawed as a film, but gently caress it. It's chock full with so much trippy alien poo poo that is almost completely absent from today's sterile sci-fi marketed to China

I still wonder what the Lynch Return of the Jedi would have looked like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really want poison antidote producing cats hooked up to milking machines as star wars Canon. And chair dogs. Why the gently caress isnt there a ton more sapient furniture in scifi

• Locked thread