Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

What happened to Northern Ireland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Keep in mind, this is not some extraordinary reach of power or tyranny by the EU. I hate to use patronizing metaphors, but it's like some teenager is fed-up and wants to move out. Like, yeah, they could leave, but the family might still vote to let them leave or not. It's still written in the law and our general social ethics, though, that the parents are legal guardians of that teenager and have the final say in whether they are allowed to leave. This is not unusual or the case of a (using the metaphor) violent parent physically restraining or ejecting the child.

I know it's not a perfect metaphor by any means, but does that make sense? I had the American Revolution taught to me at one point in terms of family metaphors like this, so it's something I'm trying to use here :shobon:

it is an extraordinary reach though, in a way. the EU has been trying to build itself up bit by bit as some sort of backdoor integration program. except thats not how empires are ever formed, throughout all of history.

the people of the UK never had a moment when they where given the choice to consent to an extra-national neo-roman empire. it started off as some simple trade agreements and just sort of snowballed. also i am pretty sure the UK unique history resists the kind of paternalism and psudo-colonization that the EU represents

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i don't think you know what you're talking about probs because you're a moron :(

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
oops

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

the people of the UK never had a moment when they where given the choice to consent to an extra-national neo-roman empire. it started off as some simple trade agreements and just sort of snowballed. also i am pretty sure the UK unique history resists the kind of paternalism and psudo-colonization that the EU represents

Lmao, this is literally the second sentence of the Treaty of Rome(written twenty years before the UK even voted to join the EEC)

quote:

Determined to lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe,

Resolved to ensure the economic and social progress of their countries by common action to eliminate the barriers which divide Europe

There was never any misunderstanding about what the EEC and the EU are. The people of the UK knew very well what they were getting into when they voted to join.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Lmao, this is literally the second sentence of the Treaty of Rome(written twenty years before the UK even voted to join the EEC)

There was never any misunderstanding about what the EEC and the EU are. The people of the UK knew very well what they were getting into when they voted to join.

and they knew exactly what they were getting out of when they voted to leave

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rutibex posted:

The desperate clamouring to be allowed to remain in the single market suggests otherwise.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Rutibex posted:

Getting rid of the foreigns and 350 million quid

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rutibex posted:

lmao, no they didn't. They banged on about 'sovereignty' endlessly, but now that our legal system is actually taking effect they're up in arms about it. Because they were actually voting to get rid of all the forrins and non-whites and used 'sovereignty' as an idiotic word that they didn't understand the meaning of to cover their racism lol.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

And the best bit is now the sovereignty of parliament is being upheld they're all angry again

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Didn't they do a post brexit poll, and many of the people who voted didn't know what it meant. And a majority of the people who didn't vote would have voted to stay in the EU, but didn't vote because they thought brexit would be shut down?

I'm sure that's an apt analogy for another upcoming election but I can't put my finger on it.

Rutibex posted:

If 216 has taught me anything, it's that the clamoring masses know jack poo poo about what they actually want. Best case scenario what they want, but how they want to get it doesn't work.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 6, 2016

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Lmao, this actually reminds me that Cameron managed to get an explicit exception for Britain before the referendum, freeing it from any further integration and guaranteeing its reduced membership fees. He had it in loving writing that Britain will never have to delegate any further rights to the EU, can keep its reduced membership fees and never will have to join any European military project in the future. He had it in writing.

Thanks for reminding me, this makes it even more hilarious.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
well which is it? are the people of the UK a bunch of responsible adults that can vote to join the EU, or a bunch of child babies that can not be trusted to vote to leave it?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

well which is it? are the people of the UK a bunch of responsible adults that can vote to join the EU, or a bunch of child babies that can not be trusted to vote to leave it?

And idiot is a person who consistently makes bad decisions. If that person stops making bad decisions they are no longer an idiot. :ssh:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rutibex posted:

It's one thing to know what you're freeing yourself from, an entirely different thing altogether to know what you're freeing yourself to.

The people who voted to leave were clearly not aware of the latter (who could be?) and questionably aware of the former.

LBJ said it best: "better to be inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in."

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Rutibex posted:

Um... yes?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*Joins European Union*

wait wtf do you mean we're supposed to be a "unified Europe" gently caress that get us outta this bullshit lol

still give us free stuff though thanks chaps euro solidarity

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Rutibex posted:

You're threatening judges and pointing out their sexual preference in order to mob them.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Skarsnik posted:

And the best bit is now the sovereignty of parliament is being upheld they're all angry again

people keep saying lol sovereignty but anyone who actually claimed thats what they wanted meant sovereignty of the people of the uk. so having laws coming from a foreign bureaucracy is not what they want and shockingly, having a bunch of rich lords ignore the democratic will of the country is also not what they want. there is no hypocrisy here, it's not that hard to understand

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

people keep saying lol sovereignty but anyone who actually claimed thats what they wanted meant sovereignty of the people of the uk. so having laws coming from a foreign bureaucracy is not what they want and shockingly, having a bunch of rich lords ignore the democratic will of the country is also not what they want. there is no hypocrisy here, it's not that hard to understand
nobody has ignored the democratic will of the country in any way.

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

nobody has ignored the democratic will of the country in any way.

britain voted in a political party that promised to accept the results of the referendum, and then a democratic vote was taken in which people voted for brexit. now they're trying to say oh actually we didn't mean it. if you think the country were dumb for voting for that, fair enough and almost definitely correct, but I don't see how that's anything other than anti-democracy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CountryMatters posted:

britain voted in a political party that promised to accept the results of the referendum, and then a democratic vote was taken in which people voted for brexit. now they're trying to say oh actually we didn't mean it. if you think the country were dumb for voting for that, fair enough and almost definitely correct, but I don't see how that's anything other than anti-democracy

The results of the referendum have to be ratified by Parliament like any other legislative change or process. That is Parliament's job. The Government cannot simply declare a new law and have it set in stone. The court's judgement simply upholds that extremely basic feature of our legislature.

Essentially, the court made a 100% non-political ruling. They upheld the basic functioning of Parliament and declared that the referendum was not extraordinary enough to bypass the normal legislative process. A ruling to the contrary would be an unprecedented ruling that the Government has the dictatorial power to circumstantially bypass Parliament and declare or dissolve any piece of legislation they please.

Of course, it goes without saying that the Bill should fly through Parliament unobstructed given that it simply confirms the referendum result. Any attempt to block it would be wrong and fundamentally undemocratic. This has not happened. The current fuss is for absolutely no reason.

source: am UK lawyer

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 6, 2016

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Lunchmeat Larry: So if they held a referendum to make it legal to hunt down those of Scottish descent like the subhuman dogs they are (or something dumb like that) and it got 51% of the vote, what would happen from there?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

Lunchmeat Larry: So if they held a referendum to make it legal to hunt down those of Scottish descent like the subhuman dogs they are (or something dumb like that) and it got 51% of the vote, what would happen from there?

this already happened in 1304

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Outrail posted:

give May a couple of years to find a new target after she gets rid of all the foreigners and we'll find out :)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is it actually the case that parliament should always rubber stamp an advisory referendum? What's the point of it having the advisory status if so?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

So what are the benefits of doing a brexit? I feel like I need more information before I decide if this is good or bad.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Is it actually the case that parliament should always rubber stamp an advisory referendum? What's the point of it having the advisory status if so?
well, that's why it's *technically* advisory in the first place - for anything to become law, it needs Parliamentary approval (other than legal case law/precedent, which is only law in so far as it doesn't contradict statute). It would be legally inaccurate to call it anything but advisory since it's not constitutionally binding - on the understanding that Parliament will pass any clear majority referendum unless there's very good reason to the contrary. I don't particularly like the "advisory" wording because it makes it sound less authoritative than it is, and has probably contributed to the confusion in this current case.

Referendums only happen if an Act of Parliament is passed enabling them in the first place, so that comes with the tacit understanding that Parliament will respect the result. It could be argued that this makes the need for an Act accepting the result redundant, which I wouldn't disagree with, but as things stand, it... well, doesn't.

It's not a particularly well thought out system but it's worked until the last couple of years because British people are polite and obedient enough that constitutional convention was actually enough to keep people in line. Now, well.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

well, that's why it's *technically* advisory in the first place - for anything to become law, it needs Parliamentary approval (other than legal case law/precedent, which is only law in so far as it doesn't contradict statute). It would be legally inaccurate to call it anything but advisory since it's not constitutionally binding - on the understanding that Parliament will pass any clear majority referendum unless there's very good reason to the contrary. I don't particularly like the "advisory" wording because it makes it sound less authoritative than it is, and has probably contributed to the confusion in this current case.

Referendums only happen if an Act of Parliament is passed enabling them in the first place, so that comes with the tacit understanding that Parliament will respect the result. It could be argued that this makes the need for an Act accepting the result redundant, which I wouldn't disagree with, but as things stand, it... well, doesn't.

It's not a particularly well thought out system but it's worked until the last couple of years because British people are polite and obedient enough that constitutional convention was actually enough to keep people in line. Now, well.

Well, that does make a lot of sense actually. Imagine parliament calls a referendum on whether to name a newly discovered mollusc species after the queen, but shortly after the referendum the plot of the movie King Ralph happens and some American white trash chick named Britley-Kal33si Razikovsky becomes queen of the UK. The public would never want to go through with the referendum results after that and luckily parliament doesn't have to, because it's non-binding!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Well, that does make a lot of sense actually. Imagine parliament calls a referendum on whether to name a newly discovered mollusc species after the queen, but shortly after the referendum the plot of the movie King Ralph happens and some American white trash chick named Britley-Kal33si Razikovsky becomes queen of the UK. The public would never want to go through with the referendum results after that and luckily parliament doesn't have to, because it's non-binding!

i think the people of the UK would be more concerned with the entire royal family (and presumably house of lords too) being killed all in one fell swoop

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rutibex posted:

i think the people of the UK would be more concerned with the entire royal family (and presumably house of lords too) being killed all in one fell swoop
most of us probably wouldn't be too bothered tbh

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I can't believe any party, for any reason would put an issue this important up for an even implicitly binding general vote. The republican model of democracy via elected representatives is designed to prevent exactly this kind of populist tyranny trainwreck, good job shooting your government in the foot.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

McSpanky posted:

I can't believe any party, for any reason would put an issue this important up for an even implicitly binding general vote. The republican model of democracy via elected representatives is designed to prevent exactly this kind of populist tyranny trainwreck, good job shooting your government in the foot.

The guy who pushed for this referendum had sex with a dead pig. These type people are playing a totally different game from everyone else, maaaan. It's all about money, power and swine poon for them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

The guy who pushed for this referendum had sex with a dead pig. These type people are playing a totally different game from everyone else, maaaan. It's all about money, power and swine poon for them.

I thought both sides were sure it'd be shot down. Isn't that why all the pro brexit politicians quit when it came through?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

McSpanky posted:

The referendum was designed to shut up the pro-exit UKIP fucks because it was obviously going to fail since both major parties are against it and nobody except UKIP voters are dumb enough to vote for it. Except apparently the British people are dumber than anyone reckoned.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I just hope Scotland leaves and rejoins the EU. :ohdear:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i hope Wales declares itself a independent republic

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Rutibex posted:

i hope Wales declares itself a independent republic

And I hope Northern Ireland realizes even being Irish is better than being associated with that other island and joins their southern bretheren.

If Ireland, Wales and Scotland (and Cornwell, they're okay I guess) ditched England and formed a Commonwealth, could they borrow some inbred chucklefucks from France and call themselves the United Kingdom and Leave England in the dust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

We loving better I swear to god

• Locked thread