Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Parliament must vote on whether the UK can start the process of leaving the EU, the High Court has ruled.

This means the government cannot trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty - beginning formal exit negotiations with the EU - on its own.

Theresa May says the referendum - and existing ministerial powers - mean MPs do not need to vote, but campaigners called this unconstitutional.

The government is appealing, with a further hearing expected next month.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37857785

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigel-farage-fears-brexit-betrayal-9186699

Nigel Farage has warned fellow politicians that any attempt to block or delay Britain's exit from the European Union will be met with untold anger from the public.

In a statement released after the historic High Court ruling on Article 50 the interim Ukip leader said he fears a Brexit "betrayal" is on the horizon.

The judges ruled that the government doesn't have the power to trigger two-year exit process Article 50 without a vote by MPs.

Farage campaigned vigorously for Brexit and declared the June 23 referendum Britain's "independence day" after the shock result was confirmed.

Someday the British court ruling on Brexit may be studied as a milestone in parliamentary democracy. For now, though, it throws Britain’s fateful move to part ways with the European Union into considerable disarray.

On Thursday, a three-judge panel of the High Court unanimously ruled that since Parliament voted in 1972 to join the predecessor of the E.U., the government cannot withdraw from the union without Parliament’s approval, even though 51.9 percent of voters backed a departure in a June 23 referendum.

The case was brought by private citizens who argued that the government could not unilaterally strip away rights granted with membership in the bloc. Prime Minister Theresa May and her cabinet, aware that a majority of the members of Parliament had been against leaving, argued that the government did have authority, and she pledged last month to trigger the formal, irreversible two-year process for withdrawal by the end of March without a vote by Parliament.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/04/opinion/parliaments-power-over-brexit.html

You brits can laugh at us for trying to elect a scammer for big business and a former TV host, but your politics is equally as hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Brexit is a mistake.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Oh man, now I want a pretzel, op

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Oh man, now I want a pretzel, op

So go get a pretzel?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This brexit is making me thirsty

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lime Tonics posted:

So go get a pretzel?

I'm working on it

Getting a big soft pretzel no salt

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

I'm working on it

Getting a big soft pretzel no salt

No salt? ...the gently caress??!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they plan to just drag their heels for years with bureaucratic technicalities until everyone forgets they voted to leave

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

luv 2 date boys posted:

No salt? ...the gently caress??!

He did not rule out cheese, let's not be hasty.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

Gamer With Dignity posted:

Brexit is a mistake.

Yea, but do you give people the autonomy to choose to make a mistake or do you go the authoritarian route and make them do the "right" thing? Like imo, it's better to gently caress up today and make people live with what they chose than to toss off democracy and let elites rule.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zev posted:

Yea, but do you give people the autonomy to choose to make a mistake or do you go the authoritarian route and make them do the "right" thing? Like imo, it's better to gently caress up today and make people live with what they chose than to toss off democracy and let elites rule.

It's like who ever votes, doesn't matter, unless you are IN.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Rutibex posted:

they plan to just going to drag their heels for years with bureaucratic technicalities until everyone forgets they voted to leave

Labour are running scared of UKIP and would hate crime a Pole if they thought it'd get Mondeo man to vote for them so we're 100% for economic suicide even if it goes to parliament

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Lime Tonics posted:

He did not rule out cheese, let's not be hasty.

Big yes on the cheese sauce. Gonna put a dash of tabasco in there too

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
this is a desperation move. the (((global elites))) are flipping their poo poo. they don't know what to think. their end is nigh. the union jack will fly free once again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Berious posted:

Labour are running scared of UKIP and would hate crime a Pole if they thought it'd get Mondeo man to vote for them so we're 100% for economic suicide even if it goes to parliament

Most of these words are gibberish and im glad of it

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
If parliament is too heavy handed for the brits, perhaps they should adopt the United States system where two senators from a state with 500,000 people can hold the other 350,000 hostage because gays and freedom and what not

Gamer With Dignity
May 15, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zev posted:

I actually don't know anything about Brexit haha

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

Lime Tonics posted:

It's like who ever votes, doesn't matter, unless you are IN.

I don't understand what you are getting at. Could you explain? I'm kinda dumb... sorry.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zev posted:

I don't understand what you are getting at. Could you explain? I'm kinda dumb... sorry.

Your bribe isn't big enough "PREPARE TO DIE"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc3IuoZ-zwM

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Zev posted:

The people elect representatives to lead them.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
I thought a referendum was them saying that they don't know what to do and letting people vote to pick. I'm not as familiar with British politics as I should be.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Berious posted:

ok good, i was worried i might not see to dissolution of the EU in my lifetime

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zev posted:

I thought a referendum was them saying that they don't know what to do and letting people vote to pick. I'm not as familiar with British politics as I should be.

They voted to leave and the government won't let them. So they want a re-vote, which is funny as gently caress.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

Lime Tonics posted:

They voted to leave and the government won't let them. So they want a re-vote, which is funny as gently caress.

It's like if you say you don't care where we eat and let me decide, then you get grumpy when I pick the bar at Applebee's?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Re-rolls are now a thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its fine to have a revote. but if anyone doesnt like the new results there should of course be a third vote as well

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
I had read that people ironically voted to exit thinking that there vote would not matter. It's pretty funny that even when they win, they still don't matter. gently caress everything.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

its fine to have a revote. but if anyone doesnt like the new results there should of course be a third vote as well

Rock-paper-scissors it, just to be sure.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Raus! :hitler:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zev posted:

The decision still has to be ratified by Parliament, because of the principle of Parliamentary sovereignty - only Parliament can pass binding laws and overrule previous decisions made by Parliament (like, say, joining the EU).

It will pass though, it's a non-story - just a boring technical matter of constitutional law that people are misunderstanding and sensationalising.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
but what if the queen says no to Brexit? then what?!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Pretzels and salt go well together

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
british people are d bags

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
The best thing about brexit is how it totally destroyed the credibility of Brits criticizing other stupid countries.

The second best is how iPhone prices shot way up due to the new exchange rate and they only have their idiot countrymen to blame.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they can't agree on how their government even works because none of it was formally codified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

• Locked thread