Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Larrymer posted:

It appears you are Doing It Right.

Have you checked the timing on the miata? Might just have been advanced for that 2 hp gain that some miata ricers do but then require you running higher octane.

This is something I have always meant to check since I discovered the problem. I even own a timing light yet have never gotten around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'd redo the timing on the Miata anyway, I've seen a not small amount of 1.6s where they tried to do a timing belt replacement themselves without locking the cam (or being sober) and ended up retarding or advancing the exhaust cam relative to the intake.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'd redo the timing on the Miata anyway, I've seen a not small amount of 1.6s where they tried to do a timing belt replacement themselves without locking the cam (or being sober) and ended up retarding or advancing the exhaust cam relative to the intake.

I meant ignition timing, but probably not a bad step after the first.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

More good progress today. We got all the pistons cleaned of the awful carbon sludge and caking post chemdip with a brass wire wheel. Groves were cleaned out with an old piston ring. Top and bottom mating surfaces were also cleaned with the wire wheel. Bores were ball honed and cleaned up very well with the exception of some rust pitting in one of the bores that I will be unable to remove. I have declared it "good enough" for reassembly so next will be re-ringing the pistons and getting the bottom end done. Heads are back from the machine shop reassembled with upgraded snap retainer valve seals and comp springs and I will upload photos tomorrow when I take some.

Sl1me fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 30, 2016

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

I dinged my crank rod journal. So pissed at myself right now. I have a friend helping me try the old mechanics trick of a crocus cloth polish in order to remove any raised material wish me luck.

Sl1me fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 8, 2017

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Why have one half broken classic when you could have two?

One evening on my regularly scheduled Craigslist trolling I happened across something marvelous. The title simply said "1968 Mercury Montego Wagon Big Block". Looking at the pictures within revealed something almost the exact inverse of my fury. It had a brand new transmission and recently warmed over 429 big block (not an option in this year it has a 71 BB from some other ford product) but the exterior paint and little things like bushings needed attention. Since these things are all pretty much good on the fury I thought this might be an interesting addition to the collection. Even better, the seller actually preferred to do a straight up trade for "trucks diesels jeeps atvs etc". Hmm.....I have a diesel truck.

Now don't get me wrong I loved that F350. Sure it was slow and cumbersome but it ran so well and was a blast to drive with its ZF 5 speed and wide dually rear. The issue is that in the year I have owned it I have used it exactly twice for truck/hauling activities and the rest of the time it pretty much just sits on the side of the garage. I would occasionally pop out to the store in it just to knock out the cobwebs but other than that it just wasn't comfortable or nice to drive all the time.

After several weeks of going back and forth with the seller and failed attempts to meet in the middle, I decided just to tell the seller "yeah ill drive this truck the 180 miles to you in the middle of nowhere PA". See, the seller had errantly listed the vehicle as being near Richmond, whereas it was located in Downingtown which is up near West Chester. Nonetheless the truck made the 3 hour drive with no issues or complaints whatsoever. The seller and his dad were both awesome to talk to. They had many ford projects and a need for a truck since their primary tow vehicle was on its last legs. I could tell the dad who had originally bought it was really upset to let it go so I promised him I would take good care of the car and send some pictures if I ever get it painted.

A huge shoutout to AI member alternate.ego and his brother (of ~*~*~*OF VISE AND MEN*~*~*~ fame) who helped me get this massive hunk of steel home all the way from PA

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That thing is dope and so drat long. Excellent choice, wonderful taste in cars.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wow. Awesome man! That is cool!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah dude, you have very good taste, and I'm interested in seeing what you've got up your sleeve for this fleet.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Raluek posted:

Yeah dude, you have very good taste, and I'm interested in seeing what you've got up your sleeve for this fleet.

Hint: "Tunnel Ram"

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sl1me posted:

Hint: "Tunnel Ram"

:getin:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Sorry I couldn't make it up to help out this weekend man. That wagon looks great, even better condition than I thought from the first pics I saw.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Neat! Hope you said hi to Tim & Bro for me.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Adiabatic posted:

Neat! Hope you said hi to Tim & Bro for me.

not an empty quote

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Yeah, it was good to meet you, everyone else was missed! That is a super cool car in person, I wish I could have gone with you guys.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Fury engine updates: ~~~WARNING PHOTO DUMP~~~

I have in fact been working on the fury engine over the last 6 weeks or so but not as many photos were taken and we were way to stressed about the nicked crank to document everything. We polished out the nicks with 320 and then 800 crocus cloth and then applied a final shine with a brown paper bag. Bottom end and heads went on in short order after that. It took us almost a whole day to get the oil pan cleaned up and on the engine, the old pan that came off the car was caked in many layers of oil sludge and dirt. Inside the pan there was a half inch buildup of goopy sludge with a perfect indentation of where the pickup had been. I suppose thats where my low oil pressure condition came from.

After the pan and heads went on the engine was masked for paint using the old valve covers to protect from overspray. I opted to paint the engine purple as it was a running joke from one of my friends and I thought it would go well with the yellow car. I am fairly pleased with the shade. Lastly when we were putting the brand new mopar performance valve covers on they would not clear the weiand aluminum intake which meant that I had to grind on brand new decently expensive blingware that I had just taken out of the box (ouch)

Sl1me fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 26, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That last picture... perfect. I hope it all works out, the grinding looks minimal, and the crank should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That's going to look so good sitting in the engine bay. Nice work dude.

• Locked thread