Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

After lurking for some time and enjoying the comradeship of may AI members both in IRC and in person, here is a bad thread about bad choices. About a year ago I decided to buy a house, even better a house in a semi-rural area with no HOA and plenty of space to dump rusting semi-mobile poor life decisions. Hopefully updating this accounting of my projects will motivate me as right now I have less desire to do productive things on my vehicles than Eeyore has to write poetry.

The only vehicle to come with my to the house last year was my daily a 2004 E320. This vehicle is boring in every way but is extremely comfortable and gets me around in a quiet cloud of Northern Virginian smug and efficiency. Next to enter the fold was my 1967 Plymouth Fury III which has affectionately been named "The Magic School Bus" due to its massive size and yellow 2 tone paint. I had long coveted just about any pre-1970s american car and now had the space to indefinitely dump one in whatever state of repair safe from rain and judging yuppie glares. This vehicle is the flagship of all my vehicles and the inspiration for this Bad Post title.

Next I decided that If I were to own a passable garage and fleet, that a truck would be required. I have long been a fan of diesel vehicles having owned a 1979 mercedes 300sd and a diesel truck was a must. Cummins trucks are loldumb expensive so my next best choice was a Ford. I happened upon a craiglist post and 2 days later was the proud owner of a 1987 F350 6.9 IDI dually (much to the joy of CSB). The truck had an amazing 3 page handwritten service history meticulously detailing the last 8 odd years of its life. Most exciting of all it had the all important single mass flywheel conversion along with the 5 speed zf manual swap (the 4 speed is dogshit). This vehicle is prominently parked next to my garage to pimp my fake redneck image to the townsfolk and gets driven only to pick up car or house parts/improvements most of the time.

The last addition to the family was purely impulsive. I happened across an ad for a 1200 dollar miata about an hour south. Pictures showed it as rough but serviceable. Miata prices here are around 1600 dollars generally even for rolling chassis so I couldn't resist. A week later it was sitting in my front driveway (I have 2) having been procured for 1000 dollars flat. I put 300 dollars worth of tires and brakes all around pads and rotors on and it has been my daily for the last 6 months even though the radiator fan doesnt work and it makes terrifying pinging noises at full throttle.

Here is a list of vehicles I have owned in the 8 years I have been driving in order of purchase date.

1. 1987 Nissan 300zx (GONE)
2. 1989 BMW 525i (GONE)
3. 1988 Toyota MR2 AW11 (GONE)
4. 1979 Mercedes 300sd Turbo (GONE)
5. 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback (GONE)
6. 2004 Mercedes E320
7. 2000 Suzuki SV650
8. 1967 Plymoth Fury III
9. 1987 Ford F350 (GONE)
10. 1993 Mazda Miata
11. 1968 Mercury Montego MX Wagon

I am adding photos below that I have of the Fury and the F350 (EDIT GONE) primarily and the others will follow once I have the time to take proper pictures.

Sl1me fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
gently caress YES. WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Can confirm Slime is a rad dude, with awesome cars, part of the AI Southeast Virginia crew, along with Adiabatic, Acidronin, myself, skylineboy03, and a few others I'm forgetting.

I can't believe you still haven't fixed the rad fan on the Miata dude, how the hell is that engine still living. It was pinging worse than any car I've ever ridden in last time I saw it.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Terrible Robot posted:

Can confirm Slime is a rad dude, with awesome cars, part of the AI Southeast Virginia crew, along with Adiabatic, Acidronin, myself, skylineboy03, and a few others I'm forgetting.

I can't believe you still haven't fixed the rad fan on the Miata dude, how the hell is that engine still living. It was pinging worse than any car I've ever ridden in last time I saw it.

Its the cheapest car I have ever purchased and it refused to die or even stop working temporarily.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
THE SLIMEST OF BAGS

Can also confirm this dude is rad and AI as gently caress. I mean just look at his car collection.

420 red threadlocker cam bolts errday

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I have been waiting so long for you to start posting about your junk it is like we have known each other for the better part of a year and you are like "hey dude I have all these awesome cars but I better never tell anyone about them."

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Plymouth is awesome, I'm really starting to come around on mopars. And is that truck a short-bed regular cab duallie?? That's awesome, too.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I've never seen a single cab 350 bricknose. Huh.

Thread is awesome already.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

I've never seen a single cab 350 bricknose. Huh.

Thread is awesome already.

Mine is also. His is a longbed too. the dually boxes make the bed look shorter.

E VVVV: No mine is a SRW. his is A dually.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 11, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

You know, I follow your thread and knew it was a dually, but wasn't thinking of it cause of the flatbed.

I've seen single cabs running around with flatbeds, or a rollback but not with the bed that I can recall. Now I'll be looking.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Holy balls batman. That fury is so clean and long and just perfect in every way. Old Shmopar is the best shmopar. I have a few customers who bring there old mopar to me and its always a pleasure to work on. You have an amazing collection and one of the few yellow cars i would honestly own and drive.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

clam ache posted:

Holy balls batman. That fury is so clean and long and just perfect in every way. Old Shmopar is the best shmopar. I have a few customers who bring there old mopar to me and its always a pleasure to work on. You have an amazing collection and one of the few yellow cars i would honestly own and drive.

Thanks! The problem with mopars is that even a rusted out one with no engine often goes for more than 4 or 5k these days. The only sane prices left are in the C bodies and I think the fury is really the only c body (and only the coupe) looks aggressive enough to justify purchase. The car is disgustingly clean underneath its like it was never driven in salt. The body has a few dings and a tiny bit of repaired rot around the rear window. The only real rust problem is/was in the trunk. It has only worn through in one little spot and I have liberally sprayed it with the VHT rust converter for the time being.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

cursedshitbox posted:

Mine is also. His is a longbed too. the dually boxes make the bed look shorter.

E VVVV: No mine is a SRW. his is A dually.

Yeah go look up what a dually short bed looks like. They look really dumb and disproportionate.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Sl1me posted:

Thanks! The problem with mopars is that even a rusted out one with no engine often goes for more than 4 or 5k these days. The only sane prices left are in the C bodies and I think the fury is really the only c body (and only the coupe) looks aggressive enough to justify purchase. The car is disgustingly clean underneath its like it was never driven in salt. The body has a few dings and a tiny bit of repaired rot around the rear window. The only real rust problem is/was in the trunk. It has only worn through in one little spot and I have liberally sprayed it with the VHT rust converter for the time being.

So i once bought a c body mirror for like 3$ in an iowa thrift store. its the passenger side. If you need one for this beauty please let me know and i will send it. I have been trying to figure out a good use. but its for a 70's schmopar c body. same style as yours and everything

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

clam ache posted:

So i once bought a c body mirror for like 3$ in an iowa thrift store. its the passenger side. If you need one for this beauty please let me know and i will send it. I have been trying to figure out a good use. but its for a 70's schmopar c body. same style as yours and everything

Ok awesome. I know the chrome is fairly pitted on one of the mirrors but I do not recall which one it is. I will take a closeup of my existing mirror to confirm.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Sl1me posted:

Ok awesome. I know the chrome is fairly pitted on one of the mirrors but I do not recall which one it is. I will take a closeup of my existing mirror to confirm.

I will find mine and do the same.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

:gizz:

got dayum.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Glad to see you here posting the Fury. I know you aren't sold on the color, but I think it's loving awesome :krad: .

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

sharkytm posted:

Glad to see you here posting the Fury. I know you aren't sold on the color, but I think it's loving awesome :krad: .

I have embraced the color. And named the car accordingly.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Yes! Maybe I'll be inspired to post my car hoard, to motivate me to work on it in a thread someday too!

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I ride the bus.

(That Plymouth is loving sex.)

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

clam ache posted:

I will find mine and do the same.

Yes its my passenger mirror thats screwed up

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Well this weekend was supposed to be filled with quick fixes and it was not. I bought this second 318 on ebay to be a cheap source of parts or a drop in soulution due to the original engine having very low oil pressure. Everything looked good when I took the intake and cam out a few months ago but this weekend I decided to crack it open the main motivation for which was to replace the valve springs.

It turned out that every single valve seal had failed, even though it was clear the PO had upgraded the cam, installed cam bearings off center and a bunch of other junk. The pistons and valves were caked with baked on oil residue and it was apparent the valve guides had already been knurled once. Now I need to decide what to do with this pile of parts, likely I will pull the original engine and mix and match stuff to make once good working engine. Current plan is to send the heads out for light porting and valve guides after a thorough cleaning, I have yet to decide the fate of the blocks.

I was finally able to get around to wiring my compressor to the breaker panel and getting some extra fittings so at least I got that done. Apologies for the cell phone pictures, I had forgotten to charge my good camera.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Great progress was made on the Fury this weekend. Two of my miatabros came over to help with the engine removal since the tear down of the spare engine had not been so promising. It came out with little drama and was relatively painless. I was able to pull a head once we got it on the ground and discovered great news: I have #920 casting heads which are closed chamber and decently hard to find. That along with the thin HG I ordered should bring me back around to 8.5:1 or so compression as the production compression of the closed chamber engines was hilariously under-spec (around 7:1). Cyl bores were very very clean and bright and not sludged like the other block. The cam though was completely destroyed.

All in all a very good result and I will likely send the heads out for a mild port and polish and valve recondition and start in on rebuilding the bottom end myself in the next few weeks.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Wowza that cam does not look happy

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

Wowza that cam does not look happy

Yes It is almost certainly the culprit of my 3lb of oil pressure at idle symptoms. It must have gotten starved or improperly installed.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Sl1me posted:

Yes It is almost certainly the culprit of my 3lb of oil pressure at idle symptoms. It must have gotten starved or improperly installed.

From the looks of the crud it probably had an oil leak. The PO probably didnt know or care and just kept driving anyway. Or used a poo poo oil and topped off infrequently. I found the passenger side mirror at my parents. I was in a rush and forgot to get pictures. It is for the c body. It has a long cable attachment with like 3 wires that leads to a little chrome joystick looking piece. I will get pictures later today.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

I called around to a few machine shops and its going to be 800-1000 for head reconditioning and block mesurement/bore hone/crank polish. RIP wallet

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That Fury is super rad and yea that cam was like 5 minutes from wiping totally.

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010
I've seen this fury and it's exactly as glorious as the pictures depict; I have no love for "classic cars" and i would daily this awful chrylser motor company behemoth if given the opportunity. also sl1mes garage and cats are rad af. i thought cams were supposed to grind lobes like that. normal wear and tear imo

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Here are some pictures of that mirror. It has the little gasket and all.

Holy cow these photos make me look like i have ham fists. Also just noticed Arlo my kitten photo bombing.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Thanks for the pics. I will have to look at mine and see if it has the remote adjusters or not.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Your compressor wiring is making me twitch but everything else is awesome as hell and I'm sorry you got screwed on that 318.

If you want another 318, just a Magnum one, I just so happen to have a Magnum 360 that I was sold in 2011 that turned out to be a 318 when I checked the block casting numbers. gently caress you, CL seller. (I learned my lesson.) It's been sitting out in the weather with the intake theoretically covered for, oh, well, since 2012, but it's free. I don't know if you can even really do anything with it but you clearly need more 318ci boat anchors in your garage.

That mopar is loving beautiful, I expected schoolbus yellow though, not two-tone lemon cheesecake!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I don't think I'd actually looked at the compressor wiring pics...dude, next time I come out there I'm bringing some spare conduit/connectors and wire from work and we gon' make that look gooooood.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

kastein posted:

Your compressor wiring is making me twitch but everything else is awesome as hell and I'm sorry you got screwed on that 318.

If you want another 318, just a Magnum one, I just so happen to have a Magnum 360 that I was sold in 2011 that turned out to be a 318 when I checked the block casting numbers. gently caress you, CL seller. (I learned my lesson.) It's been sitting out in the weather with the intake theoretically covered for, oh, well, since 2012, but it's free. I don't know if you can even really do anything with it but you clearly need more 318ci boat anchors in your garage.

That mopar is loving beautiful, I expected schoolbus yellow though, not two-tone lemon cheesecake!

Actually thank you much for the offer but good news! I have checked the block over thoroughly and I think this actually WAS well worth the coin. Its been bored over 030 and has literally brand new pistons in it. When we pulled the rod caps they didn't have a scratch on them only minor burns. The mains were scratched up on the ends but the bore still has xhatch from the first bore job. Crank is still fairly polished with no nicks or wear marks. Gonna rering and bearing that bitch and throw it back together. The carbon caking turned out to be cosmetic only and was likely due to catastrophic valve seal failure a short time after the guy half assed the first rebuild . Pictures to follow soon as soon as they are uploaded.

Sl1me fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 7, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sl1me posted:

Actually thank you much for the offer but good news! I have checked the block over thoroughly and I think this actually WAS well worth the coin. Its been bored over 030 and has literally brand new pistons in it. When we pulled the rod caps they didn't have a scratch on them only minor burns. The mains were scratched up on the ends but the bore still has xhatch from the first bore job. Crank is still fairly polished with no nicks or wear marks. Gonna rering and bearing that bitch and throw it back together. The carbon caking turned out to be cosmetic only and was likely due to catastrophic valve seal failure a short time after the guy half assed the first rebuild . Pictures to follow soon as soon as they are uploaded.

I saw this in the other place but wanted to convey my excitement here instead. Awesome!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

How do the journals look?

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

They are pretty clean. Its hard to say if they have been polished before or not but they are bright with no discernible scratching or wear that catches the fingernail. Some slight discoloration maybe between the 2 contact areas for the bearing shells but I think I am ok to reassemble with just a good wipe down and new bearings.

Sl1me
Dec 14, 2014

Heads are at the machine shop. Just getting a 3 angle valve job and the valve guides cut for locking seals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It appears you are Doing It Right.

Have you checked the timing on the miata? Might just have been advanced for that 2 hp gain that some miata ricers do but then require you running higher octane.

• Locked thread