Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I'm actually thinking about suing Seth Rogan and Co. because I came up with this exact idea for a film about 10 years ago and posted about it in GBS (on my other forums account).

Edit: Unfortunately, money is a little tight right now, so I can't afford an archives account to search for the post at issue. But I should be able to post-Christmas money.

Edit 2:

Actually, it would be a copyright, not a patent (I took the bar exam to become an attorney this past July, so I know what I'm talking about).

You should definitely sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Hancock
It was one of those films that started out decent but got bad so gradually that it wasn't until the end I realised it was bad

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
i watched the island on hbo when it was relatively new and didnt know anything about it or michael bay and for the first 30 minutes i was like yeah how nice of them to do a logans run / thx 1138 like thing on a modern blockbuster budget and then everything started exploding and didnt stop for most of them movie with the exception of a bit of dumbass exposition. so my interting concept is remaking schlocky classic scifi in a michael bay style

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun
I was really excited for Sunshine, and I still rewatch it every now and again and enjoy it, but the naked burnt-up religious dude is just so random and unwarranted after such a well done 2/3 of a movie that it really pulls me out of it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Star Wars VII

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

I was really excited for Sunshine, and I still rewatch it every now and again and enjoy it, but the naked burnt-up religious dude is just so random and unwarranted after such a well done 2/3 of a movie that it really pulls me out of it.

Thats the entire point of the movie dude.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dang. This movie written to hit me with a sucker punch twist, did in fact include a twist. Really wish someone would take the concept of making a boring movie and giving it a twist and remove the twist part

Ecstatic Elastic
Oct 30, 2008

She's just spun
And imo it was an interesting concept, bad execution.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Yeah just because the twist was intentional doesn't mean it was a very good twist. Still a great movie overall but that whole part is pretty meh.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Larry Parrish posted:

Thats the entire point of the movie dude.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I need somebody to explain why it was the point.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

bitterandtwisted posted:

Hancock
It was one of those films that started out decent but got bad so gradually that it wasn't until the end I realised it was bad

I think it got bad instantly when they just gave up on the whole superhero that is terrible rehabilitation plot and went with the ancient immortal lover plot when the guy that was teaching Hancock how to not be a giant rear end in a top hat was sidelined for his ancient egyptian wife or whatever. Just ignore how an ancient African couple includes Charlize Theron.

At least he got an eagle to gently caress or something at the end of it, I don't remember how it ended.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Ecstatic Elastic posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow had a similar moment towards the end. It just felt really out of place after a slow-burning love letter to 70s high-concept sci-fi.

LGD posted:

I actually like Southland Tales more than anyone else I know, but I'm a pretty big proponent of the notion that you should judge a film by what it actually contains- if you need a tie in comic or 40 minutes of cut footage for it to make sense it was still a failure in its released form.

I can't exactly disagree. The comic adds a lot more coherency to the film (which probably should've been there to begin with), and the extra footage would make it more of a Director's Cut than anything in my mind (if it were easily available, which afaik, it's not).

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Beyond the Black Rainbow had a similar moment towards the end. It just felt really out of place after a slow-burning love letter to 70s high-concept sci-fi.

I liked it there because it only happened after they were both out of the compound so it felt like a natural place for the style to change.

Agreed on Sunshine though.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I think it got bad instantly when they just gave up on the whole superhero that is terrible rehabilitation plot and went with the ancient immortal lover plot when the guy that was teaching Hancock how to not be a giant rear end in a top hat was sidelined for his ancient egyptian wife or whatever. Just ignore how an ancient African couple includes Charlize Theron.

At least he got an eagle to gently caress or something at the end of it, I don't remember how it ended.

The original script was a lot different and didn't have any of the weird immortal ancient lover poo poo
http://pdfscripts.weebly.com/uploads/9/1/6/8/916864/tonight_he_comes.pdf
but its also like a completely different movie too, its mostly about how hancock is lonely and depressed and it's like a small explosion when he ejaculates so he can never finish during meaningless sex with hot women.
"breasts so full they could pop a boner in your dead uncle"

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Pearl Harbor. Amazing production value, terrible script.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Inception. Neat concept, invading someone's dreams in layers? Let's do nothing outrageous with it (except for one scene) and make it a heist movie.

More recently, As Above So Below. A good concept that was so painfully hindered by budget and imagination.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Dune series. Itr's never really been given the full HBO-level treatment such a crazy universe so richly deserves.

Lynch had some pretty good costume and set design though, and the SyFy/Space TV movies were horribly hamstrung in their budgets.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I need somebody to explain why it was the point.

It was written to fool you into thinking it was an exploration movie but actually it's a slasher film the whole time

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Larry Parrish posted:

It was written to fool you into thinking it was an exploration movie but actually it's a slasher film the whole time

If that's the case, I guess where they botched it was making the exploration part way more interesting than the horror part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

NarkyBark posted:

Inception. Neat concept, invading someone's dreams in layers? Let's do nothing outrageous with it (except for one scene) and make it a heist movie.

More recently, As Above So Below. A good concept that was so painfully hindered by budget and imagination.

As Above so Below. It was genuinely creepy until it started having really lovely effects. They had to backtrack through that stone creature room so by the third time through they were just sprinting through and shoving them over comically.

• Locked thread