Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So I previewed "Incarnate," the WWE Films theatrical release starring Aaron Eckhart. It's about a crippled guy who performs exorcisms by tapping into the matrix your mind and helping you purge the demon yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BDwnp4DQK8

I went into this film with pretty low expectations; honestly all I wanted was some nifty set pieces inside a corrupted person's mind. Movie started off interesting enough, but I shouldn't have to tell you that ultimately it dropped the ball. The whole movie felt like they forgot what they wanted to do for everything after the first twenty minutes. Neither Aaron Eckhart nor his stubble could help make this movie average.

Anywho, ever seen a film like this? The initial concept seems nifty, only to fall apart in short order after the movie gets going? Let's talk about em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

First for Sausage Party.

I thought an R-rated CGI comedy movie sounded like a unique and pretty great concept.

It was an hour and a half of bun-in-wiener jokes.

:eng99:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Triumph of the Will looks good on paper but it's kind of snooze-fest. We get it, Hitler can organize a good parade.

Historical Wizards
Jul 3, 2016

The Revenant
I got exactly what I heard I was going to get, a lackluster lead dragging down an otherwise great film.
Also the ending was pretty terrible

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
prometheus

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
hell, most recent sci-fi blockbusters are this way imo.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

symbolic posted:

First for Sausage Party.

I thought an R-rated CGI comedy movie sounded like a unique and pretty great concept.

I actually didn't mind the majority of sausage party. It just felt like they didn't know how to end it, like they got really high and decided to make the movie before finishing the script, so it ends with a food orgy and then all the characters finding out who their voice actors are.

Having people deal with sentient food and the food being murderous was kinda funny at least.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

owl milk posted:

hell, most recent sci-fi blockbusters are this way imo.

:agreed:

I haven't minded the movies about just...space stuff though. Yeah, your mileage may vary with Gravity, Interstellar, and The Martian, but it's just nice to see NASA in films again.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Skyline was a neat idea, even if it was essentially Cloverfield without the shakeycam. Though in this case, I'm not sure if it was the concept that was lacking or the cast, since I gave up caring about them about half an hour in and just wanted to see more of the stealth bomber.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Wasn't Skyline just one of those films rushed out to potentially steal an audience from Battle for LA? The studio that made it was trying to prove they could rush out movies just as good in half the time, or something stupid like that.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
The OP.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The guys behind Skyline were also the guys who did the special effects for Battle for LA. They were accused of stealing the idea for the film and doing their own spin on it, which isn't a huge crime in and of itself. What is more questionable, however, is the accusation that, rather than doing Skyline on the side, they actively worked on it while they were supposed to be doing the effects for Battle. No idea if anything came of the accusations, but from what I've read, the timeline of events does seems to hold up.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I actually didn't mind the majority of sausage party. It just felt like they didn't know how to end it, like they got really high and decided to make the movie before finishing the script, so it ends with a food orgy and then all the characters finding out who their voice actors are.

Having people deal with sentient food and the food being murderous was kinda funny at least.
I kinda liked how they ended with that fourth-wall break, but the orgy was just pure shock value that Rogen probably thought of with more drugs in his system than Elvis had in him on the shitter. I went with my dad because he was also genuinely curious. He walked out during the orgy, and I found him pacing in the lobby swearing that it was the worst movie he's ever seen.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

symbolic posted:

I kinda liked how they ended with that fourth-wall break, but the orgy was just pure shock value that Rogen probably thought of with more drugs in his system than Elvis had in him on the shitter. I went with my dad because he was also genuinely curious. He walked out during the orgy, and I found him pacing in the lobby swearing that it was the worst movie he's ever seen.

Yeah, the whole dimensional shift between sentient food / human / movies / real world is an interesting idea at least. Something different.

The food orgy was just kinda embarrassing.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Yeah, the whole dimensional shift between sentient food / human / movies / real world is an interesting idea at least. Something different.

The food orgy was just kinda embarrassing.
It should be a rite of passage for every 17 year old on their birthday to watch that scene so they know from an early age the world is an unforgiving place.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

What about Southland Tales?

Is it poor execution of an interesting concept, or good execution of a bunch of half-baked nonsense?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The problem with Southland Tales is that there's a tie-in prequel comic that explains a fair bit that's hard to track down these days (I think it was supposed to be included with the bluray release? I just have the DVD, so I can't say for sure). That, and the movie was cut by I think about 20-30 minutes for release. If you can get all that stuff, then it's more enjoyable, but I can't blame you for not wanting to get the True Southland Tales Experience.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ragg posted:

The OP.

:wth::wth::wth:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
South land Tales is good as it is.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The problem with Southland Tales is that there's a tie-in prequel comic that explains a fair bit that's hard to track down these days (I think it was supposed to be included with the bluray release? I just have the DVD, so I can't say for sure). That, and the movie was cut by I think about 20-30 minutes for release. If you can get all that stuff, then it's more enjoyable, but I can't blame you for not wanting to get the True Southland Tales Experience.

I actually like Southland Tales more than anyone else I know, but I'm a pretty big proponent of the notion that you should judge a film by what it actually contains- if you need a tie in comic or 40 minutes of cut footage for it to make sense it was still a failure in its released form.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

symbolic posted:

First for Sausage Party.

I'm actually thinking about suing Seth Rogan and Co. because I came up with this exact idea for a film about 10 years ago and posted about it in GBS (on my other forums account).

Edit: Unfortunately, money is a little tight right now, so I can't afford an archives account to search for the post at issue. But I should be able to post-Christmas money.

Edit 2:

Chwoka posted:

i, too, patent my posts

Actually, it would be a copyright, not a patent (I took the bar exam to become an attorney this past July, so I know what I'm talking about).

Kleen_TheRacistDog fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 2, 2016

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I'm actually thinking about suing Seth Rogan and Co. because I came up with this exact idea for a film about 10 years ago and posted about it in GBS (on my other forums account).

Edit: Unfortunately, money is a little tight right now, so I can't afford an archives account to search for the post at issue. But I should be able to post-Christmas money.

i, too, patent my posts

edit: pending. don't quote this, that's infringement

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

God I can't remember the name but it's a movie on Netflix that got Kickstarted and its whole selling point was "we got someone who did the practical special effects on The Thing to do this movie". It ended up kinda just being The Thing On A Boat and it just...was not engaging. The effects looked cool but the plot and acting was just resoundingly meh.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Also in that same vein, a lot of Robert Rodriguez's more recent films. Interesting concepts but then not even fun in a goofy B-movie way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I guess it can apply to tons of movies like it but the most recent example of it I saw is The Boy. I was 100% into the first 3/4s of it where it was this push and pull between 'is she insane, is it a ghost, is this all just her slowly unravelling due to stress and abuse' and then it becomes a generic masked slasher movie at the end.

It's not terrible, I still enjoyed it, but boy do I wish they just finished with their cool idea. Even if they answer the question with 'no it's a real ghost' or whatever that's fine, but introducing a whole new 'ACTUALLY IT'S NONE OF THOSE, IT WAS A CRAZY GUY IN THE WALLS ALL ALONG' at the end felt like it was an attempt to be needlessly 'twisty'. It was like there was a first draft that was just a straight psychological or ghosty horror story where most of the fear is in the main character's actions and the people around her, and then someone said 'but wait, there's no big twist, we gotta have a twist to make it exciting'.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I guess it can apply to tons of movies like it but the most recent example of it I saw is The Boy. I was 100% into the first 3/4s of it where it was this push and pull between 'is she insane, is it a ghost, is this all just her slowly unravelling due to stress and abuse' and then it becomes a generic masked slasher movie at the end.

It's not terrible, I still enjoyed it, but boy do I wish they just finished with their cool idea. Even if they answer the question with 'no it's a real ghost' or whatever that's fine, but introducing a whole new 'ACTUALLY IT'S NONE OF THOSE, IT WAS A CRAZY GUY IN THE WALLS ALL ALONG' at the end felt like it was an attempt to be needlessly 'twisty'. It was like there was a first draft that was just a straight psychological or ghosty horror story where most of the fear is in the main character's actions and the people around her, and then someone said 'but wait, there's no big twist, we gotta have a twist to make it exciting'.

I actually thought that was an effective and cool twist, which would've been even more cooler and effective if it hadn't been done like a year earlier in the New Zealand flick Housebound

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Making a movie about Blake Lively in a bikini is a solid idea, but The Shallows didn't really live up to the premise.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I actually thought that was an effective and cool twist, which would've been even more cooler and effective if it hadn't been done like a year earlier in the New Zealand flick Housebound

I'm not gonna lie, maybe that's what soured me on it more than anything. Like I said I liked The Boy perfectly fine, but yea I like that movie a lot better so maybe I just had a knee jerk 'well I've seen this better' reaction.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Van Helsing

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude

Shinjobi posted:

So I previewed "Incarnate," the WWE Films theatrical release starring Aaron Eckhart. It's about a crippled guy who performs exorcisms by tapping into the matrix your mind and helping you purge the demon yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BDwnp4DQK8

I went into this film with pretty low expectations; honestly all I wanted was some nifty set pieces inside a corrupted person's mind. Movie started off interesting enough, but I shouldn't have to tell you that ultimately it dropped the ball. The whole movie felt like they forgot what they wanted to do for everything after the first twenty minutes. Neither Aaron Eckhart nor his stubble could help make this movie average.

Anywho, ever seen a film like this? The initial concept seems nifty, only to fall apart in short order after the movie gets going? Let's talk about em.

this seems like a worse version of the cell

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Daybreakers. The concept is really cool: vampires basically win. They comprise most of society, buildings are built underground for them, cars have day driving modes that shield all of the windows. Vampires don't lurk during the day but have jobs as scientists, cops, there's a whole vampire army with special body armor to go out during the day, you get the idea. Humans are a hidden minority that run whenever they can and are hunted by the state. Liberal vampires are kinda uncomfortable with this, but they gotta have blood to survive/stop from degenerating into weird monster creatures. It's an interesting concept that could have gone in a couple of cool directions.

But they loving chose to make some ham-handed "PEAK OIL" metaphor by having blood run out. Which could still have gone in an interesting direction, the vampire poor being barely able to afford blood etc. But they just showed the vampires sucking the humans dry, which is stupid. People are a renewable resource. We know how to make more of them. You could have even had some disturbing imagery of humans in factory farm conditions. Humans that allowed to live relatively well in exchange for having blood extracted periodically as a gourmet organic product.

Plus there was a whole dumb subplot about finding a cure for vampirism, which is something as stupid as feeding on another vampire turning you back human or some other dumb poo poo.

That movie could have been so good.

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

symbolic posted:

SOLD!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Boyhood

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
trancers 5: sudden deth

wasnt enough trancers, but lots of deth

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I really liked the orgy in Sausage Party

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Chwoka posted:

i, too, patent my posts

edit: pending. don't quote this, that's infringement

If Adam Sandler ever announces a movie like the ones I posted in the goldmined Adam Sandler movie thread, you'd better believe I'll sue. He's already got tons of money from bullshit movie ideas.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ultraviolet

Made by the guy that did Equilibrium, and that was pretty good, and it starred Mila Jovovich, and I loved Fifth Element and the Resident Evil movies were alright, and this movie promised to have this need cinematic comic book feel, and, well, I like comic books.

Everything just turns out bad. It's boring. So boring. I wish I could even say it was all style over substance, but there's no real style. It's just so awful.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

bummer dude posted:

this seems like a worse version of the cell

W-what

:eyepop:

How the gently caress did I forget about the Cell?????

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

super sweet best pal posted:

If Adam Sandler ever announces a movie like the ones I posted in the goldmined Adam Sandler movie thread, you'd better believe I'll sue. He's already got tons of money from bullshit movie ideas.

yeah well i'll see you in court in 3 years, bub! whoo boy when my copyright is confirmed there is gonna be hell to pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

W-what

:eyepop:

How the gently caress did I forget about the Cell?????

I saw some post about it the other day and this was my exact reaction too. I got stoned and watched it the other night, it's still fuckin' awesome.

• Locked thread