Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

VideoGames posted:

My hope for the new trilogy is that Finn is your neutral balancing point and Kylo swings to the light, while Rey swings to the dark side. It would be neat to see each one struggling to deal with the opposite.

Rey is supposed to be good but her anger near the end is the temptation of the dark, whereas Kylo is supposed to be good but he struggled with the light during the meeting with his father.

I'd like the second film to be both swinging to their 'wrong' side and the third is Kylo and Finn saving Rey from Snoke. I think hat would be fun and neat.
I honestly don't think Kylo will swing. The scene where he killed his father was his last chance and the fact that he did what he did sealed his fate. Killing Han Solo as something purposefully put into a Star Wars movie by the director is too big of a deal and basically means 'there's no turning back from this' except for maybe sacrificing himself for the good cause at the very end like Vader did.

I could see Rey flirting with the dark side like Luke though. It rhymes etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

I honestly don't think Kylo will swing. The scene where he killed his father was his last chance and the fact that he did what he did sealed his fate. Killing Han Solo as something purposefully put into a Star Wars movie by the director is too big of a deal and basically means 'there's no turning back from this' except for maybe sacrificing himself for the good cause at the very end like Vader did.

I could see Rey flirting with the dark side like Luke though. It rhymes etc.

That is true. I had maybe hoped he would realise the enormity of what he had done and it would become a sort of redemption arc with the knowledge that one cannot redeem oneself from patricide. This is why I'm not a script writer!!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

That is true. I had maybe hoped he would realise the enormity of what he had done and it would become a sort of redemption arc with the knowledge that one cannot redeem oneself from patricide. This is why I'm not a script writer!!

It's actually why Star Wars is kind of shallow and doesn't allow for very complex characters. it's such a codified "good versus evil" struggle, characters are never going swing very far. We get told "Anakin used to be good and turned to the dark side" and possible "Kylo used to be good, and turned to the dark side" and Vader gets like an ounce of redemption for saving Luke, but he's still a genocidal monster.

They're never going to show a good character actually turning evil, or admitting that an "evil" human can ever be forgiven. It's just so far out of the scope of Disney and Star Wars both.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's true that Star Wars is very binary but I think that from the perspective of the way the story was told by the original trilogy Vader was in fact forgiven. I mean, he pretty much received a honorary funeral and his spirit stood in a line-up of good guys while his son was smiling at him which is the equivalent of going to heaven and not just "an ounce of redemption" so it's really your reinterpretation of the facts and not how the story was presented.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Snak posted:

They're never going to show a good character actually turning evil, or admitting that an "evil" human can ever be forgiven. It's just so far out of the scope of Disney and Star Wars both.

I didn't quite mean Kylo could never be redeemed due to morals, just that he wouldn't allow himself to be. It'd be really interesting to see a character do something pretty bad and then do all the right things after that and it doesn't get wrapped up in a whole "now you are good again" bow.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Interstellar was weird. It came from the I loving Love Science crowd but felt somehow like a superstitious, religious movie about a caring divine entity making everything right in the end.

The father had two children as I remember, one son who was independent from his dad and realistic about the disaster around them and tried to forge some kind of life in those conditions, and one girl who was just a dreamer, dedicated to and idealizing her father and following in his footsteps and the movie predictably vindicated the daughter while condemning the choices of the son.

Then the black hole turned out to contain some kind of magical box that will save mankind and prevents us from having to live with our choices, as though they tried to make a bizarro version of Hellraiser. I prefer it when black holes in movies are represented as disturbing and uncaringly evil like space itself, like in Event Horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
People often criticize Kylo for not being highly competent but look at Vader in the first film.

All he did was capture a lone tiny ship with minimum resistance with his huge capital ship, killed some poor old man who's waaaay past his prime, was seen as a complete joke by the Empire's high command (that guy was insulting the poo poo out of Vader and his religion with no hint of fear) was even bullied about by Tarkin and then finally got his rear end kicked by Luke at the end of the film and had his most valued asset blown the gently caress up. Vader wasn't any better than Kylo here, hell he wasn't even the main bad guy, Tarkin was.

It was the second film that made him badass, scary and effective, it's obvious Kylo's getting the same buff.

• Locked thread