Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Have y'all ever noticed that some movies entirely fail at making their characters appear human? At making them connect with one another in a way that appears genuine at all? It's a pretty common thing with the directors I listed - "well we have the cool plot twists, interesting characters, insane set pieces, let's....have them interact with one another like a child smashing together barbie and ken dolls." I'm always taken out of these sorts of movies, because the dialogue comes off as like, a series of pithy quips instead of humans speaking with one another. Kirk and Spock in new star trek is one example - does anyone buy the growing relationship between them? At any point does it seem like actual rivals becoming friends and working together? It's like the director got to the part where the characters have to care about each other, hit "autogenerate" and walked away.

The opposite of this is Wes Anderson. His movies are weird, his characters are often stilted and offputting, and his sets are more like dioramas for how static and "filmy" they are, but the movies are full of heart and make you feel joy at the very real connections that build over the course of his movies. To me, this makes for a much better experience - it turns out the human connection and "realness" is a lot more important to me than any of the (enjoyably!) inane stuff that christopher nolan manages to shove onto the screen.

Use this thread to discuss this phenomenon, and most importantly, recommend me movies that have characters who act like real humans with real human concerns towards one another.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

dogs don't have souls either

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The movie you are looking for op is Belgica. Its characters are completely lifelike

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

i think jj abrams wasn't paying attention to the good seasons of fringe or something because it turns out that actually having + telling a story is way way better than his "mystery box"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I would further say that JJ Abrams has no soul.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Skoll posted:

I disagree - I suspect that he has a soul, and it's a drat shame that for all the money and resources he gets to use on his projects, he is unable to convey even a fraction of it onto the screen and thus our hearts.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Skoll posted:

Also, like a dog, he can't look up. That's why all the lights in his movies are mounted at eye level.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also, like a dog, he can't look up. That's why all the lights in his movies are mounted at eye level.

has anyone considered that jj abrams is actually a dog. if so i think it makes his career a lot more impressive

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
JJ Abrams is really Clifford the Dog in a almost convincing man suit.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think The Prestige is pretty good but I can't really argue with your post at all.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

FishBulb posted:

I think The Prestige is pretty good but I can't really argue with your post at all.
I'm not even saying I don't like the movies. The prestige was very indulgent and fun, watching magicians gently caress with one another is enjoyable even without "soul". I'm not some sort of trend-hater, I enjoyed prestige and dark knight and memento myself, I'm just a little tired of it. I think nolan is a little better than abrams to me but it's definitely the same thing missing for both of them.

You can see where the actors are explicitly given emotions to act upon, they do it, like christian bale realizing he'd never see his daughter again, but any given piece dialogue may as well be between two strangers. There's no sense of how people would actually talk to a lifelong friend, a lover, or a rival anywhere in there - the scenes without strong emotions have no emotions.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's a myth, no church council has ever denied that Nolan and Abrams movies have souls.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
remember Lost? man that poo poo sucked

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Abrams has made an art out of making poorly written crap seem good at first glance.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The first JJTrek movie is probably the best Star Trek movie besides Wrath of Khan

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

The first JJTrek movie is probably the best Star Trek movie besides Wrath of Khan

It's the only one I've seen..........besides Nemesis for some reason. Still gotta watch the old ones. That doesn't sound like that high a bar to me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

Star Trek 4. :colbert:

First Contact was pretty fun in spots. Not consistently great but it had a lot of moments.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

I won't lie, 2009 Trek was a good movie.. then Into Darkness came out.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Skoll posted:

I won't lie, 2009 Trek was a good movie.. then Into Darkness came out.

Yeah, Into Darkness is insanely boring. I don't think it makes 2009 worse, though

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't, but Into Darkness will mire the entire JJ Trekverse for me even though 2009 and Beyond were good movies.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think they have a couple good movies each. Id like to karate chop JJ Abrams square in the middle of his face, though.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
How much input did Abrams have in The Force Awakens? because that movie sucked. The actors and actresses seemed to have no chemistry with each other. The only reason it wasn't as bad as Ep. II and III was because Ep. VII didn't have any awkward smooching scenes that the prequels had.

What's with another loving planet destroyer? God drat, try something different. The Empire had just lost Palpatine and Vader and the deathstar for a second time. How could an offshoot group conjur up something so massively deadly without it being noticed by anyone? Also it being destroyed very similarly like in a ANH was also very unoriginal.

I'm really really glad Abrams only did the one movie instead of all three.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

I disagree. It's not even the best of the new Trek movies.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

If abrams stuff has no soul, and nolans stuff has no soul, does westworld have a double no soul?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

If abrams stuff has no soul, and nolans stuff has no soul, does westworld have a double no soul?
I haven't watched it yet but I'll let you know!

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

ijii posted:

How much input did Abrams have in The Force Awakens? because that movie sucked. The actors and actresses seemed to have no chemistry with each other. The only reason it wasn't as bad as Ep. II and III was because Ep. VII didn't have any awkward smooching scenes that the prequels had.

What's with another loving planet destroyer? God drat, try something different. The Empire had just lost Palpatine and Vader and the deathstar for a second time. How could an offshoot group conjur up something so massively deadly without it being noticed by anyone? Also it being destroyed very similarly like in a ANH was also very unoriginal.

I'm really really glad Abrams only did the one movie instead of all three.

I was annoyed that the rebel pilot dude felt like a really superficial hero that we were supposed to be impressed by and hadn't earned it at all.

Then it looked like he died and I thought the director was trying to show how everyone is vulnerable and the new stormtrooper guy had to try to live up to a completely ridiculous ideal. I was interested.

But nope, not dead. Just an empty cool pilot hero guy.

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

if you actually thought the pilot guy actually died on the first go-around you're a sucker and i envy you

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Terror Sweat posted:

I don't agree with the first two things, but Westworld is indeed doubly soulless.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Does anyone else feel like Force Awakens' climactic starfighter battle... wasn't? They had the Episode 4 style intro, then barely anything happened with them. At least, they didn't do much that I remember. Also most of the E4 guys died in their attempted bombing runs while most of the E7 jerks are probably going to stick around as merchandisable characters.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
it was a soulless, borrowed movie without any heart of its own.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Does anyone else feel like Force Awakens' climactic starfighter battle... wasn't?

It was only there so that they could say the movie had a star war in it. It should have just been the duel on the planet.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

T.C. posted:

I was annoyed that the rebel pilot dude felt like a really superficial hero that we were supposed to be impressed by and hadn't earned it at all.

Then it looked like he died and I thought the director was trying to show how everyone is vulnerable and the new stormtrooper guy had to try to live up to a completely ridiculous ideal. I was interested.

But nope, not dead. Just an empty cool pilot hero guy.

From interviews I read when Force Awakens released, the rebel pilot dude Poe was supposed to die for real, but Abrams liked the actor so much that he reworked the script to keep him alive and bring him back later in the film.

That being said, I think Super 8 is a J.J. Abrams film with soul, and a great love letter to Spielberg. The kids all goof around with each other realistically, and when characters fail to connect (e.g. the police officer father and his son), it's done very intentionally to reflect their profound social isolation and grief following the mother's death.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think Abrams can do a movie with plenty of soul but he has no interest in 'pushing' against studios, so if they hand him a script with flat characters he's just gonna make a movie with flat characters. His moviemaking style is more about the emotion of the moment and not the richness of the characters creating the moment.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The opposite of this is Wes Anderson. His movies are weird, his characters are often stilted and offputting, and his sets are more like dioramas for how static and "filmy" they are, but the movies are full of heart and make you feel joy at the very real connections that build over the course of his movies. To me, this makes for a much better experience - it turns out the human connection and "realness" is a lot more important to me than any of the (enjoyably!) inane stuff that christopher nolan manages to shove onto the screen.

Use this thread to discuss this phenomenon, and most importantly, recommend me movies that have characters who act like real humans with real human concerns towards one another.

I've always thought Taika Waititi's movies were good at capturing that Wes Anderson feeling of strange and off-putting while simultaneously having real heart. Hunt for the Wilder People was a really good movie that benefited from having a cranky Sam Neill in it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Arc Light posted:

That being said, I think Super 8 is a J.J. Abrams film with soul, and a great love letter to Spielberg. The kids all goof around with each other realistically, and when characters fail to connect (e.g. the police officer father and his son), it's done very intentionally to reflect their profound social isolation and grief following the mother's death.

This is a good point, super 8 definitely hits notes the others don't. I think I ought to rewatch it paying attention to that specifically.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's a shame that the lesson DC learned from The Dark Knight was "let's make every single one of our movies from here on out just as joyless and unsmiling"

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I don't know why people get this wrong, but Into Darkness is clearly the best new-Trek movie. That first one was just a mess, and Beyond can take its Beastie Boys and go gently caress itself.

I mean, Into Darkness pretty much wins by default, even if it didn't have the best acting and characters, which it does.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The problem with TFA, besides JJ Abrams involvement, is it tried too hard to be A New Hope... Which given JJ Abrams involvement I guess was to be expected. He made a lovely low effort unfun rip off of Wrath of Khan so I guess Star Wars needed its turn. At least he didn't go for the Empire Strikes Back rehash.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Once again, Abrams didn't write the script to either of those films. He's not that kind of director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just because he didn't write them doesn't mean he had no influence over them. What are the odds that he directs two films that are complete rehashes of prior successful films in two different franchises, only a few years apart?

• Locked thread