Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
a lot of them are actually really good. Triumph of the Will is obviously the best and most well known example but i also particularly like Der Ewige Jude as another example of a film that is simultaneously propaganda and film-verité. :-]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
OP, if you like Nazi Propaganda you should check out 300.
Thank me later.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

a lot of them are actually really good. Triumph of the Will is obviously the best and most well known example but i also particularly like Der Ewige Jude as another example of a film that is simultaneously propaganda and film-verité. :-]

It's always inspiring to see ideologically pure works of art

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

discount cathouse posted:

Thank me later.

300 came out in 2007... Wrong century, much?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Thank me later.

how come ?

In Training posted:

It's always inspiring to see ideologically pure works of art

agreed. many of these films are technical masterpieces also. but i personally appreciate their message more than their cinematography

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Birth of a Nation is more KKK propaganda than Nazi but I can see why it was groundbreaking compared to the stuff at the time.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

I.N.R.I posted:

how come ?

agreed. many of these films are technical masterpieces also. but i personally appreciate their message more than their cinematography

And what message is that?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

And what message is that?

Strength, pride, and good moral character

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If you really want to talk about batshit crazy Nazi film projects the conversation really begins and ends with Kolberg. It was a mega-huge project, one of the largest productions in the history of film up to that point. It was a period piece about the Napoleonic Wars with a MASSIVE goddamned cast. SOmething like 150,000 extras were involved in the key battle scenes. Even crazier, since this was a state supported project they used about 50,000 members of the military to fill out those numbers.

At one point a key scene takes place in the snow. Not wanting to wait for winter they trucked in a few thousand truckloads of salt.

Oh yeah, people died filming the battle scenes. Some explosive charges hosed up or something and some extras got toasted. This was a movie battle with actual casualties.

The best part? Filming stated in 1943 and finished in 1944. You know, when the Soviets were busy grinding the Wehrmacht into a fine red paste. I wonder if there is anything better they could have done with about 5 infantry divisions worth of military personnel?

It was released right at the end of the war and only ever got a very limited release. The whole thing is peak mental nazi bullshit front to end.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you really want to talk about batshit crazy Nazi film projects the conversation really begins and ends with Kolberg. It was a mega-huge project, one of the largest productions in the history of film up to that point. It was a period piece about the Napoleonic Wars with a MASSIVE goddamned cast. SOmething like 150,000 extras were involved in the key battle scenes. Even crazier, since this was a state supported project they used about 50,000 members of the military to fill out those numbers.

At one point a key scene takes place in the snow. Not wanting to wait for winter they trucked in a few thousand truckloads of salt.

Oh yeah, people died filming the battle scenes. Some explosive charges hosed up or something and some extras got toasted. This was a movie battle with actual casualties.

The best part? Filming stated in 1943 and finished in 1944. You know, when the Soviets were busy grinding the Wehrmacht into a fine red paste. I wonder if there is anything better they could have done with about 5 infantry divisions worth of military personnel?

It was released right at the end of the war and only ever got a very limited release. The whole thing is peak mental nazi bullshit front to end.

This owns both because that movie sounds crazy and cause Nazis died.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

you can argue that the Nolan Batmans are this

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Let's discuss Nazi procreation films, such as Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

HORMELCHILI posted:

The Nazis wouldnt ever use a such degenerate technique as shakycam action. they're much better than that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Night Porter is dope

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Reader is really bad

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

I unironically wish Rob Zombie made a full movie of the Werewolf Women of SS grindhouse trailer. With Nicholas Cage as Fu Manchu!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Reader is really bad
The book was garbage.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't think that kind of thing is mental or bullshit. I think it's a supreme technical accomplishment, though my heart goes out to the people who died on set.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Goebbel's didn't care much for overt propaganda. In his opinion films that were just generally entertaining and appealed to a wide audience but reinforced the values the Nazis thought were important were far better propaganda than a film that just out and out tells you who is bad and who is good and why you should care or some poo poo like that. He preferred narrative films like Hitler Junge Quex (1933, d.p. Konstantin Irmen-Tschet) and Jud Süß (1940, d.p. Bruno Mondi). He particularly liked Jud Süß because it was basically your standard costume drama except the villain was really Jewish so it reinfoced anti-semitism without explicitly coming out and saying "Hey Jews are bad, alright.". I don't think he like Riefenstahl much because she had a vagina but also because he thought her films were too on the nose and obviously Nazi. I mean Triumph of the Will is about 3 hours of dudes in uniforms having a parade occasionally interrupted by Hitler. It's pretty boring.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Dec 4, 2016

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Goebbel's didn't care much for overt propaganda. In his opinion films that were just generally entertaining and appealed to a wide audience but reinforced the values the Nazis thought were important were far better propaganda than a film that just out and out tells you who is bad and who is good and why you should care or some poo poo like that. He preferred narrative films like Hitler Junge Quex (1933, d.p. Konstantin Irmen-Tschet) and Jud Süß (1940, d.p. Bruno Mondi). He particularly liked Jud Süß because it was basically your standard costume drama except the villain was really Jewish so it reinfoced anti-semitism without explicitly coming out and saying "Hey Jews are bad, alright.". I don't think he like Riefenstahl much because she had a vagina but also because he thought her films were too on the nose and obviously Nazi. I mean Triumph of the Will is about 3 hours of dudes in uniforms having a parade occasionally interrupted by Hitler. It's pretty boring.

I don't have a particularly high opinion of Goebbels and his love for subliminal propaganda seems to me to reflect exactly what he supposedly despises, by which I mean the perceived machiavellianism of the Jewish race

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I.N.R.I posted:

I don't have a particularly high opinion of Goebbels

hell, same

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

HORMELCHILI posted:

Yeah, I remember when Hitler dressed as a bat and when Winston Churchill said"Why so serious?"

gently caress off troll

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't think he like Riefenstahl much because she had a vagina
that recent movie about Jesse Owens at the Berlin Olympics has a subplot about Riefenstahl where this is implied. lol at trying to get the audience to feel sympathy for a nazi because she's a woman trying to make it in a male-dominated totalitarian society

• Locked thread