Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Moana is fine, but not great. The pacific island specific stuff is interesting enough, but the plot is as straightforward as It gets and moana herself is boring as sin.

The other problem is that it's 2 hours long and incredibly front-loaded. The rock gets a good song 30 minutes in and then there's a fantastic mad-max esque scene with pirate coconuts and then nothing in the rest of the movie comes close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xYGDR_eME
This bit always made me laugh even though it is pretty random references humor
Aw poo poo, totally forgot about the Pocahontas joke. That one friggin' slayed me as a kid.

Andorra posted:

What I don't like about recent disney movies is how characters

all

look

the same

Even a rabbit
Relevant

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My mother has placed an inflatable, light-up Olaf in front of the house as her primary Christmas decoration.

I don't think Disney sticking to one style for years at a time is harmful, even with some characters' faces slotting over each other like a tracing. It forces them to distinguish the characters by movement and personality instead of facial structure. Even though Elsa and Anna have identical faces, you' ll never see them produce the same silhouette simply because of how differently they carry themselves. Jasmine, Belle, and Ariel could slot over each other the same way and they stood out from each other fine.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

My mother has placed an inflatable, light-up Olaf in front of the house as her primary Christmas decoration.

I don't think Disney sticking to one style for years at a time is harmful, even with some characters' faces slotting over each other like a tracing. It forces them to distinguish the characters by movement and personality instead of facial structure. Even though Elsa and Anna have identical faces, you' ll never see them produce the same silhouette simply because of how differently they carry themselves. Jasmine, Belle, and Ariel could slot over each other the same way and they stood out from each other fine.

Edit: I added spoiler tags because this is more a CineD thing. But if we're going that way anyway, then feel free to unspoiler for my take on this increasingly contentious issue.

I disagree because ultimately women boil down to their looks and things like "personality" and "carriage" are basically unwanted side-effects.

So, to truly represent the feminine spectrum, rather than present women as being different people, we ought present them as different looks.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 15, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Shbobdb posted:

Edit: I added spoiler tags because this is more a CineD thing. But if we're going that way anyway, then feel free to unspoiler for my take on this increasingly contentious issue.

I disagree because ultimately women boil down to their looks and things like "personality" and "carriage" are basically unwanted side-effects.

So, to truly represent the feminine spectrum, rather than present women as being different people, we ought present them as different looks.

Why not both?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Shbobdb posted:

ultimately women boil down to their looks and things like "personality" and "carriage" are basically unwanted side-effects.

:crossarms:

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't understand that line of reasoning at all.

and i dont gotta

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hedrigall posted:

Anime is a billion times worse with this poo poo

If we use Anime as a baseline we're gonna give a pass to a lot of garbage.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:agreed:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

disney movies, which are made for children, are more tolerable than animes, which are made for manchildren

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
song of the south still best disney movie ever

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Empress Brosephine posted:

song of the south still best disney movie ever

Everybody needs a laughin' place and a kindly black man of their own

Too bad that dude keeled over right after the movie came out, Walt Disney talked about him like he wanted to make the man a movie star. Would've been neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Everybody needs a laughin' place and a kindly black man of their own

Too bad that dude keeled over right after the movie came out, Walt Disney talked about him like he wanted to make the man a movie star. Would've been neat.

Apparently, he won an Honorary Academy Award "for his able and heart-warming characterization of Uncle Remus, friend and story teller to the children of the world in Walt Disney's Song of the South." He was the first black man to ever win an Academy Award, though he died shortly after receiving it.

• Locked thread