Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Tangled is better than Frozen because it has a much more defined villain and a much more sensible conflict. Frozen had a lot of really strong scenes, but taken as a whole it just turns into a jumble. People remember the hook of a song more than the whole song, though, so we got Anna and Elsa eyein' us from every supermarket toy shelf to this day.

I love the tiny details in Zootopia like the stray black hairs in Judy's face and the way her nose is always twitching. Sometimes enough to be seen, sometimes enough that you have to be weird and hold your eye to the screen to see it. But it's there. That nose keeps on twitching. I have spent too much time going through Zootopia frame-by-frame. I intend to spend more.

Alan Menken's songs from the Disney Renaissaince were often really, really good. Up there with anything that was making it to Broadway. The final climax of "Bells of Notre Dame" can give me shivers and I have to loop it back and listen to it again. After a few times I try to sing along and I hurt my voice because that high note is like a soprano note sung by a dude, and even the trained tenor that performed it had to shriek to reach the pitch but it fuckin worked, man. It was beautiful.

Iron Giant was good. Prince of Egypt was good. I can't enjoy All Dogs Go To Heaven anymore because every furry avatar in youtube comments has a face that's a dead ringer for Charlie B. Barkin's and that well is pretty badly poisoned.

How do you feel about pictures that move and talk? Me, I'm for 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I liked the villain in tangled. It was good to see a different take on the evil stepmother role, which is usually very flat and uninteresting. Other than that, the film was average.
Frozen was so goddamned boring. Boring lead, boring love interest, incredibly boring villain. Comic relief character was annoying. That song was annoying.

The Lion King had a great soundtrack. I saw the musical in London's West End and loved it - can totally see why it's ran as long as it has, unlike Cats which I also saw and was bored thoughout but I guess this isn't the musical theatre forum.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Frozen and Tangled are teenager movies, you may as well love Twilight while you're at it. Disney had some movies that were designed to entertain parents that took their children to the theater as well though, the most organic of them was Lion King (because it managed not to divide the movie into obvious adult scenes and children scenes). Zootopia was also pretty entertaining because it was outright funny. There were also some movies which were enjoyable because of little scenes and details put into them and overall chill atmosphere like Robin Hood, The Jungle Book or Aristocats.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I like Aladdin. It's fun and has catchy songs.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palpek posted:

Frozen and Tangled are teenager movies, you may as well love Twilight while you're at it. Disney had some movies that were designed to entertain parents that took their children to the theater as well though, the most organic of them was Lion King (because it managed not to divide the movie into obvious adult scenes and children scenes). Zootopia was also pretty entertaining because it was outright funny. There were also some movies which were enjoyable because of little scenes and details put into them and overall chill atmosphere like Robin Hood, The Jungle Book or Aristocats.

Well.......yeah. Spongebob Squarepants is some intellectual Hard poo poo compared to Frozen, and even most of Tangled. I think that in the 60's Disney still had high hopes of keeping animation out of the Kidz Zone. Hell, I think they're still at their best when they keep trying to do that.

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

"Start panicking."

:q:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i watched the hunchback of notre dame a few years ago and i was kind of surprised how decent it was. the lack of 'save teh princess' probaby helped. the gargoyles were a little too obviously 'insert child entertainment scene' though

the college girl disney fan stereotype is real and highly concerning like who the gently caress picks the little mermaid as their hill to die on

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I thought Zootopia was a little thin... That was the only time Ive watched one of the 3D disney movies that people on /co/ go crazy for though.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Zootopia was hilarious and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You know something that's starting to annoy me about Zootopia? Judy has a magic invisible fanny pack that contains anything she needs it to. She puts stuff in it and pulls stuff out of it and there's never a visible object back there for her to be using for all of that. The fox repellent even disappears in the scene where Nick was supposed to notice it the first time they met.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

You know something that's starting to annoy me about Zootopia? Judy has a magic invisible fanny pack that contains anything she needs it to. She puts stuff in it and pulls stuff out of it and there's never a visible object back there for her to be using for all of that. The fox repellent even disappears in the scene where Nick was supposed to notice it the first time they met.

shes actually putting it in her fanny

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
it really blows that there aren't that many villain songs anymore. The one from Moana ruled though

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

I enjoy Disney movies, as well, OP. Give me Bedknobs and Broomsticks any time.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Who doesnt love Robin Williams as genie. Also Lion King and Beauty and the Beast are cool.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

it really blows that there aren't that many villain songs anymore. The one from Moana ruled though

Gaston better get to sing about how great he is in the live action BatB

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
The problem I have with animated movies is that I always feel creepy going to see them by myself. I feel like all the mothers in the theater are watching me to make sure I don't try to molest their kids.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

The problem I have with animated movies is that I always feel creepy going to see them by myself. I feel like all the mothers in the theater are watching me to make sure I don't try to molest their kids.

That's very normal

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Some Disney movies are better than others.

Mulan loving rules. Not even Eddie Murphy could ruin it (though he did do his best.)

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh
Frozen is probably the least good Disney movie I can think of. It had a couple of decent songs, but the actual movie/plot/whatever was very lackluster imo.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I was wondering what the point of this new forum was but I immediately get the more casual nature of conversation here, even though I still love CD.

I loved Zootopia. Really funny and surprisingly poignant what with its theme of using people's fear of others to exploit to their advantage. I think parents will genuinely be using Zootopia to explain Trump's America to their kids.

Frozen was awful, never got the hype and I'm not some blowhard too-cool-for-kids movies (as evidenced above).

Enjoyed Moana quite a bit. My one criticism, which I am leveling at pretty much ever big blockbuster of the last... 4 or 5 years, is that it tries to pack too many huge/epic/memorable scenes into one movie. Felt kind of rushed in places. But still, really enjoyable and beautiful looking.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Do we count Pixar stuff too or is that cheating? Cause I really enjoyed Inside Out and thought it managed to be really entertaining and funny despite how predictable the story was. Plus it was just nice to look at.

I guess Disney movies proper I haven't seen anything since Big Hero 6 (or Tomorrowland if you count not cartoons) but I liked those both quite a lot too. Really if it's got good gags and is nice to look at and maybe a surprise or two I can't ask for much more out of a Disney flick and they usually do well enough. Though now that I think about it something about the ending of Tomorrowland just felt off or rushed or something, I can't remember what.

Probably ought to check streaming and catch up on the ones I missed since I don't make a habit of going out to see or rent family movies

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As the wise OP of this thread I declare valid topics to be:

Animated movies that are rated G, PG, or PG-13 or
Partially animated movies e.g. Mary Poppins that qualify for the above criteria or
Any movie that's close enough to one of those.

Feel free to gush about The Land Before Time and its asymptotically retarded sequels or how the visuals from Cats Don't Dance stand up to newer stuff like How To Tame Your Dragon. Disney can't be ignored, though. You'll come back around to Disney. They always do.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Alice Gets Stung is still funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reI6m3NAmrw

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Zootopia is good

yes I am gay

Well, that's my review.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov posted:

Zootopia is good

yes I am gay

Well, that's my review.

I approve of this review.

I, too, am gay

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Zootopia is good, and I am not gay

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wow. That's like when a movie that gets ripped off so much that it starts to seem painfully cliche. 1925 and they've got a third of Warner Brothers' go-to jokes nailed down already.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I didn't really like Zootopia because despite having a pretty talented cast, it didn't make me laugh and the whole "predator v. prey animals" thing made me feel awkward and felt kind of like a forced metaphor.

Frozen I liked okay, but I kind of wanted that sister to just legit turn into an evil Ice Wizard Queen, kill a lot of people with ice magic, and win.

Up and Inside Out both seemed like actually pretty good movies, I think.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

As an adult, I still laugh at Archimedes from Sword in the Stone and some of the jokes in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and I still enjoy both the Dumbo drunk song and the Hephalumps and Woozle music.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Raskolnikov posted:

Zootopia is good

yes I am gay

Well, that's my review.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

I approve of this review.

I, too, am gay

Are you guys meaning to imply that being gay has something to do with you liking Zootopia?

Being gay doesn't make you like Zootopia being a furry does.

But Zootopia was alright and I'm bi.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thirsty Girl posted:

I enjoy Disney movies, as well, OP. Give me Bedknobs and Broomsticks any time.

Mrs. Potts dancing underwater with the curmudgeonly dad from Mary Poppins was good.

And the Portobello Road song, showing off the diversity of wartime Britain.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tangled and Frozen are both kind of meh to me. Beautiful animation, but kind of hollow.

Zootopia is the best Disney feature since The Princess and the Frog. I love how much of a positive message it has. It's also great how it manages to be a buddy cop movie and procedural at the same time.

A good double feature would be Zootopia and Hot Fuzz.

Astroduck
Aug 30, 2006

Lilo and Stitch and The Emperors New Groove rule, as modern Disney Films go. The Restaurant scene in New Groove is the best and even David Spade puts in a good performance.

Frozen bad, Tangled good, Zootopia great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

Gaston better get to sing about how great he is in the live action BatB

Well, the guy playing him in the live action movie is actually a pretty good singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTB0LjvKMwY

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Mary Poppins is still one of the best damned movies ever created. Pure spectacle and the LotR of its day in technical achievement.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

Mary Poppins is still one of the best damned movies ever created. Pure spectacle and the LotR of its day in technical achievement.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Treasure Island own, too.

Treasure Island is ground floor to nearly any pirate movie made since then and 20,000 Leagues still looks drat impressive today.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How was Princess and The Frog? The marketing for it was off my radar and I was always curious about it.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
/\/\

I thought it was okay and Keith David kills it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

How was Princess and The Frog? The marketing for it was off my radar and I was always curious about it.

It's Good. I loved the villain, he gets a rad song and his design is super cool, and the two main girls being friends and not competitors was refreshing and nice to see. :)

I really, really want to see Moana, but my husband isn't big into Disney movies (I know, sever). I'm hoping it'll be in theaters long enough for my mom to get back in the state so I can bring her instead, she loves animated films. :shobon:

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I first went to see Zootopia with my mom, and a week later went to see it again by myself. This was April, and I was the only one in the theater. I was thankful for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

OldTennisCourt posted:

Moana is incredible, and the Bowie glam-rock crab song is incredible.

It's also a groundbreaking animation squence -- I certainly can't think of another blacklight psychedelic crab-based Disney scene.

• Locked thread