Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Fun in Balloon Land combines Christmas and nihilism to make the greatest holiday film that ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Hector Beerlioz posted:

People think Will Ferral is funny which was always confusing to me

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I watched Christmas Vacation for the first time in a while and I just didn't care for it. Last third of the movie is fine but just wasn't really feeling it for the rest of the way. Chevy Chase is a tool

Muppet Christmas Carol still good tho

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In Die Hard 2: Die harder - a Christmas movie, John McClane fights off a bad guy with hair spray he finds in someones suitcase. You cant take hair spray on a airplane.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Thread should be about what was the last good Christmas movie released. I say Elf (2003)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Polar Express was pretty good, I suppose, and came out post-Elf.

I actually hadn't seen Elf until a few years ago. It's pretty decent.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Shadow Hog posted:

Polar Express was pretty good, I suppose, and came out post-Elf.

I actually hadn't seen Elf until a few years ago. It's pretty decent.

Watching the Polar Express is like taking an all-expenses paid vacation to the Uncanny Valley.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is the perfect Christmas film, and doesn't get nearly enough love.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Thread should be about what was the last good Christmas movie released. I say Elf (2003)

Last year's Krampus was pretty good Christmas comedy imo. But really, it's all been downhill since Rankin Bass released Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in 1964.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Frederick Wiseman's The Store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSoaV9oGDF8&t=2647s

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

shop around the corner or remember the night

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

also this

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm Mr white Christmas I'm Mr Snow I'm Mr I-cle, I'm Mr Ten Below. They call me cold meister, whatever I touch turns to snow in clutch.

I'm too much!

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
my current fav is The Chirstmas Tree (1991), a very low budget animated christmas special thats really clumsy and inept in a funny, fun to watch way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlFtMxG6mnY

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Arc Light posted:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is the perfect Christmas film, and doesn't get nearly enough love.

Last year's Krampus was pretty good Christmas comedy imo. But really, it's all been downhill since Rankin Bass released Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer in 1964.

i was caught off guard by how much i liked krampus. it has a very classic 80s horror movie "feel" to the story itself and most of the effects being practical was a nice touch.

santas slay is also a really fun bad christmas movie to watch.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It's a Wonderful Life is p good imho

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Shbobdb posted:

I'm Mr white Christmas I'm Mr Snow I'm Mr I-cle, I'm Mr Ten Below. They call me cold meister, whatever I touch turns to snow in clutch.

I'm too much!
I kind of hate how Heatmiser's variant of this line rhymes "touch" with "touch".

It's, like, rhyming 101. Don't rhyme a word with itself. Cripes.

fun hater posted:

my current fav is The Chirstmas Tree (1991), a very low budget animated christmas special thats really clumsy and inept in a funny, fun to watch way

You always win when you are good because your opponents will be electrocuted by random bolts of lightning that come out of the zero clouds present in the clear night sky.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like most versions of A Christmas Carol. The old black and white one, the muppets one, the scrooge mcduck one, the other old live action one that isn't black and white. Scrooged! is fun but it's a little too tongue in cheek about being a Christmas Carol adaptation for my taste.

Gremlins and Krampus are both amazing all-ages horror movies set around christmas. Really good poo poo.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

People think Will Ferral is funny which was always confusing to me

Yeah I'll never get it.

Shbobdb posted:

I'm too much!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Shadow Hog posted:

I kind of hate how Heatmiser's variant of this line rhymes "touch" with "touch".

Coldmeister really stole the scene though, so Heatmeister had to work with the same ragtime flow. There is a reason why you can sing one at a party and have people join in but not the other.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snow Miser says "friends call me snow miser" but Heat Miser says "they call me heat miser". He has no friends. Because nobody likes Heat Miser.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Obs. Coldmeister probably moonlights at Coors. You know that dude has tons of cold ones waiting. Heatmeister? Not so much.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BTW I'm gonna stream some christmas/horror movies tonight in case anyone is into that. Check the Horror thread in CD for details.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
possibly the best Christmas movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6kHN92Yv48

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Year Without a Santa Claus takes place in the Man in the High Castle universe. Proof?

1) No minorities.

2) Hitler has a cameo:

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Shbobdb posted:

Year Without a Santa Claus takes place in the Man in the High Castle universe. Proof?

1) No minorities.

2) Hitler has a cameo:

That's Charlie Chaplin...

Though I could see how you could make that mistake.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
The Ref

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Tangerine has been added to the Christmas Canon

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In no order:

Scrooged
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Die Hard
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Jack Frost (the horror one)

Sugar Blaster
Dec 15, 2004

All ears, all eyes, all the time!
Rocky IV is the best Christmas movie because Rocky and his wife abandon their kid to spend the holidays in a Siberian hellhole and leave him with an 80s robot as the legal guardian.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
did someone mention satoshi kon's tokyo grandfathers yet? its good.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

fun hater posted:

On the sidebar is "Noel: a Christmas Ornament" about a magic ornament that talks to the tree and has a ha'a'appiness! It's dumb and my family still reference it all these years later.

Realtalk: Wil Vinton's Claymation Christmas and Tokyo Godfathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God
the objectively best Christmas movie is Eyes Wide Shut, my bitch.

• Locked thread