Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you...
turn left?
turn right?
keep straight?
im gay goku
do something else?
View Results

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Banks is little better, and everyone is infuriatingly smug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
Looks like goon respondents are happy to put someone else's life at risk to better the chances of their own survival

Tunicate posted:

Banks is little better, and everyone is infuriatingly smug.
There are goons, good goons in here who need your help. Serious Good Literature withdrawal. Please tell us of the writers who are better than Banks that you seem to imply exist.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
what about ken macleod, the other scottish leftist scifi novelist

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

isn't the entire purpose of ethics hypotheticals to be super judgemental though

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Yinlock posted:

isn't the entire purpose of ethics hypotheticals to be super judgemental though

i judge but not for the purposes of railroading or rewriting the hypothetical, and mostly only how likely it is that people who want to run everyone over are joking. if you are not joking i would like you to swap your horn for death metal so if i hear it blaring while i'm walking i might have time to call my mom and say goodbye before i get turned into jerky thx in advance

other than that it's not really my place to say that you're a better or worse person for thinking you'd swerve on instinct or were sure that your choice would be what you'd actually do or not. it's just kind of fun to see what other people's reactions to this type of thing are mostly and i figured that even if most people here hated it for being a trolley problem it would not be hard to make one that was at least somewhat okay and get a few real responses. i love all the responses though including the jokes so thank you for engaging with me even if i didn't respond!

more to the point of the question, thinking about it i'd say that ethics hypotheticals are at their best when whatever judgemental part there is is of how people arrive at different answers more than whether they chose the 'right' or 'wrong' answer. someone who wrote a nihilist defense of mass murder as justification for swerving over everyone, assuming it was well-done with references and everything or at least enough to require a paper's worth of rebuttal, would get an a in my class albeit with a note about the death metal instead of a horn as above. they're at their worst when the only right answers are the ones the hypotheticals give, and any others are simply judged to be wrong/intentionally obstructive no matter how philosophically defensible they may be for that specific hypothetical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
if you think about it real life ethical dilemmas are just god giving you a trolley problem

• Locked thread