Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you...
turn left?
turn right?
keep straight?
im gay goku
do something else?
View Results

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

You are driving in your car when one of your tires blow out. You try to stop only to find your brakes have failed. To your left is a guardrail which will probably stop your car, but it's overlooking a ravine and you don't know whether your car will go over or not. To your right is a walkway that will definitely stop your car without sending you over the side, but probably not before also hitting some of the five people walking there. In front of you is an older woman who you might be able to stop in time for and not run over, but you were going too fast to begin with to be sure of that. What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

my car is autonomous and programmed to drive over pedestrians in case of danger, op. i put a notch mark next to the hood ornament for every 'incident'

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
voted left, but mind you i'm drunk right now, which i wouldn't be if I was driving, so your polling methodogoly.. methogol.. your polling ways are flawed

e: will watch this thread with interest tomorrow, off to slaughter innocents in Skyrim Spec Ed

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
why is there an old woman in the middle of the road, that seems like a poor choice on her part

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

You are driving in your car when one of your tires blow out. You try to stop only to find your brakes have failed. To your left is a guardrail which will probably stop your car, but it's overlooking a ravine and you don't know whether your car will go over or not. To your right is a walkway that will definitely stop your car without sending you over the side, but probably not before also hitting some of the five people walking there. In front of you is an older woman who you might be able to stop in time for and not run over, but you were going too fast to begin with to be sure of that. What do you do?

why is an older woman walking a crosswalk between a ravine and a sidewalk? Where the gently caress is this hypothetical street?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

rabble rabble posted:

why is there an old woman in the middle of the road, that seems like a poor choice on her part

She's jaywalking, but I figured if I just said there was a jaywalker there people would default to running them over.

I mean it's perfectly fine if you want to run her over anyway, it's not like I'm under some illusion people wouldn't run over pedestrians crossing at the crosswalk if they thought they could get away with it.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Downshift, handbrake, powerslide around old woman, blue spark boost.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why is she crossing the street if there's a ravine on the other side?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

Why is she crossing the street if there's a ravine on the other side?

It's not THAT big. She's past where the ravine is at any rate. This is why I said you might actually be able to stop by the time you reach her, but you can't be sure because you were going too fast and might be off by like a hundred feet (you don't need to be going real fast to smack a pedestrian hard).

Ignatius M. Meen has issued a correction as of 01:10 on Dec 15, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

why are my breaks out? are spooks trying to kill me? have i been unable to afford maintenance? am i just negligent?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Prav posted:

why are my breaks out? are spooks trying to kill me? have i been unable to afford maintenance? am i just negligent?

I don't know. It could be one of those things, it could be the manufacturer was poo poo, it could be just plain bad luck.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I pick the option that results in your death

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

I pick the option that results in your death

This is fine and I welcome your ghostly strangulation.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
OP, I am sorry about your av text. I think it is very important to write to politicians. Even if they won't read it themselves, they'll typically get to hear about the issues discussed if lots of letters discuss the same issues.

Prav posted:

my car is autonomous and programmed to drive over pedestrians in case of danger, op. i put a notch mark next to the hood ornament for every 'incident'
ah, a Mercedes owner. you will be first against the etc.

stephenfry has issued a correction as of 01:55 on Dec 15, 2016

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

stephenfry posted:

OP, I am sorry about your av text. I think it is very important to write to politicians. Even if they won't read it themselves, they'll typically get to hear about the issues discussed if lots of letters discuss the same issues.
ah, a Mercedes owner. you will be first against the etc.

but really who the hell would ever buy a car that doesn't put the health of its passengers as its first priority?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

as a gay goku i would drive my feet through the bottom of the car to force a stop, get out of the car, then lift the car, then throw it into the moon, and upon impact it makes a small crater in the shape of harlan ellison's face

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Prav posted:

but really who the hell would ever buy a car that doesn't put the health of its passengers as its first priority?
citizens of an enlightened country that legislates with the proper respect for the emergent consequences of autonomous vehicles on said country's roads. these people don't exist and this country doesn't exist. Mercedes' vehicular AI should be banned but will be aped.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

in a perfect world i'd just be a better driver

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

run over the old lady are you kidding me?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

this is so easy

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Prav posted:

in a perfect world i'd just be a better driver
yes, you are the magical organic who'll never be replaced by a tireless machine with the benefits of decades of telemetry

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

NEXT

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I voted turn left, and appreciate the construction of your ethical dilemma.

Obviously I would prefer not to die, but I would be unwilling to risk the lives of others to resolve a situation that I would blame myself for being in, whether fair or not.

However, if death were certain by turning left I'd probably try to thread a path between the woman and the sidewalk while blaring my horn because I'm not *that* selfless

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i press the self-destruct eject switch in my car and i fly out into the sky and the car detonates, its remains flying over the old lady leaving her wondering for the rest of her life what the gently caress just happened as i escape from orbit into the airless void of space and become a starman

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
do whatever i can to slow down the car and lay on the horn, but i stay in the lane. grandma's next of kin can sue the auto manufacturer if she bites it.

the automaker will probably pay for my therapy too

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

as a gay goku i would drive my feet through the bottom of the car to force a stop, get out of the car, then lift the car, then throw it into the moon, and upon impact it makes a small crater in the shape of harlan ellison's face

That'd be awesome as hell. I am glad you shared that image with me.

stephenfry posted:

Thank you. I laugh at it because it says more about the person who bought it for me than it does about me, but I appreciate that you feel I deserve better. It's really nice especially since I don't always feel like that towards myself.

Karl Barks posted:

run over the old lady are you kidding me?

that old lady is somebody's mom

you monster

say, what kind of monster are you anyway? a cool one like a wolfman or a lame one like a fishperson?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

that old lady is somebody's mom

you monster

say, what kind of monster are you anyway? a cool one like a wolfman or a lame one like a fishperson?

wow so all women must have kids now huh????

wolfman btw

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Thank you. I laugh at it because it says more about the person who bought it for me than it does about me, but I appreciate that you feel I deserve better. It's really nice especially since I don't always feel like that towards myself.
That's great. You're right. I don't know poo poo about you or your posting, other than your laudable active involvement in politics, but the av text is a criticism that is ridiculous and impotent on its face. I have a workplace subordinate who helps me feel good about myself by trying to flirt with me, while I degrade them.

I am running over the older woman.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv6rBVEko80&t=15s

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I pull up next to the guardrail but don't crash into it, instead approaching at a shallow angle so I can drag against it until I can bleed off a significant portion of my speed and come to a safe stop.

Really this is less an issue of ethics and more an issue of proper defensive driving training.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Not a Step posted:

I voted turn left, and appreciate the construction of your ethical dilemma.

Obviously I would prefer not to die, but I would be unwilling to risk the lives of others to resolve a situation that I would blame myself for being in, whether fair or not.

However, if death were certain by turning left I'd probably try to thread a path between the woman and the sidewalk while blaring my horn because I'm not *that* selfless

I am glad you liked it, I specifically didn't make anyone's death certain because life is not certain and most real ethical dilemmas don't factor in enough time to weigh all the facts someone might want.

Who What Now posted:

I pull up next to the guardrail but don't crash into it, instead approaching at a shallow angle so I can drag against it until I can bleed off a significant portion of my speed and come to a safe stop.

Really this is less an issue of ethics and more an issue of proper defensive driving training.

I'll admit since I can't drive I could not have thought of this and I'm not gonna rewrite the hypothetical to escape having a logical and extremely cool and good out that risks nobody's lives. Kudos!

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I downshift hard and gently engage the emergency brake, swerving to avoid the woman.

Also, since it's a catastrophic blowout, I am absolved of legal and ethical liability since the car is pretty much out of my control due to mechanical failure.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Does how aroused I become at the idea of smashed pedestrians factor in?

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Seriously though am I the only one that knows how to slow a car down by downshifting?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

504 posted:

Does how aroused I become at the idea of smashed pedestrians factor in?

I absolutely will not judge you for indulging in your fetish if that's what you want to do.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

stephenfry posted:

yes, you are the magical organic who'll never be replaced by a tireless machine with the benefits of decades of telemetry

Look at you driver, pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you drive through my roadways. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

stephenfry posted:

Well, they have actually functional flying drones and yet somehow there's still plenty of airline pilots

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I accelerate and swerve, so I can hit all six.

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i'm not gonna swerve onto a sidewalk full of people and i'm not gonna drive off a cliff so, i'm gonna run over that granny

but i would plead guilty to vehicular manslaughter and feel real bad while serving my sentence

(given time to think and accept the possibility of my own death i would gamble on the guard rail but it doesn't sound like i'd have that time and i know what my immediate reaction would be)

or i could just use the emergency break or shift into park but, since it took me this long to realize that, i'm a real bad driver

i would swerve into a tree or a wall or something but i would not go over a cliff, there should be trees everywhere

why aren't there any trees in your hellish dystopia

also, if the granny was a republican or a liberal i would accelerate

deadgoon has issued a correction as of 03:43 on Dec 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Concordat posted:

Seriously though am I the only one that knows how to slow a car down by downshifting?
I learned on a manual (they called it engine braking) and haven't been in one since. The skills you have are going to be lost to humanity within a century. You're like a longbowman or a trireme oarsman. Also it's an ethics hypothetical.

Prav posted:

Look at you driver, pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you drive through my roadways. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?
if memory serves, the alt+H shortcut

butterbar posted:

Well, they have actually functional flying drones and yet somehow there's still plenty of airline pilots
...who increasingly simply observe the autopilot, except in edge cases that aren't yet handled by the autopilot

• Locked thread