Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

FedEx Mercury posted:

The inspiration for this thread was me going to see Secret Life of Pets with my all adult family. They had a minions short at the start and the three women sitting behind us were choking up laughing at the trite juvenile bullshit. The main feature was also bad.

Yeah, I didn't really care for Secret Life of Pets and Sing ended up being a better movie...somehow. Low bar to clear and all, but yeah, Illumination has really put out a lot of 'meh' films. Minions was the only one that felt torturous though.

I go to a lot of the twee sappy childrens' cartoon movies in the theater as a fan of animation and to support the art form. I worked as an animator for awhile and I like to support friends who still work in the industry. In a more perfect world, animation would be seen as just another type of medium through which to tell great stories, and you could have a variety of film genres expressed through animation. But success for films that attempt it are few and far between, so its basically pigeonholed into kids films and comedies. Even still, the best animated movies showcase the qualities of good cinema regardless of genre and don't feel the need to play down to kids, which usually makes them entertaining for adults too (which is usually also among the filmmakers' goals since its the parents who buy the tickets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

The Walrus posted:

I watched finding dory coming down off mushrooms and it was a powerful, scary and fun experience. Really good movie. I watched it the next day with my gf and she cried a lot. It helps if you know ppl who are disabled I guess it really hit home

hell, theres 2 of them in this story right here

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I like some children's tv shows, I think seeing a family movie with your easily offended family is fine and often have to do that, but with movies I've met a lot of people who are mature and have tech jobs and all that but still mostly watch Disney and drew works movies and they say the same thing every time: "I don't want to watch something depressing, real life is hard enough."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tv animation seems like it has more depth and creative freedom than movie animation these days

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I like some children's tv shows, I think seeing a family movie with your easily offended family is fine and often have to do that, but with movies I've met a lot of people who are mature and have tech jobs and all that but still mostly watch Disney and drew works movies and they say the same thing every time: "I don't want to watch something depressing, real life is hard enough."

I've sometimes wondered if that was why the Depression era had so many musicals. Easy to forget how hungry/tired/depressed you are when bright colors and lush scores pour out of the screen.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Yeah I'm going to guess its just straight up escapism to be honest. I do it too but with sci-fi and poo poo

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

id be extremely depressed if i worked a tech job as well

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

id be extremely depressed if i worked a tech job as well

Same here. Or if i worked at all.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

get that OUT of my face posted:

tv animation seems like it has more depth and creative freedom than movie animation these days

You can kill a failed tv show before you're out $50,000,000+.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

more creative latitude but less time and money to accomplish it. there's a trade off.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ThingOne posted:

You can kill a failed tv show before you're out $50,000,000+.

Yup. Since your outlay is so low compared to an animated feature you don't have to appeal to wide demographics & you can take more chances. If you really want to maximize your return you can even start a non union studio and just... just have your way with some passionate young idiots who majored in drawing straight lines and circles.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

What's up with you being dead inside

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

get that OUT of my face posted:

Eh for every gem on tv there is a whole lot of crap. The cartoons my daighter likes are awful and annoying. Luckily we don't have a tv in the house but she still watches too much television due to her grandmas and daycare. If I hear the paw patrol theme song again I swear to god I will put a gun in my mouth.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

therobit posted:

Eh for every gem on tv there is a whole lot of crap. The cartoons my daighter likes are awful and annoying. Luckily we don't have a tv in the house but she still watches too much television due to her grandmas and daycare. If I hear the paw patrol theme song again I swear to god I will put a gun in my mouth.

Are you prepared for the My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic feature length film?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I don't watch western animation OP

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Plutonis posted:

I don't watch western animation OP

This

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Because they are psychologically children, unwilling and unable to realize and accept that life is darkness and pain.

Or because they have children, and have come to realize and accept that life is darkness and pain.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

Are you prepared for the My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic feature length film?

Is it wrong that I am considering quitting my job and homeschooling my kid to avoid her learning od this movie? How many years would I have to do that for, do you think?

Seriously though we will not be watching this.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Shbobdb posted:

Trap sprung.

I was mostly talking about Heidrigal, whose obsession with husky male characters in children's cartoons varies from :3: to :gonk:

Look, I can't keep track of who's talking about me in which threads if you don't spell my name right :mad:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

therobit posted:

you should consider having her watching cartoons that aren't on nick jr or pbs kids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Hedrigall posted:

Look, I can't keep track of who's talking about me in which threads if you don't spell my name right :mad:

I'll work on being better in the future campie.

• Locked thread