Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 26 - Mystery Door

The training of Tyrannomon continues, but rather than just spend an entire episode at the gym, we decide to get some recruits done too. First up is Ninjamon! I have conflicting information on how he shows up, though. One source says he will appear after you have unlocked the secret item shop (which we have, thanks to Numemon). The other source says he shows up after you hit 40 prosperity (which we also have), so I'm not sure which to believe. :iiam: In any case, Ninjamon will go work in the item shop and give you information about various items in the game.

Next up is the infamous Etemon! Etemon appears once you have reached 50 prosperity and will stand at Digimon Bridge and sell you Golden Bananas. These will digivolve a champion into Etemon, which is super useful if you're having trouble getting a virus type partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 27 - Aliens

We're still waiting for Tyrannomon to digivolve, even though I'm confident that we've met the requirements by this point. I'm sure that he'll digivolve soon, and no matter who we get it'll be a good Digimon, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned.

Rather than just sit around and wait for that digivolution timer to count down, we're gonna go take care of some business! First up is taking the stone tablet to Leomon and recruiting him to the city. He will be in the exact same spot you found him in Gear Savannah. Once at the city he will hang out with Birdramon doing absolutely nothing.

We also get the last scene at Mt. Panorama to recruit Vademon. Unfortunately you have to read both articles about Vademon on the Shellmon bulletin board and see all of the cutscenes before he'll actually show up. Having the bulletin board to clue you in to Digimon you can recruit is a cool mechanic, but I really wish it weren't a requirement for a good number of recruits.

Last but not least, we start Frigimon's quest line. You can trigger his cutscene if you have any of the following as your partner:
- Any Baby or In-Training Digimon
- Agumon or Kunemon
- Greymon, Meramon, Monochromon, Centarumon, Tyrannomon, Kuwagamon or Kabuterimon.
Once we get a digimon who is not any of those, then we can go back and talk to him to recruit him.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Frigimon can be somewhat troubling in a first-Digimon 100 Prosperity run. Yeah you're supposed to use the Moldy Meat to speed things along, but you can't get to that vending machine because you need to beat Tyrannomon... and the only Cold-weak digimon you'll be using is your starter Agumon, so what you're supposed to do is fail Centarumon's Amiga Forest trial over and over to get one from there.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 28 - Spoop Manor

I'm sure by the title of the episode and the thumbnail you can guess, but we get ourselves a virus type partner and head over to Grey Lord Manor (the name of which I'm sure is some reference to SkullGreymon). Recruiting SkullGreymon is a hell of an undertaking which requires you to complete a subquest with Myotismon (who doesn't even join the city) and go back and forth between the manor and File City a few times. The bulletin board mechanic wouldn't be so annoying if reading the posts weren't a requirement for at least 3 recruits. It would be a nice feature if it were just there to give you an idea of things that are happening around the island with a little bit of flavor.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Since you now have MetalGreymon (Virus), there is something more you can actually do with it. There is a mechanic called Death Digivolution which as the name suggests involves the Digimon in question Digivolving through death. Digimon World has four of these:
  • SkullGreymon who Death Digivolves from both MetalGreymon (Virus) and Megadramon.
  • Devimon who Death Digivolves from Angemon.
  • Bakemon who Death Digivolves from all of the Rookie Digimon you can raise.
  • And finally Phoenixmon who Death Digivolves from Kokatorimon and along with Bakemon is also obtainable as a partner without Death Digivolution unlike Devimon and SkullGreymon.
Outside of DW, Togemon is able to Death Digivolve into Ponchomon:

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Chimera-gui posted:

Since you now have MetalGreymon (Virus), there is something more you can actually do with it. There is a mechanic called Death Digivolution which as the name suggests involves the Digimon in question Digivolving through death. Digimon World has four of these:
  • SkullGreymon who Death Digivolves from both MetalGreymon (Virus) and Megadramon.
  • Devimon who Death Digivolves from Angemon.
  • Bakemon who Death Digivolves from all of the Rookie Digimon you can raise.
  • And finally Phoenixmon who Death Digivolves from Kokatorimon and along with Bakemon is also obtainable as a partner without Death Digivolution unlike Devimon and SkullGreymon.
Outside of DW, Togemon is able to Death Digivolve into Ponchomon:

Oh my god, Ponchomon is simultaneously amazing and an awful stereotype haha. Maybe we'll give the death digivolution a shot once MetalGreymon is near the end of his lifespan. Does that give you an extra lifespan boost from Digivolving again?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I have no idea since in this game, your Digimon has to lose one of its three lives after meeting the conditions for it which are presumably different for each Digimon and even then whether or not it actually happens is luck based.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Any evolution to Ultimate results in a lifespan boost as long as it wasn't an evolution item. So death evolutions do increase life span. But remember to save before you try it since death evolutions aren't guaranteed.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

A really interesting thing is to see just how much this game did influence the anime. Basically every main digimon met in the first season exists in this game.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Warmal posted:

A really interesting thing is to see just how much this game did influence the anime. Basically every main digimon met in the first season exists in this game.

To be fair, this game was released in Japan January 28th of 1999 while Adventure originally aired in Japan March 6th of the same year so they were being made around the same time plus the fact that there also just weren't a lot of Digimon in existence at the time so a lot of Digimon had to be created specifically for World and Adventure.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Summary of the Digimon's reaction to Etemon's Harem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGGvR2JBqMY

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

BioEnchanted posted:

Summary of the Digimon's reaction to Etemon's Harem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGGvR2JBqMY

Hahaha that made me so happy. Thank you for that.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 29 - Skullgreymon

First off I have to apologize for some technical issues. The game sound got dropped again (luckily it was just this episode this time) so there won't be any sound effects this episode. Also my mic freaked out a few minutes into recording and dropped my recording speed (some crazy how) which made me sound much lower than usual and desync from the game / Alden. I did my best to fix these in post, but there's still some artifacting. We got it fixed for next episode, though.

Anyways, it's time to finally cross this quest line off of our to-do list! This is an awful lot of work to go through for a single recruit, and one who doesn't really do anything super useful either. I have to say, I was a little disappointed when I found out that Skullgreymon just goes to the arena. I will say that the chamber where you find Skullgreymon is super gross looking and is the perfect location for this fight. They really did put a lot of attention into some of these painted background locations.

We also finish off the Frigimon quest! Frigimon will go work in the restaurant from 6PM - 12AM. He sells the following items:

Snow Shake - 300
Ice Cream - 700
Snow Cone - 1600

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
Man I just remembered how many 'hidden' recruitments there are in this game. It's a shame a lot of them don't seem to do anything tangible, other then simply showing up. I think some of them don't even count towards the Prosperity counter!

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

krisslanza posted:

Man I just remembered how many 'hidden' recruitments there are in this game. It's a shame a lot of them don't seem to do anything tangible, other then simply showing up. I think some of them don't even count towards the Prosperity counter!

It's always hard to strike a balance between having secret or hidden things be satisfying to get and making sure the really useful mechanics aren't super hard to get. I do think at the end of the day making the player feel like they accomplished something and being well rewarded is more important than a sense of "balance". The first Dead Rising is a great example of this. After spending hours killing zombies in one run to get the zombie genocide achievement you are rewarded with the Real Mega Buster. Sure, it makes all the boss fights trivial, but man does it ever feel good to shoot that thing. Besides, you still have to be super on point if you're going for a max survivor run.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Ceraph posted:

It's always hard to strike a balance between having secret or hidden things be satisfying to get and making sure the really useful mechanics aren't super hard to get. I do think at the end of the day making the player feel like they accomplished something and being well rewarded is more important than a sense of "balance". The first Dead Rising is a great example of this. After spending hours killing zombies in one run to get the zombie genocide achievement you are rewarded with the Real Mega Buster. Sure, it makes all the boss fights trivial, but man does it ever feel good to shoot that thing. Besides, you still have to be super on point if you're going for a max survivor run.

Yeah I see what you mean. From my recollection, really the only 'hidden' recruitments that really bugged me (from owning the strategy guide) is not being told about Beetle Land. Because those Digimon upgraded your training stuff, which is really useful.
I've been thinking about the original a lot since I've been playing Next Order for the past like two weeks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
"He and a few of his friends were going to summon Apocalymon, just for a laugh, you know, like lads do, and I was unable to dissuade him. By the time I had returned, Skullgreymon was completely insane, and there was evil everywhere!"

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

BioEnchanted posted:

"He and a few of his friends were going to summon Apocalymon, just for a laugh, you know, like lads do, and I was unable to dissuade him. By the time I had returned, Skullgreymon was completely insane, and there was evil everywhere!"

Dang kids! :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Have you ever seen Garth Merenghi's Darkplace? It's pretty funny and where I go that quote from.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 30 - Buffalo Drew

Now that we have our beefy MetalGreymon and we're done with the Myotismon quest line, it's time to tackle Mt. Infinity! I wanted to get some of the harder content done before MetalGreymon dies because I am honestly concerned that we will have a very hard time getting our next Digimon on par without all of those stat discs we were saving up. If we can manage to recruit Digitamamon there is an exploit you can use to eat his food repeatedly (supposedly it doesn't actually fill up your Digimon) to get max stats, but you need to complete Mt. Infinity to recruit him anyways so it's kind of a moot point. That would also require more Mojyamon money and I'm trying to avoid having to do that anymore.

Mt. Infinity is the first area that really feels like a dungeon. There are 12 floors in total with 4 bosses to fight (one of them being optional). On the 6th floor you will fight Devimon, the 10th floor is home to Megadramon (who is optional), MetalGreymon is on the 11th floor, and finally our big bad resides on floor 12. As near as I can tell there is no way to start mid-dungeon (unlike Next Order) but you do only have to fight bosses once. If you defeat a boss and return to their floor there will just be normal enemies there.

We manage to make it down to the 6th floor and beat us a Devimon! Having been freed from the big bad's mind control, he will return to the city where he sells dark chips in the secret item shop. These chips will give you a huge boost to stats, but each one will shorten your Digimon's lifespan by one day. As per usual, there is conflicting information online about how this exactly works and I'm not sure what's true. Some people say you can use them on a rookie before it digivolves into a champion and the champion will reset its lifespan and other people say the total lifespan carries over. :iiam:

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 31 - Economics

It's time to delve into Mount Infinity once again! The process of getting back to where we were eats up an unfortunate amount of our supplies, but luckily we're able to make it to the 10th floor where Megadramon resides. His fight is optional, but we decide to test our skills against him. He is one of two Digimon that can use the powerful DG Dimension ability (the other being Giromon), but if you're substantially faster than him it doesn't really matter what moves he has. Taking down Megadramon will recruit him to the city, where he stands outside the arena sometimes and brags about how great he is. He also fights in the arena and supposedly increases the frequency of high level tournaments.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
Devil Chips always seemed so useless to me. Even in Next Order, the amount of stats they grant seems not enough to make up for losing an entire day of life.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

krisslanza posted:

Devil Chips always seemed so useless to me. Even in Next Order, the amount of stats they grant seems not enough to make up for losing an entire day of life.

About the only useful thing you can use them for in Next Order is forcing a Digimon to die so you can get a new one (since they removed the 3 strikes battle loss death). I've heard that there are ways of basically giving a Digimon infinite lifespan, which is cool until you realize you want to work on filling out your digivolution tree.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Ceraph posted:

About the only useful thing you can use them for in Next Order is forcing a Digimon to die so you can get a new one (since they removed the 3 strikes battle loss death). I've heard that there are ways of basically giving a Digimon infinite lifespan, which is cool until you realize you want to work on filling out your digivolution tree.

Yeah thats about the best thing I can see for them. You can't do the infinite lifespan until post-game I hear though. I've been plugging away at it... while an LP of it might be a nice idea, I'd need a capture card, since the PS4 recording automatically mutes the Accentier song, which plays during ExE evolutions, really killing the battle mood for watchers.
And to be honest, if Next Order had the three strikes to die in battle, it'd be way harder... Next Order throws massive difficulty spikes at you constantly, and the level system for enemy Digimon is really wonky, since you have no way to know how tough your Digimon are, until you run into a fight.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

krisslanza posted:

Yeah thats about the best thing I can see for them. You can't do the infinite lifespan until post-game I hear though. I've been plugging away at it... while an LP of it might be a nice idea, I'd need a capture card, since the PS4 recording automatically mutes the Accentier song, which plays during ExE evolutions, really killing the battle mood for watchers.
And to be honest, if Next Order had the three strikes to die in battle, it'd be way harder... Next Order throws massive difficulty spikes at you constantly, and the level system for enemy Digimon is really wonky, since you have no way to know how tough your Digimon are, until you run into a fight.

I completely agree about the difficulty curve in Next Order being kind of crazy. I'd be so screwed so many times if your Digimon could die from losing battles (that and if emergency ExE weren't a thing haha).

Also if you are planning on doing an LP of it, I would actually recommend keeping the Accentier song muted. If you want to use YouTube for hosting, it will get flagged by content ID and then people outside of Japan won't be able to watch your video (I found that one out the hard way and had a hell of a time removing the claim from our VODs when we streamed it).

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Ceraph posted:

I completely agree about the difficulty curve in Next Order being kind of crazy. I'd be so screwed so many times if your Digimon could die from losing battles (that and if emergency ExE weren't a thing haha).

Also if you are planning on doing an LP of it, I would actually recommend keeping the Accentier song muted. If you want to use YouTube for hosting, it will get flagged by content ID and then people outside of Japan won't be able to watch your video (I found that one out the hard way and had a hell of a time removing the claim from our VODs when we streamed it).

Yeah I know all about that, Sony's PS4 share for streaming also automatically mutes the audio as soon as Accentier plays, meaning the stream gets nothing but big ol' silence if I bust out ExE. Really annoys me.
It's an idea, but I'm unsure if I'd get around to it or not. It wouldn't be a blind run anymore, but it might be a good excuse to learn video editing, if only because SA might frown up on my heavily reliance on doing gym training a lot. Then again, with my foreknowledge, I might be willing to be more reckless, since I know losing a battle is only a minor annoyance (especially once you get the hospital) instead of a major problem.

It's on my long list of, "This might be fun to LP". I certainly think Next Order was the Digimon World 'sequel' we needed though. I'm kind of hoping they'll make another.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 32 - A Fond Farewell

With just two more bosses left in Mt. Infinity, it's time to finish up the main story! The first obstacle in our way is MetalGreymon, who is just objectively a better MetalGreymon than our partner. Fortunately for us, he doesn't have an Alden standing behind him shoving recovery floppies down his gullet! After beating MetalGreymon he goes back to the arena, where he assigns your Digimon a sweet nickname.

Finally, it's time to meet Analogman, the big bad who's apparently been behind the Digimon going crazy the whole time. I guess his name is supposed to be some kind of inversion of "Digimon" ("Digi-mon" vs "Analog-man"). I have to say, the game does not do a great job of communicating that there is even an antagonist at all, let alone alluding to who he is before this first and final encounter. You just kinda run around recruiting Digimon 'cause Jijimon said so. The idea of Digimon being brainwashed comes up a few times, like Airdramon and Devimon, but it's touched on fairly lightly. Analogman feels kind of shoehorned in as a villain and I would almost have preferred if he were just not there. Having a strong boss to fight at the end of a long dungeon is a fitting capstone to the game, but his function as the antagonist is unnecessary. Just have a really strong Digimon to recruit at the end of the dungeon. I do appreciate them not having half an hour of cutscenes to sit through before you get to play the game. They could have easily just kept a very light, unobtrusive story that relies on the player's natural desire to explore the world and recruit Digimon. Unlocking new features in town and seeing your prosperity number go up is satisfying and motivation enough for the player to progress through the game. At any rate, it's a super minor complaint, as his inclusion in the game doesn't really hurt much. It's not like anyone played this game for the story.

Analogman summons a Machinedramon to fight for him, who is nothing to shake a stick at. He has some pretty beefy stats and can take a good chunk of our HP out with a single attack. Luckily we have our mountain of recovery floppies and manage out outlast him! Machinedramon does not get recruited, as he just kind of disappears after the fight. We do, however, get a bit of a new "recruit" for finishing the fight in that Airdramon will recover and hang out at the arena. There he will tell your fortune, which has no practical purpose whatsoever! These late game recruits are getting pretty lackluster if you ask me.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 33 - Arena ELO

It's time to actually fight in that arena we signed up for last time! It does take up a good couple hours, but you can get some decent rewards and it's not a bad way of making money, if you're averse to using the Mojyamon exploit. With that out of the way, it's time to do some more recruiting!

We take a brief trip to Toy Town before we realize that there's actually not much you can do without a Numemon partner. I really like the aesthetic of Toy Town, though, and I wish there were more to it.

During our attempts to track down Mojyamon (we want to complete all of the trades of the one with the exploit first so he doesn't disappear and get recruited) we stumble into Garurumon! Garurumon's recruitment has two parts, and we'll have to come back tomorrow and fight him again without items or commands. We've got a beefy MetalGreymon so I'm not super worried (unless he dies before then...).

We also find Penguinmon, who runs a curling rink of all things. I remember hating this mini game as a kid, but looking at it now it doesn't seem so bad. The fact that each person gets a random assortment of... uh... discs? to play with is a little odd though. Your reward for winning at curling is more curling! albeit optional this time. Penguinmon will open up a curling rink in town once recruited.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
It's true, a lot of the late game recruits don't really seem to do anything. You just kind of recruit them because... w-why not? :v:
I think Analogman is slightly hinted at, or at the least, a greater overall villain in the game, but it is pretty not obvious I think, so he does kind of come out of nowhere. Don't worry, I'm sure Analogman or Machinedramon is never, ever going to be brought up in any future games! :haw:

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

krisslanza posted:

It's true, a lot of the late game recruits don't really seem to do anything. You just kind of recruit them because... w-why not? :v:
I think Analogman is slightly hinted at, or at the least, a greater overall villain in the game, but it is pretty not obvious I think, so he does kind of come out of nowhere. Don't worry, I'm sure Analogman or Machinedramon is never, ever going to be brought up in any future games! :haw:

Of course! That would just be silly... :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

At least Machinedramon is a thing being the secondary tier villain of the first season of the Anime, behind Apocalymon. We get the pizza, Apocalymon gets the crust, Machinedramon cleans up after the party is over :v:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I wanna say that tournament matches are based on who has the higher HP percentage when the timer runs out cause that's how it works in MR if you don't kill the opponent outright.

Like say you have high base HP than your opponent but they bring you down to 1% of your HP while you only get them down to 10% of theirs, you lose.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Chimera-gui posted:

I wanna say that tournament matches are based on who has the higher HP percentage when the timer runs out cause that's how it works in MR if you don't kill the opponent outright.

Like say you have high base HP than your opponent but they bring you down to 1% of your HP while you only get them down to 10% of theirs, you lose.

The guide I was looking at specifically said that it is determined by who dealt more damage, but didn't really go into more detail. Given the mystique around this game, I wouldn't be surprised if you were correct and they mistook having a higher percentage for having dealt more damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates recently. I've been really busy with personal and work stuff, and Alden is working overtime until October so unfortunately we won't have a chance to record any more Digimon World for a while. I would like to come back and at least finish out the life span of our current partner and maybe pick up a few more recruits, but there won't be any new episodes until at least mid October. I'm going to move on to posting episodes for other games that I already have footage for for now. Thanks for watching so far, and hopefully I'll be back before too long!

• Locked thread