Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Videos:
================

Episode 01 - 5 Points of Articulation

Episode 02 - Picking Flowers

Episode 03 - Centarumon World

Episode 04 - Speed Up

Episode 05 - The Medley

Episode 06 - Training Montage

Episode 07 - The Restaurant

Episode 08 - Manning the Store Front

Episode 8.5 (Super Bonus 01) - I Hate Weedmon

Episode 09 - New Beginnings

Episode 10 - Souvlakimon

Episode 11 - That's Not Trash

Episode 12 - Fishing

Episode 13 - Design Talk

Episode 14 - Next Drew

Episode 15 - Sanctuary

Episode 16 - Trading Cards

Episode 17 - Seadramon

Episode 18 - Beetle Land

Episode 19 - Money!

Episode 20 - Piximon Sucks

Episode 21 - Factorial Town

Episode 22 - Not So Misty Trees

Episode 23 - Deckard Cainmon

Episode 24 - Choicest Rookie

Episode 25 - Hungry Hungry Tyrannomon

Episode 26 - Mystery Door

Episode 27 - Aliens

Episode 28 - Spoop Manor

Episode 29 - Skullgreymon

Episode 30 - Buffalo Drew

Episode 31 - Economics

Episode 32 - A Fond Farewell

Episode 33 - Arena ELO

================

In the late 90s Bandai released a virtual pet toy to compete with Tamagotchi. They called it "Digital Monster" and marketed it specifically at boys, touting the fact that the digital monsters you raised could fight each other. Depending on how you raised it, your Digimon could evolve into several different Digimon as well.

Flash forward a couple of years, and the Digimon virtual pet toy is doing pretty well. Bandai released several different versions of the hand held device and is ready to try and expand the IP. They started work on an anime (Digimon Adventure) while concurrently developing a console adaptation of the virtual pet toys(Digimon World). Both of these were released in Japan around the same time (Digimon World being released a few months before Digimon Adventure aired) so other than sharing a brand and specific Digimon, there's really not any overlap between the two. The game focuses heavily on the raising and training of your Digimon, much like the virtual pet toys did. Also, like the virtual pets but in stark contrast to the show, your Digimon has several paths it can take when it digivolves. As a kid the anime is what got me into Digimon and when I found out there was a game for the Playstation I nearly lost my mind. I was confused when it seemed so different from the show, but I loved it anyways and spent countless hours failing miserably at this game. There is a lot of obscured information on top of it already being fairly difficult at the beginning, but somehow I just kept coming back for more.

Digimon World is far from perfect, but I think it has a lot of heart. I'm sure nostalgia plays a large factor, but this game will always have a special place in my heart.

The Story
================

This is normally where I would recap events from previous games or expand on the world a bit, but Digimon World doesn't really pretend to be interested in the story. You play as a kid whose mom leaves pudding in the fridge. He suddenly gets transported to the Digital World by Jijimon, who needs his help bringing Digimon back to the city. For some reason being away from the city slowly turns them wild until they forget they ever lived in the city and can no longer even speak. That's the entire set up for this game, and I kind of have to applaud them for not trying too hard on the story. They give you a basic premise, but it doesn't get in the way of the game. The virtual pets had no story, so if their aim was to capitalize on that audience then there would be no need for a story.

================

Characters:
================

The Heroes

This kid loves pudding! He also likes wearing a yellow jacket and a black beanie. Oh and he loves Digimon! That's really all I got. I tried looking up his canon name, but the closest I got was "Shujinkou" which pretty much just means "hero" or "protagonist". The player gets to name the main character, and they left his personality pretty blank to make it easier for the player to insert themselves into his shoes. He seems like a good enough kid, and I'm sure there's a kind hearted, courageous hero behind those dead, soulless eyes...

...right?

Jijimon is the village elder of File City, which is at the heart of File Island. It's his job to look after the Digimon of File City, and when they started disappearing he called for help. Jijimon looks like an old man, but it's not really clear if Digimon age like that. As near as I can tell he just... turned into an old guy one day. Unless he was just born hatched that way. Digimon are weird.

Your partner Digimon is the focus of the entire game. While you can start with either Agumon or Gabumon you can eventually end up with dozens of different Digimon (though realistically your first champion will probably be Centarumon. Sorry to be the one to break it to you). Ostensibly the point of the game is to adventure around File Island and recruit as many Digimon back to File City as possible, but unless you train your Digimon a bit a lot, you're going to have a pretty tough time of it. Raising your Digimon involves training them in File City to raise their stats, feeding them when they're hungry, and taking them to a bathroom when they have to poop (lest they turn into poopmon Sukamon). This is where the majority of play time goes. The somewhat annoying part is that Digimon have a rather limited shelf life, and when they die they turn back into a baby Digimon, which you then have to raise back up to a champion or ultimate before you can really go back into the island and get anything done. This does mean that you get a chance to start over if you didn't get who you wanted, though.

The Villains

I'm gonna level with you here, I have no idea who the bad guy is in this game. Maybe it's wanderlust, or manifest destiny? There's plenty of Digimon that want to kick our teeth in, sure, but at least at the start of the game there is no clear villain.

================

Ceraph fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 01 - 5 Points of Articulation

Welcome to our let's play of Digimon World! As always I'm joined by my good buddy Alden (A440V) for this LP. I'm way more excited to be playing this game than I have any right to be, as I fully acknowledge that it is not a great game. For some reason I just can't help but love it, though. So many fond memories of days spent trying desperately not to have my Digimon digivolve into Numemon or Sukemon (and failing miserably). I just love the silly little touches, like having chunks of cooked meat growing out of the ground.

There is a good amount of setup to the game before we can really start rolling, but we do manage to recruit Agumon, who opens up the item bank next to Jijimon's house! It's fairly useful, due to your limited item capacity.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And now we have one of the two DW game I've actually owned rather than rented as I did for DW2 so here's some trivia. This game has a cut Digimon name Kaminarimon tied to a Digivolution item called the Electro Ring. It's never actually been seen though and name would later be used for a spoof Digimon mentioned one of the stories in the CD audio drama Digimon Frontier Original Story: Things That Want To Be Told called "Get Izumi's Heart! The Ultimate Strategy!!".

This is the closest we have to an official design for this thing which was submitted two months before the release of World:

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

This game was certainly trying to be SOMETHING. What that is I'm not entirely sure. I found it impossible to get anywhere in it as a kid as I had no idea how any of the mechanics actually worked. But it still was fun just because it was Digimon. The fact that Izzy's voice actor played just about every child in the opening as well as Protagonist just made it all the better.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Chimera-gui posted:

And now we have one of the two DW game I've actually owned rather than rented as I did for DW2 so here's some trivia. This game has a cut Digimon name Kaminarimon tied to a Digivolution item called the Electro Ring. It's never actually been seen though and name would later be used for a spoof Digimon mentioned one of the stories in the CD audio drama Digimon Frontier Original Story: Things That Want To Be Told called "Get Izumi's Heart! The Ultimate Strategy!!".

This is the closest we have to an official design for this thing which was submitted two months before the release of World:

Is that a paper lantern with robot arms and legs... wearing socks? The world is a sadder place without Kaminarimon in it.

Warmal posted:

This game was certainly trying to be SOMETHING. What that is I'm not entirely sure. I found it impossible to get anywhere in it as a kid as I had no idea how any of the mechanics actually worked. But it still was fun just because it was Digimon. The fact that Izzy's voice actor played just about every child in the opening as well as Protagonist just made it all the better.

I even had the Prima strategy guide and I had no idea what I was doing. Allegedly it just had bad info, though, so I'm sure that didn't help. Unfortunately it's been lost to the tides of time and I have not been able to track it down.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While I'm posting in the thread, here's an ad for Digimon World as well as the original card game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULDaN4vW18U

And some commercials for the v-pets while I'm at it, I apologize in advanced for the low quality of the second one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW3VHXSTp0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEprOg4gChI

I also found a video showcasing Gizmo and Bull, the Tyrannomon and Greymon puppets used for the second v-pet commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuwxjxlYJDc

Also was there a third guy talking in the first LP video? I thought I heard another voice beside you and Alden.

Edit: Sorry about that.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 4, 2017

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Chimera-gui posted:

While I'm posting in the thread, here's an ad for Digimon World as well as the original card game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULDaN4vW18U

And some commercials for the v-pets while I'm at it, I apologize in advanced for the low quality of the second one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW3VHXSTp0k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEprOg4gChI

I also found a video showcasing Gizmo and Bull, the Tyrannomon and Greymon puppets used for the second v-pet commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuwxjxlYJDc

Also was there a third guy talking in the first LP video? I thought I heard another voice beside you and Drew.

Those are absolutely incredible. I'm very impressed at how much work went into those puppets considering they had about 2 seconds of total screen time in the ad.

Also you are correct, I forgot to mention in the first post but the first few episodes have a guest commentator. Our friend Sully sat in on the first recording session. Also also just to clarify, I'm Drew and Alden is A440V. I can see where the confusion came from, since Alden is the one actually playing the game.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I think the best part of those commercials was the "Prepare to Digimon!"
It's great when your product is a noun and a verb.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I love this stupid game. It's made entirely of middle school rumours and unmitigated bullshit. I once finished it with just the starter Digimon.

Apparently Next Order is like this, and comes out end of the month. Might be worth a look into!

e; Oh yeah and Bonus Try is super rigged. If the RNG hasn't decided you get a winning roll, you can time it frame-perfectly and the reels will tick over so that you lose. But of course, even if the RNG does smile on you, you still have to time it right, it won't fudge it for you in that direction.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 9, 2017

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I love this stupid game. It's made entirely of middle school rumours and unmitigated bullshit. I once finished it with just the starter Digimon.

Apparently Next Order is like this, and comes out end of the month. Might be worth a look into!

e; Oh yeah and Bonus Try is super rigged. If the RNG hasn't decided you get a winning roll, you can time it frame-perfectly and the reels will tick over so that you lose. But of course, even if the RNG does smile on you, you still have to time it right, it won't fudge it for you in that direction.

Oh wow, Bonus Try is even more not worth it than I thought.

Also I am stupid excited for Next Order! I am absolutely going to pick that up when it comes out and I will probably do some videos and/or streams of it.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

I apologize for how long it took us to figure this out, but we had been doing the special move entirely wrong. You actually have to press L1 and R1 at the same time to charge your finish bar, which is not only not stated in the game but doesn't really make any sense. I can't really think of a good reason why they didn't just make it also square.

We're starting to pick things up with the city recruitment stuff, as we pick up 3 new Digimon today! Palomon will increase the production of the meat farm from small meat to large meat. Kunemon opens up a path to the Digital Birdge. After going back to the city he will stand around File City and tell you the names of the special foods for each area. Coelamon will open up a path to the next part of the island. Getting across the river also fixes the bridge, which means we can go back and forth at will. If you go back and talk to him again he actually joins the city and opens up an item shop, which is super nice for stocking up on HP and MP recovery disks.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Palmon recolor is called Alraumon. Both will release a sweet fragrance when happy and a foul stench that will drive off even large Digimon when pissed off or threatened. They're are also both based on the mythical Mandrake said to have sprung from the blood or semen of a hanged man (depending on the story), that people who pull up this root will be condemned to hell, and the mandrake root would scream as it's pulled from the ground killing anyone who heard it.

Strangely Yoshi's partner Lalamon looks like a depiction of the Mandrake despite having no obvious relation to it apart from having a sound-based attack albeit a soothing lullaby rather than a scream that kills everyone within earshot:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ceraph posted:

I'm fairly sure digivolution isn't random, and can be influenced in a couple of ways. First is that if you meet stats for three digivolutions, but bonus conditions on only one, I think you'll get the one you have the most conditions for. Second, some digivolutions flat out have priority over others, in that the game checks your stats against a list of the requirements for all possible digivolutions on basically every frame, and it checks them in a certain order. If you meet the same number of conditions for two or more digimon, it chooses whichever is first in the list.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I'm fairly sure digivolution isn't random, and can be influenced in a couple of ways. First is that if you meet stats for three digivolutions, but bonus conditions on only one, I think you'll get the one you have the most conditions for. Second, some digivolutions flat out have priority over others, in that the game checks your stats against a list of the requirements for all possible digivolutions on basically every frame, and it checks them in a certain order. If you meet the same number of conditions for two or more digimon, it chooses whichever is first in the list.

This game. There are people who are still doing experiments to try and figure out exactly how digivolutions work. Thanks for dropping that info in the thread! Letting the list order pick is definitely the easier way to handle that, so I am not at all surprised to learn that is the case.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

We're starting to feel the pains of trying to raise a specific digimon in the early game. The timeframe you have before the first champion combined with the low starting stats of your digimon make it very difficult to get anything other than Centarumon.

We also encountered a strange bit of post battle text that I had to look up after the fact. It turns out that when you see the phrase "Listens to!" it means your digimon got enough brains to use another command in battle. In this case, "keep it down!" is the "Moderate" command.

We get two more Digimon today: Betamon helps Coelamon with the item shop. Centarumon opens the Digimon Clinic, which can cure a Digimon if it's injured or sick.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You do know that squat toilets are a thing right? Especially in Japan.

Also, I am very certain that World's depiction of Digivolution as "Digimon model loses texture to reveal wireframe underneath which changes shape before getting a new texture mapped onto it" was the basis for the Digivolution sequence in Tamers.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Chimera-gui posted:

Also, I am very certain that World's depiction of Digivolution as "Digimon model loses texture to reveal wireframe underneath which changes shape before getting a new texture mapped onto it" was the basis for the Digivolution sequence in Tamers.

I couldn't remember what it looked like from memory so I looked it up, and now I kind of wish I hadn't. The digivolution sequence in Tamers looks downright painful, with their skin being torn off of their... uh, wireframe. I can definitely see how Tamers was inspired by World though.

For reference, here is a video of all the digivolutions from Tamers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahrw6htPPMw

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Tamers' depiction of Digivolution as painful looking was presumably deliberate since not only was the premise of Tamers "What if Digimon were real?" but the guy credited for it, Chiaki J. Konaka, is known for writing stories with a dark psychological tone.

Honestly the Tamers depiction of Digivolution is still my personal favorite to this day just from the sheer body horror aspect.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ceraph posted:

We're starting to feel the pains of trying to raise a specific digimon in the early game. The timeframe you have before the first champion combined with the low starting stats of your digimon make it very difficult to get anything other than Centarumon.

Cantarumon's bonus condition is 60% Discipline; Garurumon's is 90%. Since you were hovering between the two, you met Centarumon's and not Garurumon's, and got Centarumon.

Basically you needed to yell at Drew more.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 04 - Speed Up

It's time to do some stuff that's really repetitive! We do most of the Drimogemon mini game, which consists of walking back and forth from the dirt pile to the tunnel entrance. It's super tedious, but the rewards are really nice: 5000 bits, 500 HP, 50 Offense, and 50 Defense all said and done.

We also fight Tyrannomon! He's got a lot of HP (over 3000) but he's very slow and with our spit fire attack we can keep him stun locked for most of the fight. With some HP recovery chips it's not a super hard fight once you get a champion, but it does take quite a while to chew through his HP.

Tyrannomon doesn't join the city just yet, but once we finish our business in the Ancient Dino region he'll come to town and open a restaurant! The restaurant is really nice because the food raises stats other then weight, but it is a little expensive (until we get to the infinite money exploit).

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Flinging enough floppies to store wikipedia in its entirety is pretty much the go-to strat in this game, yeah.

And you totally can do everything in one Digimon. 100 Prosperity even. Whenever I replay this game, half the time I do that. Gotta start with Agumon though. The other half of the time I try and get every single tech. That's actually harder.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
This was the best Digimon World. 2 and 3 weren't the same as just that like... traditional Digimon feel of raising and caring for a Digimon... then having it engage in brutal blood battles for your amusement.
Okay, that and I'm a huge sucker for any kind of game where I get to 'build' a town. Even if you really just rebuild it. But recruiting all the Digimon for File Town was fun.

You know, I think I actually have the Prima Guide still laying around somewhere... even if it doesn't actually tell you how to get to some of the REALLY special places in this game.
Particularly the way to 'upgrade' your Gym so all the training is more effective

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Honestly. At this point in the video, you could say any made up fact about this game and I'd think it's real. Also. As I stated in the comments of the video, sudden flashback to Tony Hawk Pro Skater from the start of that song.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 05 - The Medley

It's time to check out the Ancient Dino region! This area is particularly interesting because there's two distinct halves of it with two different effects. In the Ancient Glacial Region, time moves half as fast, meaning that if you spend the entire life of a Digimon here it would live twice as long (in real earth time). Beyond the Ancient Glacial Region is the aptly named Speedy Time Zone and, as you might expect time moves twice as fast here. That means that every minute you spend here is one extra minute off the lifespan of your Digimon.

We also made a huge mistake in this episode. We forgot to load up on HP recovery items before fighting Saberdramon and you should never, ever do this. As a result we get KOed and have to go all the way back for a rematch. We get to show off what happens when a Digimon gets KOed, though. Not only does it count toward your "three strikes and you're out dead" counter, but you also drop some items / get them stolen (it's not really clear which). As a result we lost our entire stack of Digimushrooms!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Evil Patamon's real name is Tsukaimon and it is indeed a Virus Attribute counterpart to Patamon even Digivolving into Devimon and Virus counterpart to Angemon. What's odd is that Tsukaimon and Devimon other official* Rookie stage DemiDevimon were created in the same year and even acts as a familiar to higher level Digimon just as Tsukaimon does.

*By official, I mean in terms of the anime and recognition by the fanbase since all Digimon have multiple possible stages they can Digivolve from/to.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 29, 2017

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

It sure is a shame that the anime wasn't able to replicate the FUN that is caring for the digimon in this game. I'm pretty sure most of the digidestined, mostly Tai, had more than three care mistakes.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, Digimon and Monster Rancher taking liberties with the mechanics of the source material was by necessity to keep the stories from getting bogged down by that kind of minutia. And bare in mind that the eight partner' lines in Adventure were basically cobbled together using whatever Digimon seemed to fit thematically whereas with the lines of later Digimon like Guilmon or Gaomon, most if not all of the stages were developed as a set from the start.

That said while linearity was preferred, the care mistake mechanic was acknowledged in the form of Dark Digivolution: Your gently caress ups come back to bite you in the rear end royally. And while a "I hosed up so now my partner has Digivolved into Numemon" style situation would be a comical counterpoint to that, it's not really practical in a story with life or death stakes. The closest the anime has gotten to that is the failed App Fusion Sukasimon who appeared twice in Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters, the first time do to the Gatchmon and Navimon bickering and the second do to Eri losing her concentration during the App Fusion and got its rear end handed to it both times.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Chimera-gui posted:

To be fair, Digimon and Monster Rancher taking liberties with the mechanics of the source material was by necessity to keep the stories from getting bogged down by that kind of minutia. And bare in mind that the eight partner' lines in Adventure were basically cobbled together using whatever Digimon seemed to fit thematically whereas with the lines of later Digimon like Guilmon or Gaomon, most if not all of the stages were developed as a set from the start.

That said while linearity was preferred, the care mistake mechanic was acknowledged in the form of Dark Digivolution: Your gently caress ups come back to bite you in the rear end royally. And while a "I hosed up so now my partner has Digivolved into Numemon" style situation would be a comical counterpoint to that, it's not really practical in a story with life or death stakes. The closest the anime has gotten to that is the failed App Fusion Sukasimon who appeared twice in Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters, the first time do to the Gatchmon and Navimon bickering and the second do to Eri losing her concentration during the App Fusion and got its rear end handed to it both times.

I hadn't really thought about it before, but it is a very nice parallel that Tai accidentally makes Greymon dark digivolve into Skullgreymon, and getting Skullgreymon in Digimon World requires at least 10 care mistakes.

Also there's no way this wouldn't count as a care mistake:

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
If I remember correctly you can get Skullgreymon another way, which is often useful for completing the game in the first generation:
If Metalgreymon loses a life by losing a battle, after Jijimon admonishes you, it will Digivolve into Skullgreymon, interestingly a similar thing happens with Angemon, if it "faints" it will Digivolve into a Devimon, and I'm sure there are other Digimon this foes for

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

xelada posted:

If I remember correctly you can get Skullgreymon another way, which is often useful for completing the game in the first generation:
If Metalgreymon loses a life by losing a battle, after Jijimon admonishes you, it will Digivolve into Skullgreymon, interestingly a similar thing happens with Angemon, if it "faints" it will Digivolve into a Devimon, and I'm sure there are other Digimon this foes for

Not as useful as you might think, given I'm pretty sure the MetalGreymon in this game is Virus anyway, and for 100 prosperity in a single Digimon you have to take a very specific digivolution path.
I don't think there are any others that digivolve through death, but there are couple other weird "sideways" digivolutions, yeah.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 06 - Training Montage

It's time for a montage! Drew is looking a little scraggly in the stats department, so we decide to do some much needed training. We spend a full two days on training and manage to beef his stats up quite nicely.

We don't stop there, though, as it's time to head back to the Speedy Time Zone and see what was up with that meteor that Tyranomon was talking about. As a result, we recruit Tyranomon to town! We don't get to check it out in this episode, but Tyranomon opens a restaurant! It's super nice for stat raising if you have enough money.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

For me, the hardest and first step towards doing good in this game was forgetting the habits of usual RPGs. Specifically realizing that battling random mooks is a waste of time, HP and MP unless you're trying to learn a specific tech and that spamming recovery items is what you're supposed to do and not a sign of doing bad.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."

Petiso posted:

For me, the hardest and first step towards doing good in this game was forgetting the habits of usual RPGs. Specifically realizing that battling random mooks is a waste of time, HP and MP unless you're trying to learn a specific tech and that spamming recovery items is what you're supposed to do and not a sign of doing bad.

This is 100% accurate. Enemies will barely drop enough bits to cover floppies for the HP and MP you waste on them. MP management starts to become a huge factor and if you're not prepared you end up running around waiting for your finisher to charge like we did.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 07 - The Restaurant

It's time to check out the Restaurant! Whatever resource we found during recording that details the stats you get for eating food has been lost to the quagmire that is Google search results, because I have not been able to find it since. If anyone knows the details for the restaurant and wants to post it, that would be awesome! I was able to find out which Digimon work there, during what hours, and what food they offer. I will only post up to the Digimon we have recruited, but that brings me to my next point; we get a Meramon! Meramon also works in the restaurant and will open it if you don't have anyone else who works there. I believe beating Meramon also opens up more of the island to explore as well.

Restaurant workers:

Tyranomon: 6AM - 12PM
Wild Dragon Noodle - 4 hundbits (400)
Zaurus Pizza - 10 hundbits (1000)
Jurassic Burger - 25 hundbits (2500)

Meramon: 12PM - 6PM
Red Hot Ramen - 4 hundbits (400)
Burning Hot Curry - 12 hundbits (1200)
Lava Hot Pot - 35 hundbits (3500)

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Ceraph posted:

Whatever resource we found during recording that details the stats you get for eating food has been lost to the quagmire that is Google search results, because I have not been able to find it since. If anyone knows the details for the restaurant and wants to post it, that would be awesome! I was able to find out which Digimon work there, during what hours, and what food they offer. I will only post up to the Digimon we have recruited, but that brings me to my next point; we get a Meramon! Meramon also works in the restaurant and will open it if you don't have anyone else who works there. I believe beating Meramon also opens up more of the island to explore as well.

Here, I'll test real quick.

quote:

Restaurant workers:

Tyranomon: 6AM - 12PM
Wild Dragon Noodle - 4 hundbits (400) => Def +1, Spd +1
Zaurus Pizza - 10 hundbits (1000) => Def +3, Spd +2
Jurassic Burger - 25 hundbits (2500) => Def +5, Spd +3

Meramon: 12PM - 6PM
Red Hot Ramen - 4 hundbits (400) => Off +1, Brn +1
Burning Hot Curry - 12 hundbits (1200) => Off + 3, Brn + 2
Lava Hot Pot - 35 hundbits (3500) => Off + 5, Brn + 3

I'll do the other four when you get them.

And you have most of the island unlocked from the start, beating Meramon just gets you a shortcut. You're always able to go through the Canyon (don't talk to Yuramon about bandits and Ogremon won't show up) Freezeland, Misty Trees, Gecko Swamp and Gear Savannah to get to Mt Panorama, and if you approach the landslide from the opposite side, it vanishes as if it were never there and you have your shortcut without beating Meramon. This is useful to kit out the Item Store using a Rookie when going for 100 prosperity in a single Digimon because you need to be Champion to even get to Meramon, much less beat him.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Thanks, dude! The meals are kind of expensive for the stat gains, but if you use the infinite money exploit (which we will probably showcase at some point, even if we don't rely on it) then being able to get stat boosts every time your Digimon is hungry can be pretty awesome. It definitely starts to add up after a while.

xelada
Dec 21, 2012
I noticed you dodging the DemiMeramon, if I remember correctly they are actually friendly, one of them even offers to trade cards or something

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

xelada posted:

I noticed you dodging the DemiMeramon, if I remember correctly they are actually friendly, one of them even offers to trade cards or something

Considering that DemiMeramon's Level is In-Training*, I don't think they'd behostile to you since your Digimon would have no problem defeating them.

*Data Squad and by extension Masters which treated it as a Rookie Level Digimon. It also treated Fresh and In-Training as a single Level.

Ceraph
Feb 26, 2013

Say, "fuzzy pickles."
Episode 08 - Manning the Store Front

Due to the magic of recording, I mention a "new Digimon World game coming out soon", which at the time of recording was true. The game is actually Digimon World: Next Order and it came out in the US yesterday (1/31/17). It is sitting in my living room waiting to be played, but I am super excited to check it out.

Anyways, back to the game at hand. We have to play a very finicky and unfortunately luck-based mini game to recruit Monochromon. There was a bit of misinformation in this episode regarding the mechanic, so allow me to clear it up. When you select the "raise price" option and they don't accept it the price is not automatically lower the next time you pick it (that was just a coincidence). Whenever you select the option it actually just randomly picks a value within a given range. You can actually select "let me think about it" and then "raise price" again to get a different value. When selling medicine to Goburimon it can be very beneficial to try and milk as much profit off the sale as you can. When you select an option a little speech bubble with the buying Digimon's mood pops up and you're supposed to be able to use that to tell if the sale will be a success or not, but it seems like the type of Digimon buying has much more of an impact on how much they'll spend on a sale. Here are the four types of Digimon that come to the store and whether or not it's a good idea to raise the price for them:

Muchomon - somewhat risky to raise price
Goburimon - always raise price
Weedmon - never raise price
Gotsumon - safe to raise price

I find this mini game to be incredibly frustrating given how many random factors stand between you and success (item being bought, Digimon buying, actually accepting the sale). One way of fixing the balance in this game would be to have your target profit be based off the base profit for all the items you sold. Say for example if you sold everything at regular price you would have gotten 2000, so the goal for winning would be 2,200 (10% higher). This method simply requires you to be good at haggling (IE the mechanic of the game) and not be at the mercy of "I want some meat!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
So, I've been playing the new Digimon World game, and I'm moderately convinced that one of the characters is actually the main character from this game, but older.

That or they have a character that dresses literally the same way as the protagonist of this game.

Also, the new Digimon World doesn't kill your digimon for three losses so that's nice

• Locked thread