Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Oh, they finally deleted :bakon:

e: wait, nope :fyh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Has anyone read Honey and Clover and does the story end where the anime ends? I mean, I'm not sure I want to continue with the story after the professor Shuji claims he's in love with his cousin Hagu, who he must be at least more than 15 years older, but I would love to read any material the anime didn't cover.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
2006 was before I started watching, but I think I've seen enough (though I am still lacking NHK) to add a vote here. Ouran starts well and ends well, with a bit of boring in the middle; E7 just isn't my kind of thing, but...

1. The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

Hey, this is the 2006 thread and we're only talking about Season 1, so I can say that but for the sexual bullying this is a Masterpiece of Anime. (The movie actually is a masterpiece of anime.) I admire Haruhi for the genre-bending comedy but what makes it really interesting is that broadcast order... it was a daring move, and it works (unlike the daring move of the second season). It's also more cleverly written than I originally gave it credit for, and thanks Simulwatch thread for helping to clue me in on that.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Willsun posted:

Has anyone read Honey and Clover and does the story end where the anime ends? I mean, I'm not sure I want to continue with the story after the professor Shuji claims he's in love with his cousin Hagu, who he must be at least more than 15 years older, but I would love to read any material the anime didn't cover.

It's been a long time since I watched it, and I haven't read the manga, but my recollection of that situation is a bit different: He's not in love with Hagu, or going to marry her. She's fundamentally broken and needs someone to look after her and provide her with the right environment that will allow her to keep creating. He's the only person with the motivation, understanding, and resources to be able to pull that off. He's basically going to be the homecare version of the State Home for Manic Pixie Dream Girls.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Triggerhappypilot posted:

There used to be a thing where people would make emotes to represent their registration date:

:regd04:
:regd05:
:regd06:
:regd07:
:regd08:
:regd09:
:regd10:
:regd11:

After 2008 it just became silly puns and people stopped dropping $30 on dumb emotes nobody ever used by 2012 or so. Well, they still did, but it was on other dumb emotes nobody ever uses except to demonstrate that nobody uses them, like :legion:,:grovertoot:, and my personal favorite, :crossange:

HEY. Put that emote away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Haven't seen enough to nominate any Worst anime (only started watching a couple of years later, so I've only really cherry-picked shows I've heard good things about) but I've seen enough for a Top 5:

1. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Slightly biased since this was the first anime I watched since my childhood watching Tenchi and Dragonball Z on Toonami - but it's still a personal favourite for me. Excellent protagonist (which as noted has been shamelessly copied in the subsequent decade), and excellent art direction for a TV anime (The amateur film episode alone is a work of art).

2. Black Lagoon
I remember this as been dumb fun. The anime equivalent of a 80s action movie. Revels in ultra violence and outlandish set pieces. The GIF that's already been posted really sums it up.

3. Welcome to the NHK
Surprisingly heartwarming and funny at times.

4. Ouran Host High School
Was funny, fluffy and cute. There were some odd tone shifts at times, but I enjoyed it.

5. Bartender
Ended up watching this series over the course of a year, watching an episode here and there. Using the history of a certain drink to contrast with life's problems was really interesting.

• Locked thread