Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I lost a whole package of stuff, despite 5 others showing up the same day. Most of the refunds were granted, one was not (it’s still in customs, they say). Re-ordered a bit, spending too much, as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

N100 arrived today and so far so good, it switches on and is updating windows without issue

It's probably a good idea to wipe and reinstall windows on AliExpress PCs before using them. A while back a brand called ace magician was preinstalling malware on specific models of their mini PCs.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

one day I’ll get the thermometer I ordered in 2014 and you’ll all be sorry

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This $4 piece of plastic is great and lets you attach your joy cons to your Switch in portraite mode. It's a knockoff of the Flip Grip, which is normally $15.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mN9snx8

It's nice for pinball games and vertical shooters.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

wa27 posted:

This $4 piece of plastic is great and lets you attach your joy cons to your Switch in portraite mode. It's a knockoff of the Flip Grip, which is normally $15.

The new nintendo wang.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Rexxed posted:

The new nintendo wang.

nintendong

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sega does what

dc3k posted:

nintendong

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Honestly the discount is not big enough for me to get that instead of the original article.

https://www.fangamer.com/products/flip-grip

John Mirra
Dec 18, 2005

wa27 posted:

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
You should buy the original because Jeremy Parish is a cool guy.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
As a proud owner of an original flipgrip, I think it's worth noting that it doesn't fit the OLED switches and they warn you against trying. I'm going to pick up one of those ali ones since I did upgrade to an OLED.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Manky posted:

As a proud owner of an original flipgrip, I think it's worth noting that it doesn't fit the OLED switches and they warn you against trying. I'm going to pick up one of those ali ones since I did upgrade to an OLED.

I should say I'm using an OG switch with the Ali one and it fits snugly and locks in. I'm guessing it's an exact clone of the official one, but the Ali seller just doesn't have any problem advertising it as compatible with both. From googling it sounds like a lot of people use the official one as well with the OLED.

Or maybe the clone has been tweaked to fix whatever the issue with OLEDs is. For $4.50 it's probably worth trying.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Remember when we discovered Ali was selling counterfeit U.S. postage? I wonder if they're getting high on their own supply:

The package made it here okay, but weirdly it was registered twice in Informed Delivery--one of the tracking numbers had my ZIP plus another three digits appended to it. :iiam: Got my hopes up that I could be getting !two! Ali packages today, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
An extra three digits is weird, I'd expect four for the ZIP+4 number.

kare
Mar 19, 2002
Whose idea was it to trade mark "Advatage" with the missing N?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

kare posted:

Whose idea was it to trade mark "Advatage" with the missing N?

Someone keen on not losing their advatage by dropping a letter, duh. It’s way faster now.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Echophonic posted:

An extra three digits is weird, I'd expect four for the ZIP+4 number.

I bet it has a leading zero.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
Received my mini PC today. It's pretty cool. I don't have time to mess with it this week but my first impressions are:

- It did come with an EU power supply as advertised, but it's 110-240v so it should work fine with any cheap EU-US plug adapter.

- It has zero USB-C ports, which is utterly bizarre to me. Who wants 3 HDMI, 2 ethernet and zero USB-C? Not totally unacceptable, but I think worth pointing out.

- It really is tiny. I was imagining the size of those old Intel NUCs but it's I think only about 60% of that volume.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Axlerod posted:

I bet it has a leading zero.
The additional three digits weren't anything like my +4, and were right before my ZIP in the tracking number, not after it. Like I said, :iiam:.

e: And I misspoke: they were prepended to the tracking number.

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 24, 2024

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Troubadour posted:

Received my mini PC today. It's pretty cool. I don't have time to mess with it this week but my first impressions are:

- It did come with an EU power supply as advertised, but it's 110-240v so it should work fine with any cheap EU-US plug adapter.

- It has zero USB-C ports, which is utterly bizarre to me. Who wants 3 HDMI, 2 ethernet and zero USB-C? Not totally unacceptable, but I think worth pointing out.

- It really is tiny. I was imagining the size of those old Intel NUCs but it's I think only about 60% of that volume.

it’s amazing so far, i’ve plugged in some external storage and installed teamviewer, plex / jellyfin and tailscale to connect to Lunasea app on my phone and that’s it, a complete media server accessible from anywhere online

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

All this Switch talk has reminded me:

Can anyone recommend a nice, classy gadget pouch / case to hold a Switch joy-con grip, and associated cables, dongles for our Switch? There's just a bunch of clutter on a book shelf at the moment

And a similar question for some travel storage for a load of USB cables, chargers and probably 4 reasonably bulky travel adapters? My solution for that at the moment is a lovely molle pouch with cables inside a bigger pouch where the adapters sit. It's not very "grown up" looking :(

There's a load of stuff in Amazon, but it'll be drop shipped and marked up anyways, and I've gotten a good steer in here many a time

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Amphigory posted:

Can anyone recommend a nice, classy gadget pouch / case to hold a Switch joy-con grip, and associated cables, dongles for our Switch? There's just a bunch of clutter on a book shelf at the moment

And a similar question for some travel storage for a load of USB cables, chargers and probably 4 reasonably bulky travel adapters? My solution for that at the moment is a lovely molle pouch with cables inside a bigger pouch where the adapters sit. It's not very "grown up" looking :(

There's a load of stuff in Amazon, but it'll be drop shipped and marked up anyways, and I've gotten a good steer in here many a time

Samsonite briefcase??

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Amphigory posted:

I've gotten a good steer in here many a time

Well this is certainly a new euphemism 🤔

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Amphigory posted:

I am a huge case guy. I have cases for most of my devices and handhelds.

If you're looking for quality, I'd look up "Waterfield Designs" for adult-themed (but expensive) Switch cases. I bought a "CitySlicker" for my 3DS years ago and it is the best case I have. I want to say that I've mentioned it in another thread, but was dismissed because of the price.

It's a good case...but it really is even more expensive now.

Although, since we're in the Ali thread you could probably go for something like a "GPS" case or some kind of camera case. Not much that's classy.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Literally A Person posted:

Samsonite briefcase??

that’s what I kept my Super Nintendo in when I wanted to bring it to a friends house as a kid

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

minivanmegafun posted:

that’s what I kept my Super Nintendo in when I wanted to bring it to a friends house as a kid

youth and wisdom, a powerful combination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Amphigory posted:

Try Etsy; my partner got me a sweet BoTW korok one from a seller in Uruguay a year or two ago (which they got copyright struck for, but there were plenty of other good options).