Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I know at least in the picross e series if you solve it too slowly (or with too many errors, since they knock time off) you don't get rewarded with color. I assume these are the same way?

Watching these videos makes me kind of wish the e series had animations on the finished puzzles. It's a cute touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Here's my homework.

I like looking at the color combinations people use for their homework. :shobon:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Here's my homework, and it's kind of a crappy alien...

EDIT: I am apparently poo poo at reading numbers. Oh well.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 24, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Homework 4 & Homework 5

Sorry I was late. I'll take half credit.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

someone awful. posted:

I know at least in the picross e series if you solve it too slowly (or with too many errors, since they knock time off) you don't get rewarded with color. I assume these are the same way?

Watching these videos makes me kind of wish the e series had animations on the finished puzzles. It's a cute touch.

30 minutes is the cutoff there, which is an improvement over the GB/SNES picross games which had that 30 minutes as a hard limit - you don't clear it in that time, you fail, no questions asked. And penalties shave down that time at a rate of 1m-2m-4m-8m. You're literally not allowed more than five mistakes before you fail.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's my alien Homework 5

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

This may be the cutest homework I've ever had.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Got my homework here as well. Also your talk about difficult puzzles reminded me of some of the later puzzles in Picross 3D that would take me about 40 min to complete every time. The final puzzle I believe is 10x10x10, which honestly is just kind of absurd.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Homework is complete and once again I messed up somewhere, but was able to recover! I don't even know how I end up making the mistakes I make, which is infuriating as it means I keep making them.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

:confuoot:

Microreview for Picross Touch: It's free and it shows on basically every level (no colors, animations, or even names after completing a puzzle, patterns instead of actual puzzles in the lower difficulties, a little wonky UI, etc) but, well, it's free picross. I'm sure there's better stuff in the workshop, but even that has some weird issues like telling you what the name of the puzzle is before you solve it. Would not recommend unless you've dying for more puzzles.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If it's the same as the phone title (the UI certainly looks it), half the 15*15 puzzles are also plagiarised Nintendo sprites. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
LP? What do you mean "LP," I'm not doing Automata yet. Picross? I'm LPing Picross? Who the gently caress would LP Picross?

...gently caress.

Part 6: A Demonstration of Shame

This one has a couple good starting points. The top, left, and right sides all have border rows that fill in a ton of squares (that 1/12 is especially helpful), but don't overlook the middle bits. 3/3/2/2/1 and 4/2/2/2/1 are both full rows as well.

First pass up and down the rows should give you something along these lines. It'll be little different depending on whether you did rows or columns first (I did rows), but either way that's a pretty good starting base.

A second pass through for cleanup and it's pretty much solved already. As usual, if you made it this far in, it should be smooth sailing to the end.

And that's our alien buddy, complete with mothership.

Now for something a bit more terrestrial.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Yet another homework successfully completed.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Homework is in

Hard to get started, but once you find the outsides of the image it's easier to work with.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Artix posted:

:confuoot:

... patterns instead of actual puzzles in the lower difficulties ...

I'm sure there's better stuff in the workshop

I've done a good many of the workshop puzzles by this point. A good many are "omg amazing pattern" or pokemon portraits. There's also a few where the author just kinda randomly slapped down dots and tried to call it difficult. The hardest puzzles on the workshop tend to be the 15x15 pokemon ones. Some of them I'm pretty sure are impossible without blind guesses.

Also homework assignment here.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Homework's done! Worst part for me was missing two single 1x1s and only noticing when I thought "it only has one eye - that can't be right". I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be this.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Homework done!

I spent way too long fretting if I'd gone wrong or something because I just could not see what the image was supposed to be at all. It didn't click until I was actually done. Not exactly my finest moment that. :downs:

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"
HW5 and HW6

Has anybody tried SquareCells? It's this subtractive interpretation of picross where the emphasis is on crossing out squares instead of filling them. It feels like I'm chiseling out the solved puzzle.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Homework #6

A little tricky to get started with, as others mentioned, but being able to identify which areas of negative space have to contain certain numbers definitely helped with the way through. Still pretty tractable overall.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

DoubleNegative posted:

I've done a good many of the workshop puzzles by this point. A good many are "omg amazing pattern" or pokemon portraits. There's also a few where the author just kinda randomly slapped down dots and tried to call it difficult. The hardest puzzles on the workshop tend to be the 15x15 pokemon ones. Some of them I'm pretty sure are impossible without blind guesses.

If the Pokémon ones came from the Pokémon Picross game on 3DS, the developers of that game pretty much *expect* you to use the various powers to give you clues to disambiguate problem rows/columns. Unfortunately, this also means you can't plug those puzzles into a Picross solver if you get stuck.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Here's my homework!

The start was the trickiest part. After that, everything just fell into place.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
God, I wish the pokemon picross didn't need so many goddamn picrites (and it takes for-loving-ever to get the literal hundreds needed to open a new world when you only get like 5 max one time from a puzzle and another few one time a day

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal

Aerdan posted:

If the Pokémon ones came from the Pokémon Picross game on 3DS, the developers of that game pretty much *expect* you to use the various powers to give you clues to disambiguate problem rows/columns. Unfortunately, this also means you can't plug those puzzles into a Picross solver if you get stuck.

It's possible that I've been using dumb luck all this time, but I'm 99% certain that literally every single puzzle in Pokemon Picross can be solved through pure deduction, with no guesses or power solutions. I haven't unlocked Route 23, 25, 28, or 30 quite yet, but every single other one I've completed without using reveal, hint or fix powers the first time through. I've had a few that properly stumped me for a day or two, but every time it was just a situation in which I didn't apply the "Can both of the stated block sizes fit into this available space?" logic.

I'm definitely spoiled by the auto-complete on blocks, though (that 'turn the '2' grey if you place both and lock them in' feature). I made a mistake on this homework twice because I forgot to count my completed sections, although I recovered from it the second time, which is why you can see where it used to be wrong.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

WFGuy posted:

It's possible that I've been using dumb luck all this time, but I'm 99% certain that literally every single puzzle in Pokemon Picross can be solved through pure deduction, with no guesses or power solutions. I haven't unlocked Route 23, 25, 28, or 30 quite yet, but every single other one I've completed without using reveal, hint or fix powers the first time through. I've had a few that properly stumped me for a day or two, but every time it was just a situation in which I didn't apply the "Can both of the stated block sizes fit into this available space?" logic.

Wait until you hit the 20x15 puzzles. :shepicide:

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008
Speaking as someone who actually played Pokemon Picross until I hit the 100% marker, certainly all the puzzles can be completed with pure deduction, and the game gives you more than enough time to figure everything out... On the basic puzzles, at least.

And then Mega Puzzles happen with timers too tight to justify, so you wind up using the hints just so you have enough time to get through them fast enough. I know of more than one occasion where one of the Mega Picross puzzle missions was set no Pokemon, I wound up having to do the puzzle three or more times just to deal with how tight the timer was.

Seriously. Puzzle sizes are 10x10, 15x15, and 20x15. Normal gives you 5, 15, and 30 minutes respectively. Alt World gives you 3, 5, and 10, which is nowhere near enough time for a first run.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Homework

See you in two weeks when the next vid goes up. :v:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Homework is done and I didn't even gently caress it up this time!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Homework! Agreeing with Dragonatrix that one of the hardest parts is that weird feeling when you have absolutely no clue what the thing you're making is, even when you're finished. It clicked after I zoomed out but after I'd filled in the last square I stared at it for awhile, like "are you sure you didn't mess up somewhere?" :psyduck:

Admittedly I have this problem with video game picross, too, but it has the decency to light up with color and tell me I'm done so I can just make a weird face with it and be like "okay, I guess, if you say so".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Here's my homework!

This one was cute :3:

Warning on that Nonogram site from the OP - puzzle 54 is bugged. It said that my puzzle was incorrect when I deduced that because of a couple of 9s positions that the top two rows had nothing in them, then when I filled them in and checked again it found no errors despite the first thing in those columns now being 11s, not 9s.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 10, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Homework done!

I admit I use the hints just to save time - note that you guys blew through that first puzzle in just shy of two minutes and the next one took about three (five after penalty), whereas with a single person you would probably add 30 seconds to the first and another minute to the second.

I feel like the light-up number hints does cause more anxiety than help too, though, given how rarely you actually need the nudge unless you're really not in the right headspace to be nonogramming anyway. It's a good beginner crutch (and does occasionally help force your head in the right space for megas) but more often you're just trying to make the blue go away instead of actually focusing on counting rows/visualizing it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

No homework yet, I only just watched the video, but that was indeed a hand puppet.

E: All done now.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 11, 2017

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

That was probably the hardest one to start yet. Our way of doing the colours did not render us able to make out the shape until colouring it in. Insert Pun here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
The thing about "Blue hint numbers" in modern picross games, is that picross puzzles are in large part a "Where's Waldo?" cross-referencing trial and error. You math out the numbers to see if anything can be done, check to see if those results yield something else in the other direction, continue moving on. It's often pretty hard to see where you need to go next. Blue Hints save a huge amount of time from doing this.

• Locked thread