Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Picross (or nonograms, as they're more formally known) are a puzzle game from Japan where you fill out rows and columns to mark where squares are and form a little picture. It's...sort of like Minesweeper, if you were actively trying to find the mines and had a vague idea of where they were, for a quick and dirty comparison. Anyway, it's a very unique puzzle game and I am hopelessly addicted to them, so when my good buddy FPzero said that there were SNES Picross that we could co-op(!!), how could I refuse?

The Game

We will be playing a series of games called Picross NP, released exclusively in Japan for the SNES between 1999 and 2000. Each of them has a unique "theme" and a set of puzzles related to the game in question, ranging from Pokemon to Star Fox 64 to Donkey Kong Country. I don't promise that we'll complete all 8 games (that would be madness, given that each one appears to have about 100-ish puzzles?), but we'll definitely do all the theme ones and probably finish the first game or two. Beyond that, who knows? We'll keep doing them as long as there's interest.

The LP

The LP is going to be broken up into three parts: The first and most obvious one are the main videos, where FP and I chill out and talk about a little bit of everything. Sometimes we'll lay out some sick picross solving tips, sometimes we'll be focused on the puzzle itself, and sometimes we'll just chat about whatever. Along with each update, I'll be posting some Homework Puzzles™ - these are intended to help you learn to play Picross and brush up on your skills if you're a bit rusty. When the next update goes up, I'll go over the solution to the previous puzzle and put out a new, (probably) harder one until everyone in the thread is a Picross Master. And if you're already an expert, great! Feel free to give anyone who's struggling a nudge in the right direction, just don't blindly post the answers.

...The third part? Eh, don't worry about it. It'll be fine. Same with the music. :v:

Hey speaking of the music, I have a great idea for a song to use...

Artix posted:

Because I'm a lazy gently caress we're going to need a ton of music for this LP, I'm opening submissions up to you, the viewers! Just go :siren: here :siren: and submit 1, 2, as many songs as you like, and I will take literally all of them. No song is too out of tune, too overly dramatic, or too unfitting for this LP. But be warned! Once it's in there, it's in there and it will be used, regardless of whether or not it was a joke.

E: To make my life as easy as possible, please dump a youtube link (or whatever service it's hosted on) rather than "Lost Woods from Link to the Past"!

Oh god I've fallen down the Picross hole, it's been three hours and I need more puzzles

Great! Nonograms.org has thousands of puzzles available for free in both black/white and multi-color variation, but if you're looking for something you can take with you, Griddlers is a decent app for your phone or Nintendo has a series of 3DS games called Picross e[#]. The most recent one is e7, but all of them have between 100 and 150 puzzles and can be had for ~$6 a pop. If you know of any others, please mention them and I'll add them here!

CrossMe/CrossMe Color (Android - $5)
Picross Touch (Steam - Free!)

Updates

Part 1: Intro to Picross
Part 2: A Step Up
Part 3: Picross is the Dark Souls of Puzzle Games
Part 4: Please Do Not Puzzle the Baby
Part 5: A Preview of War Crimes
Part 6: A Demonstration of Shame

Artix fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
reserved

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Part 1: Intro to Picross

We're gonna start off with something nice and easy, for even the newest picross fan. Remember to start with the complete rows!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hell yeah, Picross owns!

The stomach man one is... kind of unsettling.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ah, the Puzzle King's Game. Some call it Dot Chess.

Here's my answer

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I played literally three or four hours of picross today and it's all your fault!!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Picross! It's Sudoku for crazy people.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Thread puzzle answer. I used red for the invalid squares for my own benefit when marking it out. That works well thanks to how we innately consider red as bad and all. It's a simple thing, but it works really well I find.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

nine-gear crow posted:

Picross! It's Sudoku for crazy sane people.

I agree, Picross is great! I blame FP for getting me addicted like a year and a half ago but I have no regrets.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 23, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Motherfucking god drat Picross. This'll be fun. Also, stupid LP ideas are the best LP ideas.

There always seems to be a point in time fairly regularly where I look at my GCW-Zero, boot up the Game Boy emulator and think "you know what I haven't played in a while? Picross 2. That had really cool puzzles". Then I play it and cry because all the puzzles consist of four 15x15 squares making a 60x60 square, meaning that recognizing a pattern of any kind is really hard before you get to the last quarter, and usually, you don't really get the benefit of actually having nice complete rows to work from. Maybe I should go back to Mario's Picross on the Game Boy, that one was easier.

I got the homework right, though I did bungle it at the start because I saw three complete rows around the rim and one complete row with a hole and my brain just filled that one space in too. Took me a bit to realize where I hosed up. I'm too used to just getting told when I screw up.

Speaking of homework, don't forget to put on some proper Picross music for doing it.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 23, 2017

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Piscross is one of those puzzle games that looks weird until your brain clicks on to how it works and then suddenly it's 5 hours later and you NEED MORE PUZZLES GIVE ME ALL THE PICROSS. It's also super chill.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

This is the best, I love it.

Any chance we could get a soundtrack listing for the videos?

e: I'm not at my computer so I had to do this the old-fashioned way.

MachuPikacchu fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 23, 2017

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Nothing says Picross like Fallen Angel.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well this reminds me that I still haven't completely finished Pokemon Picross

Albis09
Apr 30, 2013

Dead yeti-gain
This is my first actually seeing Picross and how it is played, and it seems fun? I was into Sudokus for a while, so if I get addicted to this I'll blame you Artix.

Here's my thread submission. Doing this was pretty relaxing....I might need more.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

MachuPikacchu posted:

This is the best, I love it.

Any chance we could get a soundtrack listing for the videos?

Unfortunately no, not without some serious digging. The way I did the soundtrack for these videos was I put out a call for music in our discord and told all my idiot friends to give me songs, no matter how unfitting or ridiculous they were, took all of those songs and tossed them in a list, and generated a random sequence of numbers and used the songs in that order. :v:

Plus I wouldn't want to shame anyone, like how novel submitted the Resident Evil Basement theme. That would just be wrong.

Albis09 posted:

This is my first actually seeing Picross and how it is played, and it seems fun? I was into Sudokus for a while, so if I get addicted to this I'll blame you Artix.

Here's my thread submission. Doing this was pretty relaxing....I might need more.

Welcome to the dark side...:unsmigghh:

Artix fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 23, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm happy to see there's already a positive response. The whole thing came around a couple days ago as a joke where I threatened Artix to a Picross fight for some reason. He wasn't even aware that there were co-op Picross games to begin with so the fight was set aside in favor of jolly pictorial cooperation and here we are! Hope you enjoy it.

Here's my answer.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

My personal favorite is CrossMe (and CrossMe Color since I'm a borken human being who accidentally made that typo then decided it makes the point better and left it in). I got them when Amazon had them on their free app thing, but are otherwise 5 bucks each I think.

They keep adding puzzles too so it would be worth the price of admission (usually they time it so I'm just 30 more puzzles from finishing them, just to keep that out of reach.) They've got some big ones, 80x80 for example so I hope you enjoy the pain.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that these new SNES games were coming out even at the end of the N64's life?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nintendo only had the one Picross engine, it seems. Mario Picross and other Gameboy Picross had an identical style to this SNES game, just with a different title screen and stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Carbon dioxide posted:

Nintendo only had the one Picross engine, it seems. Mario Picross and other Gameboy Picross had an identical style to this SNES game, just with a different title screen and stuff.

same with the newer Picross games. Picross e, Pokemon Picross, and Twilight Princess Picross are all the same engine with different theming slapped on top. (ANd pokemon effects)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Someday I'll be the one to prove whether or not Picross P = Picross NP.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I did my homework.

Now I really wish I could play this game myself.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
You just had to provide that link to the online ones, didn't you?! I am going to lose so much time now...

EDIT: And now having watched the video, I have to admit that picross wasn't something I imagined you could make a competitive game out of, but now I kinda want to try that hypothetical 4 player Switch game. Too bad it probably will never happen.

Edvarius fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 24, 2017

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Aw drat yeah, I've been playing Picross for decades. It's probably my favorite puzzle type!

There's a few decent Picross games on Steam if people are interested. I had fun with "Paint it Back!", even though it's too short. There's a free demo if you're wanting to try it out first. And speaking of free, I recently grabbed off of there the free-to-play "Picross Touch" which is so so thus far, being just random patterns seemingly halfway into the official puzzles, but it does also have a creation studio with built-in workshop integration, so there's that. Finally, recently a game called "Pictopix" came out. It's not free so I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard good things.

Also I did the homework. I won't waste bandwidth but it's the same as the others here. I might make more :effort: next time.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Allow me to second Picross Touch on Steam. Hundreds of puzzles, built-in workshop support, and absolutely free to play with no downsides. It can be found here.

Here's my homework as well.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Here's my homework.

I lost it when The Extreme kicked in for the grand unveiling of a goddamn turtle, kudos to whoever submitted that.

E: Oh, and :spergin: technically that was a fax, not a printer.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

I bought Mario's Picross years ago, having little idea what it was beforehand. There were only a few regrets.

Here's my homework.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Oh god I wasted the rest of my day on Picross after seeing this thread, this is headed down a dark path.

I've been a good Picross student today.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
I spent a good chunk of my free time on Picross once when I discovered that site. For everyone who has a 3DS, the Pokemon one is free but starts asking you to pay or grind pretty quickly, but the Zelda one is free if you've ever been to my.nintendo.com (100 1000 platinum coins) and has some non-limited helpful options for beginners. :3:

Here's my homework.

Edit: vvv Oh, thanks, I bought it a while ago and there's not much else to spend them on, so I forgot. I've corrected this post, too. It takes a while to grind towards, then.

Aithon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 24, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Just a correction, the Zelda one on My Nintendo's site is 1000 platinum coins, not 100.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
you are monsters for posting this. monsters. i have done so many puzzles now.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sorry guys, my goat ate my homework.

Can I copy someone's answers please?

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

i love me some motherfucking god drat picross

was back on the original ds when i got hooked, thanks to picross ds

and ive just recently fallen face first back into the bottomless pit that is this game thanks to getting a 3ds from my bro on the cheap and just vacuuming up every picross title i could find on the eshop. also my copy of picross 3d is in the mail and i am super pumped for it

no regrets only picross

e: picross is famous

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 24, 2017

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The next update will be going up tomorrow, but I have a much more exciting announcement for now! Because I'm a lazy gently caress we're going to need a ton of music for this LP, I'm opening submissions up to you, the viewers! Just go :siren: here :siren: and submit 1, 2, as many songs as you like, and I will take literally all of them. No song is too out of tune, too overly dramatic, or too unfitting for this LP. But be warned! Once it's in there, it's in there and it will be used, regardless of whether or not it was a joke.

E: To make my life as easy as possible, please dump a youtube link (or whatever service it's hosted on) rather than "Lost Woods from Link to the Past"!

Artix fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 27, 2017

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Let me also add a quick note to the music bit. Try to avoid songs with lyrics just because, you know, this is an LP and lyrics underneath talking is usually a poor combination.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
That was an hour wasted.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Artix posted:

Once it's in there, it's in there and it will be used, regardless of whether or not it was a joke.
Oh good, this is one of those times I get to use the :magical: smilie.

I definitely have not abused this opportunity already.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Oh, I definitely have. Alright, submitted one calm song, one high energy song, and one obligatory. Like, if I'm the only one who submits it I will be disappointed in all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, you asked for it. Time to go to town on this submission thing.

• Locked thread