Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Guy Mann posted:

It's true, the tens of millions of Star Wars fans are crying into their beers about getting a fun new Star Wars movie evey year now that three middle-aged alcoholic Trekkies are mad about them having too many jokes and minorities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

It's true, the tens of millions of Star Wars fans are crying into their beers about getting a fun new Star Wars movie evey year now that three middle-aged alcoholic Trekkies are mad about them having too many jokes and minorities.

You sound cumped (cucked + stumped).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

steinrokkan posted:

Phantom Menace was bad in an auteur way, it had a style and a heart,

It really did not

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Not contesting 2 and 3 but Phantom Menace was definitely better and more fun than the new trilogy

lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Improbable Lobster posted:

It really did not

It did, you could look at it, and see how George personally made every bit terrible in his own retarded way, like a master poo poo craftsman.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

It did, you could look at it, and see how George personally made every bit terrible in his own retarded way, like a master poo poo craftsman.

Nahh. He spat out a quick first draft on a legal pad, and a bunch of really talented artists created the visuals and sound of the movie. Lucas didn't put a lot of craft into The Phantom Menace

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the phantom menace was better than attack of the clones, but that's not saying much

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nahh. He spat out a quick first draft on a legal pad, and a bunch of really talented artists created the visuals and sound of the movie. Lucas didn't put a lot of craft into The Phantom Menace

Yeah, it was a slapdash effort by a director who didn't realize how much the incredibly skilled crew in the OT mattered to the success of Star Wars. The Phantom Menace is the most 'first draft' film I've ever seen.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I'd rather watch an 'old hack's first draft' film than a 'sixth set of writers' twentieth draft we filtered through a boardroom full of sociopaths to get the blandest possible film' film

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'd rather watch an 'old hack's first draft' film than a 'sixth set of writers' twentieth draft we filtered through a boardroom full of sociopaths to get the blandest possible film' film

I'm sorry that you're Star Wars opinions are wrong friend

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Best of the Worst where the group makes its way through the SOS video is one of the funniest goddamned things I've ever seen.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The part where george lucas is using a sharpie to color in the storyboard reminds me of when you see videos of Kim Jong Un and he has 5 generals following him taking notes whenever he speaks

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
My favorite best of the worst remains the day the discovered XTRO

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Plinketto!

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Space Raiders was one of those movies that was on HBO a LOT when I was a kid, and it used to piss me off that it's basically just recycled footage and music from the much better Corman flick "Battle Beyond The Stars". I wish the RLM guys were better versed in b-movies so they could call out stuff like that.

You know WHY the models look so good? Because they were made by James loving Cameron for an entirely different movie. You know why it sounds like James Horner is cribbing from himself? Because he was, only not in the way you think. Battle Beyond The Stars came out two years before Wrath of Khan.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

My favorite best of the worst remains the day the discovered XTRO

I also really liked that episode. I always thought XTRO was one of those movies every horror/sci-fi fan knew for *that* scene.

Stryder fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 6, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

discount cathouse posted:

JJ Abrams movies are soulless products and critics have a right to hate them, imo. Even if they are technically well made.

Liking or disliking the movie is not my criteria for saying the Star Wars Awakens plinkett review was embarrassing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They probably should've done a Plinkett video about the ring theory, and left the TFA review until after the trilogy was over and they had had some time to see and think about it's place in the bigger picture of Disney Star Wars

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Them being assaulted by direct-to-video movies and educational shorts is definitely the best RLM feature.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
At the very least can we all agree that ring theory is loving hilarious in the context of George Lucas?

Cause every morning I wake up and I pray for the guy who tried to tie ring theory to Star Wars. That's some heavy duty mental gymnastics.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shinjobi posted:

At the very least can we all agree that ring theory is loving hilarious in the context of George Lucas?

Cause every morning I wake up and I pray for the guy who tried to tie ring theory to Star Wars. That's some heavy duty mental gymnastics.

It's the equivalent of praising a novelist because his latest book was divided into paragraphs.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i thought it was totally lame and boring to spend 50 minutes explaining that yes, the prequels are still dumb, in the episode 7 plinkett review. rare miss for these guys

i saw the best of the worst: star wars christmas spec. episode for the first time. not the real one, the one where they just sat around talking poo poo and its all gold, highly recommend

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I need to be told every few years or so that the prequels are still dumb or I wont feel like George Lucas has properly suffered.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Is it possible to talk about RLM without devolving into a Star Wars thread, or is it just mandatory given the Plinkett reviews?

I've been working my way through HITB starting from Episode 1. I'm not entirely sure why. At some point, this resulted in me watching Evil Dead 2013, which was actually pretty alright, so that's cool.

Sdoots fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 22, 2017

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The Jack and Jill 2-part HITB ep is very good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
BotW is pretty much my background music nowadays.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AIDS Moby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
the HitB review of Transformers 4 is my favourite

• Locked thread