Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Red letter media is known for the plinkett star wars reviews, but they make a lot of funny videos about movies - Half in the Bag is their review series.

here is their newest vid, a nerd crew episode with 2(!) crate unboxings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl5UH6EZXIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
This is probably a better place for it, but just use the GBS thread

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I like best of the worst when they do the wheel.

JohnnyC
Jun 8, 2008
i find i only ever tune in to the half in the bag episodes when it's a movie that i've seen that has buzz behind it and i'm conflicted about it. Best of the Worst is fun. I might be more of a Movies with Mikey guy.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
i think they require an absurd time investment so I've never really considered watching one of these

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

that video was hilarious, i encourage everyone to watch it

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I like that goofy Scandinavian youtuber who reviews all the gore and banned films

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Phone posting: RLM is hit or miss. The Plinkett reviews should go in the ducking library of Congress for just how well they d3construct the loving disaster that is the prequels. Beyond that, a lot of the half in the bag episodes alre only good if you've actually seen the movie.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really was not impressed with the Star Wars Awakens review, there was a solid 20 minutes in there that was just Mike going "Young people have different tastes than me! Diversity is bad!"

I'm gonna watch the Rogue One review when the movie hits netflix and I get to see it, and I really hope it's not as embarrassing as that was.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm gonna watch the Rogue One review when the movie hits netflix and I get to see it, and I really hope it's not as embarrassing as that was.
prepare for utter crushing disappointment. they actually moved the goalposts to poo poo on Rogue One by saying that Force Awakens was a good movie

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I really was not impressed with the Star Wars Awakens review, there was a solid 20 minutes in there that was just Mike going "Young people have different tastes than me! Diversity is bad!"

JJ Abrams movies are soulless products and critics have a right to hate them, imo. Even if they are technically well made.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I like RLM and I like their nerdcasts

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Their force awakens and rogue one reviews are pretty good in terms of criticism but the force awakens one goes off on some tangent about some stupid fan theory for the prequels that nobody cares about.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

discount cathouse posted:

JJ Abrams movies are soulless products and critics have a right to hate them, imo. Even if they are technically well made.
there's this good blog post about Abrams that i can't find for the life of me, but it came out after Force Awakens. it said that he's Hollywood's idea of a great movie director even though he's as safe and unspectacular as they come

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Force Awakens is very good and JJ is a very good director. Him being successful and popular doesn't detract from that. If I had a criticism of him it would be that he needs to associate with better writers.

Disney knew what they were doing when they got him and he was probably the only real choice.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I would say TFA was well made and well directed but that it sucked

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it was pretty good, imo. idk if it was as good as jj trek (2009) but it was good.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The Force Awakens and Rogue One are about as bad overall as any of the prequels but for very different reasons.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

discount cathouse posted:

Red letter media is known for the plinkett star wars reviews, but they make a lot of funny videos about movies - Half in the Bag is their review series.

here is their newest vid, a nerd crew episode with 2(!) crate unboxings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl5UH6EZXIM

These guys really need to get a grip.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only good Star Wars movie is the first one because the ship models were pretty cool and it had pretty good sound effects. The only reason they exist as monoliths of culture for decades is ads and merchandising.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Space Cop was worse than the entire Star Wars prequel trilogy put together.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
HITB's are good when they are discussing smaller movies and not the big blockbusters, because what more can you say about every Superhero movie coming out without progressively coming off more like an old man who hates these movies are made to make tons of cash.

I really enjoy their Re:view series, never heard about True Stories even though I like Talking Heads and David Byrne

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

In Training posted:

The only good Star Wars movie is the first one because the ship models were pretty cool and it had pretty good sound effects. The only reason they exist as monoliths of culture for decades is ads and merchandising.

Return of the Jedi's third act- the throne room stuff in particular- is probably the highlight of the series IMHO. That being said the first one definitely has the most interesting production history- It's cool that at one point Star Wars was expected, by most, to be some bad B movie sci fi box office dud.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The Nerd Crew videos are some of the best stuff they have ever done.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

try the new taco place posted:

i think they require an absurd time investment so I've never really considered watching one of these

Me too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The Force Awakens and Rogue One are about as bad overall as any of the prequels but for very different reasons.

Nah, they're actually really good and I would rate both over Return of the Jedi but below A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

mallratcal posted:

This proto-Nerd Crew thing was good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6seIQ8rLp8

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

mallratcal posted:

tose are hilarious

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

A White Guy posted:

Phone posting: RLM is hit or miss. The Plinkett reviews should go in the ducking library of Congress for just how well they d3construct the loving disaster that is the prequels. Beyond that, a lot of the half in the bag episodes alre only good if you've actually seen the movie.

I respectfully disagree friend I never watch the movies and always find half in the bag to be a bright spot in an otherwise dismal life.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Pneub posted:

This proto-Nerd Crew thing was good too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6seIQ8rLp8

And also, Nerd Talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0C_Dnt7k_0

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lurdiak posted:

naw, the real problem with their Force Awakens review is that they didn't spend enough time talking about how terrible the ending was

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't really care if their critique of the new SW is fair or in good faith, I just want to see SW fans' tears flood the world.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Not contesting 2 and 3 but Phantom Menace was definitely better and more fun than the new trilogy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pod racing was pretty cool

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Phantom Menace was bad in an auteur way, it had a style and a heart, even though it was a diseased, heinous heart that should have been aborted. The new films are just generic.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The awkward and retarded earnesty of the prequels is retroactively more endearing when compared to the soulless cynicism and shallow mediocrity of the Disney movies.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

I don't really care if their critique of the new SW is fair or in good faith, I just want to see SW fans' tears flood the world.

It's true, the tens of millions of Star Wars fans are crying into their beers about getting a fun new Star Wars movie evey year now that three middle-aged alcoholic Trekkies are mad about them having too many jokes and minorities.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I don't know if anything could ever make attack of the clones endearing to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guy Mann posted:

It's true, the tens of millions of Star Wars fans are crying into their beers about getting a fun new Star Wars movie evey year now that three middle-aged alcoholic Trekkies are mad about them having too many jokes and minorities.

Yes, but unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I always thought I agreed more with Jay than with Mike, but in the 2016 Movie Catch-up, Jay said that The Lobster was good and I don't think I can ever agree with Jay on anything ever again.

• Locked thread