Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

i think he will go down in history OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Privilegist
Jan 13, 2017
How much of his killing of foreigners was because he lusted for Muslim death, and how much was it because he was trying to appease the far right and avoid large(r) scale white domestic terrorism/a military coup/an authoritarian despot successor (oops). Have to imagine Republicans gave him a quota of foreigners he had to kill each day in order to prevent the right from calling for outright insurrection. The MIC is a rabid dog, and Obama was the last relatively sane person to hold the leash. Cool that we can at least visit historic Communist Cuba for a little bit before it gets annexed Crimea style and becomes half prisons and half beach front Trump hotels.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
hes got a p nice rear end

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I'm not gonna call the dude a spineless coward, but I will say that I'm pissed we got a uninspired bureaucratic manager instead of the grand visionary that was promised by his 08 campaign.
What was it that chapo called him? 'THe slightly left of center technocratic manager of the american empire' something like that. also what other people have said, spineless feckless little bitch who basically helped precipitate a global authoritarian death spiral because hes a cambridge liberal without the FDR sized force of personality that'd be necessary to dismantle the surveillance state and even make the slightest attempt to resist the looming tide of fascism. its not his fault that white america went ballistic cause he happened to be black but everything else is. also yeah, best president we've had in years but still an awful president. killed lots of pakistanis and gave JSOC basically free reign over the entire planet.

but worst of all its loving insufferable attempting to communicate any of this to liberals and idk why i bother other than that everyone i know is basically a liberal. i legitimately think the world would be in a much better place if lloyd blankenfein and jamie diamon etc had been hanged drawn and quartered in zuccotti park but im a crazy person so w/e

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

also lol that guy on the right knows hes getting presidentially cucked

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just glad that Obama wasn't president during the Truman era because you KNOW he would have dropped a ton of atom bombs on Korea

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The most amazing thing about Obama is that I think he actually believed all the stupid poo poo that other US politicians reflexively say to keep their constituents in line. Like, I think Obama actually believed in the need to control deficits, or the rightness of American foreign policy, or the importance of bipartisanship. I think he actually believed his advisers that stabilizing Wall Street and making a few prudent technocratic reforms would actually fix the economy. He was also a morally compromised and it's implausible he made it through the Chicago political machine without being genuinely corrupt on some level but I think he was fundamentally a guy who thought that despite all his compromises that he was fighting for that Steven Spielberg vision of America you get in high school civics, and that eventually people would come around to his view and that after his policies worked (because he actually thought neoliberal economics would work) that he'd be vindicated.

All of which puts him in the running for biggest loving moron to ever sit in the Oval Office. Fratboy George Duya and literally senile former actor Reagan might not have talked as fancy but even they weren't that naive.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
a missed opportunity in the sense that he would have made a better president if he ran in 2016 or 2020 rather than 2008

the precursor to Trump because of the disappointment with him

the failed reformer, who meant well, did do something for the American people but it wasn't enough

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

funny way to spell posted:

better than Bernie

at destroying the democratic party

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope
tricked a lot of gullible idiots into thinking he was going to go fight for whatever lib jerkoff cause was hot at the moment

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Typo posted:

a missed opportunity in the sense that he would have made a better president if he ran in 2016 or 2020 rather than 2008

the precursor to Trump because of the disappointment with him

the failed reformer, who meant well, did do something for the American people but it wasn't enough

Well if you wanted to see what an Obama campaign in 2020 would look like then good news cause Corey Booker is gonna run.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
yeah run and get his poo poo pushed in, cant wait. and maybe neither can he lol.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

mods, please rename this thread to the obama hot take thread.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

We didn't go backwards really and that's something I miss already

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

White Privilegist posted:

How much of his killing of foreigners was because he lusted for Muslim death, and how much was it because he was trying to appease the far right and avoid large(r) scale white domestic terrorism/a military coup/an authoritarian despot successor (oops). Have to imagine Republicans gave him a quota of foreigners he had to kill each day in order to prevent the right from calling for outright insurrection. The MIC is a rabid dog, and Obama was the last relatively sane person to hold the leash. Cool that we can at least visit historic Communist Cuba for a little bit before it gets annexed Crimea style and becomes half prisons and half beach front Trump hotels.

This would make sense if he didn't champion a robust military intervention in Syria while Republicans were like "noooooo what the gently caress are you doing?!?!"

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
his failure to personally rip up the constitution and implement full communism now means he is a personal enemy to me, along with the op

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

VikingSkull posted:

This would make sense if he didn't champion a robust military intervention in Syria while Republicans were like "noooooo what the gently caress are you doing?!?!"

Wow, your parallel universe's Obama was a lot different!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Wow, your parallel universe's Obama was a lot different!

quote:

“I’m prepared to give that order,” Mr. Obama said in a hurriedly organized appearance in the Rose Garden as American destroyers armed with Tomahawk missiles waited in the Mediterranean Sea. “But having made my decision as commander in chief based on what I am convinced is our national security interests, I’m also mindful that I’m the president of the world’s oldest constitutional democracy.”

Although Congressional leaders hailed his decision to seek the permission of lawmakers who had been clamoring for a say, the turnabout leaves Mr. Obama at the political mercy of House Republicans, many of whom have opposed him at every turn and have already suggested that Syria’s civil war does not pose a threat to the United States. His decision raises the possibility that he would be the first president in modern times to lose a vote on the use of force, much as Prime Minister David Cameron of Britain did in Parliament last week.

Mr. Obama overruled the advice of many of his aides who worried about just such a defeat, and Republican Congressional officials said Saturday that if a vote were taken immediately, the Republican-controlled House would not support action. Interviews with more than a dozen members of Congress made clear that the situation was volatile even in the Senate, where Democrats have a majority.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/01/world/middleeast/syria.html

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bombama.

White Privilegist
Jan 13, 2017

VikingSkull posted:

Republicans generally aren't fans of supporting proletarian revolutions.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

White Privilegist posted:

Republicans generally aren't fans of supporting proletarian revolutions.

bwahahahaha

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

*extremely serious leftist voice* thank god the republicans intervened to stop that terrible warmonger obama

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That supermajority contained Blue Dogs who were functionally Republicans when it came to implementing Obama's agenda in the House, and it effectively didn't exist in the Senate due to obstruction in getting Franken actually into his seat and Kennedy's downward health spiral.

I mean sure Obama deserves a lot of blame for foolishly thinking he'd be able to work out any sort of meaningful compromise agenda with an opposition which baldly promised that it's only desire was to ruin everything and anything he held dear, as well as the rightist weasels in his own party, but it's not like he could have actually just rode over them all had he wanted to.
That's a bullshit cop out, it was Obama's responsibility, as leader of his party, to pull the rest of his party in line, by hook or by crook. Parties aren't hippie love fests, there are things the leadership can do to backbenchers if they don't want to follow the party line, and Obama should have used every single tool in his arsenal to gently caress them over until they complied - intimidation, threats, etc.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

republicans claiming to be on the exact opposite side of an issue that Obama worked on? wow!!!!!!!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Fullhouse posted:

republicans claiming to be on the exact opposite side of an issue that Obama worked on? wow!!!!!!!

lol remember that time Romney had to disown and condemn his most significant policy achievement as Massachusetts governor because Obama tried to implement it nationwide

good-rear end times

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

VikingSkull posted:

bwahahahaha

good av + post combo

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

C. Everett Koop posted:

his failure to personally rip up the constitution and implement full communism now means he is a personal enemy to me, along with the op

What could have been:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

What could have been:

Now that's the president I voted for. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rudatron posted:

That's a bullshit cop out, it was Obama's responsibility, as leader of his party, to pull the rest of his party in line, by hook or by crook. Parties aren't hippie love fests, there are things the leadership can do to backbenchers if they don't want to follow the party line, and Obama should have used every single tool in his arsenal to gently caress them over until they complied - intimidation, threats, etc.

remember when joe lieberman actively campaigned for McCain in 2008, and then the dems let him keep his committee chairmanships because they were afraid he'd go caucus with the Republicans instead?

and this guy was Gore's VP pick

• Locked thread