Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

themrguy posted:

SA has like an entire constellation of offsite filled with banned people of one political persuasion or another, including one that was alt-right before alt right was really a thing. Its not insane to think they'd be going after a poster here they disliked, although I don't know that persons specifics, so maybe they are just abrasive.

Its kinda weird to see people dismissing this as tinfoil crazytalk. One of the things this election showed was the effectiveness of these tactics.
You're seriously underestimating the willingness of individual goons to read a ridiculous amount of posts and reflexively call other goons they don't like idiots.

Also "Mainly GBS posting goons who occasionally enter D&D call D&D posting superstar dumb in D&D" is a really pathetic conspiracy.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Kingfish posted:

SA is actually the perfect platform for off site attacks.

E: the only reason we don't do it is because Lowtax says we aren't allowed.

An oft-forgotten chapter in this boards early history is that the reason Lowtax expressly forbids SA from organizing attacks on other websites is because we were one of the very first communities to do so and many of the tactics that are in current use in the broader internet were first developed here. Organizing offsite attacks was one of the major sources for comedy in the early days of this forum and "Goonrushing" a website used to refer to organized trolling just as much as it referred to crashing a small website with unexpected traffic.

As you can imagine though this practice attracted nasty pieces of work who just wanted to hurt people and caused stupid amounts of drama both publicly and behind the scens as Lowtax dealt with the fallout. So he banned organized offsite trolling. Much as there was a wave of Goons who migrated from SA to 4chan after pedo manga/anime was banned, there was a similar but smaller wave of Goons that migrated over to 4chan after offsite trolling (and later Helldumping) was banned.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

I honestly think Eripsa's one of the brightest posters on this board.

And sockpuppetry is /definitely/ a thing.

As someone who has been surrounded by the gifted his entire life. I'm pretty sure Eripsa is. But most who test more than a couple standard deviations above the mean are ... off. The best advice my parents were given was "he will be interested in what he is interested in and making him care about anything else will be near impossible"

What I've found personally is that surrounding myself with people who will tell me when I'm full of poo poo is vital.

Regarding the sock puppetry, it hit in conjunction with the renaming thread, Hillary toxxes, and re-regs. I've had a hard time keeping track of who is who and already got lovely at someone who didn't deserve it, as I was mixing posters up.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

Prester Jane posted:

An oft-forgotten chapter in this boards early history is that the reason Lowtax expressly forbids SA from organizing attacks on other websites is because we were one of the very first communities to do so and many of the tactics that are in current use in the broader internet were first developed here. Organizing offsite attacks was one of the major sources for comedy in the early days of this forum and "Goonrushing" a website used to refer to organized trolling just as much as it referred to crashing a small website with unexpected traffic.

As you can imagine though this practice attracted nasty pieces of work who just wanted to hurt people and caused stupid amounts of drama both publicly and behind the scens as Lowtax dealt with the fallout. So he banned organized offsite trolling. Much as there was a wave of Goons who migrated from SA to 4chan after pedo manga/anime was banned, there was a similar but smaller wave of Goons that migrated over to 4chan after offsite trolling (and later Helldumping) was banned.

Ahh yes I remember those days. When I first signed up here, registration was free and DPPH and nmp3 were the draws. Man those two forums were f'ing dank. But I recall the "ops" to attack other sites or start crazy rumors, etc.

That's why I've always looked at Reddit and 4chan as redheaded step children of SA, which since both were founded a few years after SA, in a way they are. Except the step children became bigger than the stepfather and more idiots populate them and know about them. I feel like the :10bux: has kept a fair number of the riff raff out.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

blowfish posted:

Also "Mainly GBS posting goons who occasionally enter D&D call D&D posting superstar dumb in D&D" is a really pathetic conspiracy.

That's pretty much what it boils down to.

Keeping track of individual goon drama is such a chore to begin with, too. It's a lot of work with little payoff.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

Keeping track of individual goon drama is such a chore to begin with, too. It's a lot of work with little payoff.

Perhaps someone should create a wiki documenting said drama. The Encyclopedia of Drama, or ED, we'll call it. Surely such a site will be nothing but a social good.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

So what you're saying is it's the gooniest thing to do.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

MarksMan posted:

Ahh yes I remember those days. When I first signed up here, registration was free and DPPH and nmp3 were the draws. Man those two forums were f'ing dank. But I recall the "ops" to attack other sites or start crazy rumors, etc.

That's why I've always looked at Reddit and 4chan as redheaded step children of SA, which since both were founded a few years after SA, in a way they are. Except the step children became bigger than the stepfather and more idiots populate them and know about them. I feel like the :10bux: has kept a fair number of the riff raff out.

A huge portion of "internet culture" started here it's kind of weird. Memes (and the drat impact font), invasions. 4chan was founded by a 15 year old goon, etc. Good moderation has made a massive difference. SA couldn't easily have gone down a dark path.

It used to be you'd make a fake link and show people goatse.
Then it became a Rick Astley video and I was like "wow the internet is way tamer than it used to be"
NOPE FULL WHITE NATIONALISM.
(and seriously, Russia has contributed to this in a serious way. They've trolled in favor of nationalists all over the world for a while now)

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Spite posted:

A huge portion of "internet culture" started here it's kind of weird. Memes (and the drat impact font), invasions. 4chan was founded by a 15 year old goon, etc. Good moderation has made a massive difference. SA couldn't easily have gone down a dark path.

Then it became a Rick Astley video and I was like "wow the internet is way tamer than it used to be"
(and seriously, Russia has contributed to this in a serious way. They've trolled in favor of nationalists all over the world for a while now)

SA's moderation combined with :10bux: has done a solid job of keeping the forums from devolving into hateful cesspools.

It also makes us a terrible target for organized government trolling, on top of the fact that we aren't near as wide reaching as Facebook, Twitter, etc. Why waste money registering here when there's so many free options?

And speaking of Russia, I wonder if any of the FBI/whatever IC acronym investigation will get into that. They are explicitly looking into how Russia was trying to influence our election, and I wonder just how many online political zealots are Russian trolls.

Terrible English writing skills, complete lack of US historical/cultural knowledge, and conspiracy level idiocy would not be a red flag for any MAGA poster.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Aren't we all, in our heart of hearts, farting and scared?

Fear makes you pass gas, a well known fact. Therefore all of our hearts explode on a regular basis. True fact.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Uglycat posted:

I honestly think Eripsa's one of the brightest posters on this board.

My God that's sad.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

My God that's sad.

ERIPSA is really smart in a particular way, IMO.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want to hear about the dog who got doxxed

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

RasperFat posted:

SA's moderation combined with :10bux: has done a solid job of keeping the forums from devolving into hateful cesspools.

It also makes us a terrible target for organized government trolling, on top of the fact that we aren't near as wide reaching as Facebook, Twitter, etc. Why waste money registering here when there's so many free options?
Even if true, $10 can't possibly be the thing stopping a government from taking over SA. It claims to have < 200k users. Any organization could trivially double the user base for < 2 million USD, that's noise to any serious campaign. (The reason no one spends 2 million dollars to take over SA is because taking over SA doesn't accomplish anything, not that 2 million dollars is some crazy unheard amount of money)

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

There are absolutely organized right-wing trolling/inciting groups posting on other large forums and comments sections, either from Reddit/4chan or actually paid by the Kremlin (the pay is terrible). They just aren't happening here.

The online counter-culture has shifted over the past several years. Before, the rising star of the Internet was nerds. Now it's Nazis.

How about Antifa? You think only the right wingers are trolling? I mean, maybe the left-leaning idiots aren't even trolling, they might just be that stupid. But thinking that only the right wing is trolling is something really retarded. Also, just because some people don't share your opinions/ are actively against your opinions doesn't mean that they're trolling, it just means they disagree with you. And to be fair, the left is looking like a bunch of loving idiots this time around. I was a leftie before, but now leaning center/right, just because of how loving corrupt and frankly, stupid, the leftists are. The left doesn't like war, or inequality etc., or so they say. Yet the leftist candidate was Hillary loving Clinton. I lost all hope with the left during this election cycle. Maybe you guys will get your poo poo together, but it sure doesn't seem like it, with your antifa and blatant hatespeech towards anyone who dared vote or support Trump. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

twodot posted:

Even if true, $10 can't possibly be the thing stopping a government from taking over SA. It claims to have < 200k users. Any organization could trivially double the user base for < 2 million USD, that's noise to any serious campaign. (The reason no one spends 2 million dollars to take over SA is because taking over SA doesn't accomplish anything, not that 2 million dollars is some crazy unheard amount of money)

They could try "taking over" SA, sure, but do you think people wouldn't notice? It would just do them more harm than good. You can also harm yourself with propaganda. People aren't (that) stupid.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

They could try "taking over" SA, sure, but do you think people wouldn't notice? It would just do them more harm than good. You can also harm yourself with propaganda. People aren't (that) stupid.
What does "notice" mean? Would people notice that SA was full of terrible people they didn't like? Very possibly. Would people notice the terrible people they don't like are a deliberate effort by a state level actor? Only if that actor is an idiot. Even if people noticed that these were the efforts of a state level actor, could they do anything other than flee to increasingly irrelevant spin offs? Of course not.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

twodot posted:

What does "notice" mean? Would people notice that SA was full of terrible people they didn't like? Very possibly. Would people notice the terrible people they don't like are a deliberate effort by a state level actor? Only if that actor is an idiot. Even if people noticed that these were the efforts of a state level actor, could they do anything other than flee to increasingly irrelevant spin offs? Of course not.

Paid trolls tend to be pretty monomaniacal because they ain't getting paid to whinge about Doctor Who for 690 posts to build credibility. It's just wham-bam, Russia ain't so bad.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

BarbarianElephant posted:

Paid trolls tend to be pretty monomaniacal because they ain't getting paid to whinge about Doctor Who for 690 posts to build credibility. It's just wham-bam, Russia ain't so bad.
I addressed this, didn't I? Let's suppose the SA attack group of the propaganda wing of whatever organization is just so full of idiots they were completely ignorant of an issue that a SA forums poster was openly talking about. If 90% of SA posts are monomaniacal nonsense (edit: this is arguably already the case), what are you going to do, other than start posting on an even less relevant site, which would be even easier and cheaper to take over if anyone cared to?

twodot fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 30, 2017

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

wateroverfire posted:

ERIPSA is really smart in a particular way, IMO.

For anyone who wants to get the gifted/talented thing look at the Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Childern series. The author went to a school in Sarasota County called Pineview School for the Gifted for a while. Think of Eripsa as a peculiar.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

twodot posted:

increasingly irrelevant spin offs? Of course not.

hey now, the rhizzone, somethingsensitive, and mypostingcareer are perfectly relevant and sane forums :colbert:

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

cool people posted:

their cool thoughts

hey maybe we could have a march against fascism!

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

twodot posted:

Well I don't think there's been a concerted effort by a government to take over the narrative on SA. I think the modding, that you have to pay to register, and that our community isn't that big compared to most social media platforms makes it a highly inefficient target.

2 Million dollars could buy you literally millions of twitter followers, hundreds of thousands of fake Facebook accounts, etc. It already appears as though about half of Trump's twitter following is fake or bots.

Taking that same money to SA could probably only pay to register a few tens of thousands of accounts that are likely to be probated/banned/permabanned rather quickly and would be stuck on an insular community nerds. We would be a stupid waste of money for propaganda/troll campaigns.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Stockholm Syndrome posted:

How about Antifa? You think only the right wingers are trolling? I mean, maybe the left-leaning idiots aren't even trolling, they might just be that stupid. But thinking that only the right wing is trolling is something really retarded. Also, just because some people don't share your opinions/ are actively against your opinions doesn't mean that they're trolling, it just means they disagree with you. And to be fair, the left is looking like a bunch of loving idiots this time around. I was a leftie before, but now leaning center/right, just because of how loving corrupt and frankly, stupid, the leftists are. The left doesn't like war, or inequality etc., or so they say. Yet the leftist candidate was Hillary loving Clinton. I lost all hope with the left during this election cycle. Maybe you guys will get your poo poo together, but it sure doesn't seem like it, with your antifa and blatant hatespeech towards anyone who dared vote or support Trump. You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Ah yes, "being against fascism" - surely a sign that the person is trolling because no one could ever seriously hold such an opinion. Wanna see the so-called "former leftist" who turned "centrist" (yeah, right) because the left was too mean to neo-Nazis.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Spite posted:

I think staying (relatively) small has helped a lot too. People don't realize how much time good moderation takes, and it doesn't scale up well: you need more moderators per user the larger your userbase is, because there's overhead time discussing policies, coordinating, ensuring consistency, etc.

The ten dollar fee doesn't just keep out the chaff, it also keeps the site much easier to moderate by keeping it small.

And yeah twitter is full of organized Russian trolling. Almost all of the "Bernie Bro" harassment trolls turned out to be bots.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

And yeah twitter is full of organized Russian trolling. Almost all of the "Bernie Bro" harassment trolls turned out to be bots.

Do you have any more information on this? I'm curious.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

Ah yes, "being against fascism" - surely a sign that the person is trolling because no one could ever seriously hold such an opinion. Wanna see the so-called "former leftist" who turned "centrist" (yeah, right) because the left was too mean to neo-Nazis.

There's being against fascism, and "being against fascism" in a dumb way that even if its earnest, its indistinguishable from false flagging and should be treated as such.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The ten dollar fee doesn't just keep out the chaff, it also keeps the site much easier to moderate by keeping it small.

And it gives users a stake which allows them to be essentially fined $10 if they break rules. You can't just troll and re-reg like in other sites because it costs you $10.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Do you have any more information on this? I'm curious.

http://shareblue.com/watching-the-hearings-i-learned-my-bernie-bro-harassers-may-have-been-russian-bots/

It can't be proven but it seems very likely.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

I've known about the Russian bots on twitter but has anyone found out how badly Facebook was hit?

Facebook is the source of news for 44% of American adults now. They just read whatever is linked to them by friends or in the algorithm feed. "Fake news" that was actually fake was driven up by bots and spread like wildfire.

My big fear is that they have infected too many young people who thought, and still think, that MSM is all "fake" and are caught up permanently in the propaganda echo chamber. It seemed like the youngest generation was lining up to be the most progressive, I just hope this doesn't continue to fester and break the brains of millions in a new generation.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

Fine, I'll be specific it really seemed like Tiny Brontosaurus was being gone after in an organized way.

Bit late to this but I'm curious about your reasoning here. Can you really discern an organized conspiracy against a poster that has given the forum so many legit reasons to dislike them? They get probed so much because they're a bad poster, having correct opinions doesn't make up for that. I'd suspect TB of being a Louise Mensch-style plant designed to make us look utterly unreasonable if I didn't already know about her Slashie days.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Can you really discern an organized conspiracy against a poster that has given the forum so many legit reasons to dislike them?

After the election we had an influx of new faces. Some of them tremendous shits heads. I couldn't even keep track of who was who. Personally I only blew up at one (well if I'm honest two) person unnecessarily, because I confused them with someone else (who truly deserved it). There was an awful lot of unbelievable bullshit in the feminism thread and the negrotown thread. Some of it was overt and vile. Some of it was subtle and poisonous. Not all of it was directed her way. A couple of other posters seemed to be targeted too. It was not contained to those threads ( same poo poo heads too).

More recently many of these posters, are being seen as and called out as poo poo heads widely. I'm not sure if they are organized.

People who are angry give a poo poo. I'd be pretty goddamn angry if even half of that had been pointed at me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Post-election D&D was a cesspit but the poster in question was like that long before and will likely remain so long after. After a while it becomes a chicken and the egg scenario and pondering it an exercise in futility. Letting proven bad actors shelter behind "righteous anger" does a disservice to their cause.

I don't know about the rest of the forum but in this one instance you can rest easy, I think.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RasperFat posted:

complete lack of US historical/cultural knowledge, and conspiracy level idiocy would not be a red flag for any MAGA poster.

These apply to a lot of the people in the Trump thread too.

Main Paineframe posted:

You're acting like the thread doesn't constantly flip poo poo whenever the proud boys come up but love to jerk themselves into a frenzy about antifa and how loving great political violence is as long as it's my side doing it

you could honestly make an entire thread discussing how secular USPOL has gotten and how bad the tribalism has become, and how a lot of people have stopped looking at themselves as a unified nation in favor of small little blocs of us vs them

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

These apply to a lot of the people in the Trump thread too.

You're acting like the thread doesn't constantly flip poo poo whenever the proud boys come up but love to jerk themselves into a frenzy about antifa and how loving great political violence is as long as it's my side doing it

you could honestly make an entire thread discussing how secular USPOL has gotten and how bad the tribalism has become, and how a lot of people have stopped looking at themselves as a unified nation in favor of small little blocs of us vs them

You're the first person to mention "proud boys" (lol) itt.

BrandorKP posted:

After the election we had an influx of new faces. Some of them tremendous shits heads. I couldn't even keep track of who was who. Personally I only blew up at one (well if I'm honest two) person unnecessarily, because I confused them with someone else (who truly deserved it). There was an awful lot of unbelievable bullshit in the feminism thread and the negrotown thread. Some of it was overt and vile. Some of it was subtle and poisonous. Not all of it was directed her way. A couple of other posters seemed to be targeted too. It was not contained to those threads ( same poo poo heads too).

More recently many of these posters, are being seen as and called out as poo poo heads widely. I'm not sure if they are organized.

People who are angry give a poo poo. I'd be pretty goddamn angry if even half of that had been pointed at me.

It's gbs. Your one stop shop for weekly lena dunham and tgrs threads. It's real bad. There are creepy off sites but they're mostly populated by the same weirdo reregs in gbs anyway.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent
Outside of some talk about how they could theoretically turn into a breeding ground for Elliot Rogers types in the future I've only ever seen anyone bring up the Proud Boys to lol at them. Because they're loving hilarious until one of them bombs a mosque.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I haven't poked my head into Gbs for years, I should probably go see how bad is gotten.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

how loving great political violence is as long as it's my side doing it

This is true though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

This is true though.

Everyone can agree that someone else would be the best/least bad target for political violence. Kill all humans.

• Locked thread