Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which is funny because there are many Mohicans alive today, and Chingachcook ain't the last of 'em. (The Mohicans are based on the Mahicans and Mohegan people, who are both Algonquian)
Not to be confused with the Mohawks, who are Iroquois, and liked to have wars with the Algonquin people for years.

this is the kind of information i'm looking for folks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
is this movie good

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Pops and I would watch this movie all the time. P sure he still watches it once a month.

It's a good movie

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which is funny because there are many Mohicans alive today, and Chingachcook ain't the last of 'em. (The Mohicans are based on the Mahicans and Mohegan people, who are both Algonquian)
Not to be confused with the Mohawks, who are Iroquois, and liked to have wars with the Algonquin people for years.

Another interesting historical tidbit: Cooper reversed the loyalties of various indian tribes during the French and Indian Wars. In the real world, Chingachgook (as an Algonquin), would have been fighting for the French!

He did that to make the "good guys" all fight on the same team: the Algonquin stayed on the French -- aka American -- side during the revolutionary war, which was still remembered in Cooper's time. But in the books the british are also the good guys: heyward isn't a giant rear end in a top hat like the movie, he's the one who gets the girl! Cooper was a rich anglophile, and was hanging out with a british Earl when he came up with the book.

Cooperstown, aka the scenic upstate NY town with the baseball hall of fame, was built by James Fenimore Cooper's father on a huge chunk of land confiscated from Iroquois tribes who had been loyal to the British during the revolution.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

holy poo poo this thread just got real, thanks forums user Klyith for that rad rear end update :readingrainbow:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

nomadologique posted:

a theater here had a midnight showing of alien on friday but ehre's the kicker it was the director's cut

gently caress no we won't go.

It's bullshit that it's marketed as the director's cut given that it is not actually the director's cut.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Ben Stiller show - Mohican Master Treadmill sketch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmHm79QY1X0

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Magua was a loving badass and Wes Studi is a cool actor.

"Magua will eat his heart, but before that I will put the greyhair's children under the knife so that he knows his seed is wiped from the earth forever."

:black101:

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
He was an oilman who went by the affectation of "Daniel Plainview".

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Fiend posted:

He was an oilman who went by the affectation of "Daniel Plainview".

his name was actually Jurgis Rudkus, and he worked meat in Chicago.

SAustria
Jul 25, 2007
Great movie, perfect soundtrack.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hardawn posted:

his name was actually Jurgis Rudkus, and he worked meat in Chicago.

I love a man that can work meat

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*
Since half this forum is Finnish anyway, there's always the Finnish Indian Society

http://www.intiaaniyhdistys.net/ajankohtaista.htm

Yes, this exists. :3:

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

it al;ways takes me two or three sittings to finish my indian, which is great bc it's like 5$ more expensive than other takeout on average

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Klyith posted:

He did that to make the "good guys" all fight on the same team: the Algonquin stayed on the French -- aka American -- side during the revolutionary war, which was still remembered in Cooper's time. But in the books the british are also the good guys: heyward isn't a giant rear end in a top hat like the movie, he's the one who gets the girl! Cooper was a rich anglophile, and was hanging out with a british Earl when he came up with the book.

I was also very surprised at the relationship between Cora and Hawkeye in the movie because after reading the book I was sure it was Uncas who was tapping that.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

It's bullshit that it's marketed as the director's cut given that it is not actually the director's cut.

just looked into this and that is weird and evil marketing nonsense, glad to know ridley scott prefers the original aka masterpiece of psychological suspense

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Honky Dong Country posted:

Magua was a loving badass and Wes Studi is a cool actor.

"Magua will eat his heart, but before that I will put the greyhair's children under the knife so that he knows his seed is wiped from the earth forever."

:black101:

Wes should have been Tonto.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

the last mohican, seen here in traditional tribal headdress and with traditional weapons (cleaver and machete), preparing for skirmish with neighboring clan

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

nomadologique posted:

the last mohican, seen here in traditional tribal headdress and with traditional weapons (cleaver and machete), preparing for skirmish with neighboring clan

I think it's pretty disingenuous to conflate Hawkeye with Tom Cruse's character in The Last Samurai, but I understand it having seen the movie and it's marketing.

I've only read Cooper's The Last Mohican and The Prairie but I feel he did a decent job portraying them as human beings and not mystical natives. It was pretty easy for me to recognize while reading the novel that the only reason I considered Chingachgook and Natty to be the heroes is because I bought into the Anglican narrative. Magua was loving awesome even if he was the bad guy and I can respect that which is a lot more than Mark Twain can say even if he had some solid burns on Cooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

goddamn guys i really respect the effort and sincerity you're bringing to thsi thread :911:

• Locked thread