Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Millstone posted:

don2 on November 30, 2007 21:16 sez:

Who the hell are you to be the judge of this guy's face??

That is a REAL person you are picking on. How would you feel if someone said those sorts of things about you. This is a person with feelings who can't help looking the way he looks?

I am not going to unsubscribe I am just bringing out a YELLOW CARD warning for now.

this was unironically my reaction to that link

my card is yellow with stripes though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Shaggar posted:

i think at the point that VS becomes more viable over ISE you probably should just be writing c#

eh, i use vs because most of my ps scripts are build related and I'm already in there so why switch editors.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
the nerds are lining up around the block at moscone for this. either that or some google thing

*e* nope it's the google thing. lol nobody cares about microsoft

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

My Linux Rig posted:

that website is like the library of Alexandria, when it tanks devs will lose like 90% of their knowledge

i sometimes wish it would all burn down so that people stop following bad advice from 7 years ago

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Doc Block posted:

LOL visual studio 2017 is still a 32-bit-only program

yeah lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

CrazyLittle posted:

the nerds are lining up around the block at moscone for this. either that or some google thing

*e* nope it's the google thing. lol nobody cares about microsoft

lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

no, eg restrict isn't in c++. can't comment on whether it's a dumb line to draw, that's probably a question of logistics and business for the MSVC compiler team.

it's a goddamn dumb line to draw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Potassium Problems posted:

did you ever see the blog post justifying it?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2012/06/05/a-design-with-all-caps/

my favorite is "1) to keep Visual Studio consistent with the direction of other Microsoft user experiences". I can't think of any other app that had all caps menu titles, must have ditched that UX path pretty quickly, even Azure portal doesn't seem to have them anymore

Microsoft could have done a revised Win32 application framework for .NET and then used that in Visual Studio and all their other applications and had a moderately consistent human interface, you know like they did in 1995 with Windows 95 and Office 95 and Visual C++ 4 and whatever version Visual BASIC was at the time

instead, not long after they shipped Windows XP, they just gave up completely and decided to not only let each and every one of their applications do its own thing but actually force every application to do a bunch of styling by not providing a decent "just like the OS" baseline for their various attempts at .NET interface frameworks

and having a consistent look & feel with a UI framework that enables it has been the first lesson in Platform Management 101 since 1983

• Locked thread