Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the best ide in the world just got better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
how so

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well theres a new one

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
"We've improved IntelliSense performance on projects and files not using precompiled headers – an Automatic Precompiled Header will be created for headers in the current file."

sweet

edit "We've added error filtering and help for IntelliSense errors in the error list. Clicking on the error column now allows for filtering. Also, clicking on the specific errors or pressing F1 will launch an online search for the error message."

hey cool they're catering to my dumb rear end

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i'm excited.

unfortunately my windows machine blue screens on restart now.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

closest launch event is in akron ohio... how could they forget pittsburgh. those fuckers. gimme a t-shirt.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

"We've improved IntelliSense performance on projects and files not using precompiled headers – an Automatic Precompiled Header will be created for headers in the current file."

sweet

edit "We've added error filtering and help for IntelliSense errors in the error list. Clicking on the error column now allows for filtering. Also, clicking on the specific errors or pressing F1 will launch an online search for the error message."

hey cool they're catering to my dumb rear end

when they announced this stuff at build a while back they litterrally introduced it as the stack overflow button

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

when they announced this stuff at build a while back they litterrally introduced it as the stack overflow button

that website is like the library of Alexandria, when it tanks devs will lose like 90% of their knowledge

burning swine
May 26, 2004

so are the menu labels all still uppercase

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Is it still 32-bit-only? Does their C/C++ compiler still not have full C99 compatibility because Herb Sutter?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I didnt see anything about C99. I dont believe they have any intention of fully supporting it. MS has a C++ compiler, not a C compiler.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Now that they're starting to support LLVM and Clang, I wonder if they're gonna rip the C99 stuff that MSVC++ doesn't support out of the Clang builds they ship. :laugh:

Also, doesn't C++11 specifically include C99?

Anyway, it's a dumb line in the sand to draw IMHO.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
2013 added support for all of the c99 features that are actually useful and that real projects use

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Doc Block posted:

Now that they're starting to support LLVM and Clang, I wonder if they're gonna rip the C99 stuff that MSVC++ doesn't support out of the Clang builds they ship. :laugh:

Also, doesn't C++11 specifically include C99?

Anyway, it's a dumb line in the sand to draw IMHO.

no, eg restrict isn't in c++. can't comment on whether it's a dumb line to draw, that's probably a question of logistics and business for the MSVC compiler team.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

so are the menu labels all still uppercase

(this is from VS 2015)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Potassium Problems posted:

(this is from VS 2015)

I know, it's kind of about how absurd that all-uppercase thing was even just as a default setting

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
did you ever see the blog post justifying it?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2012/06/05/a-design-with-all-caps/

my favorite is "1) to keep Visual Studio consistent with the direction of other Microsoft user experiences". I can't think of any other app that had all caps menu titles, must have ditched that UX path pretty quickly, even Azure portal doesn't seem to have them anymore

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
all-caps menu bars was a metro thing but most metro apps didn't have menu bars so

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i use visual studio code on my mac and its not bad

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL visual studio 2017 is still a 32-bit-only program

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

at least the installer is better than 2015.

now it's just regular slow and instead of "hit start and go do something else for an hour" slow

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

at least the installer is better than 2015.

now it's just regular slow and instead of "hit start and go do something else for an hour" slow

i'd be happy with "doesn't sometimes lock up hard while netinstalling for an entire day on package 1300 of 2000."

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i only do powershell does visualstudio have anything to offer me?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

cheese-cube posted:

i only do powershell does visualstudio have anything to offer me?

It's decent for powershell and has all the addins for it, but it's not really worth using over the ISE imo unless you have massive sprawling scripting projects or you're building a module.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

It's decent for powershell and has all the addins for it, but it's not really worth using over the ISE imo unless you have massive sprawling scripting projects or you're building a module.

cools thanks mang. i do a lot of PS but never get enough time to work on building modules or anything constructive :(

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

cheese-cube posted:

cools thanks mang. i do a lot of PS but never get enough time to work on building modules or anything constructive :(

I use this personally because my whole life is in powershell these days but it isn't cheap.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

http://www.secretgeek.net/vs2008_bugeye

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i think at the point that VS becomes more viable over ISE you probably should just be writing c#

burning swine
May 26, 2004

pro av material

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Shaggar posted:

i think at the point that VS becomes more viable over ISE you probably should just be writing c#

Depends on what you're doing.

I write a ton of stuff that either integrates with SCCM or is expected to run client-side on WMF 5.0 compliant machines, so it makes sense to write in something that both has native cmdlets for various functions AND can invoke whatever it wants in .NET on a whim.

My big gripe with powershell is actually with the modules and the handling of them; most of time if something requires importing a module (looking at you, Active Directory) there's less overhead if you just write it using .NET instead of dealing with the bullshit.

Biggest powershell LOL I can think of atm: not having any cmdlets for printers until Windows 10.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 8, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Shaggar posted:

shaggar :allears:

My big gripe with powershell is actually with the modules and the handling of them; most of time if something requires importing a module (looking at you, Active Directory) there's less overhead if you just write it using .NET instead of dealing with the bullshit.

i know exactly what you mean, many of the AD PS functions have extremely massive overhead which i've personnally had to write around and is not fun. Get-ADObject is always faster than any other Get-AD* cmdlet

Biggest powershell LOL I can think of atm: not having any cmdlets for printers until Windows 10.

i've actually dabbled in this area and yeah, pre WMF 5.0 dealing with printers was turbo-hosed

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

It's not even WMF 5.0, it's straight up Windows 10 . If you are on anything less you're hosed and are better off either dealing with WMI for that poo poo or using VBScript.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Potassium Problems posted:

did you ever see the blog post justifying it?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2012/06/05/a-design-with-all-caps/

my favorite is "1) to keep Visual Studio consistent with the direction of other Microsoft user experiences". I can't think of any other app that had all caps menu titles, must have ditched that UX path pretty quickly, even Azure portal doesn't seem to have them anymore

How about the entirety of Ms office around this time

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

It's not even WMF 5.0, it's straight up Windows 10 . If you are on anything less you're hosed and are better off either dealing with WMI for that poo poo or using VBScript.

yeah now that i remember you're right, i had to fall back to WMI because jfc it's garbage there's no loving interface

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

amazing

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

don2 on November 30, 2007 21:16 sez:

Who the hell are you to be the judge of this guy's face??

That is a REAL person you are picking on. How would you feel if someone said those sorts of things about you. This is a person with feelings who can't help looking the way he looks?

I am not going to unsubscribe I am just bringing out a YELLOW CARD warning for now.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Someone post the gif version w/ the moving eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

I don't even think the guy is all that unnerving looking.

Not even close to the Gamestop guy with a long neck that was a meme for a while.

• Locked thread