Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Improbable Lobster posted:

whats so portable about it
probably that it was a single file unlike html with images, and doesn't require buying ms office unlike doc files

lol at that second one though since the last time i used the official free adobo reader program like a decade ago it was all bloated to gently caress and took as long to load as office did (think it even had one of those systray icons that loaded on boot like used to be all the rage for stuff like office back then as well?)

i guess it has come true since then though since nobody uses badobe reader any more because it's supported by everything else now and different apps do a better job at maintaining consistent formatting between each other unlike the awful formatting problems you'd get loading docx files in libreoffice or whatever. so yeah pdf is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pdf started out life as just recording the drawing commands postcript programs issued, basically distilling (term stolen as that wast the name of the program that did it) away all the programmability in postscript while still sticking to the same drawing model etc.

i suspect it is mostly considered portable in contrast to postscript, which was, and remains, a pretty demanding thing to implement fully

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i suspect it is mostly considered portable in contrast to postscript, which was, and remains, a pretty demanding thing to implement fully
postscript is one of the all-time greatest achievements in computers

but yes, it's extremely finicky and complicated

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I have to keep the actual adobe reader client installed at work because every once in a while a pdf comes along that I have to digitally sign, and apparently reader is the only loving client that can handle that

every single time I launch it, afterwards I have to go disable the service it creates, kill a bunch of always-on adobe processes, clean up scheduled tasks, reset the default viewer for pdf files

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
lol if trust adobo malware to run outside of a vm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

pdf started out life as just recording the drawing commands postcript programs issued, basically distilling (term stolen as that wast the name of the program that did it) away all the programmability in postscript while still sticking to the same drawing model etc.

i am interested in this

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I have to keep the actual adobe reader client installed at work because every once in a while a pdf comes along that I have to digitally sign, and apparently reader is the only loving client that can handle that

every single time I launch it, afterwards I have to go disable the service it creates, kill a bunch of always-on adobe processes, clean up scheduled tasks, reset the default viewer for pdf files

Preview.app works fine for this.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jony ive aces posted:

lol if trust adobo malware to run outside of a vm

or in one...

prolly safer to just run it on someone elses computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
take a screenshot and sign it in paint