Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I've seen people making actually surprisingly large amounts of money - way more than possible via working at even some decent jobs... potential for more than six figures - in strange ways online. Online poker, micro-niche, Google-exploiting spam sites, drop shipping, self-publishing romance novels, affiliate marketing. And for all of these ways, people swamped to them, and now they're only going to make you life-changing money and give you a chance at being a millionaire if you were there from the start - if they still can at all.

What else is there? I get the impression that every few years, something profitable comes up that seems surprising but actually has potential. I haven't heard of anything new within the past couple of years, though. Am I out of touch or has there really been nothing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476455

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I saw that, but those people are talking about exchanging their time repeatedly for small amounts of money. They will never make tons of money writing for twxtbroker. Even the best one night only make the equivalent of a middle class job.

Contrast to online poker- when times were good for that, a top player could make thousands of dollars in a week with less than full time play. Or be an amateur writer making six figures, while nowadays you have to be a pro level writer with top notch covers and competent marketing make like $2-3k/mo.

I guess more what I'm looking for, is not what are some standard ways to make money, but what are the recent fads that are actually have high potential?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It sounds like you are looking for a way to get rich quick, which outside of some very unique and rare circumstances, doesn't exist.

Honestly, even if it did exist, do you think whoever knew about it would go telling random strangers on the internet?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

RCarr posted:

Honestly, even if it did exist, do you think whoever knew about it would go telling random strangers on the internet?

Well how do you think I found out about the things I mentioned?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Find a market that is underserved, then find or develop a product to serve that market. Simple as that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

oliveoil posted:

Well how do you think I found out about the things I mentioned?

By waiting until the opportunity was over and hearing about it in past tense when the rest of the public did?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Eh. I heard about it when it was going downhill but still had opportunities for the most clever and hardest-working New comers. Sure, they weren't early days, and some of them I did only hear about when they were dead and fine even for the smartest newcomers, but some of those stones did have some blood left to squeeze out if you were smart.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Do you have money to develop a product? If you can develop a product you can essentially create a new market for yourself, especially if you can undercut existing suppliers in price, ease of purchase, or both. A good example of this are the numerous mattresses now available online only. Tuft and Needle, Casper, Leesa, etc. - I'm not sure who was first, but the premise was simple - an inexpensive, quality mattress with a generous return policy. One basic option, available in the various sizes (full, queen, king). Mattress shopping was worse than car shopping for a lot of people, this completely changed the marketplace and an entire industry was born. The technology wasn't anything completely new, latex mattresses already existed in some form or another, but the marketing and ease of purchase was what drove it.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Not sure if this is what you're looking for and it's definitely not glamorous, but my wife and I sell stuff on Ebay. We go out to garage sales on Thurs/Fri/Sat mornings and then put it all up over the next few days. We've been doing it for over a year now and we're starting to gross 1.5-2K a month ($2050 over the last 30 days looking at it right now), we did about 3.5K in December for Christmas. We could definitely be doing more/working harder - and there are definitely plenty of people that do something similar that make more - but it fits around our schedules and we're happy with it. I just got a "real" job now that I finished school in December, so we'll probably have to cut back significantly/completely (only go out on Saturdays at most). It is/was definitely fun and rewarding while we were doing it, but you really have to bust your rear end and spend the other days scouring all the thrift shops in the area looking for good deals if you want to do much better. Some people are really good at clothes so they can do that, but I haven't had almost any success the few times I've tried. It depends a lot on your area as well probably.

I would definitely recommend doing this to anyone that thinks they can over working a lovely retail job (which is what I was doing). Whenever I see someone complaining about making minimum wage or close to it I always just think they aren't trying hard enough now that I've been doing this. Anyone can do it, and you can definitely have a part time job and still do it, since the only mandatory hours you need are 7-10 AM Fri-Sat (Thursday is usually not too profitable but I've been doing it lately because I didn't have anything better to do). You just need a printer and at least a part of a spare room to put all your crap in. When my kid turns 16 I'm gonna tell them to get out there and start doing it if they wants some spending money.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried Chaturbate, OP?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'll give you ten bucks to rake all the leaves off my lawn.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

psymonkey posted:

I would definitely recommend doing this to anyone that thinks they can over working a lovely retail job (which is what I was doing). Whenever I see someone complaining about making minimum wage or close to it I always just think they aren't trying hard enough now that I've been doing this.

I think this is probably heavily contingent on a combination of where you live and how many other people are doing the same thing. If the number of people in your area doing this suddenly doubled or tripled you'd probably start finding it much harder to find lucrative things at nearby garage sales.

It's good advice on an individual level, but it's not like you could solve poverty by just telling all poor people to resell things on Ebay.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The poor don't work hard enough. gently caress you got mine

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.

Ytlaya posted:

I think this is probably heavily contingent on a combination of where you live and how many other people are doing the same thing. If the number of people in your area doing this suddenly doubled or tripled you'd probably start finding it much harder to find lucrative things at nearby garage sales.

It's good advice on an individual level, but it's not like you could solve poverty by just telling all poor people to resell things on Ebay.

Well actually yes anyone can do this and here is why: there are a lot of different avenues other than my own if you are just willing to be open minded and think for yo..

RCarr posted:

No.. nevermind, you're right. No one should bother looking into this, especially if you live in SE Texas, ty.

E: that was probably a little heavy handed, but after writing a page trying to justify why it's so good and easy with too many examples I realized it's not worth it to post. I wasn't telling everyone to do it. I never said I actually respond to people bitching in that manner. I prefer if they wouldn't for obvious reasons. I just believe if you're in a tight spot financially you should probably be looking for more creative avenues for money other than the obvious exploitations of society. Companies pay poo poo because they know there is an endless stream of high school kids/lazy idiots/old people willing to fill their spaces. If you fall in the middle category you should probably be looking ahead. It is very easy to supplement your income with this line of work even if you do have to take a poo poo job to keep up. But yeah, no one is going to actually give you any legit details - only an idiot/someone getting out would do that.

psymonkey fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Apr 1, 2017

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

psymonkey posted:

Ebay stuff.
I can vouch for this a bit - I did it for awhile growing up, and my parents still do it now as a side business and make good money with it. You preferably need to be in a populated area with lots of flea markets and yard sales to hit. It also takes awhile to figure out the right niche of products that sell well, have good margin, and are easy to ship. The more you do it, the better you'll get at spotting the right deals.

That being said, no, I don't think it's the quick fix for poverty. It took my parents a long time before they figured out how to turn it into a steady income, and that required a decent amount of time and money investment.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Imaduck posted:

That being said, no, I don't think it's the quick fix for poverty. It took my parents a long time before they figured out how to turn it into a steady income, and that required a decent amount of time and money investment.

Spot on, man. I've dabbled in this a few times myself, most seriously around mid 2000's where you could sell used cable modems to small internet providers. These things were dirt at the thrift stores, but sold online for at least $20.

But, unless you devote all of your time into buying and selling, you're not going to make much of a living.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

littleorv posted:

The poor don't work hard enough. gently caress you got mine

We could be a society of merchant princes, all selling each other tat on eBay. Sadly though the poors just won't work hard enough to realise the dream

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
OP I am trying my hand at building a dropshipping store. Hopefully it will be up and running within the fortnight. We plan to do some PPC advertising. If this thread is still around Ill let you know how it goes.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well.. people are generally lazy and stupid. So the more mainstream tracks like 'get a degree in something useful and then do it' are actually less populated than 'become a youtube star'.

So anything you can set up and do, from scratch, within 3 months is superficial bullshit and you'll have a harder life pursuing that crap than just staying in school like everyone tells you.

But as you're making this thread, you'd be too stupid to comprehend this.

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 5, 2017

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Mr. Montana, I have noticed that in this thread and elsewhere you have this nasty habit of being openly hostile towards people that have done nothing to you, and engaging in this weird self-righteous behavior. The worst part of it is that the 'advice' you just gave the OP is complete bunk (not to mention unrelated to the topic at hand, and with a personal insult thrown in to boot). Please stop.

As to the OP, I'd recommend checking out Kickstarter. Developing and selling an idea that you're working on / passionate about is a far better idea than trying to make it big on a "recent fad" or anything like that. If you have a working proof-of-concept and can throw together a competent Kickstarter campaign (this is important, unprofessional campaigns will scare off donors and are sure to crash and burn), it seems like a decent way to raise some capital. I've never ran my own campaign, though I'm looking to maybe launch one soon, and I really like that Kickstarter has to offer. Just don't expect to hit the jackpot and retire early. Start small, and do what you can with the resources you have.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You think that I'm always this way because you read poo poo threads. I'm this way when OPs are stupid fucks asking dumb questions.

If you advice is 'check out Kickstarter' as a way of making money online, then you are very much part of the problem.

This thread is 'I am a lazy gently caress that wants to make easy money online but all those people that came before played out a lot of that poo poo so what is the next big thing so I don't have to work?'

The answer is - nothing. If you want to subscribers on YouTube then you better be getting out your tits and if you don't have tits then you're already behind the 8 ball.

The armies of fit young idiots with nothing better to do than post constantly to their 'followers' has reached such a level of adoption that unless you're already balls deep you've missed the boat.

If you're going to do real work like editing copy or something like that why don't you just get a real job and then your mother won't think you're a loser (because you are)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

literally this big posted:

The worst part of it is that the 'advice' you just gave the OP is complete bunk (not to mention unrelated to the topic at hand, and with a personal insult thrown in to boot).
I dunno, I thought it was both funny and accurate.

As to the OP, I'd recommend checking out Kickstarter. Developing and selling an idea that you're working on / passionate about is a far better idea than trying to make it big on a "recent fad" or anything like that.
Kickstarter is a recent fad. In fact, it's not even a recent fad, it's a played out get-rich-quick fad like those the OP is using as an example. Now that it's past its prime, you have to be an 80s TV star to get funded on Kickstarter.

Lots of solid examples on how to make money over the internet both in this thread and in the thread linked in one of the first posts. If you are looking for a George Jetson button-pushing gig, we're not there yet.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Montana, I have noticed that in this thread and elsewhere you have this nasty habit of being openly hostile towards people that have done nothing to you, and engaging in this weird self-righteous behavior. The worst part of it is that the 'advice' you just gave the OP is complete bunk (not to mention unrelated to the topic at hand, and with a personal insult thrown in to boot). Please stop.

Reading that link makes me like and agree with Mr. Montana. He's mostly right and people don't want to hear it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah, Montana is being abrasive but he's not wrong. Kickstarter is a decent way to raise capital for a product launch, but it's a better way to generate awareness and create brand advocates. I have a friend of a friend who had a very successful Kickstarter and his biggest takeaway was that the capital was all but unnecessary (he sourced that prior to the Kickstarter), but it was fantastic for marketing because everyone who bought into it linked it to their friends. His product in particular was low priced and is designed as a volume seller, so for him in particular, achieving a critical mass of customers is important.

That said, the important part is to have a product that people want. The funding is there if you can find an underserved market, or an unexploited niche. There is a ton of money out there looking for an investment - the hardest part is developing something worth investing in.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
he talks about poker, yeah sure. If you're good enough at poker to win tournaments then why would you be asking this? Online or not, there are plenty of places to play poker for money.

But that's 'magical' thinking, just like 'I'm going to write an app that a million people will buy' isn't really based on anything you can put your finger on now. If it was, you'd be doing it.

So if you're actually going to just have to do it the slow boring old way (the only actual way) then I wouldn't just limit yourself to the Internet. The Internet is mostly poo poo, after all.

edit: 'recent fads that have potential', um, engineering? medicine is going pretty loving strong. law apparently sucks a lot of balls in the states so maybe don't do that. if you're computery then learn to code through one of the million free online ways..

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 5, 2017

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Tony Montana here to shed his wisdom with another lost soul. Don't let any of the haters get you down, continue to know everything and to never let petty things like 'not being a total rear end all of the time' be the roadblock to your posting super-stardom.

We should all be grateful to Tony Montana! He spends his considerable leisure time here with us Something Awful Posters, a group of people he despises and only uses to talk about the one true sport: Formula 1 racing.

Tony Montana posted:

lol 'our' generation.

The only thing I would have in common with most of the posters here is that I post about F1 in a usually lovely thread

It's the usual SA Forums thing that I should just give less of a gently caress because if I actually met most of these people for real I wouldn't give them the time of day

Keep doing god's work, Tony.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Skoll posted:

Reading that link makes me like and agree with Mr. Montana. He's mostly right and people don't want to hear it.

he's a good example of how being a massive rear end in a top hat can make someone stupid to boot

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

he's a good example of how being a massive rear end in a top hat can make someone stupid to boot

Say noted Something Awful dot com poster Jeb Bush 2012.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Montana, I have noticed that in this thread and elsewhere you have this nasty habit of being openly hostile towards people that have done nothing to you, and engaging in this weird self-righteous behavior.

Yes this is what he keeps getting banned/probated for.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This is the poo poo that lost you the election.

Nobody actually gives a poo poo about your little society of outrage.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tony Montana posted:

This is the poo poo that lost you the election.

Nobody actually gives a poo poo about your little society of outrage.

Except that they sadly do on Something Awful Dot Com.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
They really don't; it's just a perception perpetrated by certain individuals and groups.

You just call them out on it directly.

Like this, hey Scudworth. I don't think I've ever read a word of yours that wasn't mindless groupthink bullshit. What are your opinions and insight into the OPs question?

This should be good.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Do you have money to develop a product? If you can develop a product you can essentially create a new market for yourself, especially if you can undercut existing suppliers in price, ease of purchase, or both.

This four year old closed thread explains in detail how to do something like this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564355

Good luck and if you make a billion dollars OP don't forget this link I gave you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

1) set up an etsy store
2) list literally a thousand different one-of-a-kind handmade pieces of art

Really, it's that simple.

Now, you might say "I suck at art", and that's okay, by the time you're working on #1001 you'll be good enough that someone on etsy will want to buy it.

• Locked thread