Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

what's the consensus is iron good or bad or do we need to argue for a few hundred more pages

Somebody is jealous they can't get threads to 8 9 pages :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
consensus is cast iron pans are good, memes are bad

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The internet makes everything harder than it needs to be, I mostly ignore it as far as advice or instructions go nowadays after taking a week off the internet to work on my house just winging it.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Honestly it's really not that hard to take care of a cast iron pan. Wipe the thing off with a paper towel real good after use and you're fine. To me that's totally acceptable and worth having a nice heavy cast iron pan for all the various applications that are ideal for a cast iron pan. If it get's real dirty or crusted up you scrub off the crusty poo poo with a sponge that has the Brillo side and some salt only as hard as is needed to remove the crusty stuff, then put it on a hot stove and wipe it with a little tiny bit of olive oil. It's really not that hard and I enjoy the results from using cast iron for things like searing a steak or even as a substitute for a wok when making some stir fry or to fry up some potatoes to have with beans & ham w/green chili and homemade tortillas. Basically it's like any other cookware in that it's really not that drat hard and has its uses for which other things aren't a good enough substitute.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

im gonna rub my greasy body all over a pan and season it with my personal funk

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

im gonna rub my greasy body all over a pan and season it with my personal funk

gently caress yeah dude, give it that nefarious flavor.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Can i use vaseline to season the pan?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

actually yes, but using mineral oil would be similar and a lot easier

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

if you would like to purchase one of my patented nefarious funk pans buy me plat and then pm me. i will deliver it to you for the low low price of $420.69

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

All of the extra care I hear about that makes people not want cast iron baffles me. It's like hearing "I won't own a car made in the year 1998 because it will spontaneously combust if you don't rub the paint down with bull semen once a month".

It's not any more special than any other cookware, but gently caress, all you have to do is cook in it.

This is kind of silly because in 1998 they still used the good toxic paint that was tough as hell. Modern environmentally friendly car paint is pretty fragile poo poo.

• Locked thread