Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You talk to anybody today and they're telling you about how great their cast iron pan is. I'm sick of this, they're fussy high maintenance items that just make everything you cook in it taste like the last twelve meals you had. Why in the gently caress do I need to "season" a cooking utensil? You know what is low maintenance, wipe-cleanable and lets you taste what you're actually cooking? Teflon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i dont eben know what to say you loving noob

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
can you bludgeon a home invader to death with a teflon pan?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Can you sick a Teflon pan up your rear end in a top hat and masturbate to completion???

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

1500quidporsche posted:

You talk to anybody today and they're telling you about how great their cast iron pan is. I'm sick of this, they're fussy high maintenance items that just make everything you cook in it taste like the last twelve meals you had. Why in the gently caress do I need to "season" a cooking utensil? You know what is low maintenance, wipe-cleanable and lets you taste what you're actually cooking? Teflon.

This actually made me lol as I used Teflon pans for ages but got fed up as they couldn't sear a steak very well and bought a cast iron pan, and then proceeded to tell everyone it was a bitch to maintain but the steak is awesome. I had no idea I was part of a fad.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
cast iron pans are not difficult to deal with unless you have an old rusty one. it takes like 10 minutes of active work to season a cast iron skillet and you basically only need to do that once in the pan's lifetime unless something drastic happens

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
enameled cast iron skillets and dutch ovens and stuff are the way to go imo. lodge makes some real good cheap ones so you dont have garbage teflon which scratches off and becomes p grody. ive had some of their stuff for years and it still looks almost brand new

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

cast iron pans are not difficult to deal with unless you have an old rusty one. it takes like 10 minutes of active work to season a cast iron skillet and you basically only need to do that once in the pan's lifetime unless something drastic happens

Uh no you need to season it every time so food doesn't stick, and strip the grease with hot water and steel wool every time you cook meat.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Cast iron pans are the most overrated kitchen utensil

Like, they serve their purpose but there's little to them beyond being cheap & indestructible

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Cast iron pans are actually pretty brittle and shouldn't be used to smash a bad guy flat-wise or stop a bullet. You use it edge on for sure

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Like, they serve their purpose but there's little to them beyond being cheap & indestructible

What more do you want?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

What more do you want?

Imagine cooking a meal where you can actually taste what you're cooking in your pan by the end of it and then cleaning it up you just run some soapy water and wipe it clean with a sponge.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

they aren't cheap tho

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I don't even know why you'd ruin your food by cooking on a stove. Open fire + wood spit is where its at.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
what are the stats of a Cast Iron Pan

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Have a cast iron grill pan instead for doing things on i need those sexy grill marks. (A real grill isnt in the cards)

I like that they will last basically thousands of years. Everything else really there isnt much point

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

Putty posted:

what are the stats of a Cast Iron Pan

Have you seen tangled

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

they aren't cheap tho

this is purely because they are fad items its not like the material cost of iron is significant or the labor cost of casting a pan is expensive what is this the late 1600's

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

Imagine cooking a meal where you can actually taste what you're cooking in your pan by the end of it and then cleaning it up you just run some soapy water and wipe it clean with a sponge.

you can wash a cast iron pan with soap and water

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
its like how my coffee machine cost thirty dollars and it has a bunch of electronics and pumps and heaters and a dot matrix screen and the french press i have cost twenty five dollars and its basically a piece of glass and a sieve

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

1500quidporsche posted:

You're not supposed to leave the crusties on the cast iron! :catstare:

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Things goons don't like #3654237: Cast iron pans

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

nigga crab pollock posted:

its like how my coffee machine cost thirty dollars and it has a bunch of electronics and pumps and heaters and a dot matrix screen and the french press i have cost twenty five dollars and its basically a piece of glass and a sieve

It's called economies of scale

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
My mom always cooked on cast iron and now I do too. It's great because they're oven safe and you can get them rocket hot, much hotter than Teflon. Are they as non stick as Teflon? No, anyone who tells you otherwise is lying, but they're lower upkeep than you make out and last a lifetime.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

you can wash a cast iron pan with soap and water

All the experts recommend you don't scrub so you have the luxury of cooking in rancid oil unless you're a restaurant that uses it every single day. Again the teflon is wipe cleanable.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Sounds like someone's jealous :smuggo:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

It's called economies of scale

oooooh look who took a business class at the community college

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

All the experts recommend you don't scrub so you have the luxury of cooking in rancid oil unless you're a restaurant that uses it every single day. Again the teflon is wipe cleanable.

Source? You avoid using soap but can use both sponges, water and scouring pads.

I clean mine after a messy meal or about as regularly as cleaning bedsheets.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Uh no you need to season it every time so food doesn't stick, and strip the grease with hot water and steel wool every time you cook meat.

I can't tell if this is ironic or not

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
cast iron is cool but just lmao if you cook tomato sauce in it like some loving n00b scrub

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

cast iron is cool but just lmao if you cook tomato sauce in it like some loving n00b scrub

what happens does the acid gently caress it up or something

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tolkien minority posted:

I can't tell if this is ironic or not

Seasoning means you put oil on it and heat it up, not use rancid grease from last month ffs.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
you absolutely can use soap on a cast iron pan. i wash mine w/ soap p much every time i use it and the seasoning is still beautiful glossy black. if soap makes your seasoning come off you didn't do it right

cast iron is literally easier to maintain than teflon, you can jab it with whatever cooking utensils you want without accidentally scraping carcinogenic flakes into your food

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I wash mine with soap and water, dry it off over the stove and then oil it down. Maybe I'm doing it wrong :shrug:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

What more do you want?

It would be nice if they didn't cause every kind of food to stick and form a crust, especially now that they cheap out and come with a rough non-polished cooking surface. The vintage ones that come with a mirror-smooth surface are exempt from this complaint of course

It would be a lot more convenient if they could handle getting washed with soap like every other kitchen utensil...instead you gotta wash them separately and scrub with steel wool

Finally they're heavy. As a buff goon I can handle them with ease but you can't really hang them like other pans, and many shelves/cabinets will buckle under their load.

I would be willing to put up with all this if they offered copper-like conductivity but it takes a while for them to heat up and they're prone to hot-spots.

Cast-iron is ok but there's little advantage to using it over any other kind of uncoated cooking material. just my thoughts though, who gives a poo poo really

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

in ye olde times tomatoes would cause the lead in pewter plates to separate and people got lead poisoning. poor people ate off wooden plates so tomatoes were fine for them :hellyeah: eat poo poo rich people

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I sigh and draw my Teflon skillet.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

It would be nice if they didn't cause every kind of food to stick and form a crust, especially now that they cheap out and come with a rough non-polished cooking surface. The vintage ones that come with a mirror-smooth surface are exempt from this complaint of course

It would be a lot more convenient if they could handle getting washed with soap like every other kitchen utensil...instead you gotta wash them separately and scrub with steel wool

Finally they're heavy. As a buff goon I can handle them with ease but you can't really hang them like other pans, and many shelves/cabinets will buckle under their load.

I would be willing to put up with all this if they offered copper-like conductivity but it takes a while for them to heat up and they're prone to hot-spots.

Cast-iron is ok but there's little advantage to using it over any other kind of uncoated cooking material. just my thoughts though, who gives a poo poo really

i give a poo poo buddy thank you for sharing

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

there's a roger moore bond movie where m meets him in his kitchen and everything is copper so im gonna say copper is best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
I mined and smelted my skillet just like they did in the olden days.

• Locked thread