Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

these are so dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Regrettable posted:

I don't know if I would consider the show to be family friendly considering a lot of people die throughout the series and there are episodes like Dark Harvest where Zim steals the other children's vital organs to appear more human.

have you ever read Johnny the Homicidal Maniac or Squee

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Regrettable posted:

I don't know if I would consider the show to be family friendly considering a lot of people die throughout the series and there are episodes like Dark Harvest where Zim steals the other children's vital organs to appear more human.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET-veNOQ5V0

(Iggins was supposed to die in an elevator crash and Nickelodeon wouldn't allow it. This appears at the end of the episode to fix it)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ChickenHeart posted:

I am going to watch this despite my hatred for the show's fanbase and the realization that GIR's character stopped being funny about two episodes in.

I wonder if they're going to follow the recent comics and have it turn out that Dib was spending the last few years watching Zim's house from a computer and turning into a huge gross goon

Gir was not supposed to be funny and was supposed to be incredibly irritating.

They were shocked enough when people thought the garbage robot was cute, they couldn't have predicted that he'd be the model for modern youtube personalities.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mad Hamish posted:

The school election episode is one of my favourites.

"SCHOOL SCHOOL SCHOOL YAY SCHOOL!"

Knight posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET-veNOQ5V0

(Iggins was supposed to die in an elevator crash and Nickelodeon wouldn't allow it. This appears at the end of the episode to fix it)

It's as nonsensical as the rest of the show so it works.

hseroK divaD
Jun 3, 2011

Creepy Richard will keep leering at you NON-STOP!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Gir was not supposed to be funny and was supposed to be incredibly irritating.

They were shocked enough when people thought the garbage robot was cute, they couldn't have predicted that he'd be the model for modern youtube personalities.

hi every1 im new!!!!!!! holds up spork my name is katy but u can call me t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m!!!!!!!! lol…as u can see im very random!!!! thats why i came here, 2 meet random ppl like me _… im 13 years old (im mature 4 my age tho!!) i like 2 watch invader zim w/ my girlfreind (im bi if u dont like it deal w/it) its our favorite tv show!!! bcuz its SOOOO random!!!! shes random 2 of course but i want 2 meet more random ppl =) like they say the more the merrier!!!! lol…neways i hope 2 make alot of freinds here so give me lots of commentses!!!!
DOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <--- me bein random again _^ hehe…toodles!!!!!

love and waffles,

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
this late to the party invader zim really hasn't aged very well and unless its different enough to make all of the fans call it bad, its going to be really fuckin bad

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The coolest thing about the Zim comics is they pushed Gir down to small moments and no one says Doom or piggies.

And Dib's still the best character.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
I assume zim was family-friendly, but it scared me as a child. I don't really remember any of the show now, so that's really all I have to say. Thanks for listening.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Julius CSAR posted:

My ex girlfriend who had borderline personality disorder was real into this poo poo

raelly make s u think

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm happy about this until all of my carefully crafted headcanon is ruined in which case i'm terribly angry.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

unpleasantly turgid posted:

I assume zim was family-friendly, but it scared me as a child.

It kinda wasn't. Nothing terrible but your reaction is normal and you're more than likely a better person for it!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
The two best parts of zim are that weird scene where zim and dib are yelling across the road and zim can't hear and the reason is that they were supposed to animate cars but didn't want to because it was funnier not making any sense and the part where the santa suit is made of "a vortian liquid" and everyone thought it said "abortion liquid" and it still kinda sounds like it probably does say that.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The two best parts of zim are that weird scene where zim and dib are yelling across the road and zim can't hear and the reason is that they were supposed to animate cars but didn't want to because it was funnier not making any sense and the part where the santa suit is made of "a vortian liquid" and everyone thought it said "abortion liquid" and it still kinda sounds like it probably does say that.

Lol, Zim ranting in front of the camera in the Santa suit was supposed to be Hulk Hogan/Randy Savage -esque but they nixed it for some reason.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

that weird scene where zim and dib are yelling across the road and zim can't hear and the reason is that they were supposed to animate cars but didn't want to because it was funnier not making any sense

in the same vein, there was an episode where they had had a walk cycle of the lower half of a security guard's body that was cut off too low for the background of the shot he was supposed to appear in, making him look gigantic, so they just put in giant footstep sound effects and a pitched-down laugh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like when they forgot to color in Membrane's legs, so it looks like he has no pants in the Christmas episode.

But one of the best sound gags in the show is when Gir comes home after this rave with all these girls, and he waves goodbye as they drive off, and you hear this HORRIFIC crash in the background.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

nigga crab pollock posted:

this late to the party invader zim really hasn't aged very well and unless its different enough to make all of the fans call it bad, its going to be really fuckin bad
The recent comic is really good so no. This could be amazing.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

CelticPredator posted:

I like when they forgot to color in Membrane's legs, so it looks like he has no pants in the Christmas episode.

But one of the best sound gags in the show is when Gir comes home after this rave with all these girls, and he waves goodbye as they drive off, and you hear this HORRIFIC crash in the background.

The two things that need to come over from the original series is the crushing atmosphere of contempt the show has for everyone in it, and loads of unnecessary, disturbing ADR inserted into every scene.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Invader Zim is in fact still good. If anything the first few issues of JTHM are more cringe worthy than any episode of Invader Zim.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
If anything the fact that its a kids show helps keeps the over-the-top edgy crap from JV's other works from seeping in while allowing for some bending/challenging of the standard, kinda like how the old Ren and Stimpy went down.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

skeletonotherkin posted:

Invader Zim is in fact still good. If anything the first few issues of JTHM are more cringe worthy than any episode of Invader Zim.

I haven't read it in like 15 years but the issue where Johnny is barely in it might have been the best
it's just Devi Tess and that bald shitheadKrik escaping Johnny's impossibly large nightmare of a house as the "moose" in the walls is just fuckign annihilating everything. the doughboys' death scene and the reveal at the end that there's literally nothing left but the house blew my 12 year old mind. my first introduction to lovecraftian horror, too

(not sure if it's worth spoiling but just in case)

Cubone fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 7, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I saw this and was pretty jazzed and then had like four people I consider otherwise perfectly rational human beings sing the loving Doom song at me so now I'm pretty sure that I don't want this at all.

skeletonotherkin posted:

This is gospel truth.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Cubone posted:

I haven't read it in like 15 years but the issue where Johnny is barely in it might have been the best
it's just Devi and that bald shithead escaping Johnny's impossibly large nightmare of a house as the "moose" in the walls is just fuckign annihilating everything. the doughboys' death scene and the reveal at the end that there's literally nothing left but the house blew my 12 year old mind. my first introduction to lovecraftian horror, too

(not sure if it's worth spoiling but just in case)

Yeah JTHM got better once Jhonen realized he should hammer home the point that Johnny was in fact not cool, but rather an incredibly broken human being who is not to be emulated. Also the revelation that Nny's condition was at least partially due to malevolent supernatural causes helped. Sqee was his best comic.

skeletonotherkin fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 7, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vasquez was pretty young when he wrote JTHM, and it reflects that fact. It doesn't hold up, but it does work very well when you're a young teen. So hey.

Squee is much, much better. The one where Squee has to pee and the guy in the stall explodes in a shower of blood and poo poo is the funniest thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Actually, Jhonen's best comic so far is Zim issue #5. Where Dib shuts off Gaz's game so she could come and look at his "findings" and she sends him into a nightmare game world and tortures him endlessly. It's got some great jokes, and it ends with genuine heart which is weird for a Zim story to do. But it also ends with pain which is funny.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Zim was the sellout family-friendly thing Jhonen Vasquez produced, let me know when they're making Johnny the Homicidal Maniac or I Feel Sick into a tv movie

Invader Zim was actually funny and had good pacing those other two are weepy doom goth twee poo poo that masturbates about revenge fantasy torture

Cubone
May 26, 2011

iirc I Feel Sick was more about just making peace with your damage

Devi is contrasted with Johnny because she doesn't buy into the delusion or whatever
her sole heroic quality by the end of it is realizing that, even if she'll never be happy, that doesn't mean she should be a huge malignant piece of poo poo about it

really, that's the lesson in all three series.
all the protagonists suffer, but where Squee rolls over and suffers more, and Johnny is the worst piece of poo poo in the universe and no better off for it, Devi takes no poo poo but does no harm, and has the closest thing to a happy ending

e: I'm a nerd, sorry.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

have you ever read Johnny the Homicidal Maniac or Squee

Not Squee, but I've read JtHM. I realize Zim is nowhere near as violent or hosed up, but I still wouldn't really consider it family friendly.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
JTHM and IZ where something I enjoyed....I think though they probably belong in the late 1990's.

Also why is nick doing this now? They hated zim....I never forget when i went to watch zim and it was replaced with butt ugly marshions

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Ups_rail posted:

JTHM and IZ where something I enjoyed....I think though they probably belong in the late 1990's.

Also why is nick doing this now? They hated zim....I never forget when i went to watch zim and it was replaced with butt ugly marshions

It turns out manchildren have the most money out of any of their demographics.

Who knew.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
A cartoon made by a misanthrope, for the misanthropes.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Cubone posted:

iirc I Feel Sick was more about just making peace with your damage

Devi is contrasted with Johnny because she doesn't buy into the delusion or whatever
her sole heroic quality by the end of it is realizing that, even if she'll never be happy, that doesn't mean she should be a huge malignant piece of poo poo about it

really, that's the lesson in all three series.
all the protagonists suffer, but where Squee rolls over and suffers more, and Johnny is the worst piece of poo poo in the universe and no better off for it, Devi takes no poo poo but does no harm, and has the closest thing to a happy ending

e: I'm a nerd, sorry.

Youre right though

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Really enjoying Jhonen just loving around literally constantly
https://twitter.com/JhonenV/status/850415715467149313

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

i know that vasquez has to sell this to the emotionally arrested young adults who still think zim is good but god drat is reading his tweets painful

• Locked thread